Skip to main content

what an idiot!

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on
Forum

http://au.news.yahoo.com//050809/15/vfmc.html

Wednesday August 10, 03:11 AM

S. Korean man dies after 50 hours of computer games

SEOUL (Reuters) - A South Korean man who played computer games for 50 hours almost non-stop died of heart failure minutes after finishing his mammoth session in an Internet cafe, authorities said Tuesday.
The 28-year-old man, identified only by his family name Lee, had been playing on-line battle simulation games at the cybercafe in the southeastern city of Taegu, police said.

Lee had planted himself in front of a computer monitor to play on-line games on Aug. 3. He only left the spot over the next three days to go to the toilet and take brief naps on a makeshift bed, they said.

"We presume the cause of death was heart failure stemming from exhaustion," a Taegu provincial police official said by telephone.

Lee had recently quit his job to spend more time playing games, the daily JoongAng Ilbo reported after interviewing former work colleagues and staff at the Internet cafe.

After he failed to return home, Lee's mother asked his former colleagues to find him. When they reached the cafe, Lee said he would finish the game and then go home, the paper reported.

He died a few minutes later, it said.

South Korea, one of the most wired countries in the world, has a large and highly developed game industry.

<<
[:p] the moral of this story.. well... err.. Just don't let games dominate your ENTIRE life.. there fun and profitable and creative..

not your one and only love [}:)]
>>

Submitted by Lechy on Thu, 11/08/05 - 2:07 AM Permalink

Hmm, I thought I was spending too much time playing warcraft 3 at the local net cafe. I've got nothing on this guy.

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 11/08/05 - 2:35 AM Permalink

this news seems to be going around everywhere today!

here's a simular story, only this on survived (and without sleep or toilet breaks it seems!):

[url]http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3141114[/url]

quote:From 8:00 A.M. on May 16 until 2:10 P.M. two days later, 25-year-old Brandon Erickson of Portland, Oregon blew up the Death Star over 1,500 times, raised $800 for the Portland Schools Foundation and broke the arcade marathon time record for Star Wars Arcade on a single quarter.

There was almost no time to breathe for Erickson. "Star Wars only let's you rest for about 7 seconds between levels. The gameplay is absolutely relentless," he said. "If I had left the controls for even 30 seconds, it would have been over. It's the most mentally and physically exhausting thing I've ever done."

35 hours after he started playing, however, the machine's controls started malfunctioning, forcing Erickson to quickly adaptor his playing style or kiss his record goodbye. Despite his fear of imminent doom, Erickson managed to survive for another 20 hours.

The previous marathon arcade record was also for Star Wars Arcade. In 1984, Brooklyn's Robert Mruczek survived for 49-1/2 hours.

Submitted by souri on Mon, 15/08/05 - 1:21 PM Permalink

Online battle simulation? Battlefield 2, or perhaps Counterstrike? In any case, 50 hours is certainly pretty damn long. Does anyone feel the internet cafe is negligent in some way for letting him play 50 hours straight? Don't they have a problem with hygene/body odour etc that one person can amass after 2 days without showering?

Posted by Anonymous (not verified) on
Forum

http://au.news.yahoo.com//050809/15/vfmc.html

Wednesday August 10, 03:11 AM

S. Korean man dies after 50 hours of computer games

SEOUL (Reuters) - A South Korean man who played computer games for 50 hours almost non-stop died of heart failure minutes after finishing his mammoth session in an Internet cafe, authorities said Tuesday.
The 28-year-old man, identified only by his family name Lee, had been playing on-line battle simulation games at the cybercafe in the southeastern city of Taegu, police said.

Lee had planted himself in front of a computer monitor to play on-line games on Aug. 3. He only left the spot over the next three days to go to the toilet and take brief naps on a makeshift bed, they said.

"We presume the cause of death was heart failure stemming from exhaustion," a Taegu provincial police official said by telephone.

Lee had recently quit his job to spend more time playing games, the daily JoongAng Ilbo reported after interviewing former work colleagues and staff at the Internet cafe.

After he failed to return home, Lee's mother asked his former colleagues to find him. When they reached the cafe, Lee said he would finish the game and then go home, the paper reported.

He died a few minutes later, it said.

South Korea, one of the most wired countries in the world, has a large and highly developed game industry.

<<
[:p] the moral of this story.. well... err.. Just don't let games dominate your ENTIRE life.. there fun and profitable and creative..

not your one and only love [}:)]
>>

Submitted by Lechy on Thu, 11/08/05 - 2:07 AM Permalink

Hmm, I thought I was spending too much time playing warcraft 3 at the local net cafe. I've got nothing on this guy.

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 11/08/05 - 2:35 AM Permalink

this news seems to be going around everywhere today!

here's a simular story, only this on survived (and without sleep or toilet breaks it seems!):

[url]http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3141114[/url]

quote:From 8:00 A.M. on May 16 until 2:10 P.M. two days later, 25-year-old Brandon Erickson of Portland, Oregon blew up the Death Star over 1,500 times, raised $800 for the Portland Schools Foundation and broke the arcade marathon time record for Star Wars Arcade on a single quarter.

There was almost no time to breathe for Erickson. "Star Wars only let's you rest for about 7 seconds between levels. The gameplay is absolutely relentless," he said. "If I had left the controls for even 30 seconds, it would have been over. It's the most mentally and physically exhausting thing I've ever done."

35 hours after he started playing, however, the machine's controls started malfunctioning, forcing Erickson to quickly adaptor his playing style or kiss his record goodbye. Despite his fear of imminent doom, Erickson managed to survive for another 20 hours.

The previous marathon arcade record was also for Star Wars Arcade. In 1984, Brooklyn's Robert Mruczek survived for 49-1/2 hours.

Submitted by souri on Mon, 15/08/05 - 1:21 PM Permalink

Online battle simulation? Battlefield 2, or perhaps Counterstrike? In any case, 50 hours is certainly pretty damn long. Does anyone feel the internet cafe is negligent in some way for letting him play 50 hours straight? Don't they have a problem with hygene/body odour etc that one person can amass after 2 days without showering?