Skip to main content

Starting on lightwave

Submitted by bullet21 on
Forum

Hi guys, i just bought lightwave (second Hand). I've been using Gmax but wanted to step up. Iwent for lightwave coz 3dsmax would probably be very slow on my PC. So can someone out there who uses lightwave please tell me how to get started i know there are some sumean lightwavers (davidcoen). I would like to get into chharacter modelling especially.
All help is appreciated.

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 18/01/04 - 8:18 AM Permalink

I have never used LW, but would love to give it a go one day.

Always check out the creator's website first. They will either have some good tutes or links to good tutes.

Here are some general 3D links as well as a few that I just found by doing a bit of browsing.
www.cgtalk.com
www.cgchannel.com
www.highend3d.com
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/
http://www.luxology.net/index_d.aspx
http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid/index.php

Don't be afriad to look and try things out.

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Sun, 18/01/04 - 11:07 AM Permalink

Well If you got the manual with it thats the best place to start, if you didnt it might actually be on the disk in a PDF, for me with Max the manual was the most usefull for pretty much everything I've wanted to learn. Also there should be some tutorials or a quick user guide that come with it.

Submitted by davidcoen on Mon, 19/01/04 - 11:54 AM Permalink

dear god, (i've been programming for the last 3 moths, lightwave was a long time ago...) um, 'shift +' right click, right click, right click, 'p' (make poly out of selected vert) 'cntr t' to deform selected part of mesh, space bar to toggel through modes, '/' to deselect...

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 21/01/04 - 4:28 AM Permalink

I checked some websites didn't really help, I read the manual pain in the postirial opening for no good reason and i would follow davidcoens advice if i was smoking the same thing he was when he wrote it.

All the other software packages out there have learning editions, but i don't think lightwave does. This is why i feel like i've wasted 700 big ones buying the full package. I have no idea and find my self trying to learn 3D all over again.

I've heard rumours of a Lightwave Discovery Edition but i think they are just rumours. Can someone please help me. Is there a Discovery edition. How do I learn?

P.S About to give up and cry [xx(][V][?][:(]
700 big ones, wut was i thinking[xx(][V][?][:(]
Am I the only Lightwaver here[xx(][V][?][:(]
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh[xx(][V][?][:(]

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 21/01/04 - 9:04 AM Permalink

Just stick with it. Don't get so discouraged so quickly. Start off really simple. I mean try making a box and then just extruding faces. Nothing too difficult. It doesn't even have to be anything with a purpose. Don't try making a character as your first project, you will just fall flat on your arse and end up frustrated.

A really good way to learn tool's functions is to just make some basic geometry and then apply each tool at a time. Learn how to use each tool to begin with. Even if you don't think you will ever need it, it can be good to know how it works. Don't be afraid if you break it, it is the first step to learning what not to do (you learn from your mistakes after all :D).

If you crash LW, re-open it. If you crash your comp, re-start it. No perminent damage will be done. The amount of times I crashed Max and Maya by doing the most stupid and ridiculous shit is beyond count. The best one was making a sphere in Maya with 1000faces and applying a Smooth with 4 iterations. Needless to say my comp didn't like that. I have tried using hardware renderers that dont support my card. Name it I have done it.

If you are having troubles learning the interface then read through each chapter of the help file. Word by word. Read everything. I don't think that LW's help file could be any worse than Maya 3x's help file. It took me two days to learn how to move the Perspective Camera :p

Just start slowly and go from there. Just be patient and persistant. Very few people can open a package and make the most unbelievable character straight away (I'm looking your way here Inglis :) ).

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 28/01/04 - 10:34 PM Permalink

Well it looks like the Lightwave Discovery edition is not just a rumour. I use bigpond cable and i went to there download section and i found they had a special section for 3D. It had not only the Lightwave Discovery Edition but it had a gameSpace trial version as well. I downloaded both and have taken quite a liking to Gamespace. Quite easy and 3DBuzz's VTM's for it are great. I highly recommend there downlaod site. heres the link for it. http://files.bigpond.com/library/

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 28/01/04 - 11:59 PM Permalink

well, as with any package, the best way is to do. See all those buttons and sliders and icons? Click them. Click them all. One after the other until you figure out what they do and how they can help you. Most people do this while they go through the source material/manual/online tutorials/3rd party books. Most people never stop doing this. Find a new button, click it. Click it now and keep clicking 'til you find out what it does. I think that sums up my guide to learning packages [:)]

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 29/01/04 - 10:13 AM Permalink

sorry, i have been using lightwave for 10years and don't nessesarraliy even know where the buttons are in your unknown version of lightwave ( I just use the keyboard shortcuts)

i would still say that lightwave has the best low poly tools hands down, and yes i have use a lot of other software products

the basics are shift 'p' to place a point in point mode and wait a second. there is a thing called a manual. have you tried reading it before blaming me for wasting 700$. read the fu king manual, 'i can't instantly learn somethinging by rubbing it in my face, i give up now...'?

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 29/01/04 - 6:58 PM Permalink

Sorry if it seemed like i was blaming u but i wasn't blaming anyone please don't hurt me david, we're all freinds here come on no violance please.

Posted by bullet21 on
Forum

Hi guys, i just bought lightwave (second Hand). I've been using Gmax but wanted to step up. Iwent for lightwave coz 3dsmax would probably be very slow on my PC. So can someone out there who uses lightwave please tell me how to get started i know there are some sumean lightwavers (davidcoen). I would like to get into chharacter modelling especially.
All help is appreciated.

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 18/01/04 - 8:18 AM Permalink

I have never used LW, but would love to give it a go one day.

Always check out the creator's website first. They will either have some good tutes or links to good tutes.

Here are some general 3D links as well as a few that I just found by doing a bit of browsing.
www.cgtalk.com
www.cgchannel.com
www.highend3d.com
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/
http://www.luxology.net/index_d.aspx
http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid/index.php

Don't be afriad to look and try things out.

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Sun, 18/01/04 - 11:07 AM Permalink

Well If you got the manual with it thats the best place to start, if you didnt it might actually be on the disk in a PDF, for me with Max the manual was the most usefull for pretty much everything I've wanted to learn. Also there should be some tutorials or a quick user guide that come with it.

Submitted by davidcoen on Mon, 19/01/04 - 11:54 AM Permalink

dear god, (i've been programming for the last 3 moths, lightwave was a long time ago...) um, 'shift +' right click, right click, right click, 'p' (make poly out of selected vert) 'cntr t' to deform selected part of mesh, space bar to toggel through modes, '/' to deselect...

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 21/01/04 - 4:28 AM Permalink

I checked some websites didn't really help, I read the manual pain in the postirial opening for no good reason and i would follow davidcoens advice if i was smoking the same thing he was when he wrote it.

All the other software packages out there have learning editions, but i don't think lightwave does. This is why i feel like i've wasted 700 big ones buying the full package. I have no idea and find my self trying to learn 3D all over again.

I've heard rumours of a Lightwave Discovery Edition but i think they are just rumours. Can someone please help me. Is there a Discovery edition. How do I learn?

P.S About to give up and cry [xx(][V][?][:(]
700 big ones, wut was i thinking[xx(][V][?][:(]
Am I the only Lightwaver here[xx(][V][?][:(]
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh[xx(][V][?][:(]

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 21/01/04 - 9:04 AM Permalink

Just stick with it. Don't get so discouraged so quickly. Start off really simple. I mean try making a box and then just extruding faces. Nothing too difficult. It doesn't even have to be anything with a purpose. Don't try making a character as your first project, you will just fall flat on your arse and end up frustrated.

A really good way to learn tool's functions is to just make some basic geometry and then apply each tool at a time. Learn how to use each tool to begin with. Even if you don't think you will ever need it, it can be good to know how it works. Don't be afraid if you break it, it is the first step to learning what not to do (you learn from your mistakes after all :D).

If you crash LW, re-open it. If you crash your comp, re-start it. No perminent damage will be done. The amount of times I crashed Max and Maya by doing the most stupid and ridiculous shit is beyond count. The best one was making a sphere in Maya with 1000faces and applying a Smooth with 4 iterations. Needless to say my comp didn't like that. I have tried using hardware renderers that dont support my card. Name it I have done it.

If you are having troubles learning the interface then read through each chapter of the help file. Word by word. Read everything. I don't think that LW's help file could be any worse than Maya 3x's help file. It took me two days to learn how to move the Perspective Camera :p

Just start slowly and go from there. Just be patient and persistant. Very few people can open a package and make the most unbelievable character straight away (I'm looking your way here Inglis :) ).

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 28/01/04 - 10:34 PM Permalink

Well it looks like the Lightwave Discovery edition is not just a rumour. I use bigpond cable and i went to there download section and i found they had a special section for 3D. It had not only the Lightwave Discovery Edition but it had a gameSpace trial version as well. I downloaded both and have taken quite a liking to Gamespace. Quite easy and 3DBuzz's VTM's for it are great. I highly recommend there downlaod site. heres the link for it. http://files.bigpond.com/library/

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 28/01/04 - 11:59 PM Permalink

well, as with any package, the best way is to do. See all those buttons and sliders and icons? Click them. Click them all. One after the other until you figure out what they do and how they can help you. Most people do this while they go through the source material/manual/online tutorials/3rd party books. Most people never stop doing this. Find a new button, click it. Click it now and keep clicking 'til you find out what it does. I think that sums up my guide to learning packages [:)]

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 29/01/04 - 10:13 AM Permalink

sorry, i have been using lightwave for 10years and don't nessesarraliy even know where the buttons are in your unknown version of lightwave ( I just use the keyboard shortcuts)

i would still say that lightwave has the best low poly tools hands down, and yes i have use a lot of other software products

the basics are shift 'p' to place a point in point mode and wait a second. there is a thing called a manual. have you tried reading it before blaming me for wasting 700$. read the fu king manual, 'i can't instantly learn somethinging by rubbing it in my face, i give up now...'?

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 29/01/04 - 6:58 PM Permalink

Sorry if it seemed like i was blaming u but i wasn't blaming anyone please don't hurt me david, we're all freinds here come on no violance please.