Skip to main content

My Callisto

Submitted by bullet21 on

I got Paul Steeds book a while back, and finally got the time to do some of the modelling here is what i've finished. I've done the head and hair. One views just coloured and GI'd and the other is a wire and GI.
[img]http://img7.photobucket.com/albums/v18/bullet21/Callisto_Head2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img7.photobucket.com/albums/v18/bullet21/Callisto_Head.jpg[/img]

Next up the body.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 13/05/04 - 7:33 AM Permalink

Nice start man [:D] keep going... go go go !!!!!!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 13/05/04 - 7:42 AM Permalink

a polished start, now where have i seen this before... :P ;)

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 13/05/04 - 6:27 PM Permalink

Why does it look smooth though, i can't get it to render faceted if you know what i mean.

Submitted by Matt on Thu, 13/05/04 - 6:40 PM Permalink

In 3ds max you use smoothing groups.

Great start by the way. I also have a copy of Paul Steeds book but have been to busy to work through it.

Submitted by RasTuS on Thu, 13/05/04 - 7:21 PM Permalink

ok if your asking how to get the wire in the render over the smooth shaded here is how you do it ( thanks to hazzard he showed me >.<)

ok convert you mesh to editalbe poly
select all the edges
click create opject from selection (loads max to check names of things )
you want to create a linear opbject shape thingy =)
then select your new shape and go to the rendering tab and tick renderable..
i normally set the thinkness to 0.3 nice odd number
then make sure the opbect is the colour u want in the render ( u can use a material )

and wala wire over your render

and if thats not what you were asking u owe me 5 minutes of my lafe back stooped typeing....

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 13/05/04 - 10:28 PM Permalink

Bullet21 -

1) select object.
2) select polygon sub object level.
3) ensure ingnore backfacing is OFF.
4) select all the faces.
5) scroll down in the right hand side until you find the polygon properties rollout.
6) Under the smoothing groups section, check the clear all box.

But thats for max6.0 im sure something like that is found in max3.0 - 4.2 [:D]

hope that helps.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Fri, 14/05/04 - 1:55 AM Permalink

Easier than that, just tick the 'faceted' box in the material editor, it's in the first rollout along with 'wire', 'face map' and '2 sided'.

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 14/05/04 - 6:25 PM Permalink

I used your method wizened old man, and it worked like a charm, i'll start doing the torso today, hopefully

Submitted by denz on Sun, 16/05/04 - 3:51 AM Permalink

nice start mate. Just one thing though, I don't think it is good idea to have so many edges hanging off one vert like you do on the forehead. It would cause problems in animations I think. Now get that torso done! [:)]

Submitted by codyalday on Sun, 16/05/04 - 3:59 AM Permalink

Nice start mate, the face is way better then mine, good work mate.

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 28/06/04 - 10:19 PM Permalink

Well, seeing as it's holidays, i managed to keep myself away from all other distractions to get the troso finished. I tried to upload it on the main site but it was to much of a pain in the ass seeing as i had already made the image a differant size than 800x600.

Anyway, it is sitting at 752 polys , i use the spline method for the torso and was surprised at how good it was, very easy and gives good results. Soo here are the pictures, some nice global illumination for ya!
[img]http://img7.photobucket.com/albums/v18/bullet21/Callisto_Headbody.jpg[/…]

I hope to have all of Callisto finished by the end of the holidays. 2 weeks left, i have to do arms leg, boots, optimizing and texturing. Should be plenty of time. Ohh and i love this book, well worth the 110 dollars.

EDIT: note the extremely Paul Steed sized breasts.

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 28/06/04 - 10:56 PM Permalink

Try no to rely on sky lights to light your scene. If you want to use it, cool, just have another key light in there. It makes it very difficult to see her breast contours. They look fairly flat across the front. The only thing that ruins that is that you have a big dent in the bottom.

I'm guessing that she will be wearing some tight sleaveless tshirt (standard Paul Steed fair)? If so, smooth out the bottom and have it stretched out at the bottom of her breasts. The only way you will end up with that much defenition with something that tight is iff it has some draw strings tied down the middle and hooked to her neck :)

As far as the proportions go, they look pretty good. Considering the source :p

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 28/06/04 - 11:30 PM Permalink

honestly its no wonder the guy gets so much crap from people if thats his idea of proportions -_- (steed that is).

looking good though bullet keep it up :D

Submitted by codyalday on Tue, 29/06/04 - 3:53 AM Permalink

Looking good, keep it up. With the Breats, scale them down a tad, you can see in the Book that her breats are on the Guide Lines, then later on, there before them. Anyways, good work.

Submitted by denz on Tue, 29/06/04 - 6:14 AM Permalink

coming along nice. Good on ya for giving yourself a deadline [:)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 06/07/04 - 4:41 AM Permalink

I managed to get the modelling part finished today, after 3 days of solid modelling, and i know it's taken a lot longer then it should have. But anyway she is at 1598 tri's and is now ready for texturing (the hardest part). I'm really proud of this render as well, managed to work out how to use GI properly [8D]
[img]http://sumea.com.au/simages2/355_CallistoL.jpg[/img]

EDIT: The boots were a pain in the anus [:D]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 06/07/04 - 5:34 AM Permalink

lol the boots look like a pain in the anus :P
nice work man, great to see you got it finished :D
gonna texture it?

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 06/07/04 - 11:12 AM Permalink

Nice work Bullet21 - Wheres the section of hair that falls across her face ? the part that is to be opacity mapped ? just curious [:P]

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 06/07/04 - 6:12 PM Permalink

quote:Nice work Bullet21 - Wheres the section of hair that falls across her face ? the part that is to be opacity mapped ? just curious

It's in the actual Max file, but i didn't render it cos it gets in the way of the face[:)]

quote:gonna texture it?

I plan on doing it, but the books method sounds quite insane, so i'll probablly do it by myself

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 06/07/04 - 7:22 PM Permalink

I just wanted to know if you did that fucked up hi-res to low-res for the boots, bull shit?? I looked at it and said to myself, "That has to be the hardest way to model anything" 3D connect the dots [?]INSANE[?]

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 06/07/04 - 7:41 PM Permalink

Doord: No, i said the exact same thing, with a few more profanities, connect the dots is hard enough in 2D, it can't be done mate[:D]. I did like one of hte pieces that way then said F*%@ this, and did it with a cylinder. I dont even see the point of doing that Hi res as a template thing, it doubles the frustration and time.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 06/07/04 - 9:17 PM Permalink

lol well atleast you learnt something from that book, and thats that there is so many bad tutorials out there with obscure methods :P (something i learnt a long time ago lol, thats why the i shouted with glee when i got the 3D buzz tutorials from UT2k4).

Submitted by codyalday on Wed, 07/07/04 - 12:08 AM Permalink

That is Damn good, when I was doing it, it took me so long, I was so Lazy, but you are straight into it, and that is good. I hope you do a good job on the Texture, aslo, you going to Animate it?

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 07/07/04 - 12:35 AM Permalink

I'll try to animate it, but first i want to get my head around this texture conundrum, quite a pain in the ass. The books method or what he calls the "Steed" method just sounds gay.

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Wed, 07/07/04 - 4:35 AM Permalink

LMAO
the 'steed method'? your right it does sound gay :|

hey bullet i really like this model aye, heaps better than nething i could knock out even if i had the book :P
hurry and texture it :):) r u gonna specularity map her aswell for xtra shiny pain in the anus boots?

Submitted by souri on Wed, 07/07/04 - 8:00 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by bullet21

I'll try to animate it, but first i want to get my head around this texture conundrum, quite a pain in the ass. The books method or what he calls the "Steed" method just sounds gay.

[url="http://www.addall.com/author/3484714-1"]Which of Paul Steed's book do you have[/url]? If it's any of the ones published in 2001 or 2002, then I'm sure the texturing tutorial in that would be extremely out of date (unless you're using the same 3ds max version of course).

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 07/07/04 - 6:30 PM Permalink

"Modeling a Character in 3Ds Max", it's published in 2001, The "steed method" is separating all the parts of the model in seperate element, then moving vertices, so you can planar project, then tweak UV's and funally export it. I just thought, "NO.....HOW ABOUT, NO" there's gotta be a better way.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 08/07/04 - 12:18 AM Permalink

"Modeling a Character in 3Ds Max", it's published in 2001, The "steed method" is separating all the parts of the model in seperate element, then moving vertices, so you can planar project, then tweak UV's and funally export it. I just thought, "NO.....HOW ABOUT, NO" there's gotta be a better way.

And you had to hide a duplicate version, remember the order of the pieces you detached so you can re-attach them again, then morph it back to the hidden copy.. Yeh, that's the really ancient way to do it. If you have 3ds Max 4.2 or greater, it is much easier.

Posted by bullet21 on

I got Paul Steeds book a while back, and finally got the time to do some of the modelling here is what i've finished. I've done the head and hair. One views just coloured and GI'd and the other is a wire and GI.
[img]http://img7.photobucket.com/albums/v18/bullet21/Callisto_Head2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img7.photobucket.com/albums/v18/bullet21/Callisto_Head.jpg[/img]

Next up the body.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 13/05/04 - 7:33 AM Permalink

Nice start man [:D] keep going... go go go !!!!!!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 13/05/04 - 7:42 AM Permalink

a polished start, now where have i seen this before... :P ;)

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 13/05/04 - 6:27 PM Permalink

Why does it look smooth though, i can't get it to render faceted if you know what i mean.

Submitted by Matt on Thu, 13/05/04 - 6:40 PM Permalink

In 3ds max you use smoothing groups.

Great start by the way. I also have a copy of Paul Steeds book but have been to busy to work through it.

Submitted by RasTuS on Thu, 13/05/04 - 7:21 PM Permalink

ok if your asking how to get the wire in the render over the smooth shaded here is how you do it ( thanks to hazzard he showed me >.<)

ok convert you mesh to editalbe poly
select all the edges
click create opject from selection (loads max to check names of things )
you want to create a linear opbject shape thingy =)
then select your new shape and go to the rendering tab and tick renderable..
i normally set the thinkness to 0.3 nice odd number
then make sure the opbect is the colour u want in the render ( u can use a material )

and wala wire over your render

and if thats not what you were asking u owe me 5 minutes of my lafe back stooped typeing....

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 13/05/04 - 10:28 PM Permalink

Bullet21 -

1) select object.
2) select polygon sub object level.
3) ensure ingnore backfacing is OFF.
4) select all the faces.
5) scroll down in the right hand side until you find the polygon properties rollout.
6) Under the smoothing groups section, check the clear all box.

But thats for max6.0 im sure something like that is found in max3.0 - 4.2 [:D]

hope that helps.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Fri, 14/05/04 - 1:55 AM Permalink

Easier than that, just tick the 'faceted' box in the material editor, it's in the first rollout along with 'wire', 'face map' and '2 sided'.

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 14/05/04 - 6:25 PM Permalink

I used your method wizened old man, and it worked like a charm, i'll start doing the torso today, hopefully

Submitted by denz on Sun, 16/05/04 - 3:51 AM Permalink

nice start mate. Just one thing though, I don't think it is good idea to have so many edges hanging off one vert like you do on the forehead. It would cause problems in animations I think. Now get that torso done! [:)]

Submitted by codyalday on Sun, 16/05/04 - 3:59 AM Permalink

Nice start mate, the face is way better then mine, good work mate.

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 28/06/04 - 10:19 PM Permalink

Well, seeing as it's holidays, i managed to keep myself away from all other distractions to get the troso finished. I tried to upload it on the main site but it was to much of a pain in the ass seeing as i had already made the image a differant size than 800x600.

Anyway, it is sitting at 752 polys , i use the spline method for the torso and was surprised at how good it was, very easy and gives good results. Soo here are the pictures, some nice global illumination for ya!
[img]http://img7.photobucket.com/albums/v18/bullet21/Callisto_Headbody.jpg[/…]

I hope to have all of Callisto finished by the end of the holidays. 2 weeks left, i have to do arms leg, boots, optimizing and texturing. Should be plenty of time. Ohh and i love this book, well worth the 110 dollars.

EDIT: note the extremely Paul Steed sized breasts.

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 28/06/04 - 10:56 PM Permalink

Try no to rely on sky lights to light your scene. If you want to use it, cool, just have another key light in there. It makes it very difficult to see her breast contours. They look fairly flat across the front. The only thing that ruins that is that you have a big dent in the bottom.

I'm guessing that she will be wearing some tight sleaveless tshirt (standard Paul Steed fair)? If so, smooth out the bottom and have it stretched out at the bottom of her breasts. The only way you will end up with that much defenition with something that tight is iff it has some draw strings tied down the middle and hooked to her neck :)

As far as the proportions go, they look pretty good. Considering the source :p

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 28/06/04 - 11:30 PM Permalink

honestly its no wonder the guy gets so much crap from people if thats his idea of proportions -_- (steed that is).

looking good though bullet keep it up :D

Submitted by codyalday on Tue, 29/06/04 - 3:53 AM Permalink

Looking good, keep it up. With the Breats, scale them down a tad, you can see in the Book that her breats are on the Guide Lines, then later on, there before them. Anyways, good work.

Submitted by denz on Tue, 29/06/04 - 6:14 AM Permalink

coming along nice. Good on ya for giving yourself a deadline [:)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 06/07/04 - 4:41 AM Permalink

I managed to get the modelling part finished today, after 3 days of solid modelling, and i know it's taken a lot longer then it should have. But anyway she is at 1598 tri's and is now ready for texturing (the hardest part). I'm really proud of this render as well, managed to work out how to use GI properly [8D]
[img]http://sumea.com.au/simages2/355_CallistoL.jpg[/img]

EDIT: The boots were a pain in the anus [:D]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 06/07/04 - 5:34 AM Permalink

lol the boots look like a pain in the anus :P
nice work man, great to see you got it finished :D
gonna texture it?

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 06/07/04 - 11:12 AM Permalink

Nice work Bullet21 - Wheres the section of hair that falls across her face ? the part that is to be opacity mapped ? just curious [:P]

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 06/07/04 - 6:12 PM Permalink

quote:Nice work Bullet21 - Wheres the section of hair that falls across her face ? the part that is to be opacity mapped ? just curious

It's in the actual Max file, but i didn't render it cos it gets in the way of the face[:)]

quote:gonna texture it?

I plan on doing it, but the books method sounds quite insane, so i'll probablly do it by myself

Submitted by Doord on Tue, 06/07/04 - 7:22 PM Permalink

I just wanted to know if you did that fucked up hi-res to low-res for the boots, bull shit?? I looked at it and said to myself, "That has to be the hardest way to model anything" 3D connect the dots [?]INSANE[?]

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 06/07/04 - 7:41 PM Permalink

Doord: No, i said the exact same thing, with a few more profanities, connect the dots is hard enough in 2D, it can't be done mate[:D]. I did like one of hte pieces that way then said F*%@ this, and did it with a cylinder. I dont even see the point of doing that Hi res as a template thing, it doubles the frustration and time.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 06/07/04 - 9:17 PM Permalink

lol well atleast you learnt something from that book, and thats that there is so many bad tutorials out there with obscure methods :P (something i learnt a long time ago lol, thats why the i shouted with glee when i got the 3D buzz tutorials from UT2k4).

Submitted by codyalday on Wed, 07/07/04 - 12:08 AM Permalink

That is Damn good, when I was doing it, it took me so long, I was so Lazy, but you are straight into it, and that is good. I hope you do a good job on the Texture, aslo, you going to Animate it?

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 07/07/04 - 12:35 AM Permalink

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Wed, 07/07/04 - 4:35 AM Permalink

LMAO
the 'steed method'? your right it does sound gay :|

hey bullet i really like this model aye, heaps better than nething i could knock out even if i had the book :P
hurry and texture it :):) r u gonna specularity map her aswell for xtra shiny pain in the anus boots?

Submitted by souri on Wed, 07/07/04 - 8:00 AM Permalink

[url="http://www.addall.com/author/3484714-1"]Which of Paul Steed's book do you have[/url]? If it's any of the ones published in 2001 or 2002, then I'm sure the texturing tutorial in that would be extremely out of date (unless you're using the same 3ds max version of course).

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 07/07/04 - 6:30 PM Permalink

Submitted by souri on Thu, 08/07/04 - 12:18 AM Permalink

And you had to hide a duplicate version, remember the order of the pieces you detached so you can re-attach them again, then morph it back to the hidden copy.. Yeh, that's the really ancient way to do it. If you have 3ds Max 4.2 or greater, it is much easier.