Skip to main content

XNA Game

Submitted by poser on
Submitted by davidcoen on Fri, 17/08/07 - 6:24 AM Permalink

very happy to see some of what you have been working on.

It looks very good, though i am not certain what nature of comment you are looking for so i may mention some things that spring to mind.

yes, that is a fantastic polygon count for environement and droids, but to me it suggessts a lot more work to be done to get the lighting and item interaction working together to get the scene to feel solid (talking about way feet conect to ground and light being part of the environment rather than direction drop shadow) depending how the light is to be treated in the environment, it could influence the cast shadows through the steam or if the steam should cast shadows...

also a difficulty in the computer medium is to express mass, there may be zero gravity for your environement but being floor bound suggests a directional gravity, so the droid may be lifting the crates on it's back and leaning against the force of the weight rather than everything straight up and down...

as i said these are just some random thoughts, presumably other details are the focus of these examples (like getting something with a nice polycount working) so my own comments are just about secondary impressions from that...

Submitted by robomaniac on Fri, 17/08/07 - 9:03 AM Permalink

very impressive screenshots...

i was tried XNA ealrier, but it eats my brains mostly by c#...
.. and i returened to good old Torque Game Engine, its enough to make good game prototype for me...

Posted by poser on

Submitted by davidcoen on Fri, 17/08/07 - 6:24 AM Permalink

very happy to see some of what you have been working on.

It looks very good, though i am not certain what nature of comment you are looking for so i may mention some things that spring to mind.

yes, that is a fantastic polygon count for environement and droids, but to me it suggessts a lot more work to be done to get the lighting and item interaction working together to get the scene to feel solid (talking about way feet conect to ground and light being part of the environment rather than direction drop shadow) depending how the light is to be treated in the environment, it could influence the cast shadows through the steam or if the steam should cast shadows...

also a difficulty in the computer medium is to express mass, there may be zero gravity for your environement but being floor bound suggests a directional gravity, so the droid may be lifting the crates on it's back and leaning against the force of the weight rather than everything straight up and down...

as i said these are just some random thoughts, presumably other details are the focus of these examples (like getting something with a nice polycount working) so my own comments are just about secondary impressions from that...

Submitted by robomaniac on Fri, 17/08/07 - 9:03 AM Permalink

very impressive screenshots...

i was tried XNA ealrier, but it eats my brains mostly by c#...
.. and i returened to good old Torque Game Engine, its enough to make good game prototype for me...