Skip to main content

favourtie cartoon

Submitted by bullet21 on
Forum

well i know there are alot of toon lovers out there, so which is your favourites?

I would definately have to go the anime route and it would be either Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex or Berserk. You have got to see these to they have catered for my 2d animation appetite which yankee cartoons couldn't do[:p]. I'm pretty sure ghost in the sheel has a bit of 3D in it as well, especially the vehicles and stuff don't look traditional.

Ninja Scroll is another awesome one[8D].

Submitted by palantir on Sat, 09/10/04 - 7:37 AM Permalink

Lets see..

The usual Manga classics like Ghost in the Shell, Ninja scroll (though I?m not into the serries much, but love the movie) and of course Akira. Blood the last vampire was a pretty cool movie too. There?s a few other Manga greats also..

Robotech and Macros was pretty cool. I?d love to see a 3D robotech movie! Actually I heard ages ago that someone was making a live action Mechwarrior movie.. don?t know if it?s still in production or not though.

Astroboy is great, though there are a few things about the new serries that I don?t like (?Let?s ROCKET!!?[;)])

I?m kind of embarrassed to admit it, but back in the 90?s when it first came out (I was just starting high school) I was a HUGE teenage mutant ninja turtles fan. Now the new serries has grown on me too, though I miss Beebob, Rocksteady, Crang and the technodrome!

Anything spider-man works for me, but I especially love the new serries based on the movies (which have some 3D also).

The Animatrix is awesome ? best matrix movie of them all!

The little anima section in Kill Bill vol 1 was pretty neat [:D]

Transformers ? the original serries; classic stuff.

Lion force Voltron!!!!

Battle of the planets!

Ulysees! Oh yeah! Looking forward to the DVD release over here.

?Ulysees Ulysees!
Soaring through all the galaxies,
In search of Earth??

I?ll stop now (I?m suddenly 10 again, living in the 80?s! [:P]).

Submitted by Me109 on Sun, 10/10/04 - 5:09 AM Permalink

Ren and Stimpy!!!! yay!!!
and followed by Macross Super Dimesional Fortress!!!

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 10/10/04 - 5:24 AM Permalink

I forgot my favourite comedy: Futurama. Bender rules! [:D]

Submitted by codyalday on Sun, 10/10/04 - 9:42 AM Permalink

Dragon Ball Z was my favourite. Also, like in 1997, a Robot show, my gosh that went for so long, not sure what it was called.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 11/10/04 - 2:40 AM Permalink

futurama!!!
ive seen allmost every episode :D

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 11/10/04 - 4:41 AM Permalink

Futurama and The Simpsons, i own every single Futurama episode on DVD [:)] (Season 4 includes the Season 5 episodes for those wondering [:p]).

You should buy the box sets, around here at JB Hi-Fi they are $39.95 each if i recall, pretty good for around 6-8 hours of goodness.

EDIT: I do recall watching a lot of Robo Tech and G.I. Joe when i was young aswell

G.I. Joes,
American heroes!

I still have the videos, and strangely enough so do alot of people i know...

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Mon, 11/10/04 - 5:45 AM Permalink

MASK? yeah it was good as a kid, but have you watched it lately? Do yourself a favour and don't, it'll ruin the illusion.

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 11/10/04 - 7:26 AM Permalink

Oh really? Damn. I suppose most of my memories of MASK come from playing with all the MASK toys my stepbrother and I had. Between us we had quite an army. I guess those battles would have been much more interesting then the actual TV show.
-Fond memories.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Mon, 11/10/04 - 8:01 AM Permalink

Talking of toys I used to have a pretty fine collection of He-man dolls when I was a young fella but I think my mum threw them out, damn her, I'm sure I could get money for those now on E-bay. ;)

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 11/10/04 - 8:22 AM Permalink

Haha - Yeah, I know what you mean - I had a large collection of (original) Star Wars figurines and toys. I remember sometime in the late 80's I sold them all at a flee market for a couple of bucks each. Now that collection would be worth hundreds, if not thousands...

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 11/10/04 - 5:52 PM Permalink

I am really into Fairly Odd Parents at the moment...god that show is funny!

Samurai Jack is also very cool...[:D]

Submitted by Major Clod on Mon, 11/10/04 - 10:36 PM Permalink

Definately Futurama. The Simpsons is great but I really think it should have finished a while back. Its just not as funny as it used to be.

Man I hope some more Futurama episodes are made! It still had so much to offer...

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 12/10/04 - 1:35 AM Permalink

In my youth it was definetely the Thundercats, Silverhawks, GIJoe, Hongkong Phooey etc

But now days its the Simpsons and Futurama.

Palantir: tell me about it! I've only kept a few pieces of my collections, damn fleemarkets lol.
I had amased a huge collection of star wars figurines and vehicles and I managed to get every item of Mask and GIJoe! Gotta love my parents though for shelling out the dough to begin with[:P]!!

Submitted by tbag on Tue, 12/10/04 - 4:50 AM Permalink

I still have a few original star wars figurines in the bathroom. They were originally bought for my brother and I. But over the years they were very well loved and eventually became bath toys and they are still in the bathroom, where i play with them everyday as they battle the sith shampoo and sith conditioner planets [:p]. Not really, but they are still their. There are two of them, one is Nickbar and the other is Actu, i cant actually spell their names but i'll research them now and post an update shortly [:)].

Submitted by souri on Wed, 13/10/04 - 1:26 AM Permalink

WIthout a doubt, Astroboy [:D] I watched a tonne of cartoons as a kid, but I only remember Astroboy off by heart.
Ninja Scroll blew my mind when I first saw it. It's one of the few old classics that I can still watch over and over again. It's got some really awesome action sequences, and cool imagery too. And ninjas rock. [;)]. Everytime I watch it, I'm thinking "someone has seriously gotta do a live version of this*.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 13/10/04 - 1:43 AM Permalink

Live version hey? I honestly doubt anyone could do it justice, I'd hate to see hollywood actors dressed up as ninjas bouncing around on wires, it's the most unnatural look in the world.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 13/10/04 - 1:47 AM Permalink

They can do it!! Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon showed that the whole roof jumping business can look awesome!

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 13/10/04 - 2:48 AM Permalink

As far as i knew they did a live anime. I think it was Evangelion though, how they did the massive angels beats me but what havent those japanese done? [:)]

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 13/10/04 - 3:51 AM Permalink

I wouldn?t trust it to Hollywood, the only thing they do well are the uncool things like comedy/romance and drama. However, what would be awesome to see would be a high budget 3D ninja scroll movie, like what Weta are doing with Neon Genesis. [url=http://www.cgnetworks.com/story.php?story_id=1901][/url]

We need more serious 3D, I?m getting sick of nothing but kids movies in 3D.

Hey Souri, did Astroboy in the 80's have the "let's rocket" catch phrase? It really annoys me [:P]

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 13/10/04 - 7:19 PM Permalink

Souri: yeah the roof jumping scenes were good for the most part, but when Ang Lee tried to get them to stand on bent over bamboo trees the illusion all fell apart for me. I'm mainly thinking of certain sequences in The Matrix and Kill Bill that really don't look good.

Nothing beats seeing a skilled martial artist that can really jump and flip around the place, someone like Jet Li or Jackie Chan in his early days could do it.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 14/10/04 - 3:02 AM Permalink

EVANGELION 3D JESUS CHRIST..........WHY WASNT I INFORMED

i'll be there

Submitted by Azryl on Mon, 18/10/04 - 12:03 AM Permalink

Invader Zim
gurr rulez [:)]

Submitted by TyKeiL on Mon, 18/10/04 - 1:24 AM Permalink

invader zim gets my vote.

in youth it was disney darkwing duck
now simpsons needs to be mentioned..
robotech, love hina was very cool. patlabor 1, appleseed, the first few seasons of samurai X,
disney: alladin, robin hoood

and most of all the memory of a really old series on tv called "mysterious city of gold".or somethign liek that. i only had pale memories of it but it rocked so much.. i think it was a french/japanese production shown on channel 2 about 18 years or more ago.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Mon, 18/10/04 - 1:49 AM Permalink

Tykiel: I seem to remember it being called 'The Lost Cities of Gold', but I might be wrong too. It was a great show though, always loved tuning in and following their adventures, I remember one guy had a face like a monkey.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Mon, 18/10/04 - 1:52 AM Permalink

Sorry, did a quick google, you were right it's 'mysterious cities of Gold'. There's plenty of fan sites out there.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 18/10/04 - 7:55 AM Permalink

add another tick to the invader zim box aswell
"i was the turkey all along!! meeeeeeee!!"

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 18/10/04 - 8:32 AM Permalink

Star Blazers, Battle of the Planets, Ulysses 31, Astro Boy, and Captain Harlock. I was a big fan of the Japanese and French animations.
Current Favorites. Cowboy Bebop, Macros Plus, most of Studio Ghibli with big love for Nausicca.

Pantmonger

Posted by bullet21 on
Forum

well i know there are alot of toon lovers out there, so which is your favourites?

I would definately have to go the anime route and it would be either Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex or Berserk. You have got to see these to they have catered for my 2d animation appetite which yankee cartoons couldn't do[:p]. I'm pretty sure ghost in the sheel has a bit of 3D in it as well, especially the vehicles and stuff don't look traditional.

Ninja Scroll is another awesome one[8D].

Submitted by palantir on Sat, 09/10/04 - 7:37 AM Permalink

Lets see..

The usual Manga classics like Ghost in the Shell, Ninja scroll (though I?m not into the serries much, but love the movie) and of course Akira. Blood the last vampire was a pretty cool movie too. There?s a few other Manga greats also..

Robotech and Macros was pretty cool. I?d love to see a 3D robotech movie! Actually I heard ages ago that someone was making a live action Mechwarrior movie.. don?t know if it?s still in production or not though.

Astroboy is great, though there are a few things about the new serries that I don?t like (?Let?s ROCKET!!?[;)])

I?m kind of embarrassed to admit it, but back in the 90?s when it first came out (I was just starting high school) I was a HUGE teenage mutant ninja turtles fan. Now the new serries has grown on me too, though I miss Beebob, Rocksteady, Crang and the technodrome!

Anything spider-man works for me, but I especially love the new serries based on the movies (which have some 3D also).

The Animatrix is awesome ? best matrix movie of them all!

The little anima section in Kill Bill vol 1 was pretty neat [:D]

Transformers ? the original serries; classic stuff.

Lion force Voltron!!!!

Battle of the planets!

Ulysees! Oh yeah! Looking forward to the DVD release over here.

?Ulysees Ulysees!
Soaring through all the galaxies,
In search of Earth??

I?ll stop now (I?m suddenly 10 again, living in the 80?s! [:P]).

Submitted by Me109 on Sun, 10/10/04 - 5:09 AM Permalink

Ren and Stimpy!!!! yay!!!
and followed by Macross Super Dimesional Fortress!!!

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 10/10/04 - 5:24 AM Permalink

I forgot my favourite comedy: Futurama. Bender rules! [:D]

Submitted by codyalday on Sun, 10/10/04 - 9:42 AM Permalink

Dragon Ball Z was my favourite. Also, like in 1997, a Robot show, my gosh that went for so long, not sure what it was called.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 11/10/04 - 2:40 AM Permalink

futurama!!!
ive seen allmost every episode :D

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 11/10/04 - 4:41 AM Permalink

Futurama and The Simpsons, i own every single Futurama episode on DVD [:)] (Season 4 includes the Season 5 episodes for those wondering [:p]).

You should buy the box sets, around here at JB Hi-Fi they are $39.95 each if i recall, pretty good for around 6-8 hours of goodness.

EDIT: I do recall watching a lot of Robo Tech and G.I. Joe when i was young aswell

G.I. Joes,
American heroes!

I still have the videos, and strangely enough so do alot of people i know...

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Mon, 11/10/04 - 5:45 AM Permalink

MASK? yeah it was good as a kid, but have you watched it lately? Do yourself a favour and don't, it'll ruin the illusion.

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 11/10/04 - 7:26 AM Permalink

Oh really? Damn. I suppose most of my memories of MASK come from playing with all the MASK toys my stepbrother and I had. Between us we had quite an army. I guess those battles would have been much more interesting then the actual TV show.
-Fond memories.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Mon, 11/10/04 - 8:01 AM Permalink

Talking of toys I used to have a pretty fine collection of He-man dolls when I was a young fella but I think my mum threw them out, damn her, I'm sure I could get money for those now on E-bay. ;)

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 11/10/04 - 8:22 AM Permalink

Haha - Yeah, I know what you mean - I had a large collection of (original) Star Wars figurines and toys. I remember sometime in the late 80's I sold them all at a flee market for a couple of bucks each. Now that collection would be worth hundreds, if not thousands...

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 11/10/04 - 5:52 PM Permalink

I am really into Fairly Odd Parents at the moment...god that show is funny!

Samurai Jack is also very cool...[:D]

Submitted by Major Clod on Mon, 11/10/04 - 10:36 PM Permalink

Definately Futurama. The Simpsons is great but I really think it should have finished a while back. Its just not as funny as it used to be.

Man I hope some more Futurama episodes are made! It still had so much to offer...

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 12/10/04 - 1:35 AM Permalink

In my youth it was definetely the Thundercats, Silverhawks, GIJoe, Hongkong Phooey etc

But now days its the Simpsons and Futurama.

Palantir: tell me about it! I've only kept a few pieces of my collections, damn fleemarkets lol.
I had amased a huge collection of star wars figurines and vehicles and I managed to get every item of Mask and GIJoe! Gotta love my parents though for shelling out the dough to begin with[:P]!!

Submitted by tbag on Tue, 12/10/04 - 4:50 AM Permalink

I still have a few original star wars figurines in the bathroom. They were originally bought for my brother and I. But over the years they were very well loved and eventually became bath toys and they are still in the bathroom, where i play with them everyday as they battle the sith shampoo and sith conditioner planets [:p]. Not really, but they are still their. There are two of them, one is Nickbar and the other is Actu, i cant actually spell their names but i'll research them now and post an update shortly [:)].

Submitted by souri on Wed, 13/10/04 - 1:26 AM Permalink

WIthout a doubt, Astroboy [:D] I watched a tonne of cartoons as a kid, but I only remember Astroboy off by heart.
Ninja Scroll blew my mind when I first saw it. It's one of the few old classics that I can still watch over and over again. It's got some really awesome action sequences, and cool imagery too. And ninjas rock. [;)]. Everytime I watch it, I'm thinking "someone has seriously gotta do a live version of this*.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 13/10/04 - 1:43 AM Permalink

Live version hey? I honestly doubt anyone could do it justice, I'd hate to see hollywood actors dressed up as ninjas bouncing around on wires, it's the most unnatural look in the world.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 13/10/04 - 1:47 AM Permalink

They can do it!! Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon showed that the whole roof jumping business can look awesome!

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 13/10/04 - 2:48 AM Permalink

As far as i knew they did a live anime. I think it was Evangelion though, how they did the massive angels beats me but what havent those japanese done? [:)]

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 13/10/04 - 3:51 AM Permalink

I wouldn?t trust it to Hollywood, the only thing they do well are the uncool things like comedy/romance and drama. However, what would be awesome to see would be a high budget 3D ninja scroll movie, like what Weta are doing with Neon Genesis. [url=http://www.cgnetworks.com/story.php?story_id=1901][/url]

We need more serious 3D, I?m getting sick of nothing but kids movies in 3D.

Hey Souri, did Astroboy in the 80's have the "let's rocket" catch phrase? It really annoys me [:P]

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 13/10/04 - 7:19 PM Permalink

Souri: yeah the roof jumping scenes were good for the most part, but when Ang Lee tried to get them to stand on bent over bamboo trees the illusion all fell apart for me. I'm mainly thinking of certain sequences in The Matrix and Kill Bill that really don't look good.

Nothing beats seeing a skilled martial artist that can really jump and flip around the place, someone like Jet Li or Jackie Chan in his early days could do it.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 14/10/04 - 3:02 AM Permalink

EVANGELION 3D JESUS CHRIST..........WHY WASNT I INFORMED

i'll be there

Submitted by Azryl on Mon, 18/10/04 - 12:03 AM Permalink

Invader Zim
gurr rulez [:)]

Submitted by TyKeiL on Mon, 18/10/04 - 1:24 AM Permalink

invader zim gets my vote.

in youth it was disney darkwing duck
now simpsons needs to be mentioned..
robotech, love hina was very cool. patlabor 1, appleseed, the first few seasons of samurai X,
disney: alladin, robin hoood

and most of all the memory of a really old series on tv called "mysterious city of gold".or somethign liek that. i only had pale memories of it but it rocked so much.. i think it was a french/japanese production shown on channel 2 about 18 years or more ago.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Mon, 18/10/04 - 1:49 AM Permalink

Tykiel: I seem to remember it being called 'The Lost Cities of Gold', but I might be wrong too. It was a great show though, always loved tuning in and following their adventures, I remember one guy had a face like a monkey.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Mon, 18/10/04 - 1:52 AM Permalink

Sorry, did a quick google, you were right it's 'mysterious cities of Gold'. There's plenty of fan sites out there.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 18/10/04 - 7:55 AM Permalink

add another tick to the invader zim box aswell
"i was the turkey all along!! meeeeeeee!!"

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 18/10/04 - 8:32 AM Permalink

Star Blazers, Battle of the Planets, Ulysses 31, Astro Boy, and Captain Harlock. I was a big fan of the Japanese and French animations.
Current Favorites. Cowboy Bebop, Macros Plus, most of Studio Ghibli with big love for Nausicca.

Pantmonger