Skip to main content

Sam & Max 2

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather play a game using the concept art, rather than the 3D game that will be Sam & Max2.. Have a look at [url="http://www.lucasarts.com/products/freelancepolice"]the screenshots[/url] to see what I mean. Eeeeverything has to be in 3D these days, it seems... and I have to say, the ingame screenshot of S&M2 doesn't look very cool - it has a dull, unlively look to it.. I'd much rather they continued with the style of the cartoon (unless of course, they're doing something more that needs it to be in 3D - in that case, they should've made it cell shaded, brighter, and more colourful.. or make it 2.5D like new Disney films, if you get what I mean).. Been looking forward to a Sam & Max sequel for years, but this seems to be heading the wrong way, in my opinion.. we'll see, I guess..

Speaking of games, I downloaded that Metal Gear Solid 3 leaked movie thing that a few websites are hosting. That seems to be pretty disappointing too. Solid Snake in jungle combat, fighting against wild animals?? Come on!! [:)]

Submitted by sho nuff on Tue, 13/05/03 - 9:53 PM Permalink

I seen that clip too Souri, but i have the sneaking suspision that it's a dummy clip, made be the creater of MGS (forgot his bloody name) to fool us hungry folk, keeping us at bay while he builds another milestone for all competitors to aspire to.

Snake eating a Snake? nah neva dat, sumthin is up 4 sho.

Submitted by GooberMan on Tue, 13/05/03 - 10:30 PM Permalink

The original Metal Gear took place in a jungle setting, but yeah, I don't remember him fighting wild animals (just dogs)...

And that concept art kinda brings back memories of the original :)

EDIT: Wonder if they'll ever do a Maniac Mansion 3.... probably won't be as good as the first two though...

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 14/05/03 - 12:02 AM Permalink

Has anyone been checking out the sequel to Full Throttle? Looks pants and it looks sure to be the worst sequel game since Escape from Monkey Island.

I just hope lucasarts declare the 'action'-adventure game dead and let more innovative companies pick up the legacy that they abandoned. I don't think I've heard anything about SM2 just yet.

Submitted by Brain on Wed, 14/05/03 - 12:17 AM Permalink

Just checked the S&M2 trailer, and the humour definitely still looks to be there, but I crave 2D. Agreed that it needs to look brighter. They've got a standard looking 3D cartoon style happening. It LOOKS fancified, and it shouldn't. Also the lighting needs to be rectified. It's like bad global illumination, which really really doesn't suit the style that Sam and Max belong to. Then again, it's highly likely not going to be reminiscent of the actual game, looking all pre-rendered.

"Holy bouncing Buddha, Max! We're in 3D!"
"Ehh, it's been done."

They should listen to their characters.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 14/05/03 - 3:50 AM Permalink

The original Sam and Max ruled, I agree that the 3Dism has lost alot of that style and wacky imagery that made it so cool but hey I'll play Sam and max anything.

Watch out! Rabbits with ray guns!

The MSG3 clip looked like a students end of year demo not the polished clips we are used to from Hideo Kojima's and his crew of fine pixel monkeys.

Hope its a red herring.

Submitted by GooberMan on Wed, 14/05/03 - 4:40 AM Permalink

On a related note to Sam and Max.... I'd like to see Lucas Arts recreate Monkey Island 1 and 2, Day of the Tentacle, and the original Sam and Max on the GBA, but that won't happen anytime soon...

Submitted by Brain on Wed, 14/05/03 - 9:34 PM Permalink

Phwoah!! That's a rockin' idea GooberMan!

Submitted by souri on Wed, 14/05/03 - 10:27 PM Permalink

I've seen some more Metal Gear Solid 3 pics. I think Hideo has been watching Rambo II too many times. Oh, and here's some more [url="http://www.gamerspulse.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Screenshots2003&…"]fantastic Sam & Max 2 concept art[/url].
You know, I would absolutely love a Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle sequel. Day of the Tentacle is one of my most favourite Lucas Film games.. the artwork is brilliant, and pretty much timeless. If they could do a colourful Zelda-like 3D cartoon game (with absurd deformation etc), that would be cool.. although I'm not sure if the market has the patience anymore with point and click adventure games. They can be pretty frustrating at times. [:)]

Submitted by GooberMan on Wed, 14/05/03 - 10:55 PM Permalink

Day Of The Tentacle = best plot of any Lucas Arts game evar. I love that game :)

And it might be possible to enact my idea about the GBA if you get in to some homebrew dev and port ScummVM to the GBA... :)

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 05/03/04 - 3:29 AM Permalink

Yipee!

(You can do so much more crazy stuff much more easily drawn in 2D rather than try to make a 3D engine do it)

Submitted by Soul on Fri, 05/03/04 - 5:03 AM Permalink

This is most uncool - Lucasarts have lost many a loyal fan this day, and they truly deserve it.

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 05/03/04 - 8:05 AM Permalink

Full throttle 2 and now sam & max 2 cancelled.
*saddened*
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Maitrek on Fri, 05/03/04 - 10:43 PM Permalink

Anyone who didn't suspect that it was going to get cancelled is obviously at least partially blinded by hope. Considering some of the other crap they've released, I find it surprising that they cite 'economical' reasons...if they wasted less money on crap games, and made better use of their franchises (bioware or whatever did a way better job) maybe they wouldn't suck the mountain of ass the size of olympus mons that they do today.

Having said that though, Lucasarts was once a great developer and there previous work is undeniably classic. At least now they won't have the chance to f up the sam and max legend.

Submitted by stonedwal on Sat, 06/03/04 - 12:22 AM Permalink

I'm really disappointed about the cancellation - last year's E3 trailer was hilarious. The adventure genre is really beginning to dry up on the PC - I can't think of any upcoming adventure titles outside of Syberia 2 and The Longest Journey 2.

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 06/03/04 - 12:40 AM Permalink

Maitrek: I actually think sam and max 2 would have been a great game if it had half of the humour and gameplay of the original.
Full throttle on the other hand was pretty terrible.

Submitted by Soul on Sat, 06/03/04 - 3:23 AM Permalink

quote:I actually think sam and max 2 would have been a great game if it had half of the humour and gameplay of the original.

I'm not 100% sure, but I have a funny feeling that Maitrek will have something to say about the quality of the gameplay in the original... [:)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 10/03/04 - 6:21 PM Permalink

so, it's true hey, i thought it was a rumour, oh well at least they still have Armed and Dangerous.

Submitted by MattD on Mon, 15/03/04 - 2:06 PM Permalink

sure sam and max wasnt perfect (and had some deplorable sections), but it still ranks as one of the funniest games ive ever played..

how can you not love a bunny who dislikes the word acumen? pity about s&m2.. if it was anything as zany as the first one. it wouldve been great..

Matt D

Submitted by souri on Sat, 20/03/04 - 5:30 AM Permalink

A lot has been said about point and click graphic adventure games, but I played my nephew's Final Fantasy 9 a few days ago, and I felt that I'd been transported back to when games like Day of the Tentacle, Zak Mcracken etc were popular. It just felt the same. Sure rpgs games like FF9 have a strong emphasis on repetitive combat, but all the other attributes are there. Emphasis on story, lots of humour, screens of beautiful backgrounds, cinematic music, a degree of exploring (objects in scenes, finding information, conversations with people, dialoage etc).
I'm sure Sam & Max and other great adventure games of the past could be marketable as rpg's of now.

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 20/03/04 - 7:35 PM Permalink

The only real problem with adventure games is that once you play them once, they are just too damn easy. A game that once upon a time took you four weeks to complete is done in two hours.

It is a pity though. Sam & Max and the best humor.

Chavoul - You're back!
Sam - And we're bigger than a bread box.
Max - Three bread box's even.

:)

Submitted by Maitrek on Sun, 21/03/04 - 11:15 PM Permalink

quote:I'm sure Sam & Max and other great adventure games of the past could be marketable as rpg's of now.

That's what I call an 'interesting statement'.

It reminds me of my reaction to the Spellforge advertisement I saw in PC Gamer. It had a little caption saying 'RPG. RTS. Experience them together for the first time" or something like that.

To me it just spelt out why the PC industry marketing sucks so bad. We market things like 'genre bending', 'genre busting' and 'genre mixing', the next person who uses 'genre' is going to get pistol whipped. Why market a 'type' of game?

Anyway...that's a bit off topic.

The adventure game went no where because it's gameplay and format had no room for expansion and evolution, RPGs on the other hand can perform all sorts of trickery that *includes* (as a subset) most of the stuff that is done in classic adventure games.

That RPGs are still 'marketable' and adventure games are not is a credit to the work of the developers who have pushed RPGs forward, and serves as a notice to the adventure game developers who are now all out of business.

Submitted by Morphine on Sat, 27/03/04 - 11:30 AM Permalink

Twas a sad day for me when I first heard of Sam and Max 2 cancelled. I loved the 1st one which I think was ground breaking and somewhat contraversal at the time somewhat (not as much as Luisure Suit Larry [;)]).

Lucas Arts should be ashamed of themselves. *Smacks LA's hand* [V]

Posted by souri on
Forum

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather play a game using the concept art, rather than the 3D game that will be Sam & Max2.. Have a look at [url="http://www.lucasarts.com/products/freelancepolice"]the screenshots[/url] to see what I mean. Eeeeverything has to be in 3D these days, it seems... and I have to say, the ingame screenshot of S&M2 doesn't look very cool - it has a dull, unlively look to it.. I'd much rather they continued with the style of the cartoon (unless of course, they're doing something more that needs it to be in 3D - in that case, they should've made it cell shaded, brighter, and more colourful.. or make it 2.5D like new Disney films, if you get what I mean).. Been looking forward to a Sam & Max sequel for years, but this seems to be heading the wrong way, in my opinion.. we'll see, I guess..

Speaking of games, I downloaded that Metal Gear Solid 3 leaked movie thing that a few websites are hosting. That seems to be pretty disappointing too. Solid Snake in jungle combat, fighting against wild animals?? Come on!! [:)]

Submitted by sho nuff on Tue, 13/05/03 - 9:53 PM Permalink

I seen that clip too Souri, but i have the sneaking suspision that it's a dummy clip, made be the creater of MGS (forgot his bloody name) to fool us hungry folk, keeping us at bay while he builds another milestone for all competitors to aspire to.

Snake eating a Snake? nah neva dat, sumthin is up 4 sho.

Submitted by GooberMan on Tue, 13/05/03 - 10:30 PM Permalink

The original Metal Gear took place in a jungle setting, but yeah, I don't remember him fighting wild animals (just dogs)...

And that concept art kinda brings back memories of the original :)

EDIT: Wonder if they'll ever do a Maniac Mansion 3.... probably won't be as good as the first two though...

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 14/05/03 - 12:02 AM Permalink

Has anyone been checking out the sequel to Full Throttle? Looks pants and it looks sure to be the worst sequel game since Escape from Monkey Island.

I just hope lucasarts declare the 'action'-adventure game dead and let more innovative companies pick up the legacy that they abandoned. I don't think I've heard anything about SM2 just yet.

Submitted by Brain on Wed, 14/05/03 - 12:17 AM Permalink

Just checked the S&M2 trailer, and the humour definitely still looks to be there, but I crave 2D. Agreed that it needs to look brighter. They've got a standard looking 3D cartoon style happening. It LOOKS fancified, and it shouldn't. Also the lighting needs to be rectified. It's like bad global illumination, which really really doesn't suit the style that Sam and Max belong to. Then again, it's highly likely not going to be reminiscent of the actual game, looking all pre-rendered.

"Holy bouncing Buddha, Max! We're in 3D!"
"Ehh, it's been done."

They should listen to their characters.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 14/05/03 - 3:50 AM Permalink

The original Sam and Max ruled, I agree that the 3Dism has lost alot of that style and wacky imagery that made it so cool but hey I'll play Sam and max anything.

Watch out! Rabbits with ray guns!

The MSG3 clip looked like a students end of year demo not the polished clips we are used to from Hideo Kojima's and his crew of fine pixel monkeys.

Hope its a red herring.

Submitted by GooberMan on Wed, 14/05/03 - 4:40 AM Permalink

On a related note to Sam and Max.... I'd like to see Lucas Arts recreate Monkey Island 1 and 2, Day of the Tentacle, and the original Sam and Max on the GBA, but that won't happen anytime soon...

Submitted by Brain on Wed, 14/05/03 - 9:34 PM Permalink

Phwoah!! That's a rockin' idea GooberMan!

Submitted by souri on Wed, 14/05/03 - 10:27 PM Permalink

I've seen some more Metal Gear Solid 3 pics. I think Hideo has been watching Rambo II too many times. Oh, and here's some more [url="http://www.gamerspulse.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Screenshots2003&…"]fantastic Sam & Max 2 concept art[/url].
You know, I would absolutely love a Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle sequel. Day of the Tentacle is one of my most favourite Lucas Film games.. the artwork is brilliant, and pretty much timeless. If they could do a colourful Zelda-like 3D cartoon game (with absurd deformation etc), that would be cool.. although I'm not sure if the market has the patience anymore with point and click adventure games. They can be pretty frustrating at times. [:)]

Submitted by GooberMan on Wed, 14/05/03 - 10:55 PM Permalink

Day Of The Tentacle = best plot of any Lucas Arts game evar. I love that game :)

And it might be possible to enact my idea about the GBA if you get in to some homebrew dev and port ScummVM to the GBA... :)

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 05/03/04 - 3:29 AM Permalink

Yipee!

(You can do so much more crazy stuff much more easily drawn in 2D rather than try to make a 3D engine do it)

Submitted by Soul on Fri, 05/03/04 - 5:03 AM Permalink

This is most uncool - Lucasarts have lost many a loyal fan this day, and they truly deserve it.

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 05/03/04 - 8:05 AM Permalink

Full throttle 2 and now sam & max 2 cancelled.
*saddened*
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Maitrek on Fri, 05/03/04 - 10:43 PM Permalink

Anyone who didn't suspect that it was going to get cancelled is obviously at least partially blinded by hope. Considering some of the other crap they've released, I find it surprising that they cite 'economical' reasons...if they wasted less money on crap games, and made better use of their franchises (bioware or whatever did a way better job) maybe they wouldn't suck the mountain of ass the size of olympus mons that they do today.

Having said that though, Lucasarts was once a great developer and there previous work is undeniably classic. At least now they won't have the chance to f up the sam and max legend.

Submitted by stonedwal on Sat, 06/03/04 - 12:22 AM Permalink

I'm really disappointed about the cancellation - last year's E3 trailer was hilarious. The adventure genre is really beginning to dry up on the PC - I can't think of any upcoming adventure titles outside of Syberia 2 and The Longest Journey 2.

Submitted by Malus on Sat, 06/03/04 - 12:40 AM Permalink

Maitrek: I actually think sam and max 2 would have been a great game if it had half of the humour and gameplay of the original.
Full throttle on the other hand was pretty terrible.

Submitted by Soul on Sat, 06/03/04 - 3:23 AM Permalink

quote:I actually think sam and max 2 would have been a great game if it had half of the humour and gameplay of the original.

I'm not 100% sure, but I have a funny feeling that Maitrek will have something to say about the quality of the gameplay in the original... [:)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 10/03/04 - 6:21 PM Permalink

so, it's true hey, i thought it was a rumour, oh well at least they still have Armed and Dangerous.

Submitted by MattD on Mon, 15/03/04 - 2:06 PM Permalink

sure sam and max wasnt perfect (and had some deplorable sections), but it still ranks as one of the funniest games ive ever played..

how can you not love a bunny who dislikes the word acumen? pity about s&m2.. if it was anything as zany as the first one. it wouldve been great..

Matt D

Submitted by souri on Sat, 20/03/04 - 5:30 AM Permalink

A lot has been said about point and click graphic adventure games, but I played my nephew's Final Fantasy 9 a few days ago, and I felt that I'd been transported back to when games like Day of the Tentacle, Zak Mcracken etc were popular. It just felt the same. Sure rpgs games like FF9 have a strong emphasis on repetitive combat, but all the other attributes are there. Emphasis on story, lots of humour, screens of beautiful backgrounds, cinematic music, a degree of exploring (objects in scenes, finding information, conversations with people, dialoage etc).
I'm sure Sam & Max and other great adventure games of the past could be marketable as rpg's of now.

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 20/03/04 - 7:35 PM Permalink

The only real problem with adventure games is that once you play them once, they are just too damn easy. A game that once upon a time took you four weeks to complete is done in two hours.

It is a pity though. Sam & Max and the best humor.

Chavoul - You're back!
Sam - And we're bigger than a bread box.
Max - Three bread box's even.

:)

Submitted by Maitrek on Sun, 21/03/04 - 11:15 PM Permalink

quote:I'm sure Sam & Max and other great adventure games of the past could be marketable as rpg's of now.

That's what I call an 'interesting statement'.

It reminds me of my reaction to the Spellforge advertisement I saw in PC Gamer. It had a little caption saying 'RPG. RTS. Experience them together for the first time" or something like that.

To me it just spelt out why the PC industry marketing sucks so bad. We market things like 'genre bending', 'genre busting' and 'genre mixing', the next person who uses 'genre' is going to get pistol whipped. Why market a 'type' of game?

Anyway...that's a bit off topic.

The adventure game went no where because it's gameplay and format had no room for expansion and evolution, RPGs on the other hand can perform all sorts of trickery that *includes* (as a subset) most of the stuff that is done in classic adventure games.

That RPGs are still 'marketable' and adventure games are not is a credit to the work of the developers who have pushed RPGs forward, and serves as a notice to the adventure game developers who are now all out of business.

Submitted by Morphine on Sat, 27/03/04 - 11:30 AM Permalink

Twas a sad day for me when I first heard of Sam and Max 2 cancelled. I loved the 1st one which I think was ground breaking and somewhat contraversal at the time somewhat (not as much as Luisure Suit Larry [;)]).

Lucas Arts should be ashamed of themselves. *Smacks LA's hand* [V]