Skip to main content

Samaurai Chick

This is a character ive been working on for my demo reel, still a work in progress and I was interested in getting a little feed back on it. Any comments welcomed Thanks. 4200 polys with full reactor armour and cloth.

[url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/AnarchyAngel/2004111125732_Samau…"]SamauraiChick1.jpg[/url]

[url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/AnarchyAngel/2004111125759_Samau…"]SamauraiChick2.jpg[/url]

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 12/11/04 - 8:28 AM Permalink

Shes going to have clothes on right?

Anyway, you need more contrast/tones in there. Go in there and try to pull some forms out. Try saturating some of your dark skin tones some more, stay away from black.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 13/11/04 - 2:00 AM Permalink

i have to say im not really a fan of the current clothing. It looks impraticle and awkward. I know games like fantasy games have often displayed girls is somewhat little clothing but the outfit just looks too out of place and silly to me.
The figure is well made though :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 13/11/04 - 5:54 AM Permalink

Definately lacking some definition in the texture there - the skin is very 'glowy' at the moment which isnt helped by the lighting you have used in your render.

I also have to agree with Moonys comments on the actual design of the character the clothes / armour dont seem practical at all - that would be some serious armour chaffing going on there - perhaps if you wanted to keep the cloth sparse - or the female character looking 'sexy' ( which i presume is where your trying to go with the character ) is by either have skin tight clothing underneath that armour - or by putting some padding in between the armour and her skin ( only under the armoured parts )

The mesh construction needs quite a bit of work - theres a bucketload of polygons in the fingers that dont need to be there
and also around the breast region.

Something of note is to define as much as possible the silhouette of the character - Put a Jet black material onto your mesh and then take some renders of it from a viewable distance back and then go over the areas on the mesh where there are a lot of polygons - youll find you are achieving little or no extra defination with many of the polygons you have at the moment.

The reason why Im commenting about restruction your polygons is because 4200 is an awful lot of polygons for a character thats lacking alot of subtle shapes, curves and definition.

Hope that helps [:)]

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 18/11/04 - 8:24 AM Permalink

hmmm, yeah 4200 polys looks far to much for the detail in there. you could probably do the same with little over 2000.

also i think you should try and stick to the concept more - it has a lot of cool features that your current model dosnt include, such as the helmet shape and the figure of the body. also in the concept she is wearing pants ;)

Submitted by AnarchyAngel on Sat, 20/11/04 - 12:00 AM Permalink

HazarD there is actually no lighting in that scene at all it just @ 100 self illumination.

As for lack of shape I wish I could hand you the max file. The whole problem Im having is in removing polys Im losing her awsome curves. Ive included a pic of her side on wiht and without armour. Again thanks for the Critic.

[url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/AnarchyAngel/20041118205814_Sama…"]SamauraiChick3.jpg[/url]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 20/11/04 - 4:12 AM Permalink

Then its definately a case of the glowy skin thing happening - try pushing some more pinks, reds and even browns into the skin at the moment she is very golden looking.

Ive taken the liberty to show you what ive done with a female torso that is IMO the most tri's id ever use for a mid polycount naked female ( ~2200 tris atm ) - for mind i could kill about 500 - 600 tris off this easily and achieve a result that is so similar silhouette wise it would be near undetectable. Ive built this girl purely for some animation testing etc hence the major use of edge loops around the bum, knees and shoulders.

I think the extra polygons youve got are mostely in the hands and pieces of armour and those are the areas where you can save yourself alot of count.

Before people start shooting me for the anti grav boobs - she is going to have a holster neck boob holder on with some shorts so there [:P]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Hazard/2004111911127_Female.jpg[…]

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Sat, 20/11/04 - 4:12 AM Permalink

Sexy curves? From front on the curves are hardly visible because of her amour, the texture looks very flat, I think it could use some more work. Whats the size of her texture?
Her fashion sense isn't very.. well, fashionable. I think she needs something on her ass and more cloth wraps. The legs look really bare.
Did you have a plan in mind when you went about modeling her?
She needs alot more work with her silhouette. An example is like the belt strap hanging down, that could loose alot of the poly colums that you have going there.

In my opinion she needs alot more done to her if you want to put her in your show reel. Go for things that are different (unique) and challenging. To me this doesn't show off an artists skills to a degreee where I would hire them.

Keep going man, I don't mean any offence as you're going good, just trying to give some helpful advice :)

This is a character ive been working on for my demo reel, still a work in progress and I was interested in getting a little feed back on it. Any comments welcomed Thanks. 4200 polys with full reactor armour and cloth.

[url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/AnarchyAngel/2004111125732_Samau…"]SamauraiChick1.jpg[/url]

[url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/AnarchyAngel/2004111125759_Samau…"]SamauraiChick2.jpg[/url]

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 12/11/04 - 8:28 AM Permalink

Shes going to have clothes on right?

Anyway, you need more contrast/tones in there. Go in there and try to pull some forms out. Try saturating some of your dark skin tones some more, stay away from black.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 13/11/04 - 2:00 AM Permalink

i have to say im not really a fan of the current clothing. It looks impraticle and awkward. I know games like fantasy games have often displayed girls is somewhat little clothing but the outfit just looks too out of place and silly to me.
The figure is well made though :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 13/11/04 - 5:54 AM Permalink

Definately lacking some definition in the texture there - the skin is very 'glowy' at the moment which isnt helped by the lighting you have used in your render.

I also have to agree with Moonys comments on the actual design of the character the clothes / armour dont seem practical at all - that would be some serious armour chaffing going on there - perhaps if you wanted to keep the cloth sparse - or the female character looking 'sexy' ( which i presume is where your trying to go with the character ) is by either have skin tight clothing underneath that armour - or by putting some padding in between the armour and her skin ( only under the armoured parts )

The mesh construction needs quite a bit of work - theres a bucketload of polygons in the fingers that dont need to be there
and also around the breast region.

Something of note is to define as much as possible the silhouette of the character - Put a Jet black material onto your mesh and then take some renders of it from a viewable distance back and then go over the areas on the mesh where there are a lot of polygons - youll find you are achieving little or no extra defination with many of the polygons you have at the moment.

The reason why Im commenting about restruction your polygons is because 4200 is an awful lot of polygons for a character thats lacking alot of subtle shapes, curves and definition.

Hope that helps [:)]

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 18/11/04 - 8:24 AM Permalink

hmmm, yeah 4200 polys looks far to much for the detail in there. you could probably do the same with little over 2000.

also i think you should try and stick to the concept more - it has a lot of cool features that your current model dosnt include, such as the helmet shape and the figure of the body. also in the concept she is wearing pants ;)

Submitted by AnarchyAngel on Sat, 20/11/04 - 12:00 AM Permalink

HazarD there is actually no lighting in that scene at all it just @ 100 self illumination.

As for lack of shape I wish I could hand you the max file. The whole problem Im having is in removing polys Im losing her awsome curves. Ive included a pic of her side on wiht and without armour. Again thanks for the Critic.

[url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/AnarchyAngel/20041118205814_Sama…"]SamauraiChick3.jpg[/url]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 20/11/04 - 4:12 AM Permalink

Then its definately a case of the glowy skin thing happening - try pushing some more pinks, reds and even browns into the skin at the moment she is very golden looking.

Ive taken the liberty to show you what ive done with a female torso that is IMO the most tri's id ever use for a mid polycount naked female ( ~2200 tris atm ) - for mind i could kill about 500 - 600 tris off this easily and achieve a result that is so similar silhouette wise it would be near undetectable. Ive built this girl purely for some animation testing etc hence the major use of edge loops around the bum, knees and shoulders.

I think the extra polygons youve got are mostely in the hands and pieces of armour and those are the areas where you can save yourself alot of count.

Before people start shooting me for the anti grav boobs - she is going to have a holster neck boob holder on with some shorts so there [:P]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Hazard/2004111911127_Female.jpg[…]

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Sat, 20/11/04 - 4:12 AM Permalink

Sexy curves? From front on the curves are hardly visible because of her amour, the texture looks very flat, I think it could use some more work. Whats the size of her texture?
Her fashion sense isn't very.. well, fashionable. I think she needs something on her ass and more cloth wraps. The legs look really bare.
Did you have a plan in mind when you went about modeling her?
She needs alot more work with her silhouette. An example is like the belt strap hanging down, that could loose alot of the poly colums that you have going there.

In my opinion she needs alot more done to her if you want to put her in your show reel. Go for things that are different (unique) and challenging. To me this doesn't show off an artists skills to a degreee where I would hire them.

Keep going man, I don't mean any offence as you're going good, just trying to give some helpful advice :)