Skip to main content

quad-mech concept sketch

• Testing a Microsoft Surface for digital art along with Krita. The latter is proving to be a very capable drawing/painting program. In some aspects equal to - if not better than - Photoshop! MS Surface is good but not as good as a wacom tablet.…

• I quick illustration depicting a true story (or so I am told) of a tank crew rescuing an australia soldier in the Vietnam war. Rough sketchy styling but required some research and accuracy as vetaran's seeing it would be critical. Painted in…

• A recent game interface job I completed for an Adelaide based iphone/mobile developer. Final graphics included animation on the handkerchief as the rope moves and animated icons on the menu screen. Graphics are all based on photos then heavily…

• It's not really directly game related but I thought I'd post it anyway (Let's pretend it's a character study). This is where my recent illustration energies had been going rather than into concept art related topics. Created for a charity Auction…

• Revisiting the first fleet of ships for Tsumea Team C project. One new design with the other 3 polished/modified small to moderate amounts. Whilst the details are still loose I'm satisfied with the overall designs. fingers crossed the rest of the…

• More thumbnails for Team C game. These are my first round of ships for the opposing team. More angular and blocky in form with a relatively raw/industrial finish compaired to the other set.

• More thumbnails. These ones are variations working a single design idea.

• update of potential artillery/ planet attack ship.

• A small update on concept art for Team C project.

• Some initial sketches whilst I warm up for the task of producing some concepts for tsumea's team C project.

Submitted by Johnn on

Recent sketching has lead to quadruped vehicles (machinery is a topic that I have not had a lot of practice with.) I am also experimenting with colouring techniques > Aiming for a fast technique that helps to describe the forms/volumes, and matches my sketchy pencil work.

I would appreciate feedback/crit's on all aspects of the sketch.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_quad-mechL.jpg[/img]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 07/01/04 - 11:59 PM Permalink

looks pretty sweet, i designed a similar mech once (four legs, flat sphere-ish thing body)

offering some crit..... ok im assuming the mechs purpose is for fighting, where is its weapons?
also the legs would provide the driver with pretty much tunnel vision as they are

but thats just if you want to nit pick, really its awesome, has a frog look about it

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 08/01/04 - 2:13 AM Permalink

Cool idea, couple of crits though

The legs, as they are, aren't practical. Sitting straight out like that, and only bending on the one axis, turning corners will be impossible. For it to work, look at bugs, see where the legs are placed on them. Generally, bugs have their legs more out the side.

Anyhow, nice job. Gets the idea across well :)

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 08/01/04 - 2:42 AM Permalink

Nice. Dont have much to crit, maybe go over the some of the lines with pen so you can see it easier. Could just be the pic though.

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 08/01/04 - 10:39 AM Permalink

Thanks for the feedback. I foolishly commenced on alterations before receiving comments about the legs. I will tackle these other details in my next round of sketches.

I was thinking recon/exploration rather than weapons platform, hence the friendly curved body shape and lack of weapons. I took on board MoonUnit's comment about driver visability and have moved the cockpit to a turret configuration.

The second sketch gives a different view (I find it's a good way to cross check how the forms fit together.) A bit of rendering to give some atmospherics too.

definitely not a machine of war in polished clothes [:)]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_quad-mech-3L.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_quad-mech-3aL.jpg[/img]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 09/01/04 - 8:03 AM Permalink

very nice, i like how its coming along, the other advantage of bringing your cockpit up there is your driver pretty much has a 180 degree view as it is (cause he cant turn his head 360 dont forget :P )

the legs might need to go on ball joints (following on from what bob said)

good theming for the hull, the metal panels and so on seem all apropriatly placed, now lets see some add ons, things like lights and i would say weaponry but you said that wasnt its purpose

Submitted by codyalday on Sat, 10/01/04 - 1:25 AM Permalink

Looks like it is about to jump. Very nicely done.

Submitted by souri on Sat, 10/01/04 - 2:19 AM Permalink

Just a note, your pictures should be 800x600 if you're uploading it onto your Sumea profile, otherwise the gallery will show them stretched to that size.. and I do appreciate your smaller file sizes (around 20k!), but the compression is affecting the image quality, so you could do with less compression [:)]..

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 14/01/04 - 1:02 AM Permalink

Here is the next installment of my Quad-Mech. Legs have been modified to allow corner turning. Addition of a few details too, not too many as I wanted to keep the overall look sleek.

After a 10hr LAN session (Valhalla LANParty) I had a brief 'gun-lusting' moment and sketched a version with a cannon mounted upfront too.

I'm thinking that this project is about done. I am entertaining the idea of mocking up some box art (keeping with the game theme of this site.) I would do a 3d model but I don't 3d... if anyone has suggestions of where I could take this project let me know.

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/johnnewall/sumea/quad-mech-4L.jpg[/img]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 14/01/04 - 2:13 AM Permalink

not sure about where to take it but thats a nice polished drawing you have there! youve come heaps from the original concept.
if your serious abuot the gun id lower it so that it can actually swivel and not just fire where the mech is facing.

nice work and im glad to have helped you with it :D

Posted by Johnn on

Recent sketching has lead to quadruped vehicles (machinery is a topic that I have not had a lot of practice with.) I am also experimenting with colouring techniques > Aiming for a fast technique that helps to describe the forms/volumes, and matches my sketchy pencil work.

I would appreciate feedback/crit's on all aspects of the sketch.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_quad-mechL.jpg[/img]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 07/01/04 - 11:59 PM Permalink

looks pretty sweet, i designed a similar mech once (four legs, flat sphere-ish thing body)

offering some crit..... ok im assuming the mechs purpose is for fighting, where is its weapons?
also the legs would provide the driver with pretty much tunnel vision as they are

but thats just if you want to nit pick, really its awesome, has a frog look about it

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 08/01/04 - 2:13 AM Permalink

Cool idea, couple of crits though

The legs, as they are, aren't practical. Sitting straight out like that, and only bending on the one axis, turning corners will be impossible. For it to work, look at bugs, see where the legs are placed on them. Generally, bugs have their legs more out the side.

Anyhow, nice job. Gets the idea across well :)

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 08/01/04 - 2:42 AM Permalink

Nice. Dont have much to crit, maybe go over the some of the lines with pen so you can see it easier. Could just be the pic though.

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 08/01/04 - 10:39 AM Permalink

Thanks for the feedback. I foolishly commenced on alterations before receiving comments about the legs. I will tackle these other details in my next round of sketches.

I was thinking recon/exploration rather than weapons platform, hence the friendly curved body shape and lack of weapons. I took on board MoonUnit's comment about driver visability and have moved the cockpit to a turret configuration.

The second sketch gives a different view (I find it's a good way to cross check how the forms fit together.) A bit of rendering to give some atmospherics too.

definitely not a machine of war in polished clothes [:)]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_quad-mech-3L.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_quad-mech-3aL.jpg[/img]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 09/01/04 - 8:03 AM Permalink

very nice, i like how its coming along, the other advantage of bringing your cockpit up there is your driver pretty much has a 180 degree view as it is (cause he cant turn his head 360 dont forget :P )

the legs might need to go on ball joints (following on from what bob said)

good theming for the hull, the metal panels and so on seem all apropriatly placed, now lets see some add ons, things like lights and i would say weaponry but you said that wasnt its purpose

Submitted by codyalday on Sat, 10/01/04 - 1:25 AM Permalink

Looks like it is about to jump. Very nicely done.

Submitted by souri on Sat, 10/01/04 - 2:19 AM Permalink

Just a note, your pictures should be 800x600 if you're uploading it onto your Sumea profile, otherwise the gallery will show them stretched to that size.. and I do appreciate your smaller file sizes (around 20k!), but the compression is affecting the image quality, so you could do with less compression [:)]..

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 14/01/04 - 1:02 AM Permalink

Here is the next installment of my Quad-Mech. Legs have been modified to allow corner turning. Addition of a few details too, not too many as I wanted to keep the overall look sleek.

After a 10hr LAN session (Valhalla LANParty) I had a brief 'gun-lusting' moment and sketched a version with a cannon mounted upfront too.

I'm thinking that this project is about done. I am entertaining the idea of mocking up some box art (keeping with the game theme of this site.) I would do a 3d model but I don't 3d... if anyone has suggestions of where I could take this project let me know.

[img]http://home.iprimus.com.au/johnnewall/sumea/quad-mech-4L.jpg[/img]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 14/01/04 - 2:13 AM Permalink

not sure about where to take it but thats a nice polished drawing you have there! youve come heaps from the original concept.
if your serious abuot the gun id lower it so that it can actually swivel and not just fire where the mech is facing.

nice work and im glad to have helped you with it :D