Skip to main content

Thunderdome 7

Forum

Conceptart.org are having Thunderdome 7 but this time you can challenge whoever you like:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=25

quote:THUNDERDOME 7....THIS TIME IT IS PERSONAL!! (December 3rd, 2003 until January 3rd, 2004)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey all,

THUNDErDOME 7 is HERE!!

There is not Battle Royale! There is no group cage match! This Thunderdome is battle of one on one skillz!

Challenge a friend, chellenge a foe, challenge someone you do not know! Buckle your boots and sharpen your swords. The time to battle is NOW!

who is next? you decide! Does someone on the forums just annoy the hell out of you? Give them what they got comin to em! Do you have a friend who you want to do battle with? Don't egg their house. step into the dome!...

...prizes will be goodies like painter 8, video games, and other fun stuff!

Once matches are agreed upon, dates will be set. each contest will have a specific set of requirements as well as an individual due date.

matches will run all the way thru feburary.

Set your match...check back for the specific information in regards to your bout.

More info will be found in the THUNDERDOME section of the forums. There is a thread to discuss and a thread to challenge. BRING IT ON!!!

Anyway I'd just like to see a few sumeans there.

I'd like to challenge Aven or Makk, if not I'll happily accept a challenge from any other sumean.

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 06/12/03 - 7:23 PM Permalink

Okay. :throwing down the gauntlets: I'll accept the challenge :)

Er. From what I can guess, you sign up and then you have to draw/design a character that could woop the other person's character's arse. Is that correct?

Just joined :)

quote:Does someone on the forums just annoy the hell out of you?

Well at least I know where I stand Camper :)

Submitted by Happy Camper on Sun, 07/12/03 - 12:40 AM Permalink

LOL :). You don't annoy me Aven, I just wanted a challenge :P

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sun, 07/12/03 - 5:00 AM Permalink

Shit - this would be an excellent format for a Sumea challenge. It could be done for 2d challenges (to allow those that can't model to enter) or 3d challenges.

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 07/12/03 - 9:14 AM Permalink

Hah! I would say bring it!!! :P
But looks like Aven has accepted :)

OMG!! Justin Sweet Vs Craig Mullins *drools*
Now that would just kick all kinds of ass!

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 07/12/03 - 9:18 AM Permalink

Haha Camper. I'm just giving you shit :D Had to do some trash talking ;)

Are you willing to get an ICQ or Yahoo account or do I have to get MSN? Be good to chat outside of here :)

I agree whole heartedly with Jonathan. This would be a great idea for 2D artists. It would also be good for those who just want a challenge for a new 3D character as well :) The plus side is that since it can just be illustrational, it can be done in less than a day too.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sun, 07/12/03 - 6:07 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Makk

You seem very excited.

Do you walk around constantly with a bib?

I'm just playing, dude. *insert smiley here*

This is an excellent idea - the 'Showdown' - why not have the Sumea showdown, where we create a 1 on 1 battle scene showing your character beating the shit out of the other persons character? You could post a WIP or rough concept for the other artist to interpret so that they have an idea of the other character for their character to fight? Thus, 2d artists are creating an original character plus interpreting their 'opponent's' character - a handy skill.

Plus, if you wanna take it a step further - do the 3d aspect of the challenge (including a 'home' stage/environment -- assuming that your character is fighting on home ground) so even if you 'lose' the first part, you could win the second part? Stalemates could be possible too.

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 07/12/03 - 7:14 PM Permalink

lol. Makk. You just have to wait your turn :)

I know that this is a bit down the track, but I wouldn't mind challenging Alti to a one on one :)

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 09/12/03 - 9:16 AM Permalink

haha Jonathan, I tend to go into "fanboy mode" when it comes to Justin Sweet and Craig Mullins........if you couldnt tell!! [:o)]

Looking forward to seeing you two battle! [8D]
It would be cool to enter myself but my plate is currently full, well, overflowing actually [:(]

Edit: wow, the battle between Seb and Manley is getting heated!!
Especially with Landmates comments!
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?s=11bca849d6b40b54c2d38…

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 09/12/03 - 11:33 AM Permalink

It is actually a pretty weak thing to have such a heated argument about :/ It doesn't matter what medium it is in, it can still look kick arse.

Landmate's comment was kinda.... cruel. Straight to the point, but very cruel.

Submitted by Happy Camper on Wed, 10/12/03 - 1:08 AM Permalink

Cool 100th post.

That thread got so heated that it got deleted. Damn I didn't even get to see it.
Anyway I really don't see the point in fighting over the medium, I'll be using a combination of Pencils, Inks and Photoshop. Aven can use whatever he likes, it's the skill not the medium that should decide it.

Makk: Looking forward to seeing Aven and I battle? errr...thanx. I'm looking forward to it myself. It's pretty good motivation, ever since Aven accepted my challenge I've been working on my weaknesses, learning new techniques and re-enforcing pre-existing skills. It's a shame your too busy to enter, maybe next time.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 16/12/03 - 4:13 AM Permalink

Cool, you guys have chosen a unique theme/topic

Submitted by Happy Camper on Wed, 07/01/04 - 10:16 AM Permalink

I thought I'd give the thread a kick and let you guys know that Aven and I have got a few pics posted. Okay correction: Aven has done a tonne of kick ass pics, while I have done... errr... stick figures [:P].

Submitted by smeg on Wed, 07/01/04 - 10:46 AM Permalink

Wow. Aven, some of those chick + chain pics are excellent.

I recommend anyone reading this follow the link 3 posts up and check them out.

cheers

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 07/01/04 - 11:15 AM Permalink

Like the concept, Aven but my Nazi-Proportion sense is tingling and thus, those legs in the last pic are too long. I realise that she's wearing heels that a dominatrix would probably only wear, but even then, they're a bit too long. I think part of it is the bent knee on the right.

I like the concept with the close ups best.

On a side note - she looks like a girl who cries during sex. Oops. Did I say that out loud?

I really like your style - it kinda reminds me of Witchblade or Michael Turners Fathom. Your style seems to have a flavour of it's own, which for me, is the one of the most important things about someone's work. Flavour is what makes someone's work standout and stand apart from everyone elses stuff.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 07/01/04 - 11:22 AM Permalink

I still reckon this should be the format for the next challenge.

Who's with me?!

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 07/01/04 - 11:51 AM Permalink

Thanks for the comments guys.

Ben - Thanks for the kind words, but at least you have started. Now roll out some more pics :D I also really have to thank you for challenging me. It has given me a serious kick in the arse to actually do something. Plus it has been a ball :D

Smeg - Thanks. I still have to do some colouring now. That is something that I have very little experience in, so I will really have to try hard.

Jonathan - If it helps I was born in Germany :D Just a few years too late though. I have always drawn my female (and male, just not as badly) with overly long legs. When I keep them towards realsitic proportions, they just feel/look odd. Plus, it helps to show that she is more petit :) They aren't really dominatrix style heels, as there isn't any platform to them :) I would have loved to have stayed with the first pic, but the rules changed slightly and I was having a shit of a time trying to paint all of those ripps and folds in :/ Maybe later when my skill level increases. As for the sex comment.... well that is another way of saying how I wanted her to look :rolls eyes: Michael Turner was one of my original influences (since I saw the Ballistic mini-series), as were/are the majority of TopCow artists. Roll some Luis Royo into the mix and then add in some Playboy and my own tastes (er more Playboy :D), and there you go.

I am definitely with you about starting up a comp like this here. Either that or you could just join up ConceptArt.org and challenge someone :) I know that Makk wanted a go.

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 08/01/04 - 3:03 AM Permalink

Great work guys, I have been following your thread for awhile.

It would be cool to do something like this here. I would have challanged someone, but Im a little stretched for time right now :( .

Forum

Conceptart.org are having Thunderdome 7 but this time you can challenge whoever you like:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=25

quote:THUNDERDOME 7....THIS TIME IT IS PERSONAL!! (December 3rd, 2003 until January 3rd, 2004)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey all,

THUNDErDOME 7 is HERE!!

There is not Battle Royale! There is no group cage match! This Thunderdome is battle of one on one skillz!

Challenge a friend, chellenge a foe, challenge someone you do not know! Buckle your boots and sharpen your swords. The time to battle is NOW!

who is next? you decide! Does someone on the forums just annoy the hell out of you? Give them what they got comin to em! Do you have a friend who you want to do battle with? Don't egg their house. step into the dome!...

...prizes will be goodies like painter 8, video games, and other fun stuff!

Once matches are agreed upon, dates will be set. each contest will have a specific set of requirements as well as an individual due date.

matches will run all the way thru feburary.

Set your match...check back for the specific information in regards to your bout.

More info will be found in the THUNDERDOME section of the forums. There is a thread to discuss and a thread to challenge. BRING IT ON!!!

Anyway I'd just like to see a few sumeans there.

I'd like to challenge Aven or Makk, if not I'll happily accept a challenge from any other sumean.

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 06/12/03 - 7:23 PM Permalink

Okay. :throwing down the gauntlets: I'll accept the challenge :)

Er. From what I can guess, you sign up and then you have to draw/design a character that could woop the other person's character's arse. Is that correct?

Just joined :)

quote:Does someone on the forums just annoy the hell out of you?

Well at least I know where I stand Camper :)

Submitted by Happy Camper on Sun, 07/12/03 - 12:40 AM Permalink

LOL :). You don't annoy me Aven, I just wanted a challenge :P

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sun, 07/12/03 - 5:00 AM Permalink

Shit - this would be an excellent format for a Sumea challenge. It could be done for 2d challenges (to allow those that can't model to enter) or 3d challenges.

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 07/12/03 - 9:14 AM Permalink

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 07/12/03 - 9:18 AM Permalink

Haha Camper. I'm just giving you shit :D Had to do some trash talking ;)

Are you willing to get an ICQ or Yahoo account or do I have to get MSN? Be good to chat outside of here :)

I agree whole heartedly with Jonathan. This would be a great idea for 2D artists. It would also be good for those who just want a challenge for a new 3D character as well :) The plus side is that since it can just be illustrational, it can be done in less than a day too.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Sun, 07/12/03 - 6:07 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Makk

You seem very excited.

Do you walk around constantly with a bib?

I'm just playing, dude. *insert smiley here*

This is an excellent idea - the 'Showdown' - why not have the Sumea showdown, where we create a 1 on 1 battle scene showing your character beating the shit out of the other persons character? You could post a WIP or rough concept for the other artist to interpret so that they have an idea of the other character for their character to fight? Thus, 2d artists are creating an original character plus interpreting their 'opponent's' character - a handy skill.

Plus, if you wanna take it a step further - do the 3d aspect of the challenge (including a 'home' stage/environment -- assuming that your character is fighting on home ground) so even if you 'lose' the first part, you could win the second part? Stalemates could be possible too.

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 07/12/03 - 7:14 PM Permalink

lol. Makk. You just have to wait your turn :)

I know that this is a bit down the track, but I wouldn't mind challenging Alti to a one on one :)

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 09/12/03 - 9:16 AM Permalink

haha Jonathan, I tend to go into "fanboy mode" when it comes to Justin Sweet and Craig Mullins........if you couldnt tell!! [:o)]

Looking forward to seeing you two battle! [8D]
It would be cool to enter myself but my plate is currently full, well, overflowing actually [:(]

Edit: wow, the battle between Seb and Manley is getting heated!!
Especially with Landmates comments!
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?s=11bca849d6b40b54c2d38…

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 09/12/03 - 11:33 AM Permalink

It is actually a pretty weak thing to have such a heated argument about :/ It doesn't matter what medium it is in, it can still look kick arse.

Landmate's comment was kinda.... cruel. Straight to the point, but very cruel.

Submitted by Happy Camper on Wed, 10/12/03 - 1:08 AM Permalink

Cool 100th post.

That thread got so heated that it got deleted. Damn I didn't even get to see it.
Anyway I really don't see the point in fighting over the medium, I'll be using a combination of Pencils, Inks and Photoshop. Aven can use whatever he likes, it's the skill not the medium that should decide it.

Makk: Looking forward to seeing Aven and I battle? errr...thanx. I'm looking forward to it myself. It's pretty good motivation, ever since Aven accepted my challenge I've been working on my weaknesses, learning new techniques and re-enforcing pre-existing skills. It's a shame your too busy to enter, maybe next time.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 16/12/03 - 4:13 AM Permalink

Cool, you guys have chosen a unique theme/topic

Submitted by Happy Camper on Wed, 07/01/04 - 10:16 AM Permalink

I thought I'd give the thread a kick and let you guys know that Aven and I have got a few pics posted. Okay correction: Aven has done a tonne of kick ass pics, while I have done... errr... stick figures [:P].

Submitted by smeg on Wed, 07/01/04 - 10:46 AM Permalink

Wow. Aven, some of those chick + chain pics are excellent.

I recommend anyone reading this follow the link 3 posts up and check them out.

cheers

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 07/01/04 - 11:15 AM Permalink

Like the concept, Aven but my Nazi-Proportion sense is tingling and thus, those legs in the last pic are too long. I realise that she's wearing heels that a dominatrix would probably only wear, but even then, they're a bit too long. I think part of it is the bent knee on the right.

I like the concept with the close ups best.

On a side note - she looks like a girl who cries during sex. Oops. Did I say that out loud?

I really like your style - it kinda reminds me of Witchblade or Michael Turners Fathom. Your style seems to have a flavour of it's own, which for me, is the one of the most important things about someone's work. Flavour is what makes someone's work standout and stand apart from everyone elses stuff.

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 07/01/04 - 11:22 AM Permalink

I still reckon this should be the format for the next challenge.

Who's with me?!

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 07/01/04 - 11:51 AM Permalink

Thanks for the comments guys.

Ben - Thanks for the kind words, but at least you have started. Now roll out some more pics :D I also really have to thank you for challenging me. It has given me a serious kick in the arse to actually do something. Plus it has been a ball :D

Smeg - Thanks. I still have to do some colouring now. That is something that I have very little experience in, so I will really have to try hard.

Jonathan - If it helps I was born in Germany :D Just a few years too late though. I have always drawn my female (and male, just not as badly) with overly long legs. When I keep them towards realsitic proportions, they just feel/look odd. Plus, it helps to show that she is more petit :) They aren't really dominatrix style heels, as there isn't any platform to them :) I would have loved to have stayed with the first pic, but the rules changed slightly and I was having a shit of a time trying to paint all of those ripps and folds in :/ Maybe later when my skill level increases. As for the sex comment.... well that is another way of saying how I wanted her to look :rolls eyes: Michael Turner was one of my original influences (since I saw the Ballistic mini-series), as were/are the majority of TopCow artists. Roll some Luis Royo into the mix and then add in some Playboy and my own tastes (er more Playboy :D), and there you go.

I am definitely with you about starting up a comp like this here. Either that or you could just join up ConceptArt.org and challenge someone :) I know that Makk wanted a go.

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 08/01/04 - 3:03 AM Permalink

Great work guys, I have been following your thread for awhile.

It would be cool to do something like this here. I would have challanged someone, but Im a little stretched for time right now :( .