Skip to main content

Give me some beefy tech demos

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

Ok, I've upgraded to a P4 3ghz machine and I'll be getting a 9700 pro tomorrow (for $135!), so if any of you know some tech demos that will push my machines capabilites a bit and wow me with some awesome visuals, I'd greatly appreciate it. [:)]

btw, I've been checking out Doom3, Battlefield 2 and UT2k4 on the highest settings and they've been pretty cool. [:)]

Submitted by Rahnem on Mon, 15/08/05 - 5:49 PM Permalink

You could try the FEAR demo. It's the first game to use virtual displacement mapping. However, they only seem to use it on decals from what I saw.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 20/08/05 - 1:26 AM Permalink

I remember a farcry 2 tech demo floating around.... at the time it reduced our machines to smouldering piles of metal and plastic when on high detail mode and 1600 x 1200 res, though ive lost track of it anyone share ?

Submitted by souri on Mon, 12/09/05 - 11:55 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by redwyre

http://pouet.net/prod.php?which=18350

Hehe.. I can't believe the Assembly party is still going. I used to download those demos all the time on the Amiga over 10 years ago (has it been that long ago!)

Anyways, I spotted this really cool tech demo. It's 20mbs and it's amazing [:)] [url="http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/"]Real-Time High Dynamic Range Image-Based Lighting[/url]. (this demo is 2 years old [:0])

Submitted by Grover on Tue, 04/10/05 - 11:08 AM Permalink

Thank god for demo parties!!.. may scene.org live forever. Those two demos are awesome :)

Posted by souri on
Forum

Ok, I've upgraded to a P4 3ghz machine and I'll be getting a 9700 pro tomorrow (for $135!), so if any of you know some tech demos that will push my machines capabilites a bit and wow me with some awesome visuals, I'd greatly appreciate it. [:)]

btw, I've been checking out Doom3, Battlefield 2 and UT2k4 on the highest settings and they've been pretty cool. [:)]

Submitted by Rahnem on Mon, 15/08/05 - 5:49 PM Permalink

You could try the FEAR demo. It's the first game to use virtual displacement mapping. However, they only seem to use it on decals from what I saw.

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 20/08/05 - 1:26 AM Permalink

I remember a farcry 2 tech demo floating around.... at the time it reduced our machines to smouldering piles of metal and plastic when on high detail mode and 1600 x 1200 res, though ive lost track of it anyone share ?

Submitted by souri on Mon, 12/09/05 - 11:55 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by redwyre

http://pouet.net/prod.php?which=18350

Hehe.. I can't believe the Assembly party is still going. I used to download those demos all the time on the Amiga over 10 years ago (has it been that long ago!)

Anyways, I spotted this really cool tech demo. It's 20mbs and it's amazing [:)] [url="http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/"]Real-Time High Dynamic Range Image-Based Lighting[/url]. (this demo is 2 years old [:0])

Submitted by Grover on Tue, 04/10/05 - 11:08 AM Permalink

Thank god for demo parties!!.. may scene.org live forever. Those two demos are awesome :)