Skip to main content

Torus?

Submitted by awright on

Hi everyone,

I'm new to these forums but am currently looking at relocating to Australia and was looking for companies at where i'd be relocating to (Melbourne).

I've seen the recent post about Torus Games, they say they're looking for environment artists, prop artists, texture artists... but also from basic design work, so I assume some design work is involved also.

While this may be good and all, it looks like they want several people that can do all of these, rather than focussing on a particular role such as environment art (which i do, and preferably modelling).

Also i'm not sure why they use Maya as Max is much more preferable by most of the industry (at the 2 companies i've worked at over 10 years anyway).

I'm not sure what the culture is like in the workplace and would really like to know more information from people who have worked there previously. I do not wish to be told by people that want to hire me that there place is great etc. Not interested in bias opinions. Want to know what the hours are like, lunchtime activities (do people lan games? sports?), overtime compensation?, salary.

There's not a great deal that seems to be available in Melbourne and Torus Games also seems to be a fair way from any kind of major shopping areas accessible at lunch time via walk that i'm currently used to.

Anyway, all that aside.. has anyone got links to more reviews of games Torus have done as I can't seem to find any that show great stuff.

http://au.gamespot.com/xbox/action/classifiedthesentinelcrisis/review.html?sid=6148040
This looks like a ps2 game but it's in the xbox section? Maybe gamespot made a mistake?

http://au.gamespot.com/pages/tags/index.php?tags=torus+games
I found this also, but it's all handheld titles, why do they want Maya experience for 2D work?

http://au.gamespot.com/ds/action/spidermanbattlefornewyork/news.html?sid=6154314
People don't seem to be happy about Torus working on a spiderman game?! Why not spiderman is cool, although I must admit it does look rather bland and the same as the other spiderman ds game that is already available. Using the same assets? I prefer to make content from scratch.

What sort of tech would the environment artists be working with? I'm working with next-gen titles at the moment (cannot say which ones), and would like to continue to work on next-gen realtime goodness. Is Torus expanding to work on next-gen as I don't see anything about it currently. If it's current gen, is it all handheld work? I prefer to also stay away from 300 poly characters (I can do character work also if need be). On our current title we're working with ~6000 poly characters with a combination of realtime and baked lighting solutions.

If anyone could please show me something good that Torus has actually done it'd be much appreciated, or point me in the direction of a better company in Melbourne.

I read Krome has bought Melbourne House? Would Krome be a good company to work for? But this is a new office, or existing one with more people being employed.. will have to wait and see... should I wait to see what Krome is doing or should I apply at Torus?

Please only honest opinions, from people who have been in the area and on these forums for a long time. As i said before, no bias opinions please.awright2006-11-05 21:21:58

Submitted by Caroo on Mon, 06/11/06 - 11:16 AM Permalink

Honestly mate. If you have that much experience and skill all you really need to do is send your resume off to all the big Melbourne companies and see who bites and takes interest. Also if you're highly skilled you'll have the opportunity to ask the extra bits and pieces like bonuses and such.

The notion I've gotten form Melbourne is that if you have provable skill finding a place wont be imposable.

http://www.sumea.com.au/sdevelopers.asp - every major studio is listed here. Even if a studios jobs section doesn?t have the position you're looking for posted. Send your resume anyway. Just make sure to have the words "Experienced Developer" in your mail title. That should save you from the Auto-delete button.

Anyway mate. Take a look around and remember to look at all the options. Cheers.

Caroo.

Submitted by Red 5 on Wed, 29/11/06 - 10:05 AM Permalink

First off awright, any reason why you've chosen Melbourne as your relocation destination? ...I think there's just as much (if not more) going on in Brisbane nowdays as in Melbourne, so it might be a good idea to keep your options open if you have a choice.

I used to work for Torus, although it was quite a few years ago. I think you should do as much research as possible before applying to any game company, look for long term stability, published titles etc.

As for which 3D app is primarily used by any game studio, you've worked in the industry long enough to realise that one is neither better or worse than another and there's always a reason behind choices... things change and evolve constantly so it's up to you to adapt.

One thing you probably won't get (from a public forum such as this), is negative comments about any specific game studio here in Australia, at least from anyone who is currently working within the industry... it isn't appropriate.

On the other hand, I'm sure you're aware that you'll find good and bad points in just about any studio you work at... what's great for one person might not be so great for another.

If you are specifically looking for next-gen console work, then you need to target companies who have a previous track record in next-gen development.

Good luck :)

Submitted by Brawsome on Tue, 05/12/06 - 3:05 PM Permalink

Having been born and raised in Melbourne I reckon it's a great place to live and work. Contrary to popular belief, the Melbourne games industry employs more people than any other state (http://www.sumea.com.au/snews.asp?news=2483) and, correct me if i'm wrong, is the home of Australian game development.

I've talked to people who aren't too crazy about Torus, but I personally found it to be a good place to work both as a tester and a programmer, I've met some really great people at Torus, and that goes a long way towards making a great place to work. Also the location away from the city means you can avoid the city commute and rent/buy a nicer place closer to work. It's located in a kind of business park, so the local shops are about a 15 minute walk or a 5 min drive, and parking generally isn't a problem. Last time I worked there (earlier this year) you got an hour for lunch and it was a 37.5 hour week, and I hear now they have 2 table tennis tables and a pool table, plus a few old arcade machines and a pinball machine, and when I was there earlier this year there was a lan game or 2 going on at lunchtime. As for the type of work they're doing, I'd advise you call Torus and ask to speak to someone about it.

As for Maya, every game company I've worked for in the last 2 years has used it as the predominant 3D development package, though I find that many artists say they prefer Max. If I was getting into 3D modelling I'd probably get a copy of Maya over Max.

I'm currently working at Tantalus and finding it an enjoyable place to work so far, I'm still finding my feet but the people there have been really great and it was the best induction experience I've ever had. And the free beer and games on Fridays at 5 is a real bonus! I must say I do miss the table tennis though. Previously I was at Codemasters, which wasn't as good, mostly to do with its location (no table tennis there either).

It's nice being in the city (Melbourne's a beautiful city) because you have access to so much more, but it usually works out being more expensive and you'll generally be spending more time travelling. It just depends on what kind of lifestyle you like. Nothing beats being able to walk to work though.

Anyway that's MY opinion. Take it as you will.

Andrew =0)

Posted by awright on

Hi everyone,

I'm new to these forums but am currently looking at relocating to Australia and was looking for companies at where i'd be relocating to (Melbourne).

I've seen the recent post about Torus Games, they say they're looking for environment artists, prop artists, texture artists... but also from basic design work, so I assume some design work is involved also.

While this may be good and all, it looks like they want several people that can do all of these, rather than focussing on a particular role such as environment art (which i do, and preferably modelling).

Also i'm not sure why they use Maya as Max is much more preferable by most of the industry (at the 2 companies i've worked at over 10 years anyway).

I'm not sure what the culture is like in the workplace and would really like to know more information from people who have worked there previously. I do not wish to be told by people that want to hire me that there place is great etc. Not interested in bias opinions. Want to know what the hours are like, lunchtime activities (do people lan games? sports?), overtime compensation?, salary.

There's not a great deal that seems to be available in Melbourne and Torus Games also seems to be a fair way from any kind of major shopping areas accessible at lunch time via walk that i'm currently used to.

Anyway, all that aside.. has anyone got links to more reviews of games Torus have done as I can't seem to find any that show great stuff.

http://au.gamespot.com/xbox/action/classifiedthesentinelcrisis/review.html?sid=6148040
This looks like a ps2 game but it's in the xbox section? Maybe gamespot made a mistake?

http://au.gamespot.com/pages/tags/index.php?tags=torus+games
I found this also, but it's all handheld titles, why do they want Maya experience for 2D work?

http://au.gamespot.com/ds/action/spidermanbattlefornewyork/news.html?sid=6154314
People don't seem to be happy about Torus working on a spiderman game?! Why not spiderman is cool, although I must admit it does look rather bland and the same as the other spiderman ds game that is already available. Using the same assets? I prefer to make content from scratch.

What sort of tech would the environment artists be working with? I'm working with next-gen titles at the moment (cannot say which ones), and would like to continue to work on next-gen realtime goodness. Is Torus expanding to work on next-gen as I don't see anything about it currently. If it's current gen, is it all handheld work? I prefer to also stay away from 300 poly characters (I can do character work also if need be). On our current title we're working with ~6000 poly characters with a combination of realtime and baked lighting solutions.

If anyone could please show me something good that Torus has actually done it'd be much appreciated, or point me in the direction of a better company in Melbourne.

I read Krome has bought Melbourne House? Would Krome be a good company to work for? But this is a new office, or existing one with more people being employed.. will have to wait and see... should I wait to see what Krome is doing or should I apply at Torus?

Please only honest opinions, from people who have been in the area and on these forums for a long time. As i said before, no bias opinions please.awright2006-11-05 21:21:58

Submitted by Caroo on Mon, 06/11/06 - 11:16 AM Permalink

Honestly mate. If you have that much experience and skill all you really need to do is send your resume off to all the big Melbourne companies and see who bites and takes interest. Also if you're highly skilled you'll have the opportunity to ask the extra bits and pieces like bonuses and such.

The notion I've gotten form Melbourne is that if you have provable skill finding a place wont be imposable.

http://www.sumea.com.au/sdevelopers.asp - every major studio is listed here. Even if a studios jobs section doesn?t have the position you're looking for posted. Send your resume anyway. Just make sure to have the words "Experienced Developer" in your mail title. That should save you from the Auto-delete button.

Anyway mate. Take a look around and remember to look at all the options. Cheers.

Caroo.

Submitted by Red 5 on Wed, 29/11/06 - 10:05 AM Permalink

First off awright, any reason why you've chosen Melbourne as your relocation destination? ...I think there's just as much (if not more) going on in Brisbane nowdays as in Melbourne, so it might be a good idea to keep your options open if you have a choice.

I used to work for Torus, although it was quite a few years ago. I think you should do as much research as possible before applying to any game company, look for long term stability, published titles etc.

As for which 3D app is primarily used by any game studio, you've worked in the industry long enough to realise that one is neither better or worse than another and there's always a reason behind choices... things change and evolve constantly so it's up to you to adapt.

One thing you probably won't get (from a public forum such as this), is negative comments about any specific game studio here in Australia, at least from anyone who is currently working within the industry... it isn't appropriate.

On the other hand, I'm sure you're aware that you'll find good and bad points in just about any studio you work at... what's great for one person might not be so great for another.

If you are specifically looking for next-gen console work, then you need to target companies who have a previous track record in next-gen development.

Good luck :)

Submitted by Brawsome on Tue, 05/12/06 - 3:05 PM Permalink

Having been born and raised in Melbourne I reckon it's a great place to live and work. Contrary to popular belief, the Melbourne games industry employs more people than any other state (http://www.sumea.com.au/snews.asp?news=2483) and, correct me if i'm wrong, is the home of Australian game development.

I've talked to people who aren't too crazy about Torus, but I personally found it to be a good place to work both as a tester and a programmer, I've met some really great people at Torus, and that goes a long way towards making a great place to work. Also the location away from the city means you can avoid the city commute and rent/buy a nicer place closer to work. It's located in a kind of business park, so the local shops are about a 15 minute walk or a 5 min drive, and parking generally isn't a problem. Last time I worked there (earlier this year) you got an hour for lunch and it was a 37.5 hour week, and I hear now they have 2 table tennis tables and a pool table, plus a few old arcade machines and a pinball machine, and when I was there earlier this year there was a lan game or 2 going on at lunchtime. As for the type of work they're doing, I'd advise you call Torus and ask to speak to someone about it.

As for Maya, every game company I've worked for in the last 2 years has used it as the predominant 3D development package, though I find that many artists say they prefer Max. If I was getting into 3D modelling I'd probably get a copy of Maya over Max.

I'm currently working at Tantalus and finding it an enjoyable place to work so far, I'm still finding my feet but the people there have been really great and it was the best induction experience I've ever had. And the free beer and games on Fridays at 5 is a real bonus! I must say I do miss the table tennis though. Previously I was at Codemasters, which wasn't as good, mostly to do with its location (no table tennis there either).

It's nice being in the city (Melbourne's a beautiful city) because you have access to so much more, but it usually works out being more expensive and you'll generally be spending more time travelling. It just depends on what kind of lifestyle you like. Nothing beats being able to walk to work though.

Anyway that's MY opinion. Take it as you will.

Andrew =0)