Skip to main content

Concept Art Plagiarism?

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

Goodness me..

Never rip off the work of a renowned digital artist like Craig Mullins and then post your efforts on a site like Conceptart.org .. *Mind boggled*

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60859

The artist obviously has talent, but I do have to question a few things. Why would you use another artist's work as a base when you obviously have the talent and presumably the creativity to come up with something of your own! Or is it possible that the two artists used the same source material?

Submitted by Brain on Wed, 08/02/06 - 2:42 AM Permalink

Crikey... I know people who plagiarise aren't particularly smart, but to use Mullins? He's got some good art there, but after knowing what I know, I question if it's actually his or not. And that's gotta be the worst blemish he can get for the rest of his artistic life.

Remember kids: Just say no.

Submitted by grantregan on Thu, 16/03/06 - 8:46 PM Permalink

Sorry, are you questioning whether Craig's work is his or not? I'm a tad confused by your post. How is this a blemish against Craig Mullins?

Submitted by Jacana on Fri, 17/03/06 - 4:45 AM Permalink

If you read the thread that Souri refered to it appears an artist did a very nice picture, and as you troll through the thread a poster put the picture that the artist did over a picture of Craig Mullins and then cut holes in it.

Basic jist - the picture the artist posted appears to be a paint over of one of Mullin's works. Maybe if you read the thread it'll clear up what the statements above are about?

Submitted by grantregan on Fri, 17/03/06 - 6:59 PM Permalink

I read the thread Jacana and understood it. My point was that Brian's post was worded in such as way that it seemed he was referring to Craig Mullins. To top it off the plaigarist is a she not a he.

That's all but yes i've got it really. :)

Submitted by Jacana on Fri, 17/03/06 - 8:00 PM Permalink

Ahh ok :) I just thought you were confused about the response (rather than as a response to the thread)!

Submitted by LOOM on Wed, 22/03/06 - 9:26 AM Permalink

hehe , thats the internet for you.

Over @ CDG a collegues AK47 model and skin was used in the LORD of War movie(featuring Nicolas Cage) for the DVD Menu. Without permission of course.

Submitted by skunx on Wed, 22/03/06 - 10:16 AM Permalink

What about games plagiarizing other games? I'm not talking about the art side (where it is obviously happening) but on a gameplay point of view. There are a number of genres and its ok for a game to dip into them and take stuff but sometimes it goes too far.

For example, how many GTA clones have you seen in the past 2-3 years? Thats right... heaps! Now its not wrong to take many elements of a great game like GTA and put it in your own, but when you deviously try to make it exactly the same (same setting, same language, same violence) then it becomes despicable. Look at True Crime, its a total rip-off gameplay-wise and it also sucks. They cant even match the great gameplay of GTA games. Actually, no GTA clone since GTA3 has matched it aside from the 2 GTA sequels.

I was reading a new review of the new PC release of Driver3, again a GTA rip-off and a bad one to boot. As a designer if I was in a position to make such a game I would at least try and differentiate slightly or add new gameplay elements that would work. I'd also try to stray away from the whole gangsta/mafia stuff, its been done to death in the space of 3-4 years with only a couple being good enough. I hear EA just released The Godfather, a GTA-esque mobster game using that particular universe. Its cool, its a rip-off to an extent but at least they aren't pretending, its a game based on a great mafia movie. Cliche but its ok. But please stop doing it!!! There seems to be no imagination at all.

Now watch all the unimaginitive MMO's that will be released in the next year or 2 running off the success of WoW. Just watch the craze!

/end rant

Posted by souri on
Forum

Goodness me..

Never rip off the work of a renowned digital artist like Craig Mullins and then post your efforts on a site like Conceptart.org .. *Mind boggled*

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60859

The artist obviously has talent, but I do have to question a few things. Why would you use another artist's work as a base when you obviously have the talent and presumably the creativity to come up with something of your own! Or is it possible that the two artists used the same source material?

Submitted by Brain on Wed, 08/02/06 - 2:42 AM Permalink

Crikey... I know people who plagiarise aren't particularly smart, but to use Mullins? He's got some good art there, but after knowing what I know, I question if it's actually his or not. And that's gotta be the worst blemish he can get for the rest of his artistic life.

Remember kids: Just say no.

Submitted by grantregan on Thu, 16/03/06 - 8:46 PM Permalink

Sorry, are you questioning whether Craig's work is his or not? I'm a tad confused by your post. How is this a blemish against Craig Mullins?

Submitted by Jacana on Fri, 17/03/06 - 4:45 AM Permalink

If you read the thread that Souri refered to it appears an artist did a very nice picture, and as you troll through the thread a poster put the picture that the artist did over a picture of Craig Mullins and then cut holes in it.

Basic jist - the picture the artist posted appears to be a paint over of one of Mullin's works. Maybe if you read the thread it'll clear up what the statements above are about?

Submitted by grantregan on Fri, 17/03/06 - 6:59 PM Permalink

I read the thread Jacana and understood it. My point was that Brian's post was worded in such as way that it seemed he was referring to Craig Mullins. To top it off the plaigarist is a she not a he.

That's all but yes i've got it really. :)

Submitted by Jacana on Fri, 17/03/06 - 8:00 PM Permalink

Ahh ok :) I just thought you were confused about the response (rather than as a response to the thread)!

Submitted by LOOM on Wed, 22/03/06 - 9:26 AM Permalink

hehe , thats the internet for you.

Over @ CDG a collegues AK47 model and skin was used in the LORD of War movie(featuring Nicolas Cage) for the DVD Menu. Without permission of course.

Submitted by skunx on Wed, 22/03/06 - 10:16 AM Permalink

What about games plagiarizing other games? I'm not talking about the art side (where it is obviously happening) but on a gameplay point of view. There are a number of genres and its ok for a game to dip into them and take stuff but sometimes it goes too far.

For example, how many GTA clones have you seen in the past 2-3 years? Thats right... heaps! Now its not wrong to take many elements of a great game like GTA and put it in your own, but when you deviously try to make it exactly the same (same setting, same language, same violence) then it becomes despicable. Look at True Crime, its a total rip-off gameplay-wise and it also sucks. They cant even match the great gameplay of GTA games. Actually, no GTA clone since GTA3 has matched it aside from the 2 GTA sequels.

I was reading a new review of the new PC release of Driver3, again a GTA rip-off and a bad one to boot. As a designer if I was in a position to make such a game I would at least try and differentiate slightly or add new gameplay elements that would work. I'd also try to stray away from the whole gangsta/mafia stuff, its been done to death in the space of 3-4 years with only a couple being good enough. I hear EA just released The Godfather, a GTA-esque mobster game using that particular universe. Its cool, its a rip-off to an extent but at least they aren't pretending, its a game based on a great mafia movie. Cliche but its ok. But please stop doing it!!! There seems to be no imagination at all.

Now watch all the unimaginitive MMO's that will be released in the next year or 2 running off the success of WoW. Just watch the craze!

/end rant