Skip to main content

WIP: Thunderdome VII

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

This has been mentioned in another thread, but Happy Camper and myself are locked in a furious battle flexing our 2D artistical muscles.

Here is the thread on ConceptArt.org
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php's=&threadid=15180

Here is a WIP for the painting of the front pose for my character.

[img]http://home.netspeed.com.au/mlanham/TD7/Ariana_FrontPainting_01.jpg[/img]

Painted in Painter8. I have been working on this since lunch today. I would greatly appreciate any feedback at all :)

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 09/01/04 - 11:40 AM Permalink

Nice colouring and tone so far, but either her eyes are too close together or her head is too wide. Check the distance from the edges of her eyes to the sides of her head...

Also - either her head is too wide or her neck is too thin. So far it doesn't look like the head and the neck are joined properly.

Still pretty good so far, tho'.

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 10/01/04 - 3:25 AM Permalink

Yeah, looking good Aven :)
Her neck is a tad bit thin, maybe some more dramatic lighting? although thats a personal thing.
REally like the hair and there is a nice softness about her.
What brushes did you use? loaded pallete knife?

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 10/01/04 - 10:57 AM Permalink

Thank you both for the help and comments :)

Jonothan - I will scale her face up a little to fill up her head a bit more. That will also help with her chin (which I think is too large at the moment). I will also thicken her right side of the neck, and psoibly drape some more hair over it. I will have to see what works.

Makk - I don't really want dramatic lighting with harsh shadows as it is meant to be a concept art comp. I am aiming to show the colours of her and her clothing. This means more simple studio lighting. Even soft light with one light from the front to show some shadows and highlights for realism sake. For the major piece I will try to have more dramitic lighting :) I am still just using the Loaded Pallete Knife. I don't know why, but I just really love that er... brush. I read this tute http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/lunatique/mood/mood1.asp and gave it a try. It just feels more comfortable than the other acrylic and oil brushes. I have only been using three different radius with it so far. 10,5 and 2.

I don't know how much I will get done over the weekend as I am working, but I will keep on posting updates for advice. Thank you again :)

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 15/01/04 - 10:33 AM Permalink

Okay. Update for today. I have to admit that I was unable to get as much done as I wanted to :/ I am still trying to get used to painting creases and folds in clothing. It is just so much easier with line art :)

[img]http://home.netspeed.com.au/mlanham/td7/ariana_frontpainting_02.jpg[/img]

I'm currently working my way down her dress. Starting rough and adding in detail as it looks good. Her skin and dress are too dark at the moment, but they will be fixed up once I paint a wash of white over top to make her transparent dress.

Jonathan, I tried to make her face larger, but it just looked shit. I would rather go for what looks nice instead of what is physically correct (anyway, just look at her legs :P).

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 18/01/04 - 9:54 AM Permalink

Looking good, cloth is something that I really, really, really struggle with, its my weakest area. You have done it quite well.
Maybe add some light decorations that you see on clothes, that sort of stiched design, usally flowers and stuff, gah! I cant explain it!! buts its only very faint, so you cant really see it unless you close up.
Have you tried adding in some cool/warm colours into her flesh tones?
Coming along nicely :)

Submitted by adie on Wed, 21/01/04 - 8:52 AM Permalink

wow u thought my pigman was freeky..eww she horrid..he he jut jokeing ,, her face needs more tone dosent match her neck,dosent have enuff depth.. I like what u'v fone with the proportions . i like the long neck look

Posted by Anonymous (not verified) on

This has been mentioned in another thread, but Happy Camper and myself are locked in a furious battle flexing our 2D artistical muscles.

Here is the thread on ConceptArt.org
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php's=&threadid=15180

Here is a WIP for the painting of the front pose for my character.

[img]http://home.netspeed.com.au/mlanham/TD7/Ariana_FrontPainting_01.jpg[/img]

Painted in Painter8. I have been working on this since lunch today. I would greatly appreciate any feedback at all :)

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 09/01/04 - 11:40 AM Permalink

Nice colouring and tone so far, but either her eyes are too close together or her head is too wide. Check the distance from the edges of her eyes to the sides of her head...

Also - either her head is too wide or her neck is too thin. So far it doesn't look like the head and the neck are joined properly.

Still pretty good so far, tho'.

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 10/01/04 - 3:25 AM Permalink

Yeah, looking good Aven :)
Her neck is a tad bit thin, maybe some more dramatic lighting? although thats a personal thing.
REally like the hair and there is a nice softness about her.
What brushes did you use? loaded pallete knife?

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 10/01/04 - 10:57 AM Permalink

Thank you both for the help and comments :)

Jonothan - I will scale her face up a little to fill up her head a bit more. That will also help with her chin (which I think is too large at the moment). I will also thicken her right side of the neck, and psoibly drape some more hair over it. I will have to see what works.

Makk - I don't really want dramatic lighting with harsh shadows as it is meant to be a concept art comp. I am aiming to show the colours of her and her clothing. This means more simple studio lighting. Even soft light with one light from the front to show some shadows and highlights for realism sake. For the major piece I will try to have more dramitic lighting :) I am still just using the Loaded Pallete Knife. I don't know why, but I just really love that er... brush. I read this tute http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/lunatique/mood/mood1.asp and gave it a try. It just feels more comfortable than the other acrylic and oil brushes. I have only been using three different radius with it so far. 10,5 and 2.

I don't know how much I will get done over the weekend as I am working, but I will keep on posting updates for advice. Thank you again :)

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 15/01/04 - 10:33 AM Permalink

Okay. Update for today. I have to admit that I was unable to get as much done as I wanted to :/ I am still trying to get used to painting creases and folds in clothing. It is just so much easier with line art :)

[img]http://home.netspeed.com.au/mlanham/td7/ariana_frontpainting_02.jpg[/img]

I'm currently working my way down her dress. Starting rough and adding in detail as it looks good. Her skin and dress are too dark at the moment, but they will be fixed up once I paint a wash of white over top to make her transparent dress.

Jonathan, I tried to make her face larger, but it just looked shit. I would rather go for what looks nice instead of what is physically correct (anyway, just look at her legs :P).

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 18/01/04 - 9:54 AM Permalink

Looking good, cloth is something that I really, really, really struggle with, its my weakest area. You have done it quite well.
Maybe add some light decorations that you see on clothes, that sort of stiched design, usally flowers and stuff, gah! I cant explain it!! buts its only very faint, so you cant really see it unless you close up.
Have you tried adding in some cool/warm colours into her flesh tones?
Coming along nicely :)

Submitted by adie on Wed, 21/01/04 - 8:52 AM Permalink

wow u thought my pigman was freeky..eww she horrid..he he jut jokeing ,, her face needs more tone dosent match her neck,dosent have enuff depth.. I like what u'v fone with the proportions . i like the long neck look