Skip to main content

Comparison

Forum

I am not in the business at all, but in the past "LAST YEAR" I retook up attempting a modication to a game alone then with a friend, he had extensive C++ schooling and learned through trial error and knowlege on the python scripting code, I started out in the python with no past knowledge of code, i learned how to work around in the code, find what code was doing, alter this to do new events within the script and add things to this. what i am curious to find out. "i am not a tech wizard:(" is how different are the two languages and how hard is it for NON college person to learn programming as a whole, i ask because i want to dive into the unreal engine for the matinee features and i know you need a bit of knowledge on the unrealed, unreal script to do this. will trying to learn c help in learning this stuff also???

if i sound goofy or asking the wrong group just slap a closed on the thread lol i can be annoying to experience folk.

Submitted by shiva on Fri, 12/08/05 - 6:40 AM Permalink

unreal script is most similar to either java or c++
there are tonnes of online tutorials, and while i cant name one in particular that is good, i doubt you could go wrong with virtually any of them
its all knowledge in the end
good luck

Submitted by Jarod Pearce on Fri, 12/08/05 - 2:44 PM Permalink

problem i have is starting from nothing lol, just basic python code structure and such, funny i can make the game do some pretty nice events that i script in but can't figure out the python tutorials make a program work correctly lol. i was going to wait till stargate alliance came out to dive into learning the script but i may go get unreal 2004 dvd and start since at most the game has been delayed

Submitted by shiva on Fri, 12/08/05 - 4:52 PM Permalink

in regards to learning from scratch - we all have at some stage ;)

unreal script - if you dont want to buy anything, you can download the unreal engine 2 runtime demo, this is a feature complete build of the unreal engine (version 2, not sure how recent the build is compared with the build used for unreal tournament); also has a rather basic game framework on top.
it will allow you to fiddle with unreal script in a more basic form (without all the unreal tournament additions and overrides)

Submitted by Jarod Pearce on Fri, 12/08/05 - 6:56 PM Permalink

thanks, i'll look into it, i am really interested in the matinee and such as my interest are within the realm of the story and such not just gameplay persay. so hopefully it has unreal matinee as a feature

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 12/08/05 - 8:03 PM Permalink

Yeah, the unreal Engine 2 Runtime is what you'd want for making mods for the Unreal engine. Basically version 2(or 2.5 in some cases) of the Unreal Engine is the latest, with version 3 being held out for the PS3 and Xbox 360 IIRC.

But keep plugging away at it and soon you'll get somewhere, also ask someone who's already done a mod and ask them for feedback on the code. The more eyes looking at it the better.

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 13/08/05 - 7:59 AM Permalink

Bur it won't be out until its out on the console's first...

Submitted by Jarod Pearce on Sun, 14/08/05 - 5:21 AM Permalink

right on pc version, i am curious as to what updates there will be to the doom engine after they release the unreal 3 engine, you know john carmack has more advanced features programmed but not shown due to competition and limits of hardwrae. i don't know were to get enough texture packages . models and so on with the unreal demo engine, so i may just re buy the unreal 2004 game. just not a fan of the game but can't beat what you get for editing i guess for the money

Forum

I am not in the business at all, but in the past "LAST YEAR" I retook up attempting a modication to a game alone then with a friend, he had extensive C++ schooling and learned through trial error and knowlege on the python scripting code, I started out in the python with no past knowledge of code, i learned how to work around in the code, find what code was doing, alter this to do new events within the script and add things to this. what i am curious to find out. "i am not a tech wizard:(" is how different are the two languages and how hard is it for NON college person to learn programming as a whole, i ask because i want to dive into the unreal engine for the matinee features and i know you need a bit of knowledge on the unrealed, unreal script to do this. will trying to learn c help in learning this stuff also???

if i sound goofy or asking the wrong group just slap a closed on the thread lol i can be annoying to experience folk.

Submitted by shiva on Fri, 12/08/05 - 6:40 AM Permalink

unreal script is most similar to either java or c++
there are tonnes of online tutorials, and while i cant name one in particular that is good, i doubt you could go wrong with virtually any of them
its all knowledge in the end
good luck

Submitted by Jarod Pearce on Fri, 12/08/05 - 2:44 PM Permalink

problem i have is starting from nothing lol, just basic python code structure and such, funny i can make the game do some pretty nice events that i script in but can't figure out the python tutorials make a program work correctly lol. i was going to wait till stargate alliance came out to dive into learning the script but i may go get unreal 2004 dvd and start since at most the game has been delayed

Submitted by shiva on Fri, 12/08/05 - 4:52 PM Permalink

in regards to learning from scratch - we all have at some stage ;)

unreal script - if you dont want to buy anything, you can download the unreal engine 2 runtime demo, this is a feature complete build of the unreal engine (version 2, not sure how recent the build is compared with the build used for unreal tournament); also has a rather basic game framework on top.
it will allow you to fiddle with unreal script in a more basic form (without all the unreal tournament additions and overrides)

Submitted by Jarod Pearce on Fri, 12/08/05 - 6:56 PM Permalink

thanks, i'll look into it, i am really interested in the matinee and such as my interest are within the realm of the story and such not just gameplay persay. so hopefully it has unreal matinee as a feature

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 12/08/05 - 8:03 PM Permalink

Yeah, the unreal Engine 2 Runtime is what you'd want for making mods for the Unreal engine. Basically version 2(or 2.5 in some cases) of the Unreal Engine is the latest, with version 3 being held out for the PS3 and Xbox 360 IIRC.

But keep plugging away at it and soon you'll get somewhere, also ask someone who's already done a mod and ask them for feedback on the code. The more eyes looking at it the better.

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 13/08/05 - 7:59 AM Permalink

Bur it won't be out until its out on the console's first...

Submitted by Jarod Pearce on Sun, 14/08/05 - 5:21 AM Permalink

right on pc version, i am curious as to what updates there will be to the doom engine after they release the unreal 3 engine, you know john carmack has more advanced features programmed but not shown due to competition and limits of hardwrae. i don't know were to get enough texture packages . models and so on with the unreal demo engine, so i may just re buy the unreal 2004 game. just not a fan of the game but can't beat what you get for editing i guess for the money