Skip to main content

Give me some download links!

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

I just got Telstra Cable with a 10 gig limit per month.. I've been using my connection for the past week, and I've only managed to rack up a miserable 100 megabytes!!

I've been playing a few online games on Gamearena servers, and downloaded the Tribes:Vengeance beta off there as well, but they don't even count towards my limit..

So if you've seen some *awesome* 3d animation and movies, or anything else fantastic which is of a hefty size, then hit me with your recommendations!

Submitted by Sam on Thu, 09/09/04 - 7:11 PM Permalink

Hey Souri,

I just went to www.fileplanet.com last night and downloaded the demo for Medal of Honour - Rising Sun.
While you are there I am sure you could download a fair amount of good stuff, you have to sign up and sometimes wait but it doesn?t cost nothing.

Cheers
Sam

Submitted by lorien on Thu, 09/09/04 - 8:52 PM Permalink

download a linux distro or 10 :) Mandrake is nice and easy for newbies (though it wasn't the most stable distro last time I used it-which was ages ago) http://linux-mandrake.com

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 09/09/04 - 11:02 PM Permalink

Yeah, I got a 16gb cap on Internode, which hit me unexpectedly at the start of the month. Luckily I found enough downloads :-)
www.torrentz.com also has some nice links to other sites. There's also www.legaltorrents.com which you can download some indie music and other indie production type stuff...

Also if you're into Anime you might want to check out www.downloadanime.org and a.scarywater.net

Downloading anime episodes chews through your bandwidth...
And if running windows I would recommend www.torrentstorm.com as a torrent downloader. Although everyone has their preferences.

Submitted by X5 on Fri, 10/09/04 - 4:56 AM Permalink

robota moive trailer off the apple website

sorry no link im lazy

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 10/09/04 - 5:29 AM Permalink

souri youve got UT2k4 right? theres some fat mods about, start clicking to the nvidia make something unreal contest page (its on ut2k4.com somewhere) which will pretty much list them for you. Thats about the largest downloads ive made recently. That and pre-loading HL2

Submitted by souri on Fri, 10/09/04 - 8:50 AM Permalink

I don't really need to use Fileplanet because I can download off Gamearena, and it won't add to my download limit either [:)]. Also, I get like 600k's a second downloading the demos and game movies hosted there as well. They usually have the latest stuff. It's a bit odd being able to download 400mb movies/files in just few minutes! [:0]

I might give bittorent another go. I tried it a while ago and all I ended up with was a bunch of unfinished files and no seeds to be found anywhere.

Hey, I read about Robota years ago! Good to see it in motion finally [:)] The head artist/creative director type person for that was involved with The Phantom Menace...

I'm trying to keep my UT2K4 folder slim and not downloading until the next patch/bonus maps etc.. it's heading towards 10gigs of space already >.<

I decided to check out what that whole Red vs Blue thing was about today.... and I ended up downloading every episode from both seasons, and all the public service announcements! That stuff is hilarious!! If I knew what it was about previously, I might have made an attempt down to that ACMI screening in Melbourne!

Submitted by WiffleCube on Sat, 11/09/04 - 10:57 AM Permalink

Hmm.. You've HD space to burn..

If you don't know about Hotline then you really should get the client!

http://www.tucows.com/preview/193834.html
And to see what servers are up, and what they have available for download:
http://www.tracker-tracker.com
This product is totally safe, it just has ads in the client's toolbar.
It allows you to download all sorts of useful things, apps, games, mp3s, movies, and predates
the current messy clients by at least 10 years (incidentally that's about how long I've used it).
Note that this isn't an advocation of piracy, just stick to the 'legit' servers.
I think I've seen at least 3 sites dedicated to 3D computer graphics.

Submitted by WiffleCube on Sat, 11/09/04 - 10:59 AM Permalink

I forgot to mention, it's not even affected if your IE/Netscape
crashes, since it runs on its own protocol. Pretty bulletproof.

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 16/09/04 - 4:40 AM Permalink

re: red vers blue. heh. the 4th of july public service anouncments where about the best laugh i have had this year :))

'it run away time now'

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 16/09/04 - 5:59 AM Permalink

you know thats like the one ep i dont have...

*pouts*

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 25/09/04 - 3:28 AM Permalink

Sorry to bring back an old post, but i have been downloading some very cool stuff lately. go to suprnova.org. Then go into comics and then misc, it will come up with a list. Just look for artbooks, there just a collection of various artworks mostly anime cartoons. I got the Full Metal Alchemist one, it's so cool[8D]

Submitted by souri on Thu, 07/10/04 - 3:40 AM Permalink

Ok, I'm turning this thread into a list of "ways to use up your bandwidth limit" because I have a few suggestions now [:)]...

I don't have an Xbox, none of my friends have an Xbox, and unfortunately I don't plan on getting one (I'm too poor), so it broke my heart that the chances of me seeing the sequel to one of my most favourite arcade games was nil - until I fumbled onto kikizo.com !... They have a tonne of movies captured from Outrun 2, and you pretty much see *all* the beautiful levels and routes from the beginning right till the end! Pretty hefty file sizes (about 80mbs each), but I get a pretty good 50k/s download speed from there.. http://games.kikizo.com/news/200409/018.asp - Kikizo.com is a great place to download game movies and such as, unlike a lot of other game websites, they don't throw a tonne of page size banner ads, click throughs, waiting lines etc at you, and you get real fast speeds too..

Next place to chew up some bandwidth is : On the Spot - GameSpot's Live Weekly Show.. As you can guess, it's a live show with game news, reviews, previews, conventions and events, tonnes of developer interviews (sometimes you get a walkthrough of their offices too), Q/A sessions etc.. It streams into your browser, just click and you're off watching the show straight away. They have archives of all their shows, so you can spend a good deal of time just watching them all. I wish more of the big game websites did this!
What I like most is that, since they cover a fair bit of console stuff, you get to see games you don't generally see if, like me, you tend to visit sites that mostly cover PC games. http://www.gamespot.com/onthespot/

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 10/10/04 - 10:27 PM Permalink

I've been downloading a few animes lately using azareus (torrent client) and they are downloading very slowly. I've heard that time and popularity affect the speed but this has been going for ages and has some 90 odd seeds, yet still it's downloading at around 9 kbps with bigpond unlimited cabel.

I've got norton internet securities personal firewall enabled and the microsoft firewall disabled. I've been trying to forward the ports and i can't find a way to do this for norton. I also can't find bigpond in my connections.

does anyone have any ideas?

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 11/10/04 - 7:12 AM Permalink

It all depends on what other torrent clients are using as well, I have seen a recent slowdown in these, but that might be just transitory. If you keep it up you should get better speeds...

Posted by souri on
Forum

I just got Telstra Cable with a 10 gig limit per month.. I've been using my connection for the past week, and I've only managed to rack up a miserable 100 megabytes!!

I've been playing a few online games on Gamearena servers, and downloaded the Tribes:Vengeance beta off there as well, but they don't even count towards my limit..

So if you've seen some *awesome* 3d animation and movies, or anything else fantastic which is of a hefty size, then hit me with your recommendations!

Submitted by Sam on Thu, 09/09/04 - 7:11 PM Permalink

Hey Souri,

I just went to www.fileplanet.com last night and downloaded the demo for Medal of Honour - Rising Sun.
While you are there I am sure you could download a fair amount of good stuff, you have to sign up and sometimes wait but it doesn?t cost nothing.

Cheers
Sam

Submitted by lorien on Thu, 09/09/04 - 8:52 PM Permalink

download a linux distro or 10 :) Mandrake is nice and easy for newbies (though it wasn't the most stable distro last time I used it-which was ages ago) http://linux-mandrake.com

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 09/09/04 - 11:02 PM Permalink

Yeah, I got a 16gb cap on Internode, which hit me unexpectedly at the start of the month. Luckily I found enough downloads :-)
www.torrentz.com also has some nice links to other sites. There's also www.legaltorrents.com which you can download some indie music and other indie production type stuff...

Also if you're into Anime you might want to check out www.downloadanime.org and a.scarywater.net

Downloading anime episodes chews through your bandwidth...
And if running windows I would recommend www.torrentstorm.com as a torrent downloader. Although everyone has their preferences.

Submitted by X5 on Fri, 10/09/04 - 4:56 AM Permalink

robota moive trailer off the apple website

sorry no link im lazy

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 10/09/04 - 5:29 AM Permalink

souri youve got UT2k4 right? theres some fat mods about, start clicking to the nvidia make something unreal contest page (its on ut2k4.com somewhere) which will pretty much list them for you. Thats about the largest downloads ive made recently. That and pre-loading HL2

Submitted by souri on Fri, 10/09/04 - 8:50 AM Permalink

I don't really need to use Fileplanet because I can download off Gamearena, and it won't add to my download limit either [:)]. Also, I get like 600k's a second downloading the demos and game movies hosted there as well. They usually have the latest stuff. It's a bit odd being able to download 400mb movies/files in just few minutes! [:0]

I might give bittorent another go. I tried it a while ago and all I ended up with was a bunch of unfinished files and no seeds to be found anywhere.

Hey, I read about Robota years ago! Good to see it in motion finally [:)] The head artist/creative director type person for that was involved with The Phantom Menace...

I'm trying to keep my UT2K4 folder slim and not downloading until the next patch/bonus maps etc.. it's heading towards 10gigs of space already >.<

I decided to check out what that whole Red vs Blue thing was about today.... and I ended up downloading every episode from both seasons, and all the public service announcements! That stuff is hilarious!! If I knew what it was about previously, I might have made an attempt down to that ACMI screening in Melbourne!

Submitted by WiffleCube on Sat, 11/09/04 - 10:57 AM Permalink

Hmm.. You've HD space to burn..

If you don't know about Hotline then you really should get the client!

http://www.tucows.com/preview/193834.html
And to see what servers are up, and what they have available for download:
http://www.tracker-tracker.com
This product is totally safe, it just has ads in the client's toolbar.
It allows you to download all sorts of useful things, apps, games, mp3s, movies, and predates
the current messy clients by at least 10 years (incidentally that's about how long I've used it).
Note that this isn't an advocation of piracy, just stick to the 'legit' servers.
I think I've seen at least 3 sites dedicated to 3D computer graphics.

Submitted by WiffleCube on Sat, 11/09/04 - 10:59 AM Permalink

I forgot to mention, it's not even affected if your IE/Netscape
crashes, since it runs on its own protocol. Pretty bulletproof.

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 16/09/04 - 4:40 AM Permalink

re: red vers blue. heh. the 4th of july public service anouncments where about the best laugh i have had this year :))

'it run away time now'

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 16/09/04 - 5:59 AM Permalink

you know thats like the one ep i dont have...

*pouts*

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 25/09/04 - 3:28 AM Permalink

Sorry to bring back an old post, but i have been downloading some very cool stuff lately. go to suprnova.org. Then go into comics and then misc, it will come up with a list. Just look for artbooks, there just a collection of various artworks mostly anime cartoons. I got the Full Metal Alchemist one, it's so cool[8D]

Submitted by souri on Thu, 07/10/04 - 3:40 AM Permalink

Ok, I'm turning this thread into a list of "ways to use up your bandwidth limit" because I have a few suggestions now [:)]...

I don't have an Xbox, none of my friends have an Xbox, and unfortunately I don't plan on getting one (I'm too poor), so it broke my heart that the chances of me seeing the sequel to one of my most favourite arcade games was nil - until I fumbled onto kikizo.com !... They have a tonne of movies captured from Outrun 2, and you pretty much see *all* the beautiful levels and routes from the beginning right till the end! Pretty hefty file sizes (about 80mbs each), but I get a pretty good 50k/s download speed from there.. http://games.kikizo.com/news/200409/018.asp - Kikizo.com is a great place to download game movies and such as, unlike a lot of other game websites, they don't throw a tonne of page size banner ads, click throughs, waiting lines etc at you, and you get real fast speeds too..

Next place to chew up some bandwidth is : On the Spot - GameSpot's Live Weekly Show.. As you can guess, it's a live show with game news, reviews, previews, conventions and events, tonnes of developer interviews (sometimes you get a walkthrough of their offices too), Q/A sessions etc.. It streams into your browser, just click and you're off watching the show straight away. They have archives of all their shows, so you can spend a good deal of time just watching them all. I wish more of the big game websites did this!
What I like most is that, since they cover a fair bit of console stuff, you get to see games you don't generally see if, like me, you tend to visit sites that mostly cover PC games. http://www.gamespot.com/onthespot/

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 10/10/04 - 10:27 PM Permalink

I've been downloading a few animes lately using azareus (torrent client) and they are downloading very slowly. I've heard that time and popularity affect the speed but this has been going for ages and has some 90 odd seeds, yet still it's downloading at around 9 kbps with bigpond unlimited cabel.

I've got norton internet securities personal firewall enabled and the microsoft firewall disabled. I've been trying to forward the ports and i can't find a way to do this for norton. I also can't find bigpond in my connections.

does anyone have any ideas?

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 11/10/04 - 7:12 AM Permalink

It all depends on what other torrent clients are using as well, I have seen a recent slowdown in these, but that might be just transitory. If you keep it up you should get better speeds...