Skip to main content

Character Quickies

Submitted by bumskee on
Submitted by aX on Wed, 15/03/06 - 11:05 PM Permalink

Very nice :o

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Thu, 16/03/06 - 7:18 AM Permalink

Heh, I was scrolling down going "That's a quickie? Thats great! .... Hey that one's really great... that one too... tha... w... okay now he's just showin off"

awesome weight man, they look like they're really well "placed" and its a hard thing to pull off sometimes, like their action lines and stuff are really well balanced and you've got foreshortening down pat.

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 16/03/06 - 7:29 PM Permalink

good stuff - a quick thumbnail feeling to them but with an air of tight quality. Definitely communicates strong character in the majority of them and gets the design elements across well.

Only thing I'd really crit on would be the balance and hip to leg relationship; a few have an unbalanced bowlegged look, there's one or two where the weight's on the wrong leg for the hip angle, or one leg is shortened to compensate for the angle of hip + leg positioning to hold weight.

I wouldn't say that's a huge crit, but it wouldn't hold up too well if these where further refined from their (tight and "noice" as loom put it) thumbnail form.

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Fri, 17/03/06 - 3:52 AM Permalink

I actually rather like the balance, even the ones that are off a little, looks like they're in mid action and compensation. Actually now that I look again there are a few that are off yeah, Styles is right, but the third from the bottom and I think the fifth, the chick leaning forward with the wakisashi to the right, they're my faves.

Submitted by Lechy on Fri, 17/03/06 - 7:19 AM Permalink

Nice work bum, that last one looks like she's got a bit of a package at the front. LOL, trust me to look there. With regards to the balance of some of the figures, there are a few that look a little awkward, but only just. But since the emphasis is on costume design it dosen't really matter. The costumes are pretty cool by the way.

Church: Can you write that last paragraph in english

cheers.

Submitted by denz on Fri, 17/03/06 - 8:59 AM Permalink

yea fukn rad.

imho tbh irl ji's comments don't hold much weight themselves, these are spot fukn on like the don mate.

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 17/03/06 - 9:38 AM Permalink

heh only an opinion, take it or leave it [:)] my opinion is they're pretty rock solid, and look very cool. Just some have the weight planted on the wrong sides and #7 is slightly bowlegged.

Apologies for the wanky terms church, but I don't appreciate that reaction. You have a small history on Sumea so I won't assume you're another anonymous troll searching for attention. If you don't agree, fine - tell me why. If you don't understand, fine, ask. Maybe thats how you get your kicks, but as a moderator I can only suggest not keeping that attitude up and spamming the boards with all the immature "asl" crap.

Submitted by bumskee on Fri, 17/03/06 - 9:55 AM Permalink

oooo, firstly thanks guys for the nice words. More to follow and I will post my sketches and studies.. They were suppose to be quick and more emphasis on the design. :)

Jackydablunt, hehehe, no no hardly showing off, just some studies I guess. Well 2d section is a little dead here in Sumea. :) cheers dude

J.I. Styles, Thanks for the crit, and I do agree that I have overlooked some weight and leg issues. It was probably because I am rather crappier with the lower half. I think 9th from the top, right, the chick with the spear suffers quite a bit, she looks confused. I do have issues planting figures rightly on a plane. That's probably why i am trying to do more of these, so I can quickly get them into gear. More dynamic and weird angles and poses to follow. Also the 11th on the left too, her weight is definitely all messed up. Not enough to throw it off I guess but enough to make her look unnatural and clumpsy. cheers dude

LechY!!! :) how u going mate? we should catch up soon mate!

cheers everyone.

Submitted by Alti on Fri, 28/04/06 - 11:22 PM Permalink

these are awsome, copied all of them into my resourse folder.

alot of variety in the costumes maby work on some different faces.
waiting for more :)

Submitted by parka on Tue, 16/05/06 - 5:23 AM Permalink

I love the costumes! They are very nice indeed.
Good inspiration.
-Parka

Submitted by Lewis u on Sat, 20/05/06 - 12:56 PM Permalink

Very nice. amazing. simple but still stunishing... you planing on modeling any of these?

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 20/05/06 - 8:45 PM Permalink

wow your artwork looks like one of the concept artist i work with.

Awesome stuff. they are just quick sketches as well.....

keep up the great work.

Submitted by Speculart on Tue, 06/06/06 - 9:11 AM Permalink

these are great, nice and loose. Who cares about weight issues just pump them out, its all about the ideas isnt it?

Submitted by IronhideNT on Wed, 09/08/06 - 5:53 AM Permalink

Hey thanks for showing us these they're great!

Yknow, I've always struggled with line work...I enjoy painting because I can just slap things here and there...but there's just so much life in these sketches. Are they just confident lines or do you lightly go first and then pin them down? I'm trying to go back to basics and study contour drawing...but still I'm finding it difficult to lay down line on my own that looks "sure" (for a better word). any tips?

Oh and if you're the same dude who did those PS tutes on Concept Art Thanks!

Submitted by bumskee on Wed, 09/08/06 - 8:09 PM Permalink

Hey, :)

ermm, most of the time I do a really loose quick overall gesture sort of figures and go over them with details on top. Erase the whole lines with 80% eraser or just work from head down to bottom depending on what I feel like I suppose. You can sort of make out the faint gray lines on most of these.

oo for line works, check out.. this guy, Cotron on CA..
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?p=968062#post968062
beautiful control, always look upto him for inspiration.

As for confidence, it's quite simple I think. THe more knowledge you have about figures the more confidence you will be, so start doing some figure studies and gesture studies if you haven't been doing so. From technical point of view, try and loosen up your strokes, always go for a clean single line. Even if they don't look so confident now it's a good practice to get into I think. choppy lines can be a hard habit to break.. it's like drawing on a whiteboard!

If you are talking about the PS fruits and veggies thread on CA, yeap. :)

cheers,

Min

Submitted by Neffy on Mon, 14/08/06 - 10:09 PM Permalink

oooooo your my new idol, there all such pretty lovely outfits...

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 15/08/06 - 9:44 PM Permalink

Hey whats that I smell?.................oh thats right! improvement! :P
REally nice work buddy. These feel a lot more confident and looser. I like the way you have drawn in the folds.
Goodluck in the LMS round2 :)

Submitted by animal on Mon, 21/08/06 - 8:11 AM Permalink

awesome sketches. there's something new and interesting about each one.
Your anatomy is great and they all feel quite alive,
and you've got real creative clothes/costume design, so much range in ideas.

I aim to be able to draw and concept like these one day, to have the characters look so dimentional and alive.

keep posting :)

Submitted by Alti on Mon, 21/08/06 - 11:52 AM Permalink

awsome and solid lines, very confident work.

thanks for posting, inspirational stuff.

Submitted by poppin fresh on Sun, 08/10/06 - 1:31 PM Permalink

Fantastic work, realy makes me want to get some more digital painting practice in.

Don't suppose you are an Ashley Wood fan?

Submitted by bumskee on Mon, 09/10/06 - 9:37 AM Permalink

:) aren't we all ashley wood fan?

some more......ermm scribbles last week..

cheers,

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 11/10/06 - 8:13 AM Permalink

more delightful smaples! The Silhouettes on red are really graphic and powerful too, I'm liking them a lot.

The black&whites are very Beardsley like with the mix of solid shapes and linework... a good thing indeed.

Keep it up.

Submitted by EtaCarinae on Wed, 11/10/06 - 9:49 AM Permalink

Dear Bumskee,
Love the contrasting approach to line in this. Esp the bottom of the skirt!
Regards,
EtaCarinae

Submitted by bumskee on Fri, 13/10/06 - 5:46 AM Permalink

John, thanks!
EtaCarinae, cheers mate.. I think i got lazy towards the skirt with that one..haha

some more.. yesterday...

bumskee2006-10-12 19:48:10

Submitted by shika on Fri, 13/10/06 - 7:57 AM Permalink

great work bumskee, all I can say is keep em coming

Posted by bumskee on

Submitted by aX on Wed, 15/03/06 - 11:05 PM Permalink

Very nice :o

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Thu, 16/03/06 - 7:18 AM Permalink

Heh, I was scrolling down going "That's a quickie? Thats great! .... Hey that one's really great... that one too... tha... w... okay now he's just showin off"

awesome weight man, they look like they're really well "placed" and its a hard thing to pull off sometimes, like their action lines and stuff are really well balanced and you've got foreshortening down pat.

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 16/03/06 - 7:29 PM Permalink

good stuff - a quick thumbnail feeling to them but with an air of tight quality. Definitely communicates strong character in the majority of them and gets the design elements across well.

Only thing I'd really crit on would be the balance and hip to leg relationship; a few have an unbalanced bowlegged look, there's one or two where the weight's on the wrong leg for the hip angle, or one leg is shortened to compensate for the angle of hip + leg positioning to hold weight.

I wouldn't say that's a huge crit, but it wouldn't hold up too well if these where further refined from their (tight and "noice" as loom put it) thumbnail form.

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Fri, 17/03/06 - 3:52 AM Permalink

I actually rather like the balance, even the ones that are off a little, looks like they're in mid action and compensation. Actually now that I look again there are a few that are off yeah, Styles is right, but the third from the bottom and I think the fifth, the chick leaning forward with the wakisashi to the right, they're my faves.

Submitted by Lechy on Fri, 17/03/06 - 7:19 AM Permalink

Nice work bum, that last one looks like she's got a bit of a package at the front. LOL, trust me to look there. With regards to the balance of some of the figures, there are a few that look a little awkward, but only just. But since the emphasis is on costume design it dosen't really matter. The costumes are pretty cool by the way.

Church: Can you write that last paragraph in english

cheers.

Submitted by denz on Fri, 17/03/06 - 8:59 AM Permalink

yea fukn rad.

imho tbh irl ji's comments don't hold much weight themselves, these are spot fukn on like the don mate.

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 17/03/06 - 9:38 AM Permalink

heh only an opinion, take it or leave it [:)] my opinion is they're pretty rock solid, and look very cool. Just some have the weight planted on the wrong sides and #7 is slightly bowlegged.

Apologies for the wanky terms church, but I don't appreciate that reaction. You have a small history on Sumea so I won't assume you're another anonymous troll searching for attention. If you don't agree, fine - tell me why. If you don't understand, fine, ask. Maybe thats how you get your kicks, but as a moderator I can only suggest not keeping that attitude up and spamming the boards with all the immature "asl" crap.

Submitted by bumskee on Fri, 17/03/06 - 9:55 AM Permalink

oooo, firstly thanks guys for the nice words. More to follow and I will post my sketches and studies.. They were suppose to be quick and more emphasis on the design. :)

Jackydablunt, hehehe, no no hardly showing off, just some studies I guess. Well 2d section is a little dead here in Sumea. :) cheers dude

J.I. Styles, Thanks for the crit, and I do agree that I have overlooked some weight and leg issues. It was probably because I am rather crappier with the lower half. I think 9th from the top, right, the chick with the spear suffers quite a bit, she looks confused. I do have issues planting figures rightly on a plane. That's probably why i am trying to do more of these, so I can quickly get them into gear. More dynamic and weird angles and poses to follow. Also the 11th on the left too, her weight is definitely all messed up. Not enough to throw it off I guess but enough to make her look unnatural and clumpsy. cheers dude

LechY!!! :) how u going mate? we should catch up soon mate!

cheers everyone.

Submitted by Alti on Fri, 28/04/06 - 11:22 PM Permalink

these are awsome, copied all of them into my resourse folder.

alot of variety in the costumes maby work on some different faces.
waiting for more :)

Submitted by parka on Tue, 16/05/06 - 5:23 AM Permalink

I love the costumes! They are very nice indeed.
Good inspiration.
-Parka

Submitted by Lewis u on Sat, 20/05/06 - 12:56 PM Permalink

Very nice. amazing. simple but still stunishing... you planing on modeling any of these?

Submitted by Ninja on Sat, 20/05/06 - 8:45 PM Permalink

wow your artwork looks like one of the concept artist i work with.

Awesome stuff. they are just quick sketches as well.....

keep up the great work.

Submitted by Speculart on Tue, 06/06/06 - 9:11 AM Permalink

these are great, nice and loose. Who cares about weight issues just pump them out, its all about the ideas isnt it?

Submitted by IronhideNT on Wed, 09/08/06 - 5:53 AM Permalink

Hey thanks for showing us these they're great!

Yknow, I've always struggled with line work...I enjoy painting because I can just slap things here and there...but there's just so much life in these sketches. Are they just confident lines or do you lightly go first and then pin them down? I'm trying to go back to basics and study contour drawing...but still I'm finding it difficult to lay down line on my own that looks "sure" (for a better word). any tips?

Oh and if you're the same dude who did those PS tutes on Concept Art Thanks!

Submitted by bumskee on Wed, 09/08/06 - 8:09 PM Permalink

Hey, :)

ermm, most of the time I do a really loose quick overall gesture sort of figures and go over them with details on top. Erase the whole lines with 80% eraser or just work from head down to bottom depending on what I feel like I suppose. You can sort of make out the faint gray lines on most of these.

oo for line works, check out.. this guy, Cotron on CA..
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?p=968062#post968062
beautiful control, always look upto him for inspiration.

As for confidence, it's quite simple I think. THe more knowledge you have about figures the more confidence you will be, so start doing some figure studies and gesture studies if you haven't been doing so. From technical point of view, try and loosen up your strokes, always go for a clean single line. Even if they don't look so confident now it's a good practice to get into I think. choppy lines can be a hard habit to break.. it's like drawing on a whiteboard!

If you are talking about the PS fruits and veggies thread on CA, yeap. :)

cheers,

Min

Submitted by Neffy on Mon, 14/08/06 - 10:09 PM Permalink

oooooo your my new idol, there all such pretty lovely outfits...

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 15/08/06 - 9:44 PM Permalink

Hey whats that I smell?.................oh thats right! improvement! :P
REally nice work buddy. These feel a lot more confident and looser. I like the way you have drawn in the folds.
Goodluck in the LMS round2 :)

Submitted by animal on Mon, 21/08/06 - 8:11 AM Permalink

awesome sketches. there's something new and interesting about each one.
Your anatomy is great and they all feel quite alive,
and you've got real creative clothes/costume design, so much range in ideas.

I aim to be able to draw and concept like these one day, to have the characters look so dimentional and alive.

keep posting :)

Submitted by Alti on Mon, 21/08/06 - 11:52 AM Permalink

awsome and solid lines, very confident work.

thanks for posting, inspirational stuff.

Submitted by poppin fresh on Sun, 08/10/06 - 1:31 PM Permalink

Fantastic work, realy makes me want to get some more digital painting practice in.

Don't suppose you are an Ashley Wood fan?

Submitted by bumskee on Mon, 09/10/06 - 9:37 AM Permalink

:) aren't we all ashley wood fan?

some more......ermm scribbles last week..

cheers,

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 11/10/06 - 8:13 AM Permalink

more delightful smaples! The Silhouettes on red are really graphic and powerful too, I'm liking them a lot.

The black&whites are very Beardsley like with the mix of solid shapes and linework... a good thing indeed.

Keep it up.

Submitted by EtaCarinae on Wed, 11/10/06 - 9:49 AM Permalink

Dear Bumskee,
Love the contrasting approach to line in this. Esp the bottom of the skirt!
Regards,
EtaCarinae

Submitted by bumskee on Fri, 13/10/06 - 5:46 AM Permalink

John, thanks!
EtaCarinae, cheers mate.. I think i got lazy towards the skirt with that one..haha

some more.. yesterday...

bumskee2006-10-12 19:48:10

Submitted by shika on Fri, 13/10/06 - 7:57 AM Permalink

great work bumskee, all I can say is keep em coming