Skip to main content

Just for fun, what is the ONE game for you in 04

Submitted by Doord on
Forum

If you had only the means you buy one game this year what would it be, and why??

Myself:
The Sims 2; I love a game that can be as crazy/funny as this will be. Most games take themself way to seriously.

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 15/06/04 - 11:26 PM Permalink

Games that are supposed to be released or games that will be released? :p

Halo 2 would defenitely be the one. That is if it is actually released in November (doubt it).

Doom 3. I'm not expecting anything more than what it is. An upgrade to Doom.

Guild Wars. I had a lot of fun playing the Alpha for it, and I can't wait for the full thing. That and I don't know what WoW is like :)

And finally, a game that helps me to count up to one.

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 15/06/04 - 11:30 PM Permalink

There are so many awesome games this year; it?s a really hard choice!

For me it would have to be the full version of Grand Turismo 4, or maybe Everquest 2, or World of Warcraft. But I?m hanging for Guild Wars now too (that test was awesome!). And of course there are the fps games to consider, like Half-life 2 (if it ever comes out), Doom 3, Stalker, Halo 2, Breed, Conflict Vietnam, Painkiller, Operation Flashpoint 2, MOH: Pacific Assault, and of course Tribes Vengeance. -To name only a few.

Then there are a few PS2 games that I?m hanging for, like Metal Gear Solid 3, Onimusha 3, Destroy all Humans (fun sounding alien invasion game by Aussie Pandemic), Splinter cell: Pandora Tomorrow, and Spider-man 2 (which looks awesome with it?s gta3 style of open-city)?

Luckily I don?t have an xbox or gamecube, because then the list would continue [:P]

Sorry, I know you only wanted ONE game, but that?s such a difficult call ? 2004 is looking like the best year ever for game releases. But if you put a gun to my head and make me choose only one, I guess it would be GT4 [:)]

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Tue, 15/06/04 - 11:38 PM Permalink

Thief 3 is number one for me, as well as You are empty. anything else is the typical doom3 HL2, Stalker, Xenus etc

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 16/06/04 - 12:16 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Aven

If only there was an easy way to tell the difference. But lets just say supposed to.

Few free to list games you would like to play and can't wait for, but I would realy like to hear what is the number one game you can't wait for.

Guild Wars, interesting I haven't read anything on this.

Submitted by Kane on Wed, 16/06/04 - 12:23 AM Permalink

I would like to see the Samurai Jack game because that show has the most awesome characters in it...

Also looking forward to the Chronicles of Riddick and Fable.

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 16/06/04 - 12:33 AM Permalink

Sorceror Bob: If they fix a few issues that have been bugging me with Medival: Total War then sure, romw would be on the top of my list.

Deus Ex was at the top of my list, but I kinda didn't like the demo that much, they made it too much a console game, removing some of the complexity (which I liked).

Doom 3 will be cool, it won't be the Doom we all know. For one thing the engine has improved slightly, and the gameplay will be different from the first one, more of a survival horror. However I am disappointed that there will be no mission based coop gameplay for the PC version. IMO Doom 3 would have been fun to play at a lan with some mates in the middle of the night etc.

Half life 2, well, I didn't like the first one much, just a linear shooter with some scripted elements. While it was a bit of fun, it wasn't anything brilliant, I was barely impressed. I've seen the "alpha" of HL2 being played, and while it looks kinda spiffy it doesn't look like it's evolved much from the first one.

Hrm, there is that one game, the remake of the original UFO/XCom that is being made by some guys using the Quake2 engine, that looks interesting. I guess you could say I'm waiting for them to improve it :-)

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 16/06/04 - 1:52 AM Permalink

A lot of you probably know this already, FABLE would be my solitary purchase for this year, if good feels that i haven't been good and makes me choose one it would definately be Fable. I dont think i've looked forward to a game this much ever.

I like it cos it's just a crazy new idea. The evolution of your character as he gets more of a personality, just makes the game very personal and unique. You'll never play the same game twice.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 16/06/04 - 1:55 AM Permalink

palantir, ive downloaded the spiderman 2 demo, its pretty bad :( the other game was better even. The original spidey games they made (acclaim made) before there the movie were the best IMO.

im not really geared up for anything, just take it as it comes :) few execptions along the lines of Halo 2 and fable and the like but mostly just as it comes.

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 16/06/04 - 1:55 AM Permalink

Fable, isn't that the one being made by an offshoot of Lionhead?

Submitted by ScORCHo on Wed, 16/06/04 - 2:02 AM Permalink

S.TA.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl.

This game doesnt get enough love.

Submitted by hobonation on Wed, 16/06/04 - 2:14 AM Permalink

hmmm yep if I didn't say fable..i'd be with gooberman on Gish!

Submitted by shiva on Wed, 16/06/04 - 4:38 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by ScORCHo

definately, this is the one im looking out for too

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 16/06/04 - 4:46 AM Permalink

thought fable was being made by lionhead period, not an "offshoot"

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 16/06/04 - 6:34 AM Permalink

Resident Evil 4.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 16/06/04 - 9:11 AM Permalink

Fable / Chronicles of Riddick, Go Lionhead / StarBreeze!

Xbox for 2004!

Suikoden IV / Final Fantasy XII - hopefully next year [:)] to quench my RPG thirst!

Submitted by souri on Wed, 16/06/04 - 9:49 AM Permalink

Stalker, Doom3, Half Life 2 for me.. yeh, it's quite sad. They're all FPS's! The Sims 2 seems interesting, I wouldn't mind checking that out. The Sims was great for a short while, but the repetitive nature of levelling up really got to me later on. I'm dying to see Gran Turismo 4, Resident Evil 4, but unfortunately I don't own any console systems. I'd love to play more different games such as Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing if it were available on my PC, so I'm not a strict FPS loser, really [:)]

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 16/06/04 - 7:18 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by MoonUnit

Fable is being developed by Big Blue Box.

[url]http://www.bigbluebox.com/[/url]

I was very much looking forward to this game and it was number one on my list for about 3 years (it used to be known as project ego when I first started reading about it.) But because of the time I have been waiting it has dropped to number 3 in my top five games I waiting for.

1. The Sims 2
2. Halo 2
3. Fable
4. Zelda (the next one)
5. Corker: live and uncut.

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 16/06/04 - 8:13 PM Permalink

Went and pre-ordered Doom 3 this morning. Will pre-order the Limited Edition Halo 2 on Friday :)

The Halo 2 Limited Edition version is
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/243597.asp

I haven't seen it anywhere else, so it may be an EB exclusive. I love that customers on Amazon are already giving reviews of it...

Submitted by Kane on Wed, 16/06/04 - 8:31 PM Permalink

hey Doord, I beleive it is Conker, not Corker...[;)]

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 16/06/04 - 8:35 PM Permalink

yes your right Kane.

I have about 7 games on per-order, and I can't remember all of them, I know doom 3 and halo 2 are in the list. I love the game wizards they ring me when my games come in and they send me money all the time :)

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 17/06/04 - 3:30 AM Permalink

Sorceror Bob: Faults, you mean with Medival Total War? I never said there were faults, just a few issues that I wouldn't mind being fixed.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 17/06/04 - 8:00 AM Permalink

Daemin: Hehe you're lucky then *hugs his copy of M:TW close*

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 17/06/04 - 11:43 PM Permalink

Doord: doh! ofcourse, ive even been on their forums and i forgot it was blue box :P

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 18/06/04 - 2:08 AM Permalink

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War. oh yeah, whos your daddy!

...Then in descending order :P

Fable
Worlds of Warcraft
Halflife 2
Stalker
The new Zelda
Doom 3
Monster Hunter

and on and on.....

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 18/06/04 - 8:26 AM Permalink

Star Craft Ghost!!!

and definatly the new zelda one

but most of all....

Metroid Prime 2!!!!!!!!!!
metroid prine is my favorite game ever when last i chekced (before that was Mario 64, before that, dunno). it was such a great game, if the sequal was exactly the same with slightly different levels, i still wouldnt hesitate to buy it.

dunno if it's comming outthis year though....

oh and as someone mentioned DX2 - it's actually not that bad, very much a console game though, and certainly dosnt come near to doing the original justice. however if you can ignore that consider it to be a sequal in name only, and apriceate it for a stand alone game, it's not to bad. far too short to be worth paying full price for though... borrow it of someone or wait til it drops.

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 18/06/04 - 5:55 PM Permalink

Starcraft ghost looks alright, but im expecting it to be like C&C renegade, you know the whole RTS turn FPS thing.

Posted by Doord on
Forum

If you had only the means you buy one game this year what would it be, and why??

Myself:
The Sims 2; I love a game that can be as crazy/funny as this will be. Most games take themself way to seriously.

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 15/06/04 - 11:26 PM Permalink

Halo 2 would defenitely be the one. That is if it is actually released in November (doubt it).

Doom 3. I'm not expecting anything more than what it is. An upgrade to Doom.

Guild Wars. I had a lot of fun playing the Alpha for it, and I can't wait for the full thing. That and I don't know what WoW is like :)

And finally, a game that helps me to count up to one.

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 15/06/04 - 11:30 PM Permalink

There are so many awesome games this year; it?s a really hard choice!

For me it would have to be the full version of Grand Turismo 4, or maybe Everquest 2, or World of Warcraft. But I?m hanging for Guild Wars now too (that test was awesome!). And of course there are the fps games to consider, like Half-life 2 (if it ever comes out), Doom 3, Stalker, Halo 2, Breed, Conflict Vietnam, Painkiller, Operation Flashpoint 2, MOH: Pacific Assault, and of course Tribes Vengeance. -To name only a few.

Then there are a few PS2 games that I?m hanging for, like Metal Gear Solid 3, Onimusha 3, Destroy all Humans (fun sounding alien invasion game by Aussie Pandemic), Splinter cell: Pandora Tomorrow, and Spider-man 2 (which looks awesome with it?s gta3 style of open-city)?

Luckily I don?t have an xbox or gamecube, because then the list would continue [:P]

Sorry, I know you only wanted ONE game, but that?s such a difficult call ? 2004 is looking like the best year ever for game releases. But if you put a gun to my head and make me choose only one, I guess it would be GT4 [:)]

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Tue, 15/06/04 - 11:38 PM Permalink

Thief 3 is number one for me, as well as You are empty. anything else is the typical doom3 HL2, Stalker, Xenus etc

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 16/06/04 - 12:16 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Aven

If only there was an easy way to tell the difference. But lets just say supposed to.

Few free to list games you would like to play and can't wait for, but I would realy like to hear what is the number one game you can't wait for.

Guild Wars, interesting I haven't read anything on this.

Submitted by Kane on Wed, 16/06/04 - 12:23 AM Permalink

I would like to see the Samurai Jack game because that show has the most awesome characters in it...

Also looking forward to the Chronicles of Riddick and Fable.

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 16/06/04 - 12:33 AM Permalink

Sorceror Bob: If they fix a few issues that have been bugging me with Medival: Total War then sure, romw would be on the top of my list.

Deus Ex was at the top of my list, but I kinda didn't like the demo that much, they made it too much a console game, removing some of the complexity (which I liked).

Doom 3 will be cool, it won't be the Doom we all know. For one thing the engine has improved slightly, and the gameplay will be different from the first one, more of a survival horror. However I am disappointed that there will be no mission based coop gameplay for the PC version. IMO Doom 3 would have been fun to play at a lan with some mates in the middle of the night etc.

Half life 2, well, I didn't like the first one much, just a linear shooter with some scripted elements. While it was a bit of fun, it wasn't anything brilliant, I was barely impressed. I've seen the "alpha" of HL2 being played, and while it looks kinda spiffy it doesn't look like it's evolved much from the first one.

Hrm, there is that one game, the remake of the original UFO/XCom that is being made by some guys using the Quake2 engine, that looks interesting. I guess you could say I'm waiting for them to improve it :-)

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 16/06/04 - 1:52 AM Permalink

A lot of you probably know this already, FABLE would be my solitary purchase for this year, if good feels that i haven't been good and makes me choose one it would definately be Fable. I dont think i've looked forward to a game this much ever.

I like it cos it's just a crazy new idea. The evolution of your character as he gets more of a personality, just makes the game very personal and unique. You'll never play the same game twice.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 16/06/04 - 1:55 AM Permalink

palantir, ive downloaded the spiderman 2 demo, its pretty bad :( the other game was better even. The original spidey games they made (acclaim made) before there the movie were the best IMO.

im not really geared up for anything, just take it as it comes :) few execptions along the lines of Halo 2 and fable and the like but mostly just as it comes.

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 16/06/04 - 1:55 AM Permalink

Fable, isn't that the one being made by an offshoot of Lionhead?

Submitted by ScORCHo on Wed, 16/06/04 - 2:02 AM Permalink

Submitted by hobonation on Wed, 16/06/04 - 2:14 AM Permalink

hmmm yep if I didn't say fable..i'd be with gooberman on Gish!

Submitted by shiva on Wed, 16/06/04 - 4:38 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by ScORCHo

definately, this is the one im looking out for too

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 16/06/04 - 4:46 AM Permalink

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 16/06/04 - 6:34 AM Permalink

Resident Evil 4.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 16/06/04 - 9:11 AM Permalink

Fable / Chronicles of Riddick, Go Lionhead / StarBreeze!

Xbox for 2004!

Suikoden IV / Final Fantasy XII - hopefully next year [:)] to quench my RPG thirst!

Submitted by souri on Wed, 16/06/04 - 9:49 AM Permalink

Stalker, Doom3, Half Life 2 for me.. yeh, it's quite sad. They're all FPS's! The Sims 2 seems interesting, I wouldn't mind checking that out. The Sims was great for a short while, but the repetitive nature of levelling up really got to me later on. I'm dying to see Gran Turismo 4, Resident Evil 4, but unfortunately I don't own any console systems. I'd love to play more different games such as Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing if it were available on my PC, so I'm not a strict FPS loser, really [:)]

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 16/06/04 - 7:18 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by MoonUnit

Fable is being developed by Big Blue Box.

[url]http://www.bigbluebox.com/[/url]

I was very much looking forward to this game and it was number one on my list for about 3 years (it used to be known as project ego when I first started reading about it.) But because of the time I have been waiting it has dropped to number 3 in my top five games I waiting for.

1. The Sims 2
2. Halo 2
3. Fable
4. Zelda (the next one)
5. Corker: live and uncut.

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 16/06/04 - 8:13 PM Permalink

Went and pre-ordered Doom 3 this morning. Will pre-order the Limited Edition Halo 2 on Friday :)

The Halo 2 Limited Edition version is
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/243597.asp

I haven't seen it anywhere else, so it may be an EB exclusive. I love that customers on Amazon are already giving reviews of it...

Submitted by Kane on Wed, 16/06/04 - 8:31 PM Permalink

hey Doord, I beleive it is Conker, not Corker...[;)]

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 16/06/04 - 8:35 PM Permalink

yes your right Kane.

I have about 7 games on per-order, and I can't remember all of them, I know doom 3 and halo 2 are in the list. I love the game wizards they ring me when my games come in and they send me money all the time :)

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 17/06/04 - 3:30 AM Permalink

Sorceror Bob: Faults, you mean with Medival Total War? I never said there were faults, just a few issues that I wouldn't mind being fixed.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 17/06/04 - 8:00 AM Permalink

Daemin: Hehe you're lucky then *hugs his copy of M:TW close*

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 17/06/04 - 11:43 PM Permalink

Doord: doh! ofcourse, ive even been on their forums and i forgot it was blue box :P

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 18/06/04 - 2:08 AM Permalink

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War. oh yeah, whos your daddy!

...Then in descending order :P

Fable
Worlds of Warcraft
Halflife 2
Stalker
The new Zelda
Doom 3
Monster Hunter

and on and on.....

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 18/06/04 - 8:26 AM Permalink

Star Craft Ghost!!!

and definatly the new zelda one

but most of all....

Metroid Prime 2!!!!!!!!!!
metroid prine is my favorite game ever when last i chekced (before that was Mario 64, before that, dunno). it was such a great game, if the sequal was exactly the same with slightly different levels, i still wouldnt hesitate to buy it.

dunno if it's comming outthis year though....

oh and as someone mentioned DX2 - it's actually not that bad, very much a console game though, and certainly dosnt come near to doing the original justice. however if you can ignore that consider it to be a sequal in name only, and apriceate it for a stand alone game, it's not to bad. far too short to be worth paying full price for though... borrow it of someone or wait til it drops.

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 18/06/04 - 5:55 PM Permalink

Starcraft ghost looks alright, but im expecting it to be like C&C renegade, you know the whole RTS turn FPS thing.