Submitted by codyalday on
Forum

Might get this one.....

AMD 64 3400
Gigabyte K8NXP-9
2GB KIT DDR11533 KINGSTON
Gigabyte 256MB NX6600 TV/DVI
$1109

Just wondering, is it worth getting 2GIGS of RAM, or just 1 GIG? Also any other reconmendations. Thankaz in advanced.

Submitted by popawheelie on Sun, 04/09/05 - 1:08 AM Permalink

Nice. 1 gig is plenty but 2 is sweet (especially on high poly stuff, normal mapping etc.). Make sure u get a good power supply, antec/themotake. The cheap ones lie about their output, and sometimes burn all the expensive components.

pop

Submitted by codyalday on Sun, 04/09/05 - 4:10 AM Permalink

Talking to a friend on the internet, in which I have decided to get the following......

- Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI Motherboard and Gigabyte GV-3D1 Dual Geforce 6600GT video card bundle

- AMD ATHLON 64 3800+ (2.4GHZ, HYPERTRANSPORT, 64BIT, 512K CACHE SOCKET939) + RETAIL BOX

- OCZ PC-3200 Value Series Dual Channel DDR 1024mb Kit (2x 512mb) CL2.5

All up around $1308.

Submitted by mcdrewski on Sun, 04/09/05 - 4:34 AM Permalink

I've just bought something in the same ballpark:

MSI K8N SLI Platinum (Includes a Creative 5.1 Live onboard instead of the ubiquitous AC'97 chip)
AMD 3500+ (s939, 64bit)
1Gb mid-range "generic" RAM
Single 128Mb 6600GT (PCI-Express)

Also paid around 1300, but that also included the case+power supply, DVD burner, hard drive, keyboard and mouse. I found all the 'little bits' that make up a real computer took me above the original budget I'd set.

I'm stoked with it.

Submitted by Djenx on Sun, 04/09/05 - 9:16 PM Permalink

Looks like a great system codyalday, though if your planning on playing games like Battlefiled2, 1 gig of ram won't be enough. It uses 1gig + just to run of medium settings [V]

The 6600gt is a great GFX card but a warning for anyone thinking of picking up the AGP versions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Make sure you motherboard doesn't have an !!!!!SiS chipset!!!!!. I've got a gigabyte(GA-8s648FX(-L) mother board and a gigabyte 6600gt, yet i can't play any direct x game with out significant graphic artifacts, memory looping and crashing.

The good news is that it can be fixed with some significant tweaking & patching, how ever you need to use ancient graphics drivers which have problems with newer games [:(]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

on another note Nvidia just released driver version: 78.01 http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Submitted by codyalday on Mon, 05/09/05 - 4:03 AM Permalink

Thankaz for that Djenx, going to check into it more now.

Submitted by Leto on Mon, 05/09/05 - 7:49 PM Permalink

Uh...be a bit careful if you're going to go all out with Gigabyte stuff. The guys that built some of the PCs at my work made a point of telling us to steer clear of them, recommending ASUS and some other brand I can't recall at the moment. Now for all I know they're an ASUS reseller and just trying to drum up business, but from my limited experience, a number of friends and family have had constant, niggling problems with their PCs and invariably they've had Gigabyte kit in their machines. So it just seems to me that the only thing going for Gigabyte is that they're cheap.

Personally, I'd be investing in good quality parts even if it meant having to pay a bit more. But, hey, no doubt someone will have nothing but high praise for Gigabyte. Just something else to think about. [:)]

Submitted by codyalday on Tue, 06/09/05 - 8:10 AM Permalink

Thankaz for that Leto, I will sus that out soon.

Submitted by lorien on Tue, 06/09/05 - 8:45 AM Permalink

I bought a brand new gigabyte mobo a couple of years ago- an NForce 2, which had been flashed with the bios for a slightly different model (mine is a 400L, it was flashed with the 400l1 bios), lead to all sorts of hassles before I finally figure it out. Been going absolutely fine ever since.

Posted by codyalday on
Forum

Might get this one.....

AMD 64 3400
Gigabyte K8NXP-9
2GB KIT DDR11533 KINGSTON
Gigabyte 256MB NX6600 TV/DVI
$1109

Just wondering, is it worth getting 2GIGS of RAM, or just 1 GIG? Also any other reconmendations. Thankaz in advanced.

Submitted by popawheelie on Sun, 04/09/05 - 1:08 AM Permalink

Nice. 1 gig is plenty but 2 is sweet (especially on high poly stuff, normal mapping etc.). Make sure u get a good power supply, antec/themotake. The cheap ones lie about their output, and sometimes burn all the expensive components.

pop

Submitted by codyalday on Sun, 04/09/05 - 4:10 AM Permalink

Talking to a friend on the internet, in which I have decided to get the following......

- Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI Motherboard and Gigabyte GV-3D1 Dual Geforce 6600GT video card bundle

- AMD ATHLON 64 3800+ (2.4GHZ, HYPERTRANSPORT, 64BIT, 512K CACHE SOCKET939) + RETAIL BOX

- OCZ PC-3200 Value Series Dual Channel DDR 1024mb Kit (2x 512mb) CL2.5

All up around $1308.

Submitted by mcdrewski on Sun, 04/09/05 - 4:34 AM Permalink

I've just bought something in the same ballpark:

MSI K8N SLI Platinum (Includes a Creative 5.1 Live onboard instead of the ubiquitous AC'97 chip)
AMD 3500+ (s939, 64bit)
1Gb mid-range "generic" RAM
Single 128Mb 6600GT (PCI-Express)

Also paid around 1300, but that also included the case+power supply, DVD burner, hard drive, keyboard and mouse. I found all the 'little bits' that make up a real computer took me above the original budget I'd set.

I'm stoked with it.

Submitted by Djenx on Sun, 04/09/05 - 9:16 PM Permalink

Looks like a great system codyalday, though if your planning on playing games like Battlefiled2, 1 gig of ram won't be enough. It uses 1gig + just to run of medium settings [V]

The 6600gt is a great GFX card but a warning for anyone thinking of picking up the AGP versions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Make sure you motherboard doesn't have an !!!!!SiS chipset!!!!!. I've got a gigabyte(GA-8s648FX(-L) mother board and a gigabyte 6600gt, yet i can't play any direct x game with out significant graphic artifacts, memory looping and crashing.

The good news is that it can be fixed with some significant tweaking & patching, how ever you need to use ancient graphics drivers which have problems with newer games [:(]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

on another note Nvidia just released driver version: 78.01 http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Submitted by codyalday on Mon, 05/09/05 - 4:03 AM Permalink

Thankaz for that Djenx, going to check into it more now.

Submitted by Leto on Mon, 05/09/05 - 7:49 PM Permalink

Uh...be a bit careful if you're going to go all out with Gigabyte stuff. The guys that built some of the PCs at my work made a point of telling us to steer clear of them, recommending ASUS and some other brand I can't recall at the moment. Now for all I know they're an ASUS reseller and just trying to drum up business, but from my limited experience, a number of friends and family have had constant, niggling problems with their PCs and invariably they've had Gigabyte kit in their machines. So it just seems to me that the only thing going for Gigabyte is that they're cheap.

Personally, I'd be investing in good quality parts even if it meant having to pay a bit more. But, hey, no doubt someone will have nothing but high praise for Gigabyte. Just something else to think about. [:)]

Submitted by codyalday on Tue, 06/09/05 - 8:10 AM Permalink

Thankaz for that Leto, I will sus that out soon.

Submitted by lorien on Tue, 06/09/05 - 8:45 AM Permalink

I bought a brand new gigabyte mobo a couple of years ago- an NForce 2, which had been flashed with the bios for a slightly different model (mine is a 400L, it was flashed with the 400l1 bios), lead to all sorts of hassles before I finally figure it out. Been going absolutely fine ever since.