Skip to main content

Web Hosting

Submitted by LiveWire on
Forum

i've done myself up a website for my portfolio, and now i'm looking to get it hosted.

anyone know of any cheep and good hosting services? i want my own domain name and enough space to host my folio, demo reel, and other downloads such as mods and game characters (unreal, etc).

[url]http://www.smartyhost.com.au/[/url] is the one we used for scootarama, and it seemed like a pretty good deal. can anyone offer any advice on what to look for or links?

Submitted by mcdrewski on Mon, 04/04/05 - 6:03 AM Permalink

I'm with snsonline.net and haven't had any problems.

I guess the only thingis that if you're hosting big content like reels, maps, mods and so-on you should ask about how you can cap the downloads in a given month (or so). Most providers give you a certain amount of downloads in a month, and bill after that. Just in case you get slashdotted or insanely popular for some reason, it'd be nice if your provider could gracefully deny people access rather than send you a bill for $x000 dollars for a month...

Submitted by TheBigJ on Mon, 04/04/05 - 9:05 PM Permalink

I've used [url]www.smartyhost.com.au[/url]'s services for a while and I've never had a problem with them. They offer a great deal - A decent amount of web space and a good 20GB/month bandwidth. They have a pretty decent set of site admin tools, so its possible you could set up something along the lines of mcdrewski's suggestion, but I would contact them to make sure before signing up.

Submitted by groovyone on Tue, 05/04/05 - 3:39 AM Permalink

I'm using www.hostdome.com

They are reliable and affordable.

It's $2.95 US / month for Bronze Plan - 1 gig download + 250meg storage.

Posted by LiveWire on
Forum

i've done myself up a website for my portfolio, and now i'm looking to get it hosted.

anyone know of any cheep and good hosting services? i want my own domain name and enough space to host my folio, demo reel, and other downloads such as mods and game characters (unreal, etc).

[url]http://www.smartyhost.com.au/[/url] is the one we used for scootarama, and it seemed like a pretty good deal. can anyone offer any advice on what to look for or links?

Submitted by mcdrewski on Mon, 04/04/05 - 6:03 AM Permalink

I'm with snsonline.net and haven't had any problems.

I guess the only thingis that if you're hosting big content like reels, maps, mods and so-on you should ask about how you can cap the downloads in a given month (or so). Most providers give you a certain amount of downloads in a month, and bill after that. Just in case you get slashdotted or insanely popular for some reason, it'd be nice if your provider could gracefully deny people access rather than send you a bill for $x000 dollars for a month...

Submitted by TheBigJ on Mon, 04/04/05 - 9:05 PM Permalink

I've used [url]www.smartyhost.com.au[/url]'s services for a while and I've never had a problem with them. They offer a great deal - A decent amount of web space and a good 20GB/month bandwidth. They have a pretty decent set of site admin tools, so its possible you could set up something along the lines of mcdrewski's suggestion, but I would contact them to make sure before signing up.

Submitted by groovyone on Tue, 05/04/05 - 3:39 AM Permalink

I'm using www.hostdome.com

They are reliable and affordable.

It's $2.95 US / month for Bronze Plan - 1 gig download + 250meg storage.