Skip to main content

Average turnover time for character models?

Submitted by Makk on
Forum

I was wondering what the average time studios allot to complete a character model from start to finish. Say, a 3k model with 1024/multiple texture maps?
What about next gen characters, what would be the average time expected to complete one of them?

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 03/10/05 - 10:57 PM Permalink

Well I can talk from our point of view which I imagine would be different from most development houses.

Generic or typical FPS character -

Modelling & Unwrapping: 3000 Tri character - Day and a half max.
Texturing: per 1024 x 1024 - 2/3 days max.

Next Gen Monster ala Doom3

Modelling & Unwrapping: 8000 - 12000 Tri, 3-5 days.
High Poly Source: 5-10 days
Textures: Per 2048 x 2048, 3-5 days per sheet.

Almost no two jobs are the same, Its all based on style and detail level to be honest. A 3000 Tri, multi headed and tentacled beast would take longer than a human.

Even more so for next gen stuff, as weve worked on models everywhere from a clump of grass that has 500 tris and used 1024 textures, right up to super high detailed characters that required about 6 weeks of time to complete, the variation is just getting so big.

Lastly I'd just like to add, these times are based on our individual levels of skill and what we feel comfortable with while maintaining a high level of quality.

First and foremost advice I would offer is dont worry about how long it takes you to accomplish something, focus on achieveing a high level of quality first, because speed will come with repetition.

Posted by Makk on
Forum

I was wondering what the average time studios allot to complete a character model from start to finish. Say, a 3k model with 1024/multiple texture maps?
What about next gen characters, what would be the average time expected to complete one of them?

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 03/10/05 - 10:57 PM Permalink

Well I can talk from our point of view which I imagine would be different from most development houses.

Generic or typical FPS character -

Modelling & Unwrapping: 3000 Tri character - Day and a half max.
Texturing: per 1024 x 1024 - 2/3 days max.

Next Gen Monster ala Doom3

Modelling & Unwrapping: 8000 - 12000 Tri, 3-5 days.
High Poly Source: 5-10 days
Textures: Per 2048 x 2048, 3-5 days per sheet.

Almost no two jobs are the same, Its all based on style and detail level to be honest. A 3000 Tri, multi headed and tentacled beast would take longer than a human.

Even more so for next gen stuff, as weve worked on models everywhere from a clump of grass that has 500 tris and used 1024 textures, right up to super high detailed characters that required about 6 weeks of time to complete, the variation is just getting so big.

Lastly I'd just like to add, these times are based on our individual levels of skill and what we feel comfortable with while maintaining a high level of quality.

First and foremost advice I would offer is dont worry about how long it takes you to accomplish something, focus on achieveing a high level of quality first, because speed will come with repetition.