Skip to main content

My website: some feedback please!

Hi,
I've finally finished some new designs for my website (and a forum :p) after switching to www.gamedevhosting.com

I would like some feedback on what you think of it:
www.jabigp.com
www.designs.jabigp.com
www.forum.jabigp.com

Thanks,
James

Submitted by Me109 on Tue, 14/09/04 - 8:21 PM Permalink

yeah sites designs not bad at all... I like your use of script to do rollover etc..
I wouldve tended just to use something like onmouseover="document.getelementbyID['blah'].oldImage.jpg = newImage.jpg" inside of the href, or something like that.. but I like what yourve done too..
You could add a Character style sheet in there to take of format and pulling that kind of stuff out of the body of the document, I guess then you could even seperate your script and CSS into seperate documents..
Cool enough dude.. nice and accessable and functional

good one!

Submitted by James A Burke on Wed, 15/09/04 - 5:34 AM Permalink

The server is currently down, should be back up soon ;)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 17/09/04 - 6:20 AM Permalink

pretty good site setup wise (like navigation is fine etc), but the overall look is pretty basic, some nice graphics would help.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 17/09/04 - 11:53 AM Permalink

A big design no no is using Photoshop bevelled buttons. They rate up there with starfield backgrounds, midi music playing in the background, and pictures of your pet dog on the front page. [:)]

Navigation is fine, but personally, I think everything is too BIG! The logo is huge, same with the buttons, partner links, and the news font. I know I'm bordering on tiny on Sumea with the fonts on the main page (I wouldn't go any smaller than the news font there, which is at 11 pixels - but I reckon your news font can go one or two steps lower). As for the graphics (and in general), making things a tad smaller makes it look sharper and more professional, plus you get more space to use. Less is more!

I know you probably don't wanna hear fancy shmancy designer talk, but the white glow on the top left of the page takes the visitors eye away from other parts of your page - your logo needs to stand out a bit more as it's kinda lost in the blue, personally I'd do it in white.

Submitted by James A Burke on Sat, 18/09/04 - 2:02 AM Permalink

Thanks, I have a 19" moniter so judging size is a strange thing here ;)

Hi,
I've finally finished some new designs for my website (and a forum :p) after switching to www.gamedevhosting.com

I would like some feedback on what you think of it:
www.jabigp.com
www.designs.jabigp.com
www.forum.jabigp.com

Thanks,
James

Submitted by Me109 on Tue, 14/09/04 - 8:21 PM Permalink

yeah sites designs not bad at all... I like your use of script to do rollover etc..
I wouldve tended just to use something like onmouseover="document.getelementbyID['blah'].oldImage.jpg = newImage.jpg" inside of the href, or something like that.. but I like what yourve done too..
You could add a Character style sheet in there to take of format and pulling that kind of stuff out of the body of the document, I guess then you could even seperate your script and CSS into seperate documents..
Cool enough dude.. nice and accessable and functional

good one!

Submitted by James A Burke on Wed, 15/09/04 - 5:34 AM Permalink

The server is currently down, should be back up soon ;)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 17/09/04 - 6:20 AM Permalink

pretty good site setup wise (like navigation is fine etc), but the overall look is pretty basic, some nice graphics would help.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 17/09/04 - 11:53 AM Permalink

A big design no no is using Photoshop bevelled buttons. They rate up there with starfield backgrounds, midi music playing in the background, and pictures of your pet dog on the front page. [:)]

Navigation is fine, but personally, I think everything is too BIG! The logo is huge, same with the buttons, partner links, and the news font. I know I'm bordering on tiny on Sumea with the fonts on the main page (I wouldn't go any smaller than the news font there, which is at 11 pixels - but I reckon your news font can go one or two steps lower). As for the graphics (and in general), making things a tad smaller makes it look sharper and more professional, plus you get more space to use. Less is more!

I know you probably don't wanna hear fancy shmancy designer talk, but the white glow on the top left of the page takes the visitors eye away from other parts of your page - your logo needs to stand out a bit more as it's kinda lost in the blue, personally I'd do it in white.

Submitted by James A Burke on Sat, 18/09/04 - 2:02 AM Permalink

Thanks, I have a 19" moniter so judging size is a strange thing here ;)