Skip to main content

Urgent request for simple models

Submitted by Kezza on
Forum

Hi,
at this point i'm working on a subject at QUT that involves writing a 3d engine from scratch... this is the fist time they're run the unit and (so i'm one of the ginuea pigs for this).

The current part we have to make is a procedurally generated animation system, kinda like how character studio generates its walk cycles, but not that cool... and it's due on monday.

What I'm asking for is some test meshes for this system. Chances are you won't be able to just dig up your awsome models from the challenges here or whatnot, our engine has some pretty crappy restrictions atm (but it's only had about 2 weeks worth of work done on it).

The three meshes i would like are, but do what you will with them
1 (robot?) spider with articulated legs
2 human
3 some crazy little car

the other thing, if you wouldn't mind doing this as well... writing down for the joints the maximum and minimum angle (for x y and z from their default position in 'parent' coordinates) they should be able to move.

Restrictions (have a good laugh here)
1 No textures, and only phong material colours (diffuse colour, spec, amb)
2 No skel anim, all limbs and everything have to be strictly NWN style... a series of 100% rigid objects linked either to each other, or to dummy objects (no use of biped, but normal bone 'should' be ok)
3 3dsmax v5, umm, 4.2 is ok, i'm using my own exporters... i haven't tested them on files below 4.2
4 No hidden objects
5 if anything is made of geometry, its concidered part of a mesh (this includes any character studio objects, even footsteps... but character studio objects have no scale parameter... so the exporter crashes)
6 objects are linked using the subtree heighrachy, follow motion controllers etc won't work.
7 err, i'd say max polycount should be.... 12,000 tris for all 3 objects.

... due to the fact i'm 100% flat broke at this point. I can't offer any money or anything. However I'd be more than willing to send a copy of the finished project and the project in its next stage as well (could be good for a portfolio). Stuff like that.

Submitted by Kezza on Sat, 06/09/03 - 9:08 AM Permalink

it feels so good to know no one cares [xx(]

Submitted by davidcoen on Sat, 06/09/03 - 11:31 AM Permalink

i care, i just don't have time, think it is time for you to get some grid paper and paln out what you want, and model it in code
(vertex [10,20,30]...)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 06/09/03 - 7:58 PM Permalink

I dont think its a case of no one caring.
Your lack of responce would mainly come from the requirments list and that fact that most 3D artists dont like giving away their models for little reward.

Pantmonger

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 09/09/03 - 1:48 AM Permalink

kez: unfortunately it's apparent you're not getting anywhere with this request - maybe check free model resource lists such as 3dcafe, gamasutra exchange, etc etc?

If nothing else, you could resort to place holder cubes and spheres generated in code. I know, I know... not what you wanted to hear :)

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 09/09/03 - 7:37 AM Permalink

Yup, picked a bad time to ask..

anyone who is looking for a project to do, is probably working on the challenge.

Submitted by Kezza on Wed, 10/09/03 - 8:56 AM Permalink

Its ok, i whipped together a few things... had to hand it in yesterday

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 17/09/03 - 3:36 AM Permalink

Sorry to hear you never got your request met Kez - how'd it go?

Submitted by Kezza on Wed, 17/09/03 - 7:59 AM Permalink

models were ok, my programmer art is above average,
unfortunatley there was a late bug in the code that produced interesting results... so i'm not sure about the mark

Posted by Kezza on
Forum

Hi,
at this point i'm working on a subject at QUT that involves writing a 3d engine from scratch... this is the fist time they're run the unit and (so i'm one of the ginuea pigs for this).

The current part we have to make is a procedurally generated animation system, kinda like how character studio generates its walk cycles, but not that cool... and it's due on monday.

What I'm asking for is some test meshes for this system. Chances are you won't be able to just dig up your awsome models from the challenges here or whatnot, our engine has some pretty crappy restrictions atm (but it's only had about 2 weeks worth of work done on it).

The three meshes i would like are, but do what you will with them
1 (robot?) spider with articulated legs
2 human
3 some crazy little car

the other thing, if you wouldn't mind doing this as well... writing down for the joints the maximum and minimum angle (for x y and z from their default position in 'parent' coordinates) they should be able to move.

Restrictions (have a good laugh here)
1 No textures, and only phong material colours (diffuse colour, spec, amb)
2 No skel anim, all limbs and everything have to be strictly NWN style... a series of 100% rigid objects linked either to each other, or to dummy objects (no use of biped, but normal bone 'should' be ok)
3 3dsmax v5, umm, 4.2 is ok, i'm using my own exporters... i haven't tested them on files below 4.2
4 No hidden objects
5 if anything is made of geometry, its concidered part of a mesh (this includes any character studio objects, even footsteps... but character studio objects have no scale parameter... so the exporter crashes)
6 objects are linked using the subtree heighrachy, follow motion controllers etc won't work.
7 err, i'd say max polycount should be.... 12,000 tris for all 3 objects.

... due to the fact i'm 100% flat broke at this point. I can't offer any money or anything. However I'd be more than willing to send a copy of the finished project and the project in its next stage as well (could be good for a portfolio). Stuff like that.

Submitted by Kezza on Sat, 06/09/03 - 9:08 AM Permalink

it feels so good to know no one cares [xx(]

Submitted by davidcoen on Sat, 06/09/03 - 11:31 AM Permalink

i care, i just don't have time, think it is time for you to get some grid paper and paln out what you want, and model it in code
(vertex [10,20,30]...)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 06/09/03 - 7:58 PM Permalink

I dont think its a case of no one caring.
Your lack of responce would mainly come from the requirments list and that fact that most 3D artists dont like giving away their models for little reward.

Pantmonger

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 09/09/03 - 1:48 AM Permalink

kez: unfortunately it's apparent you're not getting anywhere with this request - maybe check free model resource lists such as 3dcafe, gamasutra exchange, etc etc?

If nothing else, you could resort to place holder cubes and spheres generated in code. I know, I know... not what you wanted to hear :)

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 09/09/03 - 7:37 AM Permalink

Yup, picked a bad time to ask..

anyone who is looking for a project to do, is probably working on the challenge.

Submitted by Kezza on Wed, 10/09/03 - 8:56 AM Permalink

Its ok, i whipped together a few things... had to hand it in yesterday

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 17/09/03 - 3:36 AM Permalink

Sorry to hear you never got your request met Kez - how'd it go?

Submitted by Kezza on Wed, 17/09/03 - 7:59 AM Permalink

models were ok, my programmer art is above average,
unfortunatley there was a late bug in the code that produced interesting results... so i'm not sure about the mark