Skip to main content

The Alien Quadrilogy DVD set

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

DAMNIT.. don't you hate it when this happens! I got me the Alien Legacy DVD set a few years ago which includes the movies Alien, Alien bonus dvd, Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Ressurection. The Alien DVD is really good - it has commentary by Ridley Scott, and the bonus DVD is interesting. But the rest of the dvd's suck in terms of extras. They had the movie, a half hour featurette (the Alien 3 featurette didn't even have anything specific on Alien 3!), and that was it. The Aliens DVD had some slightly extra stuff like an interview with James Cameron, and a gallery.

But I was happy, because this is all there was available. I felt complete. At peace.

And now they have out this [url="http://dvd.ign.com/articles/457/457801p1.html"]Alien Quadrilogy DVD set[/url]. Having a look all the extras, I gotta say it completely kicks ass. All of the movies (except Alien 3) have director commentary. There's tonnes and tonnes of extra stuff, deleted scenes, not one but MANY (around 11) documentaries and featurettes for each movie, galleries, storyboards etc.. It has the new cut of Alien, and the original theatrical version of Aliens.

btw, David Fincher (director of Alien 3) was the only director not to give a director commentary.. the general consensus is that he hated the whole experience, and probably wants to detach himself away from Alien 3 as much as possible. [:)]

I just had to vent because now I will have to get it.

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 05/11/03 - 7:39 PM Permalink

Wow. It makes me glad that I procrastinated so much when thinking of that set. I love the Alien series (except for Res), but tat set always looked so dodgy. I will most defenitely be seeing Alien on the big screen.

A dl a preview of GITS 2 a while back and it did look very nice. I'm just glad that they decided to keep the same animation style. Also, if you haven't heard of it, you may want to hunt down the fan subs for Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex. VERY nice.

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 05/11/03 - 8:57 PM Permalink

My mate has the Aliens Legacy DVD set and is quite a big fan. He's not going to be too happy when i tell him about this new release! :P

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 05/11/03 - 10:00 PM Permalink

I'm gonna get Ghostbusters on DVD this week. Woo and Hoo.

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 05/11/03 - 10:15 PM Permalink

I had completely forgot that Ghostbusters had been released on DVD (and I know that it was ages ago as well). Just bought Waynes World Collection the other day. I still have to have a look for a Predator boxed set (I'm not sure if any actually exsist).

So many DVDs, so little shelf space (sigh).

Submitted by fuzzmeister on Thu, 06/11/03 - 12:00 PM Permalink

I was dissapointed recentley when i was going to purchase the aliens boxed set for around $60, i figured at that price the set was a steal... but i was too late and was told that it had been 'deleted' (from their database i guess). I suppose that has something to do with the new boxed set. (bet it won't be $60 though!)

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 06/11/03 - 1:16 PM Permalink

Wayne's World Collection - that's new to me. Strange to call it a collection, there's only two movies (actually two films using the same jokes).

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 06/11/03 - 6:59 PM Permalink

Yeah. It's just that it comes in a little art box. It was the first time I had sen nuber 2, and I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as 1. Still funny, but just not as good.

I also really want to buy all the Farscape boxed sets, but I really want to know how the Aus versions rate against the US ones. The US versions have twice as many DVDs in each set. The Aus version of season 1 has 4 discs, yet the US version is 8 discs. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 06/11/03 - 7:02 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Aven

The Aus version of season 1 has 4 discs, yet the US version is 8 discs. Does anyone know what the difference is?

4 Disks?

Sorry couldn't resist

Pantmonger

Edit (beaten to the punch line by less then a min)

Submitted by souri on Thu, 06/11/03 - 7:35 PM Permalink

There is a REALLY good website out there which catalogues all the new DVD's out and details on the extras they have. I'm sure there are a few websites like that around, but there was this excellant one I visited a few times (unfotunately I can't remember the website [:(])

btw, yeh, I agree - I'm glad they stuck to the same style with the Ghost in the Shell sequel. Have you seen the Manga? It looks like hentai. Can't wait for Ghost in the Shell - Innocence.. sure is a lot of 3D CGI though.

Speaking of Predator, the Alien VS Predator movie trailer is out. There's a script website that has the movie script already (I haven't read it), but the guys are saying it's going to be a pretty crap movie. [:(]

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 06/11/03 - 7:45 PM Permalink

I'm pretty sure that the features on the Aus and US version are the same, so I wonder if it is a quality thing? I know that the US versions do look very nice. Not too sure about the Aus ones. Pants, do you have a DVD-ROM at all? If so, could you load it up and see what the bit rate is?

I have the Collected Edition for GITS 1. Unfortunately I passed up on the oppurtunity to buy all eight comics when I was much younger (yeah I'm kicking myself). I only have one issue of the GITS2 commic. They seem to be taking their sweet time releasing them. Plus I think that a lot of collectors are jumping on this bandwagon, so they are more difficult to get (like the Transformers comics). I saw a VERY short clip of Innocence, it also looks like the animation style of GITS1 right?

You really should try to find the FanSubs of Stand Alone Complex though. Can I post sites to FanSubed anime? They aren't classed as illegal, but some people have 'issues' with them.

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 08/11/03 - 8:30 AM Permalink

Went into EB the other day and bought the final DVD for FLCL, including the box for the 3 DVDs. Kinda pissed off as they also have the boxed set to Fruits Basket that has just been released in Aus. I bought the first DVD from the states for AUS$70, and they have the whole Aus boxed set for $120 (crying). I really didn't think that it would make it over here.

A link for all the Zim fans here as well. http://www.animeondvd.com/news/pr.php?pr_view=262 :D

Posted by souri on
Forum

DAMNIT.. don't you hate it when this happens! I got me the Alien Legacy DVD set a few years ago which includes the movies Alien, Alien bonus dvd, Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Ressurection. The Alien DVD is really good - it has commentary by Ridley Scott, and the bonus DVD is interesting. But the rest of the dvd's suck in terms of extras. They had the movie, a half hour featurette (the Alien 3 featurette didn't even have anything specific on Alien 3!), and that was it. The Aliens DVD had some slightly extra stuff like an interview with James Cameron, and a gallery.

But I was happy, because this is all there was available. I felt complete. At peace.

And now they have out this [url="http://dvd.ign.com/articles/457/457801p1.html"]Alien Quadrilogy DVD set[/url]. Having a look all the extras, I gotta say it completely kicks ass. All of the movies (except Alien 3) have director commentary. There's tonnes and tonnes of extra stuff, deleted scenes, not one but MANY (around 11) documentaries and featurettes for each movie, galleries, storyboards etc.. It has the new cut of Alien, and the original theatrical version of Aliens.

btw, David Fincher (director of Alien 3) was the only director not to give a director commentary.. the general consensus is that he hated the whole experience, and probably wants to detach himself away from Alien 3 as much as possible. [:)]

I just had to vent because now I will have to get it.

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 05/11/03 - 7:39 PM Permalink

Wow. It makes me glad that I procrastinated so much when thinking of that set. I love the Alien series (except for Res), but tat set always looked so dodgy. I will most defenitely be seeing Alien on the big screen.

A dl a preview of GITS 2 a while back and it did look very nice. I'm just glad that they decided to keep the same animation style. Also, if you haven't heard of it, you may want to hunt down the fan subs for Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex. VERY nice.

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 05/11/03 - 8:57 PM Permalink

My mate has the Aliens Legacy DVD set and is quite a big fan. He's not going to be too happy when i tell him about this new release! :P

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Wed, 05/11/03 - 10:00 PM Permalink

I'm gonna get Ghostbusters on DVD this week. Woo and Hoo.

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 05/11/03 - 10:15 PM Permalink

I had completely forgot that Ghostbusters had been released on DVD (and I know that it was ages ago as well). Just bought Waynes World Collection the other day. I still have to have a look for a Predator boxed set (I'm not sure if any actually exsist).

So many DVDs, so little shelf space (sigh).

Submitted by fuzzmeister on Thu, 06/11/03 - 12:00 PM Permalink

I was dissapointed recentley when i was going to purchase the aliens boxed set for around $60, i figured at that price the set was a steal... but i was too late and was told that it had been 'deleted' (from their database i guess). I suppose that has something to do with the new boxed set. (bet it won't be $60 though!)

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Thu, 06/11/03 - 1:16 PM Permalink

Wayne's World Collection - that's new to me. Strange to call it a collection, there's only two movies (actually two films using the same jokes).

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 06/11/03 - 6:59 PM Permalink

Yeah. It's just that it comes in a little art box. It was the first time I had sen nuber 2, and I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as 1. Still funny, but just not as good.

I also really want to buy all the Farscape boxed sets, but I really want to know how the Aus versions rate against the US ones. The US versions have twice as many DVDs in each set. The Aus version of season 1 has 4 discs, yet the US version is 8 discs. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 06/11/03 - 7:02 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Aven

The Aus version of season 1 has 4 discs, yet the US version is 8 discs. Does anyone know what the difference is?

4 Disks?

Sorry couldn't resist

Pantmonger

Edit (beaten to the punch line by less then a min)

Submitted by souri on Thu, 06/11/03 - 7:35 PM Permalink

There is a REALLY good website out there which catalogues all the new DVD's out and details on the extras they have. I'm sure there are a few websites like that around, but there was this excellant one I visited a few times (unfotunately I can't remember the website [:(])

btw, yeh, I agree - I'm glad they stuck to the same style with the Ghost in the Shell sequel. Have you seen the Manga? It looks like hentai. Can't wait for Ghost in the Shell - Innocence.. sure is a lot of 3D CGI though.

Speaking of Predator, the Alien VS Predator movie trailer is out. There's a script website that has the movie script already (I haven't read it), but the guys are saying it's going to be a pretty crap movie. [:(]

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 06/11/03 - 7:45 PM Permalink

I'm pretty sure that the features on the Aus and US version are the same, so I wonder if it is a quality thing? I know that the US versions do look very nice. Not too sure about the Aus ones. Pants, do you have a DVD-ROM at all? If so, could you load it up and see what the bit rate is?

I have the Collected Edition for GITS 1. Unfortunately I passed up on the oppurtunity to buy all eight comics when I was much younger (yeah I'm kicking myself). I only have one issue of the GITS2 commic. They seem to be taking their sweet time releasing them. Plus I think that a lot of collectors are jumping on this bandwagon, so they are more difficult to get (like the Transformers comics). I saw a VERY short clip of Innocence, it also looks like the animation style of GITS1 right?

You really should try to find the FanSubs of Stand Alone Complex though. Can I post sites to FanSubed anime? They aren't classed as illegal, but some people have 'issues' with them.

Submitted by Aven on Sat, 08/11/03 - 8:30 AM Permalink

Went into EB the other day and bought the final DVD for FLCL, including the box for the 3 DVDs. Kinda pissed off as they also have the boxed set to Fruits Basket that has just been released in Aus. I bought the first DVD from the states for AUS$70, and they have the whole Aus boxed set for $120 (crying). I really didn't think that it would make it over here.

A link for all the Zim fans here as well. http://www.animeondvd.com/news/pr.php?pr_view=262 :D