Skip to main content

low poly grubber

low poly fun, based on a concept by funcom for the sequel to the longest journey, dreamfall. I probably spent a total of 3 days on it, mostly on the texture. crits welcome :)

[IMG]http://www.artbyshape.com/cgchat/shape_grubber_final.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by Kratos on Sat, 04/02/06 - 7:00 AM Permalink

Very nice. Will you be rigging him up ?

Submitted by eightbitnasty on Sat, 04/02/06 - 7:46 AM Permalink

Nah not for now, I threw in a really quick rig and he did ok so I'll just move on to a new model.

Submitted by Kratos on Sat, 04/02/06 - 7:52 AM Permalink

Will you be normal mapping your next model ?

Submitted by eightbitnasty on Sat, 04/02/06 - 8:52 AM Permalink

Yeah I think so :) My last next gen model was interrupted when my machine went down. I'll either pick that up again or start something fresh.

Submitted by ussmc on Tue, 07/02/06 - 12:55 AM Permalink

Nice textures....Do you know any sites for texturing?

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 07/02/06 - 3:28 AM Permalink

Nice work, like the model...
haha! I noticed you jioned CgChat for the Dominance War.....Bad move buddy!! Polycount is going soO going to kick your asses! :) (I plan on entering for Polycount myself)...BEH-RIIIING IT!!!

Submitted by eightbitnasty on Tue, 07/02/06 - 3:44 AM Permalink

ok Makk. This time it's not just CG vs PC. You're goin down buddy, and on your HOME TURF. YOU KNOW IT.

ussmc, what sort of thing do you want to know about? For this one I made a little palette of 6 or so skin colours, placed them down, added top down lighting while defining muscles etc and then overlayed/multiplied the lumpy and splodgy bits over the top. I painted true res to maintain the sharpness I painted in with small hard brushes.

Submitted by Kratos on Tue, 07/02/06 - 6:29 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by ussmc

You should look in the 2d tutorial thread in artist discussion section. Cgtalk also has a bundle of tutorials on their forums here http://forums.cgsociety.org/

Submitted by ussmc on Wed, 08/02/06 - 12:06 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by eightbitnasty

ok Makk. This time it's not just CG vs PC. You're goin down buddy, and on your HOME TURF. YOU KNOW IT.

ussmc, what sort of thing do you want to know about? For this one I made a little palette of 6 or so skin colours, placed them down, added top down lighting while defining muscles etc and then overlayed/multiplied the lumpy and splodgy bits over the top. I painted true res to maintain the sharpness I painted in with small hard brushes.

I'm crap with texturing. I wanted to know how you did those lumpy and splodgy bits. Thanks for the info.

Submitted by eightbitnasty on Wed, 08/02/06 - 12:53 AM Permalink

no probs.. do you have wacom? Some people are really great with a mouse but I find that tablets are really important for texturing.

For the lumpy bits (let's just say they are warts) I think I used two techniques. First one is to just pick a slightly lighter colour than the skin you want to place the wart onto, and in a new layer for your warts, just put down a few pixels of that lighter colour. This is the protruding bit that catches light from above. Then, pick a darker colour and paint it directly below, this give the impression that those pixels are in shadow, and below the light protruding part.

The other way is to create a new layer, lay down lots of light dots (using a hard brush with a large scatter), duplicate that layer, make it darker than the skin tone underneath, and move it slightly away from the light source. Has the same effect as the first method, but there is less variation as the dark parts are all duplicated so doesn't look as nice. Doing it this way is faster but I'd still go back and lightly smudge / erase some of the warts in both layers to add variation. Both layers can be set to overlay for ok results.

For the darker splodgy bits of skin, I picked a dark colour, and used a medium opacity brush to paint in the sort of patterning I wanted. In this case I feathered it out from a collection of large connected spots to smaller isolated ones, so it blended with the lighter skin tones (see shoulders -> pecs). Then this layer was set to multiply, and the layer opacity was adjusted to allow more of the shading and colour come from below. On top of this I put a slight noise layer to break things up a bit. Here's a little section near the top of the bicep.

[IMG]http://www.artbyshape.com/cgchat/texture_help.jpg[/IMG]

Hope that helps! Like I said the texture took way longer than the model and unwrap. It takes a while doing it this way rather than using photo overlays but with a wacom it's not too slow, and the results are more controlled.

Submitted by denz on Wed, 08/02/06 - 1:09 AM Permalink

heh, pretty sweet. reminds me of LoTR

Submitted by ussmc on Wed, 08/02/06 - 1:14 AM Permalink

That's a lot of typing you did. Thank you so much, this will help me a lot. I don't have a wacom but i'm considering buying one.

thanks again.

low poly fun, based on a concept by funcom for the sequel to the longest journey, dreamfall. I probably spent a total of 3 days on it, mostly on the texture. crits welcome :)

[IMG]http://www.artbyshape.com/cgchat/shape_grubber_final.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by Kratos on Sat, 04/02/06 - 7:00 AM Permalink

Very nice. Will you be rigging him up ?

Submitted by eightbitnasty on Sat, 04/02/06 - 7:46 AM Permalink

Nah not for now, I threw in a really quick rig and he did ok so I'll just move on to a new model.

Submitted by Kratos on Sat, 04/02/06 - 7:52 AM Permalink

Will you be normal mapping your next model ?

Submitted by eightbitnasty on Sat, 04/02/06 - 8:52 AM Permalink

Yeah I think so :) My last next gen model was interrupted when my machine went down. I'll either pick that up again or start something fresh.

Submitted by ussmc on Tue, 07/02/06 - 12:55 AM Permalink

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 07/02/06 - 3:28 AM Permalink

Nice work, like the model...
haha! I noticed you jioned CgChat for the Dominance War.....Bad move buddy!! Polycount is going soO going to kick your asses! :) (I plan on entering for Polycount myself)...BEH-RIIIING IT!!!

Submitted by eightbitnasty on Tue, 07/02/06 - 3:44 AM Permalink

Submitted by Kratos on Tue, 07/02/06 - 6:29 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by ussmc

You should look in the 2d tutorial thread in artist discussion section. Cgtalk also has a bundle of tutorials on their forums here http://forums.cgsociety.org/

Submitted by ussmc on Wed, 08/02/06 - 12:06 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by eightbitnasty

I'm crap with texturing. I wanted to know how you did those lumpy and splodgy bits. Thanks for the info.

Submitted by eightbitnasty on Wed, 08/02/06 - 12:53 AM Permalink

no probs.. do you have wacom? Some people are really great with a mouse but I find that tablets are really important for texturing.

For the lumpy bits (let's just say they are warts) I think I used two techniques. First one is to just pick a slightly lighter colour than the skin you want to place the wart onto, and in a new layer for your warts, just put down a few pixels of that lighter colour. This is the protruding bit that catches light from above. Then, pick a darker colour and paint it directly below, this give the impression that those pixels are in shadow, and below the light protruding part.

The other way is to create a new layer, lay down lots of light dots (using a hard brush with a large scatter), duplicate that layer, make it darker than the skin tone underneath, and move it slightly away from the light source. Has the same effect as the first method, but there is less variation as the dark parts are all duplicated so doesn't look as nice. Doing it this way is faster but I'd still go back and lightly smudge / erase some of the warts in both layers to add variation. Both layers can be set to overlay for ok results.

For the darker splodgy bits of skin, I picked a dark colour, and used a medium opacity brush to paint in the sort of patterning I wanted. In this case I feathered it out from a collection of large connected spots to smaller isolated ones, so it blended with the lighter skin tones (see shoulders -> pecs). Then this layer was set to multiply, and the layer opacity was adjusted to allow more of the shading and colour come from below. On top of this I put a slight noise layer to break things up a bit. Here's a little section near the top of the bicep.

[IMG]http://www.artbyshape.com/cgchat/texture_help.jpg[/IMG]

Hope that helps! Like I said the texture took way longer than the model and unwrap. It takes a while doing it this way rather than using photo overlays but with a wacom it's not too slow, and the results are more controlled.

Submitted by denz on Wed, 08/02/06 - 1:09 AM Permalink

heh, pretty sweet. reminds me of LoTR

Submitted by ussmc on Wed, 08/02/06 - 1:14 AM Permalink

That's a lot of typing you did. Thank you so much, this will help me a lot. I don't have a wacom but i'm considering buying one.

thanks again.