Skip to main content

modelling a hand

Submitted by MoonUnit on
Forum

ive made my attempts and they all stink frankly. i was wondering if anyone had any links to good tutorials for making hands (low poly)

oh and im working with 3DSMax R3 ( :( )

thanks for the help (its for this project: http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1173 )

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 15/12/03 - 5:12 AM Permalink

Just a word of advice more than anything, but not only are they hard to find, but crawling through tutorials that deal with specifics in modelling rather than working at improving modelling skills wholistically is a very bad idea. Don't look for a tutorial telling you how to model a hand. This leads to the very bad practice of relying on someone to guide you through steps, instead of learning how to just do it.

Look for tutorials on how to model. Not anything specific. Just go through the tools and learn what they do and how to use them. Then look at hand referances - study hands (you have two of the best references sitting right in front of you).

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 15/12/03 - 8:46 AM Permalink

JI hit it straight on. Most of what I have learnt has come from looking at other peoples wires and trying to make them better. ie, follow muscles better or save on polys. Look at your hands, ask friends if you can take photos of their hands. Even look on the net.

Your best bet if you really want tutes is to look for complete character tutes. Go from there.

Posted by MoonUnit on
Forum

ive made my attempts and they all stink frankly. i was wondering if anyone had any links to good tutorials for making hands (low poly)

oh and im working with 3DSMax R3 ( :( )

thanks for the help (its for this project: http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1173 )

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 15/12/03 - 5:12 AM Permalink

Just a word of advice more than anything, but not only are they hard to find, but crawling through tutorials that deal with specifics in modelling rather than working at improving modelling skills wholistically is a very bad idea. Don't look for a tutorial telling you how to model a hand. This leads to the very bad practice of relying on someone to guide you through steps, instead of learning how to just do it.

Look for tutorials on how to model. Not anything specific. Just go through the tools and learn what they do and how to use them. Then look at hand referances - study hands (you have two of the best references sitting right in front of you).

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 15/12/03 - 8:46 AM Permalink

JI hit it straight on. Most of what I have learnt has come from looking at other peoples wires and trying to make them better. ie, follow muscles better or save on polys. Look at your hands, ask friends if you can take photos of their hands. Even look on the net.

Your best bet if you really want tutes is to look for complete character tutes. Go from there.