Skip to main content

Interesting game development resource site

Forum

This is an unusual game development concept, but has the potential to do really well. Essentially you sign up (with a legal agreement), and contribute game resources to the group, then you're allowed to use any of the resources in your game (with appropriate credits).

http://www.gamebeavers.org

What do people reckon - think this is a good model, or are there too many flaws in it for you?

Cheers,

Mark/CW

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 08/01/04 - 8:01 AM Permalink

I haven't really looked at the site much, but i think my biggest concern would be the quality of the assets that are contributed. I don't know what sort of checks (if any?) etc. they have to remedy this? Obviously you could just not use assets that are crap, but then what is the point of those assets being there!
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by codyalday on Fri, 09/01/04 - 7:05 AM Permalink

Blizt do you use BLizt Basic, the program, as in your name Blitz?

Submitted by souri on Fri, 09/01/04 - 9:34 AM Permalink

What's the incentive for people to contribute (is getting credit enough)? Content takes time to make, especially decent stuff. [:)] What's to stop people from joining and just taking and not giving? And I kinda feel that once there are some decent models up, it's just going to appear in every game development project that takes part in that idea.
It's a noble idea, but it'll depend on people's generosity and willingness to share if it's to be a success..

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 09/01/04 - 10:32 AM Permalink

codyalday:
No, it's derived from blitzkrieg. Blitz is the name i've used when playing games since i started playing 15 odd years ago :P (although in those days it usually had to be shortend to BLI or BLZ :P)

Souri: The incentive to contribute is to get access to the resources that others have contributed. What stops people from joining and not contributing is that you ave to contribute at least 2 assets before you are allowed to join.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 09/01/04 - 11:20 AM Permalink

Well, what goes around comes around - so I'm a believer that if you can contribute greatly to a cause, then you will reap what you sow.

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 12/01/04 - 10:31 PM Permalink

Im not sure what it is, but that site seems to be not exactly right and it kind of seems to me almost like a bad resource site that scams or something.

Im not sure but it just doesnt seem stable looking too me.

Submitted by redwyre on Tue, 13/01/04 - 6:25 AM Permalink

Seems they have a thing going with GarageGames... And the GG community was quite good, lots of sharing high quality assets.

Forum

This is an unusual game development concept, but has the potential to do really well. Essentially you sign up (with a legal agreement), and contribute game resources to the group, then you're allowed to use any of the resources in your game (with appropriate credits).

http://www.gamebeavers.org

What do people reckon - think this is a good model, or are there too many flaws in it for you?

Cheers,

Mark/CW

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 08/01/04 - 8:01 AM Permalink

I haven't really looked at the site much, but i think my biggest concern would be the quality of the assets that are contributed. I don't know what sort of checks (if any?) etc. they have to remedy this? Obviously you could just not use assets that are crap, but then what is the point of those assets being there!
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by codyalday on Fri, 09/01/04 - 7:05 AM Permalink

Blizt do you use BLizt Basic, the program, as in your name Blitz?

Submitted by souri on Fri, 09/01/04 - 9:34 AM Permalink

What's the incentive for people to contribute (is getting credit enough)? Content takes time to make, especially decent stuff. [:)] What's to stop people from joining and just taking and not giving? And I kinda feel that once there are some decent models up, it's just going to appear in every game development project that takes part in that idea.
It's a noble idea, but it'll depend on people's generosity and willingness to share if it's to be a success..

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 09/01/04 - 10:32 AM Permalink

codyalday:
No, it's derived from blitzkrieg. Blitz is the name i've used when playing games since i started playing 15 odd years ago :P (although in those days it usually had to be shortend to BLI or BLZ :P)

Souri: The incentive to contribute is to get access to the resources that others have contributed. What stops people from joining and not contributing is that you ave to contribute at least 2 assets before you are allowed to join.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 09/01/04 - 11:20 AM Permalink

Well, what goes around comes around - so I'm a believer that if you can contribute greatly to a cause, then you will reap what you sow.

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 12/01/04 - 10:31 PM Permalink

Im not sure what it is, but that site seems to be not exactly right and it kind of seems to me almost like a bad resource site that scams or something.

Im not sure but it just doesnt seem stable looking too me.

Submitted by redwyre on Tue, 13/01/04 - 6:25 AM Permalink

Seems they have a thing going with GarageGames... And the GG community was quite good, lots of sharing high quality assets.