Skip to main content

You think you like games?

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

... then take a look at this page... [:0]

[url="http://www.nescapades.com/gameroom.htm"]A game room to shame all game rooms[/url].

I see a C64 there too. Good show. [:)]

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 09/04/05 - 9:44 AM Permalink

ok, that's awsome!

although you'd think if "Gibby" can afford all that then he could afford a bigger TV!

and wait a sec... are all those systems plugged into the one TV??? i used to get worried about running my nes and snes through the a single tv at the same time! cripes!

Submitted by Jason on Sat, 09/04/05 - 2:54 PM Permalink

Oh my gosh. I want that "The Wizard" poster.

Best movie ever.

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 10/04/05 - 12:58 AM Permalink

Wow, that?s so cool (not The Wizard though :P)! That?s the kind of thing I always dreamed of owning when I was a kid. Except with a much larger TV.

I must admit I can?t identify all of those consoles. Sega Saturn? NeoGeo? Sega MegaCD? Anyone recognise them all?

Submitted by LiveWire on Sun, 10/04/05 - 3:32 AM Permalink

best movie ever eh? right o then.... (though i must admit it probably is the best game related movie of the lot)

Submitted by Kane on Sun, 10/04/05 - 11:50 PM Permalink

Freakin hell man...check out all those games! [:0]

I'm hoping to do something similar to this one day...when I have lots of money...

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 11/04/05 - 1:17 AM Permalink

First thing I?ll do when I win the lotto!

Damn rich kid, I bet he hasn?t even played all of them?
*me jealous*

Submitted by Gazunta on Mon, 11/04/05 - 9:54 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by palantir
I must admit I can?t identify all of those consoles. Sega Saturn? NeoGeo? Sega MegaCD? Anyone recognise them all?

From top to bottom, left to right...

1: NES, C64, Atari 7800 (could be a 2600, but doubtful)
2: ??? (PROBABLY a Coleco Adam...), Sega Master System, ??? (Intellivision I think)
3: Atari 400 / 800 (or a MSX??), Atari Jaguar, Mega Drive 2 + Mega CD 2
4: SNES, Nintendo 64, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Neo Geo
5: Xbox, Game Cube, ??? (Coleco?), ??? (Phillips CD-I?)

Damn, I should know this more...stupid home monitor...I'll try again tomorrow when I can see it better :)

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 11/04/05 - 6:15 PM Permalink

Nice work! You did better then me - I've never even heard of an Atari Jaguar or Phillips CD-I :(

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 11/04/05 - 11:05 PM Permalink

wow oh wow, the shots of the shelves just filled with games is what get me. i never really have more then 20 console games in my possesion as i usually sell the old ones so i can afford the new ones! thats just crazy

Submitted by panzer on Wed, 13/04/05 - 4:06 AM Permalink

That is insane! I hope they are insured cause it's priceless.

Submitted by Bunny on Wed, 13/04/05 - 6:19 AM Permalink

The bottom right I think is the Neo Geo with the arcade cartridge format but I'm not sure, haven't seen one in years. Left of that I'm fairly certain is a Colecovision. The C64 is an old model, possibly even a VIC 20. The Atari at top right is definitely a 7800, the 2600 had a wood finish. Otherwise I'm in agreement with Gazunta. I'm gonna be like this in my old age - I can't bear to part with any of my consoles or games, even my poor Saturn with the busted controller.

Did anyone catch the Virtualboy in the Playstation cabinet? :D

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 13/04/05 - 9:33 AM Permalink

I get the feeling this guy is more of a collector than a gamer, do you think he has actually played even close to half those games, let alone finished or enjoyed them? What scares me is the way he has SPECTRALLY ORGANISED his games into a rainbow fashion, he seems more enamoured with how they look on the shelf than as to how they play.

Why would anyone want a Jaguar or Virtual Boy?

Submitted by panzer on Wed, 13/04/05 - 8:22 PM Permalink

my guess he works or own a game shop or knows someone who owns one. Otherwise why would someone get the jag or VB.
I have a saturn too. I wonder if it still works.

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 13/04/05 - 10:38 PM Permalink

It doesn't take a collector to organise games in such a fashion, just someone with obviously too much time on their hands who are also slightly pedantic and possibly obsessive compulsive.

And why can't have they finished all the games, play one per weekend, you'd finish around 52 per year. Add in that holiday time and weekday time if you're some sort of student and you'd probably be able to polish off a good 100 games a year easily. Hand helds you could also play while on the bus, being driven in a car and numerous other places.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 13/04/05 - 11:20 PM Permalink

Hey Daemin, I think collectors by their very nature are pedantic and obsessive compulsive people. Collectors tend to organise and display their collections in all sorts of festidious arrays, it's part and parcel of their hobby.

Sure it's possible he's played them, but do you really think he would do that? I'm not saying he doesn't enjoy playing games, but was pointing out that he probably enjoys collecting them more than he does playing them. I guess I see it that simply owning buckets and buckets of games is no indication to me of how much you enjoy playing them.

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 14/04/05 - 4:57 AM Permalink

It?s quite reasonable to assume that he?s more of a collector then a player. I know several people with massive games collection, and many of their games they have only played briefly once or twice. It?s quite easy to build a big collection when your working ? years ago I had a flat mate that used to buy 2 or 3 Playstation games a week, just buying them impulsively on his way home from work. Sure was good living with someone like that!

So I assume this guy just loves collecting games, but probably rairly finishes a game.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 14/04/05 - 5:04 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Daemin

And why can't have they finished all the games, play one per weekend, you'd finish around 52 per year. Add in that holiday time and weekday time if you're some sort of student and you'd probably be able to polish off a good 100 games a year easily. Hand helds you could also play while on the bus, being driven in a car and numerous other places.
He has [url="http://www.nescapades.com/stats.htm"]5,303 games[/url] [:0]

Also, you can see the list of consoles he has in his [url="http://www.nescapades.com/collections.htm"]collection here[/url].

Submitted by hyperswivel on Fri, 22/04/05 - 1:56 AM Permalink

Sometimes I think I'm more of a collector than a player. I at least 5 top Nintendo titles sitting there and I haven't even looked at them. I know if I begin, then I have to follow through and finish them and that will lead to me neglecting my girlfriend and thus my own needs.
As such, I find myself buying more and more multiplayer games, which is fine until I get beaten by someone who, until they met me, had never even held a controller in her life.
Makes me wonder what all those years of practice were for.

Posted by souri on
Forum

... then take a look at this page... [:0]

[url="http://www.nescapades.com/gameroom.htm"]A game room to shame all game rooms[/url].

I see a C64 there too. Good show. [:)]

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 09/04/05 - 9:44 AM Permalink

ok, that's awsome!

although you'd think if "Gibby" can afford all that then he could afford a bigger TV!

and wait a sec... are all those systems plugged into the one TV??? i used to get worried about running my nes and snes through the a single tv at the same time! cripes!

Submitted by Jason on Sat, 09/04/05 - 2:54 PM Permalink

Oh my gosh. I want that "The Wizard" poster.

Best movie ever.

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 10/04/05 - 12:58 AM Permalink

Wow, that?s so cool (not The Wizard though :P)! That?s the kind of thing I always dreamed of owning when I was a kid. Except with a much larger TV.

Submitted by LiveWire on Sun, 10/04/05 - 3:32 AM Permalink

best movie ever eh? right o then.... (though i must admit it probably is the best game related movie of the lot)

Submitted by Kane on Sun, 10/04/05 - 11:50 PM Permalink

Freakin hell man...check out all those games! [:0]

I'm hoping to do something similar to this one day...when I have lots of money...

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 11/04/05 - 1:17 AM Permalink

First thing I?ll do when I win the lotto!

Damn rich kid, I bet he hasn?t even played all of them?
*me jealous*

Submitted by Gazunta on Mon, 11/04/05 - 9:54 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by palantir

From top to bottom, left to right...

1: NES, C64, Atari 7800 (could be a 2600, but doubtful)
2: ??? (PROBABLY a Coleco Adam...), Sega Master System, ??? (Intellivision I think)
3: Atari 400 / 800 (or a MSX??), Atari Jaguar, Mega Drive 2 + Mega CD 2
4: SNES, Nintendo 64, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Neo Geo
5: Xbox, Game Cube, ??? (Coleco?), ??? (Phillips CD-I?)

Damn, I should know this more...stupid home monitor...I'll try again tomorrow when I can see it better :)

Submitted by palantir on Mon, 11/04/05 - 6:15 PM Permalink

Nice work! You did better then me - I've never even heard of an Atari Jaguar or Phillips CD-I :(

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 11/04/05 - 11:05 PM Permalink

wow oh wow, the shots of the shelves just filled with games is what get me. i never really have more then 20 console games in my possesion as i usually sell the old ones so i can afford the new ones! thats just crazy

Submitted by panzer on Wed, 13/04/05 - 4:06 AM Permalink

That is insane! I hope they are insured cause it's priceless.

Submitted by Bunny on Wed, 13/04/05 - 6:19 AM Permalink

The bottom right I think is the Neo Geo with the arcade cartridge format but I'm not sure, haven't seen one in years. Left of that I'm fairly certain is a Colecovision. The C64 is an old model, possibly even a VIC 20. The Atari at top right is definitely a 7800, the 2600 had a wood finish. Otherwise I'm in agreement with Gazunta. I'm gonna be like this in my old age - I can't bear to part with any of my consoles or games, even my poor Saturn with the busted controller.

Did anyone catch the Virtualboy in the Playstation cabinet? :D

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 13/04/05 - 9:33 AM Permalink

I get the feeling this guy is more of a collector than a gamer, do you think he has actually played even close to half those games, let alone finished or enjoyed them? What scares me is the way he has SPECTRALLY ORGANISED his games into a rainbow fashion, he seems more enamoured with how they look on the shelf than as to how they play.

Why would anyone want a Jaguar or Virtual Boy?

Submitted by panzer on Wed, 13/04/05 - 8:22 PM Permalink

my guess he works or own a game shop or knows someone who owns one. Otherwise why would someone get the jag or VB.
I have a saturn too. I wonder if it still works.

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 13/04/05 - 10:38 PM Permalink

It doesn't take a collector to organise games in such a fashion, just someone with obviously too much time on their hands who are also slightly pedantic and possibly obsessive compulsive.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 13/04/05 - 11:20 PM Permalink

Hey Daemin, I think collectors by their very nature are pedantic and obsessive compulsive people. Collectors tend to organise and display their collections in all sorts of festidious arrays, it's part and parcel of their hobby.

Sure it's possible he's played them, but do you really think he would do that? I'm not saying he doesn't enjoy playing games, but was pointing out that he probably enjoys collecting them more than he does playing them. I guess I see it that simply owning buckets and buckets of games is no indication to me of how much you enjoy playing them.

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 14/04/05 - 4:57 AM Permalink

It?s quite reasonable to assume that he?s more of a collector then a player. I know several people with massive games collection, and many of their games they have only played briefly once or twice. It?s quite easy to build a big collection when your working ? years ago I had a flat mate that used to buy 2 or 3 Playstation games a week, just buying them impulsively on his way home from work. Sure was good living with someone like that!

So I assume this guy just loves collecting games, but probably rairly finishes a game.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 14/04/05 - 5:04 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Daemin

He has [url="http://www.nescapades.com/stats.htm"]5,303 games[/url] [:0]

Also, you can see the list of consoles he has in his [url="http://www.nescapades.com/collections.htm"]collection here[/url].

Submitted by hyperswivel on Fri, 22/04/05 - 1:56 AM Permalink

Sometimes I think I'm more of a collector than a player. I at least 5 top Nintendo titles sitting there and I haven't even looked at them. I know if I begin, then I have to follow through and finish them and that will lead to me neglecting my girlfriend and thus my own needs.
As such, I find myself buying more and more multiplayer games, which is fine until I get beaten by someone who, until they met me, had never even held a controller in her life.
Makes me wonder what all those years of practice were for.