Skip to main content

Wacom graphics tablets - which one?

Submitted by LiveWire on
Forum

I'm looking at getting a graphcis tablet asap, and these are the best prices i've found so far (from the few places i've actually found that sell them).

the 4x5 is to small for my liking, so i'm thinkning of going with 6x8, and $240 for the graphire3 is about as much as want to pay, however i would like to know if the Intuos2 are really that much better, and if i should get that 6x8 one for $550? it's a bit much for my liking so i want to really be sure first.

also, i heard their might be a new series comming out, anyone know anything about this? and, does anyone know of any other brand tablets that are as good or better than wacoms?

Wacom Graphire3 4 x 5 with pen + software (silver, pink or sapphire metallic blue) USB - $125 inc.
Wacom Graphire3 6 x 8 with pen + software (sapphire blue) USB - $240 inc.
Wacom Intuos2 4 x 5 with pen + software (ice blue, deep purple) USB or Serial - $340 inc.
Wacom Intuos2 6 x 8 with pen + software (ice blue, deep purple) USB or Serial - $550 inc.
Wacom Intuos2 9 x 12 with pen + software (ice blue, deep purple) USB or Serial - $690 inc.
Wacom Intuos2 12 x 12 with pen or lens cursor + software (ice blue) USB or Serial - $690 inc.
Wacom Intuos2 12 x 18 with pen or lens cursor + software (ice blue) USB or Serial - $1,000 inc.

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 07/10/03 - 7:06 PM Permalink

I have to admit that i havent seen the Graphire3, so i cant speak on that.

The major differences between the Intuos and the Graphire have always been trivial. Up until the Graphire3, Grapires were only 4x5, if you wanted larger you had to go for an Intuos. Intuos also hav better stylus recognition. They had greater pressure sensitivity (more sensor levels) and better angle support (i dont think my Graphire1 has it full stop). Plus Intuos has more pens available for it, like the Airbrush pen that can supposidly mimic a real life airbrush really well (haven't tried it). So that's the technical differences between the two. I have used both and they are almost the same, but with the new version of Photoshop coming out soon, the extra pressure levels may come in good use.

The best way i can describe the size difference is that it is like your mouse sensitivity. I have used a 4x5 Graphire1 (my tablet), a 6x8 Intuos1 and a 12x12 Intuos1. Having a smaller tablet means that you can move the cursor from one side of the screen to the other with barely moving your hand. The larger ones mean that you have to move your whole arm to reach across. I personally like the 4x5 and 6x8, anything over that is just too much. Remember that you can always zoom in to get that extra fine detail with a smaller board.

Don't touch other brand tablets. they are $50 for a reason. The only competitors that i know of are sony with their LCD tablet (wacom also have them). Last i knew though, Sony only released theirs in Japan.

Hope that helps you out a fair bit. Although i use a 4x5 Graphire1, i am thinking of upgrading to a 6x8 Intuos2.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 07/10/03 - 10:39 PM Permalink

I think the intuos are better for more high end art stuff, eg working on super huge canvas sizes.. If you're working on game textures, the graphire is all you need.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 08/10/03 - 12:02 AM Permalink

For me the only difference between using a large or small tablet is line art.
If you are going to draw line art direct using your tablet then I find the larger tablets art useful as they give a better understanding of the space you are using, but for doing all the texture stuff, colouring scanned line art and the like I find a small one has no issues.

Pantmonger
Who uses a 4 x 5 at home and an A3 monster at work.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 08/10/03 - 7:18 PM Permalink

I have a monster one hehe.
Glutony is my sin of choice.

Submitted by Bite Me on Thu, 09/10/03 - 8:08 AM Permalink

I have an Intuos 4x5 (usb) thats has rarely been used,
(in fact I can show you the six pics I coloured in with it!)
I want to upgrade to Intuos 2, so i'm selling the first for $300

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 15/10/03 - 7:46 PM Permalink

I use Wacom Graphire2 4 x 5 for home use which is now sitting in my desk draw at work, I having found a need to use it because they just got me one for work which is Wacom Intuos2 4 x 5 I didn't think the extras were that cool for the extra cost but by hell I know I will never buy another Graphire. I'm a big fan of the small Wacom also, I have use a big one a few time I found myself use changing it to use only about a 1/4 of the Wacom usable face.

Maybe a big one it good for line drawing like Pants said but I use spline for my line draw when I'm using the computer so this has no effect for me.

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 17/10/03 - 5:23 AM Permalink

i ended up getting the G3 6x8, cos i tryed a friends 4x5 and that was too small, and then i heard that i dont realy need the extra features of the int. for texturing (even more so considering i am a long way from a texture artist), so bugger if i'm gonna pay twice the price for something i dont need. i didnt get any replyed to this thread so i just went out and got it, then a little over a week after i get it i decide to check out the forums and everyone one has replyed! at least i made the right choice it seams. i've been storming though my 2d assessment for tafe with it, something i couldn't get motiveted to do before hand.

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 17/10/03 - 6:27 AM Permalink

I'm glad you are happy with it. it just goes to show that a person only needs what they want. if you have no want for the extra features, then yeah, it was a good idea that you didn't buy the intuos. spend the left over cash on something else :D

Submitted by kingofdaveness on Mon, 20/10/03 - 11:06 PM Permalink

If your new to tablets, buy one that is the same aspect ratio and size as your monitor.
If you want rsi, get a smaller one. Larger ones help by forcing you to use your whole arm, rather than quick repettative motions of the wrist.

I use the Intuos II and I would say its the best Ive seen so far... the first purchase I made where I felt it was sooooooo worth it.

Posted by LiveWire on
Forum

I'm looking at getting a graphcis tablet asap, and these are the best prices i've found so far (from the few places i've actually found that sell them).

the 4x5 is to small for my liking, so i'm thinkning of going with 6x8, and $240 for the graphire3 is about as much as want to pay, however i would like to know if the Intuos2 are really that much better, and if i should get that 6x8 one for $550? it's a bit much for my liking so i want to really be sure first.

also, i heard their might be a new series comming out, anyone know anything about this? and, does anyone know of any other brand tablets that are as good or better than wacoms?

Wacom Graphire3 4 x 5 with pen + software (silver, pink or sapphire metallic blue) USB - $125 inc.
Wacom Graphire3 6 x 8 with pen + software (sapphire blue) USB - $240 inc.
Wacom Intuos2 4 x 5 with pen + software (ice blue, deep purple) USB or Serial - $340 inc.
Wacom Intuos2 6 x 8 with pen + software (ice blue, deep purple) USB or Serial - $550 inc.
Wacom Intuos2 9 x 12 with pen + software (ice blue, deep purple) USB or Serial - $690 inc.
Wacom Intuos2 12 x 12 with pen or lens cursor + software (ice blue) USB or Serial - $690 inc.
Wacom Intuos2 12 x 18 with pen or lens cursor + software (ice blue) USB or Serial - $1,000 inc.

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 07/10/03 - 7:06 PM Permalink

I have to admit that i havent seen the Graphire3, so i cant speak on that.

The major differences between the Intuos and the Graphire have always been trivial. Up until the Graphire3, Grapires were only 4x5, if you wanted larger you had to go for an Intuos. Intuos also hav better stylus recognition. They had greater pressure sensitivity (more sensor levels) and better angle support (i dont think my Graphire1 has it full stop). Plus Intuos has more pens available for it, like the Airbrush pen that can supposidly mimic a real life airbrush really well (haven't tried it). So that's the technical differences between the two. I have used both and they are almost the same, but with the new version of Photoshop coming out soon, the extra pressure levels may come in good use.

The best way i can describe the size difference is that it is like your mouse sensitivity. I have used a 4x5 Graphire1 (my tablet), a 6x8 Intuos1 and a 12x12 Intuos1. Having a smaller tablet means that you can move the cursor from one side of the screen to the other with barely moving your hand. The larger ones mean that you have to move your whole arm to reach across. I personally like the 4x5 and 6x8, anything over that is just too much. Remember that you can always zoom in to get that extra fine detail with a smaller board.

Don't touch other brand tablets. they are $50 for a reason. The only competitors that i know of are sony with their LCD tablet (wacom also have them). Last i knew though, Sony only released theirs in Japan.

Hope that helps you out a fair bit. Although i use a 4x5 Graphire1, i am thinking of upgrading to a 6x8 Intuos2.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 07/10/03 - 10:39 PM Permalink

I think the intuos are better for more high end art stuff, eg working on super huge canvas sizes.. If you're working on game textures, the graphire is all you need.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 08/10/03 - 12:02 AM Permalink

For me the only difference between using a large or small tablet is line art.
If you are going to draw line art direct using your tablet then I find the larger tablets art useful as they give a better understanding of the space you are using, but for doing all the texture stuff, colouring scanned line art and the like I find a small one has no issues.

Pantmonger
Who uses a 4 x 5 at home and an A3 monster at work.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 08/10/03 - 7:18 PM Permalink

I have a monster one hehe.
Glutony is my sin of choice.

Submitted by Bite Me on Thu, 09/10/03 - 8:08 AM Permalink

I have an Intuos 4x5 (usb) thats has rarely been used,
(in fact I can show you the six pics I coloured in with it!)
I want to upgrade to Intuos 2, so i'm selling the first for $300

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 15/10/03 - 7:46 PM Permalink

I use Wacom Graphire2 4 x 5 for home use which is now sitting in my desk draw at work, I having found a need to use it because they just got me one for work which is Wacom Intuos2 4 x 5 I didn't think the extras were that cool for the extra cost but by hell I know I will never buy another Graphire. I'm a big fan of the small Wacom also, I have use a big one a few time I found myself use changing it to use only about a 1/4 of the Wacom usable face.

Maybe a big one it good for line drawing like Pants said but I use spline for my line draw when I'm using the computer so this has no effect for me.

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 17/10/03 - 5:23 AM Permalink

i ended up getting the G3 6x8, cos i tryed a friends 4x5 and that was too small, and then i heard that i dont realy need the extra features of the int. for texturing (even more so considering i am a long way from a texture artist), so bugger if i'm gonna pay twice the price for something i dont need. i didnt get any replyed to this thread so i just went out and got it, then a little over a week after i get it i decide to check out the forums and everyone one has replyed! at least i made the right choice it seams. i've been storming though my 2d assessment for tafe with it, something i couldn't get motiveted to do before hand.

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 17/10/03 - 6:27 AM Permalink

I'm glad you are happy with it. it just goes to show that a person only needs what they want. if you have no want for the extra features, then yeah, it was a good idea that you didn't buy the intuos. spend the left over cash on something else :D

Submitted by kingofdaveness on Mon, 20/10/03 - 11:06 PM Permalink

If your new to tablets, buy one that is the same aspect ratio and size as your monitor.
If you want rsi, get a smaller one. Larger ones help by forcing you to use your whole arm, rather than quick repettative motions of the wrist.

I use the Intuos II and I would say its the best Ive seen so far... the first purchase I made where I felt it was sooooooo worth it.