Skip to main content

Hellion WIP

Submitted by Delmo on

Hey everyone, just something I've been working on throughout the week. I'm planning on creating the character naked and will later be creating seperate armour peice which I will attach. The character will have muliple 2048 diffuse, specular, and normal maps textures with a poly count up to 20 000 tris including all armour and weapon. I will also be animating it and will add some cloth simulation. The aim is to create a film quality character that might be seen in the future video games as technology progresses. So far just modeling the low poly naked model, nearly done. The concept is by Herman Ng. C & C are welcome as always. :)

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/delmo/2005785413_HellionWIP01.JP…]

Submitted by denz on Sat, 09/07/05 - 8:04 PM Permalink

great work delmo.

nothing to crit realy.

Submitted by popawheelie on Sat, 09/07/05 - 8:44 PM Permalink

Great work Delmo! Are u using zbrush 2 for the normal map? The model would really be brought to life with veins and ripples in the muscle from the normal map. Also u can sink the skin around the vertebrae to have bones stick out etc. Awesome model.
pop

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 09/07/05 - 10:12 PM Permalink

fantastic work as always mate, i realy like the definition on the arms and sholders. can we see the concept?

also i think he would look really cool with spikes, or something [:D] (yes, my comment dosn't really offer much does it)

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 10/07/05 - 2:55 AM Permalink

awesome Delmo!
The muscle structure around the knee looks a little odd, but that might look better when smoooooooothed.
The feet look a bit plain but nothing major.
Looking forward to seeing more of this :)

Submitted by LiveWire on Sun, 10/07/05 - 3:18 AM Permalink

ahh a new website layout too (so your forgiven for linking through/pimping your site rather than directing straight to the image [:)])

looks nice, i like this design a little better than the previous one.

as for the concept - i was right! it does look cool with spikes or something! (i.e. the armour)

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Sun, 10/07/05 - 6:20 AM Permalink

quote:ahh a new website layout too (so your forgiven for linking through/pimping your site rather than directing straight to the image )

Heh, I had to sneak it in somewhere ;)

Now that I look at the guy, the feet seem like the need to be raised so that he walks on the ball of his foot. Sort of like a a T-rex. The feet need a bit more tweaking, as the concept's foot isn't really as triangular as it is on the model.

Submitted by Delmo on Tue, 12/07/05 - 7:54 AM Permalink

denz: Thanks mate.

popawheelie: Cheers budheh, I will most definitely be using zbrush for the high poly source model due to the organic shapes.

LiveWire: Hey man, yeah he has some mean spikes on his armour.

Anuxinamoon: The feet were just blocked out at that stage. I tryed the T-rex type feet and looked strange.

Anyway, here's the final stage of the mesh.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/delmo/200571175114_HellionWires…]

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Tue, 12/07/05 - 1:10 PM Permalink

oh yeah those feet look heaps better. :) Good work!

Will you be texturing him naked and then putting amour on top or are you gonna try to make it all one mesh type thing?

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 13/07/05 - 8:42 AM Permalink

Looking cool Pat, i think the feet still need work, give them a more natural shape as they still seem too flat.

Give them arches too.

Submitted by MarkMash on Fri, 15/07/05 - 11:50 AM Permalink

looks great.

I agree with the feet comment, they look a little sharp on the side edge.

Great work!

Submitted by popawheelie on Sun, 17/07/05 - 10:07 PM Permalink

looking really nice, good clean model. One thing that stands out, and im being alittle over the top, is the polys around the middle of the back, the polys lose flow. Shouldn't this area look similiar to the base of the spine, in regards to the topology.
I agree with the other posters that the feet look alittle flat (maybe the need a to slope off more at the edges, but on the other hand, he's a big mother and they usually have bigass flat feet. Not to mention veins and tendons in zbrush running across the top of the feet as they are now, would make it look more natural.(but im sure u know that.)
keep up the good work!
pop

Submitted by Delmo on Thu, 21/07/05 - 3:38 AM Permalink

Anuxinamoon: I think I'll texture the naked mesh first and then start building the armour on top.

Malus: I've worked on the feet a bit more gave it more of a feet shape from the bottom view and gave it an arch.

MarkMash: Thanks.

unknowncity555: oops, sorry forgot to answer your question on the last post. I'm using 3ds max for the low poly and zbrush for the high poly source model.

Pop: Yeah true I noticed that too might cut some polys out of there.

Thanks for the comments. I will update with renders of the finished high when I'm done.

Submitted by 3DArty on Fri, 26/08/05 - 7:35 PM Permalink

Nice work as allways It's going to look grate with the texture on it when it's done.

Top Job :)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 27/08/05 - 12:44 AM Permalink

thats all kinds of cool, allthough the nipples seem allmost non existant at this stage...

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Sat, 27/08/05 - 3:53 AM Permalink

quote:why doesn't anyone model the wang these days.

Dunno I think its a guy thing....

Submitted by Delmo on Sat, 17/09/05 - 7:48 AM Permalink

Hey all, sorry havn't posted much I've been alittle ill. Im getting close to the texture stage now, about 95 percent completed the modeling. Still need to do some polishing up and his weapon.

3DArty: Yeah, I hope I really improve on this texture job. I'm planning to hand paint majority of it so we will have to see what happens.

Wizenedoldman: Thanks budheh!

MoonUnit: yeah thats true. I'll change it when I go through and start polishing.

Sorceror Bob: I havn't modelled a wang since it's game art. If I was creating a statue or doing a whole anatomical study I probably would model in genetelia.

Anuxinamoon: I'm not sure if that's nessasry true, just depends on the purpose of the model.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/delmo/200591671652_HellionNormal…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/delmo/200591671754_HellionNormal…"[/img]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/delmo/20059167195_Wires01.jpg[/i…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/delmo/200591672037_Wires02.jpg[/…]

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 19/09/05 - 7:19 PM Permalink

is the armour made up of seperate elements (it looks like it), or is it mostly attached to the mesh? i ask becuase the high-res model looks like one solid mesh, and i was wondering how that works for the normal map when some parts of the low res model, such as the body, are below others, such as the armour. i would have thought you normal map each part seperatly, doing it all as one works does it?

Submitted by Delmo on Tue, 20/09/05 - 2:00 AM Permalink

Codyalday: Thanks for the kind words bud.

LiveWire: Yeah your right, the armour parts are seperate elements. The model you see there is the normal mapped version. I've rendered the normal maps as I've progressed so I can get an idea of where I'm heading. Rendering out normals for a character in one shot will result to messy normals without using a cage. I find the best way for me is to render out the normals in seperate objects.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 20/09/05 - 2:53 AM Permalink

Livewire: You can render it all in one hit as well - and it does work, you just need greater control of the cage and ultimately more cleaning up in photoshop - which can get pretty tedious and time consuming. So like Pat, I choose seperate elements also, you can have alot more control over each piece with a simpler cage, and far less cleanup time.

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 20/09/05 - 3:03 AM Permalink

cool, that's what i thought

but now i'm even more impressed - i thought the high detail renders were shots of the high res model! one ting i dont like about normal mapping is how obvious the silloette often stnds out (this is the case with many current gen games anyway, due to the lowish polycounts, thankfull that's set to change very shortly), but you've done a great job in preventing that with this model, even on close inspection it's hard to tell that it's not a highres model, very nice.

Submitted by Morphine on Tue, 20/09/05 - 3:48 AM Permalink

Love the work so far, keep it up, its looking fantastic!
Bears a striking resemblence to my mother ... :D

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 20/09/05 - 11:06 AM Permalink

Looking great Pat. [:)]

Come on Livewire, the silhoutte is geberally only noticable in screen grabs, an animated model will be drawing your eyes focus elsewhere, especially if the normal maps are intricate.

Just look at Doom 3, models are blocky as all hell and in a static shot they look it but in the middle of the game you stop noticing it because of the animation, lighting and atmosphere etc.

Picky, picky. [:P]

Submitted by denz on Tue, 20/09/05 - 9:47 PM Permalink

cool nice work delmo:) really like this guy.

one thing that bothers me is that head on his shoulder, is that a skull? looks all lumpy.

Submitted by Djenx on Tue, 20/09/05 - 9:49 PM Permalink

Great model Delmo.

can't wait to see the textured version.

Posted by Delmo on

Hey everyone, just something I've been working on throughout the week. I'm planning on creating the character naked and will later be creating seperate armour peice which I will attach. The character will have muliple 2048 diffuse, specular, and normal maps textures with a poly count up to 20 000 tris including all armour and weapon. I will also be animating it and will add some cloth simulation. The aim is to create a film quality character that might be seen in the future video games as technology progresses. So far just modeling the low poly naked model, nearly done. The concept is by Herman Ng. C & C are welcome as always. :)

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/delmo/2005785413_HellionWIP01.JP…]

Submitted by denz on Sat, 09/07/05 - 8:04 PM Permalink

great work delmo.

nothing to crit realy.

Submitted by popawheelie on Sat, 09/07/05 - 8:44 PM Permalink

Great work Delmo! Are u using zbrush 2 for the normal map? The model would really be brought to life with veins and ripples in the muscle from the normal map. Also u can sink the skin around the vertebrae to have bones stick out etc. Awesome model.
pop

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 09/07/05 - 10:12 PM Permalink

fantastic work as always mate, i realy like the definition on the arms and sholders. can we see the concept?

also i think he would look really cool with spikes, or something [:D] (yes, my comment dosn't really offer much does it)

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 10/07/05 - 2:55 AM Permalink

awesome Delmo!
The muscle structure around the knee looks a little odd, but that might look better when smoooooooothed.
The feet look a bit plain but nothing major.
Looking forward to seeing more of this :)

Submitted by LiveWire on Sun, 10/07/05 - 3:18 AM Permalink

ahh a new website layout too (so your forgiven for linking through/pimping your site rather than directing straight to the image [:)])

as for the concept - i was right! it does look cool with spikes or something! (i.e. the armour)

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Sun, 10/07/05 - 6:20 AM Permalink

quote:ahh a new website layout too (so your forgiven for linking through/pimping your site rather than directing straight to the image )

Heh, I had to sneak it in somewhere ;)

Now that I look at the guy, the feet seem like the need to be raised so that he walks on the ball of his foot. Sort of like a a T-rex. The feet need a bit more tweaking, as the concept's foot isn't really as triangular as it is on the model.

Submitted by Delmo on Tue, 12/07/05 - 7:54 AM Permalink

denz: Thanks mate.

popawheelie: Cheers budheh, I will most definitely be using zbrush for the high poly source model due to the organic shapes.

LiveWire: Hey man, yeah he has some mean spikes on his armour.

Anuxinamoon: The feet were just blocked out at that stage. I tryed the T-rex type feet and looked strange.

Anyway, here's the final stage of the mesh.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/delmo/200571175114_HellionWires…]

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Tue, 12/07/05 - 1:10 PM Permalink

oh yeah those feet look heaps better. :) Good work!

Will you be texturing him naked and then putting amour on top or are you gonna try to make it all one mesh type thing?

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 13/07/05 - 8:42 AM Permalink

Looking cool Pat, i think the feet still need work, give them a more natural shape as they still seem too flat.

Give them arches too.

Submitted by MarkMash on Fri, 15/07/05 - 11:50 AM Permalink

looks great.

I agree with the feet comment, they look a little sharp on the side edge.

Great work!

Submitted by popawheelie on Sun, 17/07/05 - 10:07 PM Permalink

looking really nice, good clean model. One thing that stands out, and im being alittle over the top, is the polys around the middle of the back, the polys lose flow. Shouldn't this area look similiar to the base of the spine, in regards to the topology.
I agree with the other posters that the feet look alittle flat (maybe the need a to slope off more at the edges, but on the other hand, he's a big mother and they usually have bigass flat feet. Not to mention veins and tendons in zbrush running across the top of the feet as they are now, would make it look more natural.(but im sure u know that.)
keep up the good work!
pop

Submitted by Delmo on Thu, 21/07/05 - 3:38 AM Permalink

Anuxinamoon: I think I'll texture the naked mesh first and then start building the armour on top.

Malus: I've worked on the feet a bit more gave it more of a feet shape from the bottom view and gave it an arch.

MarkMash: Thanks.

unknowncity555: oops, sorry forgot to answer your question on the last post. I'm using 3ds max for the low poly and zbrush for the high poly source model.

Pop: Yeah true I noticed that too might cut some polys out of there.

Thanks for the comments. I will update with renders of the finished high when I'm done.

Submitted by 3DArty on Fri, 26/08/05 - 7:35 PM Permalink

Nice work as allways It's going to look grate with the texture on it when it's done.

Top Job :)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 27/08/05 - 12:44 AM Permalink

thats all kinds of cool, allthough the nipples seem allmost non existant at this stage...

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Sat, 27/08/05 - 3:53 AM Permalink

quote:why doesn't anyone model the wang these days.

Dunno I think its a guy thing....

Submitted by Delmo on Sat, 17/09/05 - 7:48 AM Permalink

Hey all, sorry havn't posted much I've been alittle ill. Im getting close to the texture stage now, about 95 percent completed the modeling. Still need to do some polishing up and his weapon.

3DArty: Yeah, I hope I really improve on this texture job. I'm planning to hand paint majority of it so we will have to see what happens.

Wizenedoldman: Thanks budheh!

MoonUnit: yeah thats true. I'll change it when I go through and start polishing.

Sorceror Bob: I havn't modelled a wang since it's game art. If I was creating a statue or doing a whole anatomical study I probably would model in genetelia.

Anuxinamoon: I'm not sure if that's nessasry true, just depends on the purpose of the model.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/delmo/200591671652_HellionNormal…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/delmo/200591671754_HellionNormal…"[/img]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/delmo/20059167195_Wires01.jpg[/i…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/delmo/200591672037_Wires02.jpg[/…]

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 19/09/05 - 7:19 PM Permalink

is the armour made up of seperate elements (it looks like it), or is it mostly attached to the mesh? i ask becuase the high-res model looks like one solid mesh, and i was wondering how that works for the normal map when some parts of the low res model, such as the body, are below others, such as the armour. i would have thought you normal map each part seperatly, doing it all as one works does it?

Submitted by Delmo on Tue, 20/09/05 - 2:00 AM Permalink

Codyalday: Thanks for the kind words bud.

LiveWire: Yeah your right, the armour parts are seperate elements. The model you see there is the normal mapped version. I've rendered the normal maps as I've progressed so I can get an idea of where I'm heading. Rendering out normals for a character in one shot will result to messy normals without using a cage. I find the best way for me is to render out the normals in seperate objects.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 20/09/05 - 2:53 AM Permalink

Livewire: You can render it all in one hit as well - and it does work, you just need greater control of the cage and ultimately more cleaning up in photoshop - which can get pretty tedious and time consuming. So like Pat, I choose seperate elements also, you can have alot more control over each piece with a simpler cage, and far less cleanup time.

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 20/09/05 - 3:03 AM Permalink

cool, that's what i thought

but now i'm even more impressed - i thought the high detail renders were shots of the high res model! one ting i dont like about normal mapping is how obvious the silloette often stnds out (this is the case with many current gen games anyway, due to the lowish polycounts, thankfull that's set to change very shortly), but you've done a great job in preventing that with this model, even on close inspection it's hard to tell that it's not a highres model, very nice.

Submitted by Morphine on Tue, 20/09/05 - 3:48 AM Permalink

Love the work so far, keep it up, its looking fantastic!
Bears a striking resemblence to my mother ... :D

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 20/09/05 - 11:06 AM Permalink

Looking great Pat. [:)]

Come on Livewire, the silhoutte is geberally only noticable in screen grabs, an animated model will be drawing your eyes focus elsewhere, especially if the normal maps are intricate.

Just look at Doom 3, models are blocky as all hell and in a static shot they look it but in the middle of the game you stop noticing it because of the animation, lighting and atmosphere etc.

Picky, picky. [:P]

Submitted by denz on Tue, 20/09/05 - 9:47 PM Permalink

cool nice work delmo:) really like this guy.

one thing that bothers me is that head on his shoulder, is that a skull? looks all lumpy.

Submitted by Djenx on Tue, 20/09/05 - 9:49 PM Permalink

Great model Delmo.

can't wait to see the textured version.