Skip to main content

Impaler Crab, creature concept

Submitted by Pantmonger on

[img]http://www.pantmonger.com/concept/impaler_crab.jpg[/img]

Burying itself in moist beach sands is the method this patient carnivore uses to hunt. Waiting quietly, it exudes a smell of suger syrip though the hole on its dorsal ridge, the only part of its body above the ground. When prey approaches and makes contact with this heat sensitive dorsal ridge the crab launches itself forward at frightening speed hooking its prey with the barbs of its foreclaws, then with a powerful pulling motion the crab propels its sharp, bony head into its prey. If this thrust successfully delivers a mortal blow the crab remains lodged in its prey and starts secreting an enzyme filled saliva from its sphincter mouth on the underside of the head plate. After the liquid does its work the crab slurps up its feast and moves on to lie in wait for another victim.

A creature I made for conceptart.org creature of the week ?competition?
C+C welcome as always

Pantmonger

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 11/02/05 - 11:43 AM Permalink

Several things really strike me as 'not your run of the mill design' with this pants - I really like the pincer arms being second in line rather than right at the front - im not sure whether they would get in the way - but thats a refreshing change.

The little white parts sticking out on the back of the shell are interesting - I'm not sure whether they are there for a reason, but would probably hinder his ability to launch from the sand toward its prey.

Love the secretion idea too - very animal like behaviour.

Top Job [:)]

Submitted by Octane on Sat, 12/02/05 - 7:15 AM Permalink

[:D] i really like it!
Did you have to give it a bio for the comp?
lol, that was pretty good to! you can almost imagine it eating lol.
Tops.

Submitted by conundrum on Sat, 12/02/05 - 7:36 AM Permalink

i saw the entry and guessed it was you (the name and location sought of gave it away). it was a difficult topic and you ended up with a nice concept. the shape and colour is really good, the feeling of it certainly matched your description. hopefully you keep posting every week

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 12/02/05 - 10:39 PM Permalink

HazarD: Thanks, I?m not sure if the front most legs would get in the way either, but I wanted some additional stability and balance for that huge ?snout?, As for the little bits sticking out the back that?s more of a style of substance thing. Every now and then I sacrifice realistic design for perceived cool (Hell I do this a lot of the time actually) As for the secretion thing, it just seemed right.

Octane: Thanks, I?m glad you liked it and yes the Bio is part of the comp.

conundrum: Thanks, I?m going to endeavor to post every week, I want to become an active member of the forum and hopefully learn a few things from that huge pool of talent. I felt quite sorry for your little guy, he look in so much discomfort trying to pass that enormous orb, poor little bugger :)

Pantmonger

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 13/02/05 - 8:41 AM Permalink

Nice :)
The left pincer arm could be pulled out a bit more, ites very close compared to the one at the right.
There is not much on the way of surface texture as well. It looks like the shell is the same material/surface as the rest of its body, putting a in a few white specs on the legs could make them more slimy and wet looking.
Nice description too btw

Posted by Pantmonger on

[img]http://www.pantmonger.com/concept/impaler_crab.jpg[/img]

Burying itself in moist beach sands is the method this patient carnivore uses to hunt. Waiting quietly, it exudes a smell of suger syrip though the hole on its dorsal ridge, the only part of its body above the ground. When prey approaches and makes contact with this heat sensitive dorsal ridge the crab launches itself forward at frightening speed hooking its prey with the barbs of its foreclaws, then with a powerful pulling motion the crab propels its sharp, bony head into its prey. If this thrust successfully delivers a mortal blow the crab remains lodged in its prey and starts secreting an enzyme filled saliva from its sphincter mouth on the underside of the head plate. After the liquid does its work the crab slurps up its feast and moves on to lie in wait for another victim.

A creature I made for conceptart.org creature of the week ?competition?
C+C welcome as always

Pantmonger

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 11/02/05 - 11:43 AM Permalink

Several things really strike me as 'not your run of the mill design' with this pants - I really like the pincer arms being second in line rather than right at the front - im not sure whether they would get in the way - but thats a refreshing change.

The little white parts sticking out on the back of the shell are interesting - I'm not sure whether they are there for a reason, but would probably hinder his ability to launch from the sand toward its prey.

Love the secretion idea too - very animal like behaviour.

Top Job [:)]

Submitted by Octane on Sat, 12/02/05 - 7:15 AM Permalink

[:D] i really like it!
Did you have to give it a bio for the comp?
lol, that was pretty good to! you can almost imagine it eating lol.
Tops.

Submitted by conundrum on Sat, 12/02/05 - 7:36 AM Permalink

i saw the entry and guessed it was you (the name and location sought of gave it away). it was a difficult topic and you ended up with a nice concept. the shape and colour is really good, the feeling of it certainly matched your description. hopefully you keep posting every week

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 12/02/05 - 10:39 PM Permalink

HazarD: Thanks, I?m not sure if the front most legs would get in the way either, but I wanted some additional stability and balance for that huge ?snout?, As for the little bits sticking out the back that?s more of a style of substance thing. Every now and then I sacrifice realistic design for perceived cool (Hell I do this a lot of the time actually) As for the secretion thing, it just seemed right.

Octane: Thanks, I?m glad you liked it and yes the Bio is part of the comp.

conundrum: Thanks, I?m going to endeavor to post every week, I want to become an active member of the forum and hopefully learn a few things from that huge pool of talent. I felt quite sorry for your little guy, he look in so much discomfort trying to pass that enormous orb, poor little bugger :)

Pantmonger

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 13/02/05 - 8:41 AM Permalink

Nice :)
The left pincer arm could be pulled out a bit more, ites very close compared to the one at the right.
There is not much on the way of surface texture as well. It looks like the shell is the same material/surface as the rest of its body, putting a in a few white specs on the legs could make them more slimy and wet looking.
Nice description too btw