Skip to main content

AGDC Unsigned Games

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on
Forum

Hey All,

Just wondered if anyone was entering the Unsigned Game Comp. at the AGDC this year?

cheers

Matt

Submitted by Ninja on Tue, 09/09/03 - 11:49 PM Permalink

what is the unsigned game comp ? [:)]

Submitted by MITA Studios on Wed, 10/09/03 - 1:18 AM Permalink

It's a competition that the AGDC hosted last year (and guess it will host again this year), for games that have no publishing contract and have been developed by 'new' studios (I think they can't be together for more than 2 years, according to last years rules?)

I just wanted to check out what competition our game might have.

cheers

Matt

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 10/09/03 - 8:04 AM Permalink

There'll be at least the two Diploma2 games from the AIE...though we ain't getting any special lovin this year :) (Have to organise computers etc. ourselves).
The games are Deliverance - a racing style game and...ummm can't remember what the other groups is called, but it's a side-scrolling beat 'em up type game, in the vain of golden axe, double dragon style.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by MITA Studios on Wed, 10/09/03 - 9:23 AM Permalink

Cool,

We're entering 'Antipode : The Insect Isles" a 3D real-time strategy / RPG. Look forward to seeing you there! Looks like it might be Melbourne vs Canberra so far! :)

Matt

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 10/09/03 - 11:42 AM Permalink

I think there may be some entries from QANTM too, but dunno.
I remember hearing about antipode earlier. Was it originally planned to enter into the unsigned comp last year? Or was it at some stage this year that i heard about it? :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by MITA Studios on Wed, 10/09/03 - 8:06 PM Permalink

We attended the AGDC last year simply to assess the competition, we didn't have anything to enter. We've been developing Antipode all year though, you probably heard about it on the news page, when I was looking for artists and AI developers to join the team.

Matt

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 11/09/03 - 8:42 AM Permalink

I was planning on having something for the AGDC, but with uni and other things I don't think it'll be anywhere close to finished by the deadline.

Submitted by Switchblade on Sun, 05/10/03 - 9:03 PM Permalink

Is there any documentation about this competition on the AGDC's website? I can't seem to find any and am very interested. What's the prize? Are you allowed to use external engine technology (i.e. something that you've licensed and are legally allowed to use)?

Switchblade

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 06/10/03 - 3:36 AM Permalink

There isn't really anything on the website about it yet, but last year they only got it up like a few weeks before the event.
Your best bet is to email ponc@agdc.com.au and express your interest.
I don't think there is any prize...? (Was there one last year?) Other than the prestige and publicity for winning. (The winner was announced in agdc coverage article in atomicPC or PC powerplay last year...)
I don't see any reason why you would not be able to use licensed engine tech (after all, a lot of the unsigned games this year will be using the auran JET engine), as long as you fit the "unsigned" bill (you don't currently have a publishing contract for the game).
Also of note (and i don't think this is on the website yet), there aer two unsigned categories this year. One for indie, and one for established developers. We could get some REALLY nice prototypes being shown by establised developers if we're lucky :P
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by MITA Studios on Wed, 08/10/03 - 2:36 AM Permalink

the prize last year was a full licensed copy of 3ds Max 5 :)

Matt

Submitted by Switchblade on Thu, 09/10/03 - 5:33 AM Permalink

The prize this year is a copy of 3DS Max 6 with CS included, according to Pon. I emailed him and he said they will put up more information on their website in the near future, probably before the end of the week.

Lachie

Submitted by souri on Thu, 09/10/03 - 5:50 AM Permalink

Pon is female, I believe.

Submitted by Jacana on Thu, 09/10/03 - 6:31 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

She very much is :)

I talked with Pon last week and was told that their web desinger was ill. I am guessing that it has something to do with why the info was not up any sooner.

If someone notices that the site has been updated with the info for Unsigned Games can you put up a link here?

Submitted by rgsymons on Fri, 10/10/03 - 4:19 AM Permalink

Hi All,

Noticed the information and form for the AGDC awards for Unsigned Games are up at the AGDC site:

http://www.agdc.com.au/awards/awards_unsigned_form.php

as follows:

Award Categories:
? Award for Best Unsigned Game (Professional)
? Award for Best Unsigned Game (Indie)

----------------------------------------------------------
Rules & Regulations

All game demos must be playable and as bug free as possible.
All games short listed for eligibility in the categories of Award for Best Unsigned Game (Professional) or Award for Best Unsigned Game (Indie) will be on display during the AGDC.

All nominees must be willing to supply and setup their own computer hardware and software for demonstration in the Expo area from Thursday, 20 to Sunday 23 November 2003.

A maximum of three (3) computers are allowed per team and a maximum of two trestle tables (2) will be provided by AGDC.

All delegates who attend the Australian Game Developers Conference will have the chance to test the games and submit their vote on a numbered ballot paper provided in the delegate satchel.

Setup times are from 1400-1800 hours Wednesday 19 or from 0800-0900 hours on Thursday, 20 November 2003. Pack down time is from 1400-1800 hours, Sunday, 23 November 2003.

AGDC recommends that equipment be supervised at all times. AGDC will not be liable for the loss, theft or damage of any equipment.

Unsigned game demonstrators will receive an Expo Pass which offers entry to the Expo Hall on Thursday 20-Sunday 23 November 2003; a name badge and access to the AGD Award Presentation in the Latrobe Theatre, from 1235-1305 hours, Sunday, 23 November 2003.

Teams for the Award for Best Unsigned Game (Indie) will have the chance to "pitch" their game and show off a movie of gameplay for a maximum of 10 minutes to delegates, potential publishers and developers at 1335-1435 hours Saturday, 22 November 2003.

Cheers,

Ross.

Submitted by Switchblade on Sun, 12/10/03 - 7:52 PM Permalink

Oh! My bad :) Sorry Pon. hehe

One of the regulations is that you have to have a computer there displaying the game. My team is scattered all over Australia, with a few members in Melbourne, so I don't think that we will enter simply cause we're going to have about 2 or 3 people there, and I don't think we can stand there all day to display the game.

I do, however, have contacts in Monash's School of Multimedia... they are having a stand there to promote their new game development course. I wonder if it's OK (with the AGDC) for me to display my stuff there, instead of on a separate trestle table? Just to provide supervision, mind.

Lachie

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 13/10/03 - 3:28 AM Permalink

I think thats a question you need to be asking Pon, rather than in here :)
CYer, Blitz

Posted by Anonymous (not verified) on
Forum

Hey All,

Just wondered if anyone was entering the Unsigned Game Comp. at the AGDC this year?

cheers

Matt

Submitted by Ninja on Tue, 09/09/03 - 11:49 PM Permalink

what is the unsigned game comp ? [:)]

Submitted by MITA Studios on Wed, 10/09/03 - 1:18 AM Permalink

It's a competition that the AGDC hosted last year (and guess it will host again this year), for games that have no publishing contract and have been developed by 'new' studios (I think they can't be together for more than 2 years, according to last years rules?)

I just wanted to check out what competition our game might have.

cheers

Matt

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 10/09/03 - 8:04 AM Permalink

There'll be at least the two Diploma2 games from the AIE...though we ain't getting any special lovin this year :) (Have to organise computers etc. ourselves).
The games are Deliverance - a racing style game and...ummm can't remember what the other groups is called, but it's a side-scrolling beat 'em up type game, in the vain of golden axe, double dragon style.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by MITA Studios on Wed, 10/09/03 - 9:23 AM Permalink

Cool,

We're entering 'Antipode : The Insect Isles" a 3D real-time strategy / RPG. Look forward to seeing you there! Looks like it might be Melbourne vs Canberra so far! :)

Matt

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 10/09/03 - 11:42 AM Permalink

I think there may be some entries from QANTM too, but dunno.
I remember hearing about antipode earlier. Was it originally planned to enter into the unsigned comp last year? Or was it at some stage this year that i heard about it? :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by MITA Studios on Wed, 10/09/03 - 8:06 PM Permalink

We attended the AGDC last year simply to assess the competition, we didn't have anything to enter. We've been developing Antipode all year though, you probably heard about it on the news page, when I was looking for artists and AI developers to join the team.

Matt

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 11/09/03 - 8:42 AM Permalink

I was planning on having something for the AGDC, but with uni and other things I don't think it'll be anywhere close to finished by the deadline.

Submitted by Switchblade on Sun, 05/10/03 - 9:03 PM Permalink

Is there any documentation about this competition on the AGDC's website? I can't seem to find any and am very interested. What's the prize? Are you allowed to use external engine technology (i.e. something that you've licensed and are legally allowed to use)?

Switchblade

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 06/10/03 - 3:36 AM Permalink

There isn't really anything on the website about it yet, but last year they only got it up like a few weeks before the event.
Your best bet is to email ponc@agdc.com.au and express your interest.
I don't think there is any prize...? (Was there one last year?) Other than the prestige and publicity for winning. (The winner was announced in agdc coverage article in atomicPC or PC powerplay last year...)
I don't see any reason why you would not be able to use licensed engine tech (after all, a lot of the unsigned games this year will be using the auran JET engine), as long as you fit the "unsigned" bill (you don't currently have a publishing contract for the game).
Also of note (and i don't think this is on the website yet), there aer two unsigned categories this year. One for indie, and one for established developers. We could get some REALLY nice prototypes being shown by establised developers if we're lucky :P
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by MITA Studios on Wed, 08/10/03 - 2:36 AM Permalink

the prize last year was a full licensed copy of 3ds Max 5 :)

Matt

Submitted by Switchblade on Thu, 09/10/03 - 5:33 AM Permalink

The prize this year is a copy of 3DS Max 6 with CS included, according to Pon. I emailed him and he said they will put up more information on their website in the near future, probably before the end of the week.

Lachie

Submitted by souri on Thu, 09/10/03 - 5:50 AM Permalink

Submitted by Jacana on Thu, 09/10/03 - 6:31 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

She very much is :)

I talked with Pon last week and was told that their web desinger was ill. I am guessing that it has something to do with why the info was not up any sooner.

If someone notices that the site has been updated with the info for Unsigned Games can you put up a link here?

Submitted by rgsymons on Fri, 10/10/03 - 4:19 AM Permalink

Hi All,

Noticed the information and form for the AGDC awards for Unsigned Games are up at the AGDC site:

http://www.agdc.com.au/awards/awards_unsigned_form.php

as follows:

Award Categories:
? Award for Best Unsigned Game (Professional)
? Award for Best Unsigned Game (Indie)

Rules & Regulations

All game demos must be playable and as bug free as possible.
All games short listed for eligibility in the categories of Award for Best Unsigned Game (Professional) or Award for Best Unsigned Game (Indie) will be on display during the AGDC.

All nominees must be willing to supply and setup their own computer hardware and software for demonstration in the Expo area from Thursday, 20 to Sunday 23 November 2003.

A maximum of three (3) computers are allowed per team and a maximum of two trestle tables (2) will be provided by AGDC.

All delegates who attend the Australian Game Developers Conference will have the chance to test the games and submit their vote on a numbered ballot paper provided in the delegate satchel.

Setup times are from 1400-1800 hours Wednesday 19 or from 0800-0900 hours on Thursday, 20 November 2003. Pack down time is from 1400-1800 hours, Sunday, 23 November 2003.

AGDC recommends that equipment be supervised at all times. AGDC will not be liable for the loss, theft or damage of any equipment.

Unsigned game demonstrators will receive an Expo Pass which offers entry to the Expo Hall on Thursday 20-Sunday 23 November 2003; a name badge and access to the AGD Award Presentation in the Latrobe Theatre, from 1235-1305 hours, Sunday, 23 November 2003.

Teams for the Award for Best Unsigned Game (Indie) will have the chance to "pitch" their game and show off a movie of gameplay for a maximum of 10 minutes to delegates, potential publishers and developers at 1335-1435 hours Saturday, 22 November 2003.

Cheers,

Ross.

Submitted by Switchblade on Sun, 12/10/03 - 7:52 PM Permalink

Oh! My bad :) Sorry Pon. hehe

One of the regulations is that you have to have a computer there displaying the game. My team is scattered all over Australia, with a few members in Melbourne, so I don't think that we will enter simply cause we're going to have about 2 or 3 people there, and I don't think we can stand there all day to display the game.

I do, however, have contacts in Monash's School of Multimedia... they are having a stand there to promote their new game development course. I wonder if it's OK (with the AGDC) for me to display my stuff there, instead of on a separate trestle table? Just to provide supervision, mind.

Lachie

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 13/10/03 - 3:28 AM Permalink

I think thats a question you need to be asking Pon, rather than in here :)
CYer, Blitz