Skip to main content

Treborhn

[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/sorcerorbob/treb.gif[/img]

2038 tri's.

More to come :)

Submitted by Dan Ward on Wed, 07/05/03 - 2:13 AM Permalink

Looking good bob, really like the way you have done the feet would be cool if you could make the arms/hands a bit more "treeish"

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 07/05/03 - 8:26 AM Permalink

yeah, I had to keep it close to the concept which was a kick in the nuts in that area.

adding stuff now to make him look more tree like

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 07/05/03 - 8:53 AM Permalink

If its possible, can we see it untriangulated (quads), I'm a little confused as to the poly flow. At the moment it looks like the polys are just randomly placed everywhere, you need to be more aware of tri stripping and edge loops, anything to help the efficienecy of the mesh.

Also some planes with foliage on them would help the whole tree feel too, as would making the arms less human and more branch like (less muscle definition).

Nice idea though, gotta love tree beasties. Whats that on its back?

Maybe post the concept, what we think may not be what you're after, the concept will help us get an idea of what you are going for.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 07/05/03 - 12:06 PM Permalink

*update up top*
Malus -
I can't pimp the concept, because the guy who gave it to me said I can't :P.

I've also worked wholly in tri's, so a quad pimp will be pretty much impossible to do. Poly flow is there.. I make sure of that in all my models.

The thing on his back is a saddle.. Reason its up so high is that it needs to work in a dual state.. Eg standing up like that, and down like a gorilla - thats why the legs are stumpy (hahah - don't ban me souri :))

Foliage planes are on the to do list, I did add some twigs and mushrooms and stuff. As well as the alpha beard. When I next get time to work on this guy, I'll be polishing him up even further.. But I think he's demo reel quality now.. Which is good seeing as he'll be heading off in a day or so.

Tri count is 2861 - 883 of those are accessories (stuff not on the main mesh).. There are alot of areas i can clean up a fair bit, but I think hes a good count for all the junk I've got on him.. Also some other stuff i'd like to add, like a birds nest in a hollow.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 07/05/03 - 7:54 PM Permalink

I thought you had done it all in tris, but I still can't see alot of flow in the mesh, up until a few months ago I was using tris too.

Just curious, why doesn't your friend want the concept shown, no one can copy his work without looking like a total hack and he isn't the first tree man ever concieved.

Like the little details in the mushrooms, twigs etc, still think the arms are to human looking. Will you have a character riding it?

Now you just have to texture him. [:)]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 08/05/03 - 2:32 AM Permalink

[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/sorcerorbob/Treborhn.jpg[/img]
Concept by Charles Taylor

Was given the greenlight to post the concept. He may be going into a game, which is why i couldn't before hand.. The concept represented part of the look and feel I think.

Should explain some of the choices I was forced to take with the anatomy anyways.. Believe me, I would have made the arms massive branches, but as you can see, the concept called for super muscle man type arms.

Polyflow is there.. Just cause you can't see it doesn't mean its not there.. Remember you're only looking at it from one angle.. When it's doing something like a 360 spin for example, its easy to notice the flow lines running through the mesh.
I also optimised things heavily, that broke up some of the original, more obvious lines, but I did make sure each edge flows into others etc.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 08/05/03 - 6:13 AM Permalink

Nice concept, I see how the arms work now.
I checked out your other posts on polycount and the flow was more obvious on them, hope I didn't offend just telling it how I saw it.
Hows the mapping going?

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 08/05/03 - 7:21 AM Permalink

Nah its cool man, I really hate pimping 2d renders, I find they never show what the artist is trying to get across.. Well thats just me.. Also been getting a little frustrated, I've been criticised a fair bit for working in tri's..

texturing.. all i can say is later.. got another model i want to make before next friday.. so when i get that out of the way i can start unwrapping.. gah

anyways i'll shaddup now :P

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 08/05/03 - 9:11 PM Permalink

Sorcerer Bob: Working in tris is fine man, like I said I did it up until recently, you can still do all the things that working in quads does except you don't have its cool tools, but hey just download polytools for Max and you've got the same stuff.

I 'personally' just prefer the tools in quad modelling thats about the only reason, that and if I'm going to mesh smooth quads smooth better.

It annoys me how people say you have to work a certain way, if your end mesh is perfect and it takes you no time to model thats all that matters, man use nurbs and convert to tris at the end if that works for you, its all good.

People are just elitists when it comes to how they work.

Redwyre: Its kinda hard to explain without an example but its how the polygons are set out on the mesh, a continual line of edges around a mesh is an edge loop and the more of those you have the better the 'flow' of the polies.

Tri-stripping is making all the polys sit in a consistent manner so the engine has an easier job in drawing them.
Imagine these lines are polygons: |/|/|/|/| is better than |/|/|||| as the diagonal edges all lean in one direction.

Not the best explanation but hey. [:P]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 09/05/03 - 1:02 AM Permalink

Yeah, I fully agree.. What works for some people may not work for others.. I am gonna work in quads soon, but that will be so I can learn sub D modelling.. (anyone who models highpoly in tri's smokes crack)

Redwyre, Malus has it right.. Here are some images that help explain it
http://www.coronaleonis.com/tutorial/index.html
http://www.coronaleonis.com/tutorial/images/MT05.jpg
http://www.coronaleonis.com/tutorial/images/MT06.jpg

Submitted by redwyre on Sat, 10/05/03 - 6:05 PM Permalink

Ah I see, although I'm not sure if it really matters that much these days (Indexed vertex streams eliminate vertex duplication..). But I can't see any harm in doing so :)

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 10/05/03 - 10:45 PM Permalink

I don't think its a huge technical thing.. But it does make the mesh much more efficient and pretty to look at :)

Submitted by Malus on Sun, 11/05/03 - 1:14 AM Permalink

The poly flow is mainly just for asthetics but tri stripping is soley for taking strain off off the code, be it only a small amount.

Submitted by beatsta on Sat, 17/05/03 - 3:03 PM Permalink

very nice and umm very stange layout of polys. Can't tell if its a very efficient layout of the tris for the model.... maybe sum of the necessary lines have been turned too much to make it appear a bit of a complicated and cluttered mesh.... I reckon its just the angle we are viewing it from that makes the polys look weird.....Very Nice

[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/sorcerorbob/treb.gif[/img]

2038 tri's.

More to come :)

Submitted by Dan Ward on Wed, 07/05/03 - 2:13 AM Permalink

Looking good bob, really like the way you have done the feet would be cool if you could make the arms/hands a bit more "treeish"

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 07/05/03 - 8:26 AM Permalink

yeah, I had to keep it close to the concept which was a kick in the nuts in that area.

adding stuff now to make him look more tree like

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 07/05/03 - 8:53 AM Permalink

If its possible, can we see it untriangulated (quads), I'm a little confused as to the poly flow. At the moment it looks like the polys are just randomly placed everywhere, you need to be more aware of tri stripping and edge loops, anything to help the efficienecy of the mesh.

Also some planes with foliage on them would help the whole tree feel too, as would making the arms less human and more branch like (less muscle definition).

Nice idea though, gotta love tree beasties. Whats that on its back?

Maybe post the concept, what we think may not be what you're after, the concept will help us get an idea of what you are going for.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 07/05/03 - 12:06 PM Permalink

*update up top*
Malus -
I can't pimp the concept, because the guy who gave it to me said I can't :P.

I've also worked wholly in tri's, so a quad pimp will be pretty much impossible to do. Poly flow is there.. I make sure of that in all my models.

The thing on his back is a saddle.. Reason its up so high is that it needs to work in a dual state.. Eg standing up like that, and down like a gorilla - thats why the legs are stumpy (hahah - don't ban me souri :))

Foliage planes are on the to do list, I did add some twigs and mushrooms and stuff. As well as the alpha beard. When I next get time to work on this guy, I'll be polishing him up even further.. But I think he's demo reel quality now.. Which is good seeing as he'll be heading off in a day or so.

Tri count is 2861 - 883 of those are accessories (stuff not on the main mesh).. There are alot of areas i can clean up a fair bit, but I think hes a good count for all the junk I've got on him.. Also some other stuff i'd like to add, like a birds nest in a hollow.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 07/05/03 - 7:54 PM Permalink

I thought you had done it all in tris, but I still can't see alot of flow in the mesh, up until a few months ago I was using tris too.

Just curious, why doesn't your friend want the concept shown, no one can copy his work without looking like a total hack and he isn't the first tree man ever concieved.

Like the little details in the mushrooms, twigs etc, still think the arms are to human looking. Will you have a character riding it?

Now you just have to texture him. [:)]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 08/05/03 - 2:32 AM Permalink

[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/sorcerorbob/Treborhn.jpg[/img]
Concept by Charles Taylor

Was given the greenlight to post the concept. He may be going into a game, which is why i couldn't before hand.. The concept represented part of the look and feel I think.

Should explain some of the choices I was forced to take with the anatomy anyways.. Believe me, I would have made the arms massive branches, but as you can see, the concept called for super muscle man type arms.

Polyflow is there.. Just cause you can't see it doesn't mean its not there.. Remember you're only looking at it from one angle.. When it's doing something like a 360 spin for example, its easy to notice the flow lines running through the mesh.
I also optimised things heavily, that broke up some of the original, more obvious lines, but I did make sure each edge flows into others etc.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 08/05/03 - 6:13 AM Permalink

Nice concept, I see how the arms work now.
I checked out your other posts on polycount and the flow was more obvious on them, hope I didn't offend just telling it how I saw it.
Hows the mapping going?

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 08/05/03 - 7:21 AM Permalink

Nah its cool man, I really hate pimping 2d renders, I find they never show what the artist is trying to get across.. Well thats just me.. Also been getting a little frustrated, I've been criticised a fair bit for working in tri's..

texturing.. all i can say is later.. got another model i want to make before next friday.. so when i get that out of the way i can start unwrapping.. gah

anyways i'll shaddup now :P

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 08/05/03 - 9:11 PM Permalink

Sorcerer Bob: Working in tris is fine man, like I said I did it up until recently, you can still do all the things that working in quads does except you don't have its cool tools, but hey just download polytools for Max and you've got the same stuff.

I 'personally' just prefer the tools in quad modelling thats about the only reason, that and if I'm going to mesh smooth quads smooth better.

It annoys me how people say you have to work a certain way, if your end mesh is perfect and it takes you no time to model thats all that matters, man use nurbs and convert to tris at the end if that works for you, its all good.

People are just elitists when it comes to how they work.

Redwyre: Its kinda hard to explain without an example but its how the polygons are set out on the mesh, a continual line of edges around a mesh is an edge loop and the more of those you have the better the 'flow' of the polies.

Tri-stripping is making all the polys sit in a consistent manner so the engine has an easier job in drawing them.
Imagine these lines are polygons: |/|/|/|/| is better than |/|/|||| as the diagonal edges all lean in one direction.

Not the best explanation but hey. [:P]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 09/05/03 - 1:02 AM Permalink

Yeah, I fully agree.. What works for some people may not work for others.. I am gonna work in quads soon, but that will be so I can learn sub D modelling.. (anyone who models highpoly in tri's smokes crack)

Redwyre, Malus has it right.. Here are some images that help explain it
http://www.coronaleonis.com/tutorial/index.html
http://www.coronaleonis.com/tutorial/images/MT05.jpg
http://www.coronaleonis.com/tutorial/images/MT06.jpg

Submitted by redwyre on Sat, 10/05/03 - 6:05 PM Permalink

Ah I see, although I'm not sure if it really matters that much these days (Indexed vertex streams eliminate vertex duplication..). But I can't see any harm in doing so :)

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 10/05/03 - 10:45 PM Permalink

I don't think its a huge technical thing.. But it does make the mesh much more efficient and pretty to look at :)

Submitted by Malus on Sun, 11/05/03 - 1:14 AM Permalink

The poly flow is mainly just for asthetics but tri stripping is soley for taking strain off off the code, be it only a small amount.

Submitted by beatsta on Sat, 17/05/03 - 3:03 PM Permalink

very nice and umm very stange layout of polys. Can't tell if its a very efficient layout of the tris for the model.... maybe sum of the necessary lines have been turned too much to make it appear a bit of a complicated and cluttered mesh.... I reckon its just the angle we are viewing it from that makes the polys look weird.....Very Nice