Skip to main content

Some inspiration for those just starting out

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

I just caught wind of this thread over at concept art dot org, and I thought it was pretty ordinary at first. You'll see what I mean when you check it out. I noticed that it went on for more than 10 pages so I jumped over to page 10 and found that the thread had a lot more pages. Anyway, what's incredible about this thread is that you get to see the authors capability improve in leaps and bounds, and in the end he's doing some absolutely incredible stuff.

Just goes to show what a few years of dedication (and art school) can do for ya! [url="http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=870&page=1&pp=60"] Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches[/url]

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Mon, 10/10/05 - 7:53 PM Permalink

Wow, I just went through all 24 pages of his thread and I must say it is very inspiering.
Shows you that practice really does help. :)

Submitted by Bluplet on Mon, 10/10/05 - 7:57 PM Permalink

That's a very nifty art journal happening there! Is always interesting to see how one improves over time.

Submitted by denz on Mon, 10/10/05 - 8:13 PM Permalink

Yeah very cool and inspiring. love the cast drawings.

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 10/10/05 - 8:35 PM Permalink

inspiration? absolutly. makes me want to try that or something simular. perhaps i'll add it to my very long list of "things to get done eventually"

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 10/10/05 - 11:58 PM Permalink

pheeeeeew your right, that really is quite a journey. Makes me feel ashamed i havent done enough recently :|

Submitted by cutty on Tue, 11/10/05 - 8:38 AM Permalink

The later stuff reminds me of work i've seen from Florence Academy of Art students/teachers.
The pros and cons of that type of art training has been discussed a bit on sijun forums as well.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 11/10/05 - 1:52 PM Permalink

Yeh, those cast drawings are awesome. They're photorealistic and seem to pop out of the picture. I'm totally envious of the paintings that he can do as well. They look like the work of a master. [:0]

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 11/10/05 - 7:03 PM Permalink

Wow, that thread is totally inspirational, thanks for posting the link. It?s simply astounding that someone can improve that much over only a few years. It?s got me fired up to keep plugging away with regular practice. Er, as soon as my exams are over in a few weeks anyway [xx(]

Submitted by cutty on Wed, 12/10/05 - 8:55 AM Permalink

er, just to clarify, my comment was supposed to be a bit of a backhanded compliment.
The line of reasoning i've heard on sijun that i agree most with is 'its focused learning, (albeit/hence) narrow.'
I'm not trying to bait though. I'm a big fan of traditional art skills and spent 4 yrs at art school but eventually you do get bored with drapery/cast studies and the like.
I'd like to see some of his work that isn't studies.

Submitted by Kratos on Sat, 15/10/05 - 6:31 PM Permalink

Wow .. thats an awesome thread .. his still going at it today .. yeah true most of the stuff he shows is from his studies, but study or not .. its the result his been able to get with so much practice that counts. AMAZING. Someone should start a modelling/texturing thread with game objects .. that would be cool.

Submitted by redwyre on Sun, 16/10/05 - 4:50 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

Yeh, those cast drawings are awesome. They're photorealistic and seem to pop out of the picture. I'm totally envious of the paintings that he can do as well. They look like the work of a master. [:0]

That's exactly what I thought too.

"Wait, that was his drawing?!?"

Posted by souri on
Forum

I just caught wind of this thread over at concept art dot org, and I thought it was pretty ordinary at first. You'll see what I mean when you check it out. I noticed that it went on for more than 10 pages so I jumped over to page 10 and found that the thread had a lot more pages. Anyway, what's incredible about this thread is that you get to see the authors capability improve in leaps and bounds, and in the end he's doing some absolutely incredible stuff.

Just goes to show what a few years of dedication (and art school) can do for ya! [url="http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=870&page=1&pp=60"] Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches[/url]

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Mon, 10/10/05 - 7:53 PM Permalink

Wow, I just went through all 24 pages of his thread and I must say it is very inspiering.
Shows you that practice really does help. :)

Submitted by Bluplet on Mon, 10/10/05 - 7:57 PM Permalink

That's a very nifty art journal happening there! Is always interesting to see how one improves over time.

Submitted by denz on Mon, 10/10/05 - 8:13 PM Permalink

Yeah very cool and inspiring. love the cast drawings.

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 10/10/05 - 8:35 PM Permalink

inspiration? absolutly. makes me want to try that or something simular. perhaps i'll add it to my very long list of "things to get done eventually"

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 10/10/05 - 11:58 PM Permalink

pheeeeeew your right, that really is quite a journey. Makes me feel ashamed i havent done enough recently :|

Submitted by cutty on Tue, 11/10/05 - 8:38 AM Permalink

The later stuff reminds me of work i've seen from Florence Academy of Art students/teachers.
The pros and cons of that type of art training has been discussed a bit on sijun forums as well.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 11/10/05 - 1:52 PM Permalink

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 11/10/05 - 7:03 PM Permalink

Wow, that thread is totally inspirational, thanks for posting the link. It?s simply astounding that someone can improve that much over only a few years. It?s got me fired up to keep plugging away with regular practice. Er, as soon as my exams are over in a few weeks anyway [xx(]

Submitted by cutty on Wed, 12/10/05 - 8:55 AM Permalink

er, just to clarify, my comment was supposed to be a bit of a backhanded compliment.
The line of reasoning i've heard on sijun that i agree most with is 'its focused learning, (albeit/hence) narrow.'
I'm not trying to bait though. I'm a big fan of traditional art skills and spent 4 yrs at art school but eventually you do get bored with drapery/cast studies and the like.
I'd like to see some of his work that isn't studies.

Submitted by Kratos on Sat, 15/10/05 - 6:31 PM Permalink

Wow .. thats an awesome thread .. his still going at it today .. yeah true most of the stuff he shows is from his studies, but study or not .. its the result his been able to get with so much practice that counts. AMAZING. Someone should start a modelling/texturing thread with game objects .. that would be cool.

Submitted by redwyre on Sun, 16/10/05 - 4:50 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

That's exactly what I thought too.

"Wait, that was his drawing?!?"