Skip to main content

New to Melbourne

Forum

Hi there,

I arrived in Melbourne last night and though I'm staying with a friend he's pretty tied up with work at the moment. I'm here hoping to meet with a few of the local game developers and ideally land a programming job, but I also want to have some fun.

So if anyone has any suggestions for cool things to do while I'm here I'd much appreciate it, I'd go see the racing this weekend but I really can't afford the ticket prices if I want to stay here very long. If anyone wants to meet up for a chat about games, life in general or anything that would be great too.

Also, as I said I'm looking for a game programming job so if you're looking for a coder I'm free to see you any time from, well, now onwards!

[:)]

Submitted by Jacana on Thu, 04/03/04 - 4:43 AM Permalink

Hey Barry :)

Hope all goes well in Melbourne for ya - and you may wanna put your application into BlueTongue as they are hiring.

Also, there are quite a few guys lurking around from Melbourne area on forums (a few active ones, too). May be worth seeing if you can organise an "official" meet-up.

Submitted by Red 5 on Thu, 04/03/04 - 5:45 AM Permalink

Hi Barry, how can you arrive in Melbourne a few days before the race and say you're not going? You have to do whatever it takes to get yourself in there... you won't regret it :)

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 04/03/04 - 9:31 AM Permalink

Good luck getting a reply from blue tongue...
And don't forget about the next gamedev meetup in melbourne in a couple weeks, on the 17th i think, but don't quote me on that.
http://gamedev.meetup.com
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 04/03/04 - 9:53 PM Permalink

welcome to the most livable city in the world ;) enjoy your stay

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Fri, 05/03/04 - 12:56 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by MoonUnit

welcome to the most livable city in the world ;)

People keep saying that, I've yet to figure out what it actually means... Though I must say the public transport is awesome, I must pick up a weekly pass some time.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 05/03/04 - 1:41 AM Permalink

well it kinda speaks for itself but it was some world judged competition thing a while ago, and melbrounites wont get over it unless were beaten in the next one (is there a next one? ive got no idea...) :P

Submitted by Red 5 on Fri, 05/03/04 - 3:16 AM Permalink

Funny thing is, you travel over to Europe and some cities their also claim to be the most livable in the world.
BTW, where did the judging take place... Melbourne by any chance? ;-) If you love unpredictable weather patterns then sure, Melbourne is very livable :o)

Submitted by codyalday on Fri, 05/03/04 - 3:26 AM Permalink

There is going to be a Quake 2 LAN party tinggy in the city, you should come if your into games, its not only Quake 2, but also games like Call of Duty. It is just to meet up, see the faces you play agaisnt, should be fun. I might go if i can get there. So if you are intrested, ill get you the details ok. Also, good luck in Melbourne, and with your life.

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 05/03/04 - 3:33 AM Permalink

Technically a report said that Adelaide was the best city to start a small business in Australia... It probably also said that it was the most liveable ....

Tho that depends on your definition of "liveable"..

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Fri, 05/03/04 - 5:57 AM Permalink

Well I've been here two days and only just managed to avoid melting in the insane heat... lucky I didn't go further north. Thanks for your good wishes!

:)

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 05/03/04 - 8:12 AM Permalink

Melbourne won most liveable in a worldwide competition, i can't remember who held it though. It got near top marks in every section, except weather, where it scored a medium score for being crazy :P
Other sections included environmental aspects such as air quality, water quality (you lose adelaide :) ), cost of living, leisure activities etc.
I think melbourne has won twice in a row btw. dunno how often itwas held.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 05/03/04 - 8:49 AM Permalink

it was a news reporter that put it best was that "melbounrne only really cares that we beat sydney" :P

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Sat, 06/03/04 - 8:30 AM Permalink

Bleh. A little advice for would be travellers, try not to get the flu the day after you arrive in a new country, it really takes all the excitement out of it.

/me crawls back into bed

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Sat, 06/03/04 - 11:46 AM Permalink

GoldFingers, The Mens Gellery, Bar 20, Kittens, Theres a list of places to got to for some wholesome family fun :D

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 06/03/04 - 12:13 PM Permalink

Or Hard Kandy, if your really keen [;)]

Forum

Hi there,

I arrived in Melbourne last night and though I'm staying with a friend he's pretty tied up with work at the moment. I'm here hoping to meet with a few of the local game developers and ideally land a programming job, but I also want to have some fun.

So if anyone has any suggestions for cool things to do while I'm here I'd much appreciate it, I'd go see the racing this weekend but I really can't afford the ticket prices if I want to stay here very long. If anyone wants to meet up for a chat about games, life in general or anything that would be great too.

Also, as I said I'm looking for a game programming job so if you're looking for a coder I'm free to see you any time from, well, now onwards!

[:)]

Submitted by Jacana on Thu, 04/03/04 - 4:43 AM Permalink

Hey Barry :)

Hope all goes well in Melbourne for ya - and you may wanna put your application into BlueTongue as they are hiring.

Also, there are quite a few guys lurking around from Melbourne area on forums (a few active ones, too). May be worth seeing if you can organise an "official" meet-up.

Submitted by Red 5 on Thu, 04/03/04 - 5:45 AM Permalink

Hi Barry, how can you arrive in Melbourne a few days before the race and say you're not going? You have to do whatever it takes to get yourself in there... you won't regret it :)

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 04/03/04 - 9:31 AM Permalink

Good luck getting a reply from blue tongue...
And don't forget about the next gamedev meetup in melbourne in a couple weeks, on the 17th i think, but don't quote me on that.
http://gamedev.meetup.com
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 04/03/04 - 9:53 PM Permalink

welcome to the most livable city in the world ;) enjoy your stay

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Fri, 05/03/04 - 12:56 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by MoonUnit

welcome to the most livable city in the world ;)

People keep saying that, I've yet to figure out what it actually means... Though I must say the public transport is awesome, I must pick up a weekly pass some time.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 05/03/04 - 1:41 AM Permalink

well it kinda speaks for itself but it was some world judged competition thing a while ago, and melbrounites wont get over it unless were beaten in the next one (is there a next one? ive got no idea...) :P

Submitted by Red 5 on Fri, 05/03/04 - 3:16 AM Permalink

Funny thing is, you travel over to Europe and some cities their also claim to be the most livable in the world.
BTW, where did the judging take place... Melbourne by any chance? ;-) If you love unpredictable weather patterns then sure, Melbourne is very livable :o)

Submitted by codyalday on Fri, 05/03/04 - 3:26 AM Permalink

There is going to be a Quake 2 LAN party tinggy in the city, you should come if your into games, its not only Quake 2, but also games like Call of Duty. It is just to meet up, see the faces you play agaisnt, should be fun. I might go if i can get there. So if you are intrested, ill get you the details ok. Also, good luck in Melbourne, and with your life.

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 05/03/04 - 3:33 AM Permalink

Technically a report said that Adelaide was the best city to start a small business in Australia... It probably also said that it was the most liveable ....

Tho that depends on your definition of "liveable"..

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Fri, 05/03/04 - 5:57 AM Permalink

Well I've been here two days and only just managed to avoid melting in the insane heat... lucky I didn't go further north. Thanks for your good wishes!

:)

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 05/03/04 - 8:12 AM Permalink

Melbourne won most liveable in a worldwide competition, i can't remember who held it though. It got near top marks in every section, except weather, where it scored a medium score for being crazy :P
Other sections included environmental aspects such as air quality, water quality (you lose adelaide :) ), cost of living, leisure activities etc.
I think melbourne has won twice in a row btw. dunno how often itwas held.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 05/03/04 - 8:49 AM Permalink

it was a news reporter that put it best was that "melbounrne only really cares that we beat sydney" :P

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Sat, 06/03/04 - 8:30 AM Permalink

Bleh. A little advice for would be travellers, try not to get the flu the day after you arrive in a new country, it really takes all the excitement out of it.

/me crawls back into bed

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Sat, 06/03/04 - 11:46 AM Permalink

GoldFingers, The Mens Gellery, Bar 20, Kittens, Theres a list of places to got to for some wholesome family fun :D

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 06/03/04 - 12:13 PM Permalink

Or Hard Kandy, if your really keen [;)]