Skip to main content

Curious programmer

Submitted by Kane on
Forum

Hello everyone,

Here is a question for the artists...How exactly does a graphics pad ablet work? It may be a strange question, but I've never seen one in use.

Thanks [8)]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 07/10/03 - 7:58 PM Permalink

Its just a rectangle that senses the position and pressure of a ?pen?. So it looks like and acts like an artists drawing pad, but the lines etc come up on the screen so it can take a bit to get used to. A lot of artist use them as they are more natural (to an artist)and allow a greater freedom of stroke style then a mouse does.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Kane on Tue, 07/10/03 - 8:02 PM Permalink

ok...kool thanks

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 07/10/03 - 8:26 PM Permalink

..............and i dont have one. :(

Submitted by Happy Camper on Tue, 07/10/03 - 8:29 PM Permalink

Same here[xx(]. Oh well, it's my birthday soon and I'll probably get some crapy part time job 'till the end of the year. So it's really only a matter of time before I get one.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 14/10/03 - 3:22 AM Permalink

Ive never used one either!! anyone who has,.. is it really a "cant do without" type tool or do you think its more of a "if your good with a mouse dont bother" type tool ?

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 14/10/03 - 4:19 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by HazarD

Ive never used one either!! anyone who has,.. is it really a "cant do without" type tool or do you think its more of a "if your good with a mouse dont bother" type tool ?

You can live without one, but once you have gotten use to one you wont want to. They increase your speed and allow you to use a natural action in your brush strokes that is hard to replicate with a mouse. Plus pressure sensitive.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 14/10/03 - 4:33 AM Permalink

As Pantmonger said, the stylus pressure is a really nice thing to have, but the main reason why i use mine so much is due to the speed and comfort issues. Whenever i use a mouse for 2+ hours straight (i think that we all clock up far more than that ;) ), my wrist and... er... the pad of my hand start to become swollen and sore due to the constant rubbing against my desk. I do not have this problem with my wacom as my hand always floats an inch above my desk.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 14/10/03 - 7:57 AM Permalink

Once you go tablet...you'll never go back......

[:o)]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 14/10/03 - 8:34 AM Permalink

i've never seen a pressure sensitive mouse.. so yay wacom

Posted by Kane on
Forum

Hello everyone,

Here is a question for the artists...How exactly does a graphics pad ablet work? It may be a strange question, but I've never seen one in use.

Thanks [8)]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 07/10/03 - 7:58 PM Permalink

Its just a rectangle that senses the position and pressure of a ?pen?. So it looks like and acts like an artists drawing pad, but the lines etc come up on the screen so it can take a bit to get used to. A lot of artist use them as they are more natural (to an artist)and allow a greater freedom of stroke style then a mouse does.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Kane on Tue, 07/10/03 - 8:02 PM Permalink

ok...kool thanks

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 07/10/03 - 8:26 PM Permalink

..............and i dont have one. :(

Submitted by Happy Camper on Tue, 07/10/03 - 8:29 PM Permalink

Same here[xx(]. Oh well, it's my birthday soon and I'll probably get some crapy part time job 'till the end of the year. So it's really only a matter of time before I get one.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 14/10/03 - 3:22 AM Permalink

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 14/10/03 - 4:19 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by HazarD

You can live without one, but once you have gotten use to one you wont want to. They increase your speed and allow you to use a natural action in your brush strokes that is hard to replicate with a mouse. Plus pressure sensitive.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 14/10/03 - 4:33 AM Permalink

As Pantmonger said, the stylus pressure is a really nice thing to have, but the main reason why i use mine so much is due to the speed and comfort issues. Whenever i use a mouse for 2+ hours straight (i think that we all clock up far more than that ;) ), my wrist and... er... the pad of my hand start to become swollen and sore due to the constant rubbing against my desk. I do not have this problem with my wacom as my hand always floats an inch above my desk.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 14/10/03 - 7:57 AM Permalink

Once you go tablet...you'll never go back......

[:o)]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 14/10/03 - 8:34 AM Permalink

i've never seen a pressure sensitive mouse.. so yay wacom