Skip to main content

Sumea Challenge #4 -3D- 'UniqueSnowFlake'

Just posting up my concept.. the Legs and Shield were a little rushed I wanted to start modelling..

[url]http://uniquesnowflake.web1000.com/sumea/Sumea4.html[/url]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Mon, 11/08/03 - 4:08 AM Permalink

cool, legs could probably be a bit longer though :)

*oops just saw that they were rushed*

Submitted by Happy Camper on Mon, 11/08/03 - 5:33 AM Permalink

Nice, can't wait to see the model. Luv the skull/helmut and the wings.

Submitted by rezn0r on Mon, 11/08/03 - 10:30 AM Permalink

Thats one meanass axe.

Scott.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 11/08/03 - 6:26 PM Permalink

Nice looking axe, but you might want to think about doing the edge of it in an alpha map, rather then modeling it. You will save a good 120 to 140 poly.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 11/08/03 - 7:24 PM Permalink

I think i would keep the axe with the polyies how they are, because looking at your concept you shouldn't have a problem getting under ther polycount. And alpha on things like that just doesn't look as powerful (weight) as it does build in full 3D.

I would make the wrings a little larger. I would personly build up the neck and shoulders, because of the size and weight in the head. But that is just me.

Submitted by ironikart on Mon, 11/08/03 - 9:32 PM Permalink

Axe looks pretty cool. That thigh armour looks a little familiar.

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Tue, 12/08/03 - 12:11 AM Permalink

Nice work. It's looking good so far. I like the helmet and axe.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 12/08/03 - 4:50 AM Permalink

Pretty cool man but his shoes really need a work around, they look like sneakers?!
I like the axe though, spikey boo ha ha.

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Tue, 12/08/03 - 7:45 PM Permalink

lol totaly agree with you Malus I hate those Frigen shoes.

like I said I was just doing a quicky.. so in the model the shoes will be something much cooler then Joggers or as I have put it before (to other people)"Nikes"

As well as that I'll make his legs fatter so he doesn't look so weak in the legs.

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Tue, 12/08/03 - 11:32 PM Permalink

knocked up the Head this morning.

[url]uniquesnowflake.web1000.com/sumea/sumeademonhead.html[/url]

Submitted by jacobt on Wed, 13/08/03 - 2:13 AM Permalink

That's looking pretty nice! Are you still going to have the small eye holes that are in the concept?

My concept has some of the same elements as yours (horns, wings, claws) but I think yours will end up being way way more menacing [:D]

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Wed, 13/08/03 - 3:48 AM Permalink

I put another picture up. has a bit of a back view.
Around the back of the head will be bandages.

and yeah. like the concept I'll texture in Cracks where he is looking though. Being the Overload and all I think he would be smart enough to be able to get around with limited vision.

I made the horns a little skinner. As farm boy 'doord' pointed out to me Horns can't be bigger then the area they come out of. just helps a little with that realism.

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Wed, 13/08/03 - 11:10 PM Permalink

Well my Webpage his had a shitta. apparently you need a password to view it now. So untill I can work out whats going on I won't be posting for a while.

Submitted by Ionized on Sat, 16/08/03 - 1:31 AM Permalink

This is coming along very nicely. The horns are just the perfect size. They seem very weighty and the face beneath the mask look quiote delicate. I like it a lot.

Submitted by Ninja on Tue, 19/08/03 - 12:19 AM Permalink

that is quite nice USF [:)] its a very good start to texturing im sure u will make the final much better [:D] keep up the good work [:)]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 19/08/03 - 8:38 AM Permalink

nice one pete, looks a little desaturated though

make those colours vibrant and sexy!!

Submitted by Mojo on Tue, 19/08/03 - 11:44 AM Permalink

oooh, i see you're getting better at texturing pete. looking good. might want to make those crossbars on the shield more defined though, they look painted on (i know they ARE painted on, but they shouldn't look it).

a technical question, does the characters weapons have to be within the poly count? and the textures on the character map? im assuming yes..?

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 19/08/03 - 6:48 PM Permalink

Yes its part of the count.
3500 polygons (tris) for everything including weapons, if your weapon is 500 polys then you have 3000 polys for the rest of the mesh.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 21/08/03 - 4:01 AM Permalink

Got some of that wireframe goodness so we can actually see something. [:P]

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Sat, 23/08/03 - 8:40 PM Permalink

model is pretty much done, so tell us some crits so I can make him a bit more sexy.

Poly Count at the moment = 3500

Dude = 2410
Imp = 420
Axe = 386
Shield = 128
Vodo doll = 156

http://uniquesnowflake.web1000.com/sumea/sumeademon.html

As usally for the last month my webpage is as unstable as a "Fli on Speed" So I'm unable to post the Wire up at the moment.. Yes there done.. just can't post them. So you will have to wait Malus so you can "Actually see something"

Submitted by Malus on Sun, 24/08/03 - 8:23 AM Permalink

Looking good man, like the little low poly imp. [:P]

Yeah I'm a wireframe nazi lol.
I just find it easier to tell how the model was created with the wireframe showing, makes sense.

Submitted by Ionized on Thu, 28/08/03 - 11:05 PM Permalink

This is coming along well USF, Good clean, chunky model. The armour and horns look really nice too. You might want to add some more polys into the hands if you can spare them. The thumb seems to be growing out of the wrist.

I also agree you might want to spend some more time on the shield texture. The crosses dont look embossed enough. Maybe try deepening the shadows and adding some rivets or something.

Otherwise, it's looking great. Can't wait to see it finished :)

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Wed, 01/10/03 - 8:26 PM Permalink

Was cool to see a heap of nice models for the challenge finshed all the best to the guys who finshed there stuff off. I went to camp on the weekend so it ate up my finshing time. I'll post a few pictures of where I was up to before I went on camp.

http://uniquesnowflake.web1000.com/Sumea/SumeaDemonGrey.html

As always I'd love your Crits/Comments.
Anyways back to work. Once again all the best to the guys who finshed.

(P.S. Camp was great [:D])

Submitted by jacobt on Wed, 01/10/03 - 9:09 PM Permalink

that looks awesome! any chance of seeing coloured version soon? [:)]

Submitted by Ionized on Wed, 01/10/03 - 11:54 PM Permalink

Very nice work. Only crit would be that the face looks like that of a woman, where the chest is distinctly male.

Other than that, a very good entry. Your textures looks great and it will be good to see them with some colour on.

Just posting up my concept.. the Legs and Shield were a little rushed I wanted to start modelling..

[url]http://uniquesnowflake.web1000.com/sumea/Sumea4.html[/url]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Mon, 11/08/03 - 4:08 AM Permalink

cool, legs could probably be a bit longer though :)

*oops just saw that they were rushed*

Submitted by Happy Camper on Mon, 11/08/03 - 5:33 AM Permalink

Nice, can't wait to see the model. Luv the skull/helmut and the wings.

Submitted by rezn0r on Mon, 11/08/03 - 10:30 AM Permalink

Thats one meanass axe.

Scott.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 11/08/03 - 6:26 PM Permalink

Nice looking axe, but you might want to think about doing the edge of it in an alpha map, rather then modeling it. You will save a good 120 to 140 poly.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Doord on Mon, 11/08/03 - 7:24 PM Permalink

I think i would keep the axe with the polyies how they are, because looking at your concept you shouldn't have a problem getting under ther polycount. And alpha on things like that just doesn't look as powerful (weight) as it does build in full 3D.

I would make the wrings a little larger. I would personly build up the neck and shoulders, because of the size and weight in the head. But that is just me.

Submitted by ironikart on Mon, 11/08/03 - 9:32 PM Permalink

Axe looks pretty cool. That thigh armour looks a little familiar.

Submitted by WAR HEAD on Tue, 12/08/03 - 12:11 AM Permalink

Nice work. It's looking good so far. I like the helmet and axe.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 12/08/03 - 4:50 AM Permalink

Pretty cool man but his shoes really need a work around, they look like sneakers?!
I like the axe though, spikey boo ha ha.

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Tue, 12/08/03 - 7:45 PM Permalink

lol totaly agree with you Malus I hate those Frigen shoes.

like I said I was just doing a quicky.. so in the model the shoes will be something much cooler then Joggers or as I have put it before (to other people)"Nikes"

As well as that I'll make his legs fatter so he doesn't look so weak in the legs.

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Tue, 12/08/03 - 11:32 PM Permalink

knocked up the Head this morning.

[url]uniquesnowflake.web1000.com/sumea/sumeademonhead.html[/url]

Submitted by jacobt on Wed, 13/08/03 - 2:13 AM Permalink

That's looking pretty nice! Are you still going to have the small eye holes that are in the concept?

My concept has some of the same elements as yours (horns, wings, claws) but I think yours will end up being way way more menacing [:D]

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Wed, 13/08/03 - 3:48 AM Permalink

I put another picture up. has a bit of a back view.
Around the back of the head will be bandages.

and yeah. like the concept I'll texture in Cracks where he is looking though. Being the Overload and all I think he would be smart enough to be able to get around with limited vision.

I made the horns a little skinner. As farm boy 'doord' pointed out to me Horns can't be bigger then the area they come out of. just helps a little with that realism.

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Wed, 13/08/03 - 11:10 PM Permalink

Well my Webpage his had a shitta. apparently you need a password to view it now. So untill I can work out whats going on I won't be posting for a while.

Submitted by Ionized on Sat, 16/08/03 - 1:31 AM Permalink

This is coming along very nicely. The horns are just the perfect size. They seem very weighty and the face beneath the mask look quiote delicate. I like it a lot.

Submitted by Ninja on Tue, 19/08/03 - 12:19 AM Permalink

that is quite nice USF [:)] its a very good start to texturing im sure u will make the final much better [:D] keep up the good work [:)]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 19/08/03 - 8:38 AM Permalink

nice one pete, looks a little desaturated though

make those colours vibrant and sexy!!

Submitted by Mojo on Tue, 19/08/03 - 11:44 AM Permalink

oooh, i see you're getting better at texturing pete. looking good. might want to make those crossbars on the shield more defined though, they look painted on (i know they ARE painted on, but they shouldn't look it).

a technical question, does the characters weapons have to be within the poly count? and the textures on the character map? im assuming yes..?

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 19/08/03 - 6:48 PM Permalink

Yes its part of the count.
3500 polygons (tris) for everything including weapons, if your weapon is 500 polys then you have 3000 polys for the rest of the mesh.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 21/08/03 - 4:01 AM Permalink

Got some of that wireframe goodness so we can actually see something. [:P]

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Sat, 23/08/03 - 8:40 PM Permalink

model is pretty much done, so tell us some crits so I can make him a bit more sexy.

Poly Count at the moment = 3500

Dude = 2410
Imp = 420
Axe = 386
Shield = 128
Vodo doll = 156

http://uniquesnowflake.web1000.com/sumea/sumeademon.html

As usally for the last month my webpage is as unstable as a "Fli on Speed" So I'm unable to post the Wire up at the moment.. Yes there done.. just can't post them. So you will have to wait Malus so you can "Actually see something"

Submitted by Malus on Sun, 24/08/03 - 8:23 AM Permalink

Looking good man, like the little low poly imp. [:P]

Yeah I'm a wireframe nazi lol.
I just find it easier to tell how the model was created with the wireframe showing, makes sense.

Submitted by Ionized on Thu, 28/08/03 - 11:05 PM Permalink

This is coming along well USF, Good clean, chunky model. The armour and horns look really nice too. You might want to add some more polys into the hands if you can spare them. The thumb seems to be growing out of the wrist.

I also agree you might want to spend some more time on the shield texture. The crosses dont look embossed enough. Maybe try deepening the shadows and adding some rivets or something.

Otherwise, it's looking great. Can't wait to see it finished :)

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Wed, 01/10/03 - 8:26 PM Permalink

Was cool to see a heap of nice models for the challenge finshed all the best to the guys who finshed there stuff off. I went to camp on the weekend so it ate up my finshing time. I'll post a few pictures of where I was up to before I went on camp.

http://uniquesnowflake.web1000.com/Sumea/SumeaDemonGrey.html

As always I'd love your Crits/Comments.
Anyways back to work. Once again all the best to the guys who finshed.

(P.S. Camp was great [:D])

Submitted by jacobt on Wed, 01/10/03 - 9:09 PM Permalink

that looks awesome! any chance of seeing coloured version soon? [:)]

Submitted by Ionized on Wed, 01/10/03 - 11:54 PM Permalink

Very nice work. Only crit would be that the face looks like that of a woman, where the chest is distinctly male.

Other than that, a very good entry. Your textures looks great and it will be good to see them with some colour on.