Skip to main content

3 guns

Submitted by MoonUnit on

i hope im right to post these here... considering the entire areas empty.

So hey guess what, im not dead! Just been having uni work swallow everything as per usual. Which is what these are, uni work. One of our classes focused around making a mod for UT2k4 over the length of the semester. Amongst other things like making a level (not really worth showing) i made guns, 3 of them in the end. Based on a steampunk theme. All models were to be used for a third person viewpoint, so fine detail wasnt incredibly necessary but im a perfectionist and often forgot that.

This was the first one i did, the design is 90% none of my doing. I just modelled, unwraped and textured it. I think its not a bad effort considering my general skill level, in particular i was worried for ages about the qaulity of the texture. All of the textures contain heavy photosourcing, this ones got the most original painted content of them all because its the first one i did and it was later it became more apparent the time constraints upon us and photosourcing was just a lot easier and faster.

Oh god, yeah i really hate this one. I had such a horrible time trying to design a crossbow that didnt look modern and logical. That and i was pressed for time and didnt get long to work on the texture at all, hence its horrible quality with allmost no edits in some sections. It also has a really excesive poly count, well you can see its faults for yourself :(

This one i actually quite like, its sorta the nice common ground. I didnt paint sections from scratch but i used my wacom for a lot of touch up work. I didnt spend ages doing shadowing or anything but the end result still looks pretty good. Also the models a cool 600ish tris, and the design i quite like. Its based upon merging the tommy gun with the stubby modern day SMG the PP-19 Bizon.

After being so silent for so long i felt like i should be posting something, however these arent necesairly the best examples of my skill at times. None the less id love to hear what people think of them.

Submitted by Hazza1 on Fri, 03/11/06 - 1:09 PM Permalink

they look great, how did you make the colour look so photo reality? Post tutorial please, i must know!(today)Hazza12006-11-03 02:11:56

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 06/11/06 - 2:10 PM Permalink

ok well apparently i was late with this one sorry about that. Ummm the colours look photorealistic because the majority of the images started as photos for two reasons, im only now learning to paint digitally and two its a lot faster. It looks like wood because its a photo of wood, you then go and edit that so it kinda fits the context, like the wood on the shotguns the best example. Thats actually two different photos of wood, one had a heavier grain so i think i had it on the soft light blending mode above the other one. Then i fiddled with values like brightness and contrast, hue and saturation, colour balance etc. After that some burning on the parts that were going to be on the underside of the gun and dodging on the upper stuff. And some other messing around but basicaly if you do wanna work with photo-sourcing (the term used for when you start with an image of a photo to make your texture) youll have a solid ground to start with and then just play around with it and if things dont work out you just ctrl Z and try something else. Sorry i cant provide a in depth tutorial because each segment would have been created in a different way, something to which i still dont have a clear path for because i just play around with what i know untill im satisfied with how it looks.

Posted by MoonUnit on

i hope im right to post these here... considering the entire areas empty.

So hey guess what, im not dead! Just been having uni work swallow everything as per usual. Which is what these are, uni work. One of our classes focused around making a mod for UT2k4 over the length of the semester. Amongst other things like making a level (not really worth showing) i made guns, 3 of them in the end. Based on a steampunk theme. All models were to be used for a third person viewpoint, so fine detail wasnt incredibly necessary but im a perfectionist and often forgot that.

This was the first one i did, the design is 90% none of my doing. I just modelled, unwraped and textured it. I think its not a bad effort considering my general skill level, in particular i was worried for ages about the qaulity of the texture. All of the textures contain heavy photosourcing, this ones got the most original painted content of them all because its the first one i did and it was later it became more apparent the time constraints upon us and photosourcing was just a lot easier and faster.

Oh god, yeah i really hate this one. I had such a horrible time trying to design a crossbow that didnt look modern and logical. That and i was pressed for time and didnt get long to work on the texture at all, hence its horrible quality with allmost no edits in some sections. It also has a really excesive poly count, well you can see its faults for yourself :(

This one i actually quite like, its sorta the nice common ground. I didnt paint sections from scratch but i used my wacom for a lot of touch up work. I didnt spend ages doing shadowing or anything but the end result still looks pretty good. Also the models a cool 600ish tris, and the design i quite like. Its based upon merging the tommy gun with the stubby modern day SMG the PP-19 Bizon.

After being so silent for so long i felt like i should be posting something, however these arent necesairly the best examples of my skill at times. None the less id love to hear what people think of them.

Submitted by Hazza1 on Fri, 03/11/06 - 1:09 PM Permalink

they look great, how did you make the colour look so photo reality? Post tutorial please, i must know!(today)Hazza12006-11-03 02:11:56

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 06/11/06 - 2:10 PM Permalink

ok well apparently i was late with this one sorry about that. Ummm the colours look photorealistic because the majority of the images started as photos for two reasons, im only now learning to paint digitally and two its a lot faster. It looks like wood because its a photo of wood, you then go and edit that so it kinda fits the context, like the wood on the shotguns the best example. Thats actually two different photos of wood, one had a heavier grain so i think i had it on the soft light blending mode above the other one. Then i fiddled with values like brightness and contrast, hue and saturation, colour balance etc. After that some burning on the parts that were going to be on the underside of the gun and dodging on the upper stuff. And some other messing around but basicaly if you do wanna work with photo-sourcing (the term used for when you start with an image of a photo to make your texture) youll have a solid ground to start with and then just play around with it and if things dont work out you just ctrl Z and try something else. Sorry i cant provide a in depth tutorial because each segment would have been created in a different way, something to which i still dont have a clear path for because i just play around with what i know untill im satisfied with how it looks.