Skip to main content

Statue study

Submitted by conundrum on

[img]http://img69.echo.cx/img69/5416/comp17ep.jpg[/img]

This is a study i decided to do, basically its just a way to improve my head modelling. Normally i would look at other people's topography to do a face but i thought i'd try and do one where i figured it all out myself. I'm reasonably pleased with the result, here are a few views and a mesh.

The actual model came from a sculpture by Alessandro Algardi
[url]http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=13335[/url]
because its on an odd angle i had to keep rotating the model to check whether it was correct (I also used a front and side phtoto of Ian Holm as a quick guide). Nearing the end when i was doing the neck i wasn't as accurate as the face itself so its a bit off.

I'm planning on continuing the rest of his hair and hood (that was what drew me to the sculpture in the first place) and perhaps even do a full body and scene if its going well an i don't lose interest.

Submitted by Falco on Fri, 03/06/05 - 7:29 PM Permalink

That's really cool. The detail around his mouth and chin are amazing. My only concern is that his nostrils in the front view look like they have a sharp edge. Besides that I think it looks freakin awsome.

Makes me want to go and practice some high poly face modeling.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Fri, 03/06/05 - 7:48 PM Permalink

Great work so far, but a few things stand out for me. His lower eyelid seems to stick out further than his top eyelid which looks kind of odd to me, I think normally the top eyelid sticks out further, so maybe just pull it further down and back following the curve of the eyeball. He seems a bit more jowly (chubby) in the photo of the statue than in your model. Lastly, the area between his nose and his eyes seems too prominent and looks like it should be pulled back and given more depth.

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 03/06/05 - 10:10 PM Permalink

thanks a lot, i'll try and fix most of both of your pointers, except perhaps the chubbiness, i've become less fussed about accuracy mainly its quite difficult to get the chubbiness and the thin neck of the statue

Submitted by Lechy on Sat, 04/06/05 - 8:13 AM Permalink

That looks great, I don't think there is anything wrong with it as far as the facial features go. Unless he's ment to be sexy. Prominent area between eyes and nose, bah! I know a few people like that and it dosen't look wrong at all.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 05/06/05 - 10:39 PM Permalink

thats looking great one of the things the face really needs to concrete it as the same face on the statue is the hair i think, right now it just looks like a different face slighty because the head is bald.

Submitted by conundrum on Mon, 06/06/05 - 1:39 AM Permalink

yeah i think you're right about the hair, i've been putting it of cause i'm not quite sure how to approach it

Submitted by denz on Mon, 06/06/05 - 3:22 AM Permalink

cool mate. looking good. A problem that stands out to me is the nose. It looks like there is no cartilage there. keep it up :)

Submitted by adie on Mon, 06/06/05 - 11:40 PM Permalink

looking good but still looks too manly,,the brow dosent come out enuff or the eyes are too boggaly and The ears are just plain wong !! look at your ear or frends to see where you have gone wrong. hope this helps[:D]

Submitted by denz on Tue, 05/07/05 - 11:22 PM Permalink

definately nicer lighting, rendering.

I like the hood. a few areas on the face that are too sharp for my liking.

looking good, keep it up :)

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 06/07/05 - 1:18 AM Permalink

just a quick general tip. the seperation of the muzzle and cheeks, the line that runs from the nose to next to the lips generally forms a gradual definition in and out. So... ascii art to demonstrate! something like:

...---=====---...

other than that, it usually curls down with the flow of the muzzles muscles rather than the cheeks. The smile line forming muscle [:)] oh, and bunk up your shadow res!

Submitted by conundrum on Wed, 06/07/05 - 1:25 AM Permalink

thanks for the help, i definately need to fix up that heavy line, and i'll look into all the other suggestions.

Submitted by adie on Fri, 08/07/05 - 6:26 AM Permalink

um dude thats a woman not a man.. Portrait of Olimpia Pamphilj that a womans name

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 08/07/05 - 8:43 AM Permalink

lol, my mistake, i did think it looked slightly wierd but it never really clicked. That makes one of your previous comments make a lot more sense as well, plus the name is also a bit of a giveaway. thanks for the correction though, you've saved me from making myself look any more ignorant.

Submitted by Ponkavitch on Sat, 09/07/05 - 12:35 AM Permalink

Its the "Two weeks" woman from Total Recall!

Posted by conundrum on

[img]http://img69.echo.cx/img69/5416/comp17ep.jpg[/img]

This is a study i decided to do, basically its just a way to improve my head modelling. Normally i would look at other people's topography to do a face but i thought i'd try and do one where i figured it all out myself. I'm reasonably pleased with the result, here are a few views and a mesh.

The actual model came from a sculpture by Alessandro Algardi
[url]http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=13335[/url]
because its on an odd angle i had to keep rotating the model to check whether it was correct (I also used a front and side phtoto of Ian Holm as a quick guide). Nearing the end when i was doing the neck i wasn't as accurate as the face itself so its a bit off.

I'm planning on continuing the rest of his hair and hood (that was what drew me to the sculpture in the first place) and perhaps even do a full body and scene if its going well an i don't lose interest.

Submitted by Falco on Fri, 03/06/05 - 7:29 PM Permalink

That's really cool. The detail around his mouth and chin are amazing. My only concern is that his nostrils in the front view look like they have a sharp edge. Besides that I think it looks freakin awsome.

Makes me want to go and practice some high poly face modeling.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Fri, 03/06/05 - 7:48 PM Permalink

Great work so far, but a few things stand out for me. His lower eyelid seems to stick out further than his top eyelid which looks kind of odd to me, I think normally the top eyelid sticks out further, so maybe just pull it further down and back following the curve of the eyeball. He seems a bit more jowly (chubby) in the photo of the statue than in your model. Lastly, the area between his nose and his eyes seems too prominent and looks like it should be pulled back and given more depth.

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 03/06/05 - 10:10 PM Permalink

thanks a lot, i'll try and fix most of both of your pointers, except perhaps the chubbiness, i've become less fussed about accuracy mainly its quite difficult to get the chubbiness and the thin neck of the statue

Submitted by Lechy on Sat, 04/06/05 - 8:13 AM Permalink

That looks great, I don't think there is anything wrong with it as far as the facial features go. Unless he's ment to be sexy. Prominent area between eyes and nose, bah! I know a few people like that and it dosen't look wrong at all.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 05/06/05 - 10:39 PM Permalink

thats looking great one of the things the face really needs to concrete it as the same face on the statue is the hair i think, right now it just looks like a different face slighty because the head is bald.

Submitted by conundrum on Mon, 06/06/05 - 1:39 AM Permalink

yeah i think you're right about the hair, i've been putting it of cause i'm not quite sure how to approach it

Submitted by denz on Mon, 06/06/05 - 3:22 AM Permalink

cool mate. looking good. A problem that stands out to me is the nose. It looks like there is no cartilage there. keep it up :)

Submitted by adie on Mon, 06/06/05 - 11:40 PM Permalink

looking good but still looks too manly,,the brow dosent come out enuff or the eyes are too boggaly and The ears are just plain wong !! look at your ear or frends to see where you have gone wrong. hope this helps[:D]

Submitted by denz on Tue, 05/07/05 - 11:22 PM Permalink

definately nicer lighting, rendering.

I like the hood. a few areas on the face that are too sharp for my liking.

looking good, keep it up :)

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 06/07/05 - 1:18 AM Permalink

just a quick general tip. the seperation of the muzzle and cheeks, the line that runs from the nose to next to the lips generally forms a gradual definition in and out. So... ascii art to demonstrate! something like:

...---=====---...

other than that, it usually curls down with the flow of the muzzles muscles rather than the cheeks. The smile line forming muscle [:)] oh, and bunk up your shadow res!

Submitted by conundrum on Wed, 06/07/05 - 1:25 AM Permalink

thanks for the help, i definately need to fix up that heavy line, and i'll look into all the other suggestions.

Submitted by adie on Fri, 08/07/05 - 6:26 AM Permalink

um dude thats a woman not a man.. Portrait of Olimpia Pamphilj that a womans name

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 08/07/05 - 8:43 AM Permalink

lol, my mistake, i did think it looked slightly wierd but it never really clicked. That makes one of your previous comments make a lot more sense as well, plus the name is also a bit of a giveaway. thanks for the correction though, you've saved me from making myself look any more ignorant.

Submitted by Ponkavitch on Sat, 09/07/05 - 12:35 AM Permalink

Its the "Two weeks" woman from Total Recall!