Skip to main content

Fan art: Willow

Also posted this on the frontpage but I always love getting feedback from these forums, they always point me in the right direction.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/25_Willow_wip_LL.jpg[/img]

Had a terrible time researching this one, you try looking at pictures of Alison Hannigan for hours on end! [;)]

Submitted by J I Styles on Sun, 17/10/04 - 5:29 PM Permalink

aww, I was looking forward to midgets too [:(]

good start, main point I'd give is to firstly give her head a bit more brain room in the back (looks like you may have overcompensated for her mass of hair), and she looks to be suffering a little from "three quarter referance syndrome" (looks good from the front, and the side, but the depth and volume suffers a little from mostly perspective correction from referance).

Submitted by Leviron on Fri, 22/10/04 - 6:30 PM Permalink

How about some creases on her pants?

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 22/12/04 - 10:26 AM Permalink

coming along Wiz :)
Her propertions look good, i like the cloth across her chest.
Not a big fan of the open mouth look though.
Her hair looks alright, but it seems alittle thin and very light, like there isnt many layers of hair underneath. Though this myabe cause it isnt finished yet! :P
How are you going to tackle the various folds and wrinkles on her clothes?
Will you be texturing her?

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 22/12/04 - 8:56 PM Permalink

Cheers Makk, I'm happy with her proportions too. I don't think anyone ever is a fan of the open mouth look but it's helpful for later steps like texturing and animation.

You could be right about the hair, I think it may be due to a lack of shadows though, I'll try and get a thicker more lustrous look going on.

I've already been modelling in a lot of wrinkles and folds in her clothing and it's a very time consuming process for me (mostly cause a lot of it involves experimentation) so stay tuned and I'll post some more results on that soon.

Of course I'll be texturing her, the question you should be asking is, will it be any good? ;)

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 23/12/04 - 3:00 AM Permalink

just a quick tip, if you're using shag, try playing with the strand thickness renderer -- it's default of 1.5 is evil, and results in the muddy look when you get a dense heap of hair... only really useful set at that for faux and fur type o' stuff.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Thu, 23/12/04 - 3:13 AM Permalink

By that do you mean the thickness spinner in the parameters rollout of the shag:hair effect or is it something I'm missing? I think I may have found it, is it the thick render dialog in the Shag:render rollout? I'll have a fiddle...

Submitted by xyz on Sat, 01/01/05 - 2:13 AM Permalink

Does her hair have to part in the middle of the head ?

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sat, 01/01/05 - 5:00 AM Permalink

Weird that is, went and checked the reference pic for the hairstyle which I thought was parted right down the middle but it's actually slightly off to one side, thanks for bringing that to my attention xyz, I'll be correcting that soon, should give it a more natural look.

Also posted this on the frontpage but I always love getting feedback from these forums, they always point me in the right direction.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/25_Willow_wip_LL.jpg[/img]

Had a terrible time researching this one, you try looking at pictures of Alison Hannigan for hours on end! [;)]

Submitted by J I Styles on Sun, 17/10/04 - 5:29 PM Permalink

aww, I was looking forward to midgets too [:(]

good start, main point I'd give is to firstly give her head a bit more brain room in the back (looks like you may have overcompensated for her mass of hair), and she looks to be suffering a little from "three quarter referance syndrome" (looks good from the front, and the side, but the depth and volume suffers a little from mostly perspective correction from referance).

Submitted by Leviron on Fri, 22/10/04 - 6:30 PM Permalink

How about some creases on her pants?

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 22/12/04 - 10:26 AM Permalink

coming along Wiz :)
Her propertions look good, i like the cloth across her chest.
Not a big fan of the open mouth look though.
Her hair looks alright, but it seems alittle thin and very light, like there isnt many layers of hair underneath. Though this myabe cause it isnt finished yet! :P
How are you going to tackle the various folds and wrinkles on her clothes?
Will you be texturing her?

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 22/12/04 - 8:56 PM Permalink

Cheers Makk, I'm happy with her proportions too. I don't think anyone ever is a fan of the open mouth look but it's helpful for later steps like texturing and animation.

You could be right about the hair, I think it may be due to a lack of shadows though, I'll try and get a thicker more lustrous look going on.

I've already been modelling in a lot of wrinkles and folds in her clothing and it's a very time consuming process for me (mostly cause a lot of it involves experimentation) so stay tuned and I'll post some more results on that soon.

Of course I'll be texturing her, the question you should be asking is, will it be any good? ;)

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 23/12/04 - 3:00 AM Permalink

just a quick tip, if you're using shag, try playing with the strand thickness renderer -- it's default of 1.5 is evil, and results in the muddy look when you get a dense heap of hair... only really useful set at that for faux and fur type o' stuff.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Thu, 23/12/04 - 3:13 AM Permalink

By that do you mean the thickness spinner in the parameters rollout of the shag:hair effect or is it something I'm missing? I think I may have found it, is it the thick render dialog in the Shag:render rollout? I'll have a fiddle...

Submitted by xyz on Sat, 01/01/05 - 2:13 AM Permalink

Does her hair have to part in the middle of the head ?

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sat, 01/01/05 - 5:00 AM Permalink

Weird that is, went and checked the reference pic for the hairstyle which I thought was parted right down the middle but it's actually slightly off to one side, thanks for bringing that to my attention xyz, I'll be correcting that soon, should give it a more natural look.