Skip to main content

Programmer / Consultant Drag Racing Game

Submitted by melvosh on
Forum

Hiyas,
Didnt wanna put this under jobs because its not a real job as such.
But i am looking for a programmer or someone who has expierance in taking Suspension and Engine data of cars and applying them in game.
At this point even anyone that has an idea on how to go about it would be appreciated to hear from them although if there are any other drag racing buffs that can program would like to come on board it would be a bonus.
The game itself wont have top fuel dragsters and what not but is more a sportsman racer (like bethesda's Burnout from 1998) involving modified street cars on the 1/4 mile. I think this would be a little easier to handle the physics and what not needed to get a realistic feel to the game.
Currently its just me as an artist and a friend using his engine which is open source so anything can be added to it although it has newton physics already in it.
A little more about the engine can be found at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/matibee/MEng/

Currenttly working on getting a generic car base started and going from there.
Other than if anyone else is interested in making a drag racing game eg artists etc etc drop me a line.

Cheers
Adam

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 08/09/05 - 12:12 AM Permalink

while i don't have time for this project (sorry), the soft body deformations of car tyres is actualy of some interest to me as both a race fan and gamer.

in particular the shape of a drag racing wheel changes dramatically at different speed, and while a collidable/ friction aware soft bode code simulation might be overkill for your avaliable resources, a few 2d deformables 'band' crossectioning the wheel might be an acceptable and simple to implement solution for you..... sounds fun :)

best of luck

Submitted by melvosh on Fri, 09/09/05 - 4:22 AM Permalink

Hiya,
Im not a programmer myself but know a little...
Anyways yeh tire expansion in drag racing is an interesting thing as alot of the latest drag racing games feature it as such but from memory you dont actually feel the car raise like you do in real life. You can notice it alot more on the top fuel dragsters and what not but in a car like mine which i do drive even though the expansion is probably about 2 inches you do feel the effect while do a warm up burnout.
Would be interesting to implement for viewing and would be interesting to in fact make it have an effect on the suspension. I hope to have a fairly simple to use but realistic working suspenion in the game with changes actually being noticable in game un like some others.
I defiently will work on that one.
As for a 3d engine i was looking at http://www.kjapi.com anyone else played with it?
I was maybe thinking of using as my mates engine while quite advanced lacks features and this one is pretty complete with the same newton physics already implemented and alot of other features and tools too.

Thanks
Adam

Posted by melvosh on
Forum

Hiyas,
Didnt wanna put this under jobs because its not a real job as such.
But i am looking for a programmer or someone who has expierance in taking Suspension and Engine data of cars and applying them in game.
At this point even anyone that has an idea on how to go about it would be appreciated to hear from them although if there are any other drag racing buffs that can program would like to come on board it would be a bonus.
The game itself wont have top fuel dragsters and what not but is more a sportsman racer (like bethesda's Burnout from 1998) involving modified street cars on the 1/4 mile. I think this would be a little easier to handle the physics and what not needed to get a realistic feel to the game.
Currently its just me as an artist and a friend using his engine which is open source so anything can be added to it although it has newton physics already in it.
A little more about the engine can be found at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/matibee/MEng/

Currenttly working on getting a generic car base started and going from there.
Other than if anyone else is interested in making a drag racing game eg artists etc etc drop me a line.

Cheers
Adam

Submitted by davidcoen on Thu, 08/09/05 - 12:12 AM Permalink

while i don't have time for this project (sorry), the soft body deformations of car tyres is actualy of some interest to me as both a race fan and gamer.

in particular the shape of a drag racing wheel changes dramatically at different speed, and while a collidable/ friction aware soft bode code simulation might be overkill for your avaliable resources, a few 2d deformables 'band' crossectioning the wheel might be an acceptable and simple to implement solution for you..... sounds fun :)

best of luck

Submitted by melvosh on Fri, 09/09/05 - 4:22 AM Permalink

Hiya,
Im not a programmer myself but know a little...
Anyways yeh tire expansion in drag racing is an interesting thing as alot of the latest drag racing games feature it as such but from memory you dont actually feel the car raise like you do in real life. You can notice it alot more on the top fuel dragsters and what not but in a car like mine which i do drive even though the expansion is probably about 2 inches you do feel the effect while do a warm up burnout.
Would be interesting to implement for viewing and would be interesting to in fact make it have an effect on the suspension. I hope to have a fairly simple to use but realistic working suspenion in the game with changes actually being noticable in game un like some others.
I defiently will work on that one.
As for a 3d engine i was looking at http://www.kjapi.com anyone else played with it?
I was maybe thinking of using as my mates engine while quite advanced lacks features and this one is pretty complete with the same newton physics already implemented and alot of other features and tools too.

Thanks
Adam