Skip to main content

poly counter ......WTF?

Submitted by Octane on
Forum

ok in max's editable poly when you do a summary/polycount tool it's wrong (well i think it is).... course if you colaspe the stack to an editable mesh the poly count is much higher[?]

is their a way to get around this so i don't loose my history/info like my instence mirror if there is could you point me in the right direction.

sorry if this has been done before but i'm wearing my Newbie badge [:)]
thanks

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 08/02/05 - 7:26 AM Permalink

When your modelling in Edit Poly Mode, Whack an 'STL check' modifier on your stack then hit the '7' key. That will give you a Triangle count ( which is all you should be worried about when building stuff for games )

I like to have an STL check on there anyway it helps to spot open edges, and dodgy left over verts etc.

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 08/02/05 - 7:30 AM Permalink

this seems to get a lot of people starting out in max.

the poly counter shows the right info all the time - the difference in edit poly it will count polys (polygons of any amount of sides) where as in edit mesh it will count tris. so the result you get from an edit mesh poly count is the "real" ammount.

i just convert it to an edit mesh, check the count (7 key), then undo. otherwise you could put an edit mesh modifier om top of your stack and still work in edit poly below.

Submitted by denz on Tue, 08/02/05 - 7:51 AM Permalink

or get your hands on max7 :)

the polycounter has a triangle option.

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 08/02/05 - 8:25 AM Permalink

Or better yet, just download Juan Martinez?s popular polycounter script from [url]http://www.juantwo.com/scripts/Macro_PolyCounter.zip[/url]
It's also on scriptspot (well worth checking out).

It sits on the interface and displays the triangle face count on Editable Poly and Editable Mesh objects. You can select multiple objects at once, and it works in Sub-Object mode.

Submitted by Octane on Tue, 08/02/05 - 9:50 AM Permalink

Even better thanks palantir, sweet site to now all need to do is learn to understand what they all do [^] << well the ones i need anyhow..

again thanks guys

Posted by Octane on
Forum

ok in max's editable poly when you do a summary/polycount tool it's wrong (well i think it is).... course if you colaspe the stack to an editable mesh the poly count is much higher[?]

is their a way to get around this so i don't loose my history/info like my instence mirror if there is could you point me in the right direction.

sorry if this has been done before but i'm wearing my Newbie badge [:)]
thanks

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 08/02/05 - 7:26 AM Permalink

When your modelling in Edit Poly Mode, Whack an 'STL check' modifier on your stack then hit the '7' key. That will give you a Triangle count ( which is all you should be worried about when building stuff for games )

I like to have an STL check on there anyway it helps to spot open edges, and dodgy left over verts etc.

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 08/02/05 - 7:30 AM Permalink

this seems to get a lot of people starting out in max.

the poly counter shows the right info all the time - the difference in edit poly it will count polys (polygons of any amount of sides) where as in edit mesh it will count tris. so the result you get from an edit mesh poly count is the "real" ammount.

i just convert it to an edit mesh, check the count (7 key), then undo. otherwise you could put an edit mesh modifier om top of your stack and still work in edit poly below.

Submitted by denz on Tue, 08/02/05 - 7:51 AM Permalink

or get your hands on max7 :)

the polycounter has a triangle option.

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 08/02/05 - 8:25 AM Permalink

Or better yet, just download Juan Martinez?s popular polycounter script from [url]http://www.juantwo.com/scripts/Macro_PolyCounter.zip[/url]
It's also on scriptspot (well worth checking out).

It sits on the interface and displays the triangle face count on Editable Poly and Editable Mesh objects. You can select multiple objects at once, and it works in Sub-Object mode.

Submitted by Octane on Tue, 08/02/05 - 9:50 AM Permalink

Even better thanks palantir, sweet site to now all need to do is learn to understand what they all do [^] << well the ones i need anyhow..

again thanks guys