Skip to main content

WIP- Foreign Legion deserter-pls crit/comment

Hey all, Started a new model. Thought I'd put it up for have a look at, comment/crit and all that good stuff. It's for my demo reel i'm putting together, so i need it to be tight.

Concept.

The model is of a foreign legion deserter, during the later half of WW2. Why is he deserting? To get back to his loved ones I suppose... He was stationed in Africa, and now hes making his way thru the desert, dodging his old comrades and other desert nasties. Hes taken on my of a nomad look for dusguise purposes.

This model has been quite difficult, the modelling itself has been pretty straight forward, but the references have been hard to get a hold of.(my local library sucks and the universities wasn't much better.) I like to research, particulary these type of characters, and my aim to get things historically correct. i don't know why im such a stickler for it, just like to model that way. I've tried making it up or adding additions i see fit, and it bugs the hell outer me when i see something that I have modeled that wasnt in use at the time. Anyways enuf ranting.

I'm sticking to a poly count of 5k tris. (for the character, weapons separate)I'm aiming for the middle ground of todays tech and next gen. For the textures i was going for a 512, then i thought &^%* it, i'll do a 1024. I can always reduce the size. Im goin to add an alpha as well, for giggles.

wire- the head/face looks long because its hard to make the smaller details out of the african turban.
**useless info** I originally modelled a turban from indiana jones, raiders of the lost ark, the scene when hes in the map room.(had a good reference from some Indy fan boys.) Then i found out thats its an egyptian style (very similar), it looked ok, but it bugged me, so i remoddled it, african desert style. ( i know..im nutty)
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/popawheelie/200577115713_frontwi…]

The pants/hands arent joined as yet, and for some reason i forgot to add the water bottles/pouches/holster in the render. The gear makes the model complete, without gear hes pretty plain. Also his eyes aren't bug like from the desert sun, hes wearing goggles.
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/popawheelie/200577115851_pers_re…]

I modelled his weapon and his horse aswell, ill post it up soon. I was thinkin camel, but the foreign legion had horses during their calvery days.(ww2 is a little late for horses, so maybe he stole/traded it from a nomad.) , and horses are cooler than camels. (but then theres motorbikes...pfft not stealthy enuf.)

Anyways crit/comment, go to town on it. Im about 6 hours into the moddling, so theres maybe small mistakes.

ps. sorry for the rambling.

pop

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 08/07/05 - 12:52 PM Permalink

Hi pop,

Interesting choice of character - good progress so far.

First thing that jumps out to me is the length of his arms - elbows while relaxed at the side should be just sitting above hips and the hand should be about a hand / hand and half below the groin.
Im making judgement based on where his hips appear to be on the model.

Other thing is you want to clean up those deformation areas, some strange construction going on around the knees. if you plan on animating or posing him at all that is.

A rule I always try to think about is that low polygon modelling is all about the silhouette. Whack a jet black material on your model and set it up to spin a 360 - if you have verts and exta polygons that arent doing absolutely anything for the silhouette then most likely you can cull them off and tighten your budget up. This is also a good way to check out whether there are any areas on your model that look more jagged than others - and smooth them off.

With a 5000 tri budget you should be able to achieve a pretty smooth mesh while viewing from any distance [:)] Hope that Helps.

Submitted by popawheelie on Sun, 17/07/05 - 10:17 PM Permalink

Sorry I haven't posted up some updates, been modelling some things for a game we are making at school. Nothing pretty, just test models for programmers. (normal mapped rocks and such.)

Anyways Ill post up some of the progress i have made on this model. I revamped the whole model and thru it in zbrush2, then normal mapped it. BUT, now the base model doenst really need 5k in tri's. It could actually be closer to 3k or a bit less. Anyways enuf ranting, ill post up some work tonight, when i get back from work.
pop

Submitted by skripturez on Wed, 07/09/05 - 10:49 PM Permalink

where the hell are your updates wheelie popa???
looking pretty cool so far but im hanging to see dude textured.

Submitted by popawheelie on Thu, 15/09/05 - 10:56 AM Permalink

bah sorry, this model has been pushed back..died from boredem.
If i get the time ill post up some other stuff i've been workin on.

pop

Hey all, Started a new model. Thought I'd put it up for have a look at, comment/crit and all that good stuff. It's for my demo reel i'm putting together, so i need it to be tight.

Concept.

The model is of a foreign legion deserter, during the later half of WW2. Why is he deserting? To get back to his loved ones I suppose... He was stationed in Africa, and now hes making his way thru the desert, dodging his old comrades and other desert nasties. Hes taken on my of a nomad look for dusguise purposes.

This model has been quite difficult, the modelling itself has been pretty straight forward, but the references have been hard to get a hold of.(my local library sucks and the universities wasn't much better.) I like to research, particulary these type of characters, and my aim to get things historically correct. i don't know why im such a stickler for it, just like to model that way. I've tried making it up or adding additions i see fit, and it bugs the hell outer me when i see something that I have modeled that wasnt in use at the time. Anyways enuf ranting.

I'm sticking to a poly count of 5k tris. (for the character, weapons separate)I'm aiming for the middle ground of todays tech and next gen. For the textures i was going for a 512, then i thought &^%* it, i'll do a 1024. I can always reduce the size. Im goin to add an alpha as well, for giggles.

wire- the head/face looks long because its hard to make the smaller details out of the african turban.
**useless info** I originally modelled a turban from indiana jones, raiders of the lost ark, the scene when hes in the map room.(had a good reference from some Indy fan boys.) Then i found out thats its an egyptian style (very similar), it looked ok, but it bugged me, so i remoddled it, african desert style. ( i know..im nutty)
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/popawheelie/200577115713_frontwi…]

The pants/hands arent joined as yet, and for some reason i forgot to add the water bottles/pouches/holster in the render. The gear makes the model complete, without gear hes pretty plain. Also his eyes aren't bug like from the desert sun, hes wearing goggles.
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/popawheelie/200577115851_pers_re…]

I modelled his weapon and his horse aswell, ill post it up soon. I was thinkin camel, but the foreign legion had horses during their calvery days.(ww2 is a little late for horses, so maybe he stole/traded it from a nomad.) , and horses are cooler than camels. (but then theres motorbikes...pfft not stealthy enuf.)

Anyways crit/comment, go to town on it. Im about 6 hours into the moddling, so theres maybe small mistakes.

ps. sorry for the rambling.

pop

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 08/07/05 - 12:52 PM Permalink

Hi pop,

Interesting choice of character - good progress so far.

First thing that jumps out to me is the length of his arms - elbows while relaxed at the side should be just sitting above hips and the hand should be about a hand / hand and half below the groin.
Im making judgement based on where his hips appear to be on the model.

Other thing is you want to clean up those deformation areas, some strange construction going on around the knees. if you plan on animating or posing him at all that is.

A rule I always try to think about is that low polygon modelling is all about the silhouette. Whack a jet black material on your model and set it up to spin a 360 - if you have verts and exta polygons that arent doing absolutely anything for the silhouette then most likely you can cull them off and tighten your budget up. This is also a good way to check out whether there are any areas on your model that look more jagged than others - and smooth them off.

With a 5000 tri budget you should be able to achieve a pretty smooth mesh while viewing from any distance [:)] Hope that Helps.

Submitted by popawheelie on Sun, 17/07/05 - 10:17 PM Permalink

Sorry I haven't posted up some updates, been modelling some things for a game we are making at school. Nothing pretty, just test models for programmers. (normal mapped rocks and such.)

Anyways Ill post up some of the progress i have made on this model. I revamped the whole model and thru it in zbrush2, then normal mapped it. BUT, now the base model doenst really need 5k in tri's. It could actually be closer to 3k or a bit less. Anyways enuf ranting, ill post up some work tonight, when i get back from work.
pop

Submitted by skripturez on Wed, 07/09/05 - 10:49 PM Permalink

where the hell are your updates wheelie popa???
looking pretty cool so far but im hanging to see dude textured.

Submitted by popawheelie on Thu, 15/09/05 - 10:56 AM Permalink

bah sorry, this model has been pushed back..died from boredem.
If i get the time ill post up some other stuff i've been workin on.

pop