Skip to main content

Polygon Modelling

Submitted by bullet21 on
Forum

I just got my self a copy of Gmax and did all the tutorials that come with it. I'm starting to get the hang of this whole 3D thing. I'v got you guys to thank for helping me so much, so thanx guys u rock.[;)]

I'v got one more question, can someone tell me how to model a polygon human, which is the best way.

Keep on Rockin'[8D]

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 11/12/03 - 10:46 AM Permalink

I assume you're talking about general modeling - highpoly type o' stuff. Generally, from my personal experiances and what I've found from students, is people react quite positively and fast to basic quad rule subdivisional modelling, in favour over many other techniques. In my personal opinion it's the most robust method (resolution independant, fast turn-around, well developed methodology, etc etc) - I could go on about it's pros/cons for some time, but that's not really what you need to hear. What I'm sure you want to hear is yes, it's easy to get into comparibly with other techniques. Yes it's a very technique for both organics and inorganics. If you're interested, study quad theory, subdivision modelling (aka box modelling), and edge loops. If you don't turn up too much, we'll be happy to point you in the direction of some resources.

Then again, if you didn't mean that, disregard all the above [;)]

In regards to the book, inside 3d studio max 3, it's actually one of the first books I got my hands on many years ago - I'd recommend a large chunk of it to any beginner starting out. Yes it's old now, but it's got a lot on basic stuff like colour theory and the basic mechanics that every standard 3d tech works off.

Suck the knowledge up - it's part of the basis of everything that's to come! [:)]

edit: Gmax... If I remember correctly it had the meshsmooth modifier (necessary for subdivisional modelling in 3dsmax), but had things like patches, surface tools, nurbs etc crippled - so you may actually be forced to pursue subdivisional modelling in any case! [:)]

Posted by bullet21 on
Forum

I just got my self a copy of Gmax and did all the tutorials that come with it. I'm starting to get the hang of this whole 3D thing. I'v got you guys to thank for helping me so much, so thanx guys u rock.[;)]

I'v got one more question, can someone tell me how to model a polygon human, which is the best way.

Keep on Rockin'[8D]

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 11/12/03 - 10:46 AM Permalink

I assume you're talking about general modeling - highpoly type o' stuff. Generally, from my personal experiances and what I've found from students, is people react quite positively and fast to basic quad rule subdivisional modelling, in favour over many other techniques. In my personal opinion it's the most robust method (resolution independant, fast turn-around, well developed methodology, etc etc) - I could go on about it's pros/cons for some time, but that's not really what you need to hear. What I'm sure you want to hear is yes, it's easy to get into comparibly with other techniques. Yes it's a very technique for both organics and inorganics. If you're interested, study quad theory, subdivision modelling (aka box modelling), and edge loops. If you don't turn up too much, we'll be happy to point you in the direction of some resources.

Then again, if you didn't mean that, disregard all the above [;)]

In regards to the book, inside 3d studio max 3, it's actually one of the first books I got my hands on many years ago - I'd recommend a large chunk of it to any beginner starting out. Yes it's old now, but it's got a lot on basic stuff like colour theory and the basic mechanics that every standard 3d tech works off.

Suck the knowledge up - it's part of the basis of everything that's to come! [:)]

edit: Gmax... If I remember correctly it had the meshsmooth modifier (necessary for subdivisional modelling in 3dsmax), but had things like patches, surface tools, nurbs etc crippled - so you may actually be forced to pursue subdivisional modelling in any case! [:)]