Skip to main content

Army Guy WIP

Submitted by Falco on

I found a wire frame pic of a model done buy James Brian Jones (aka)BoBo the seal, and found that multiple people had had a go at texturing it. I wanted to have a go at it as well so I made the model from the pic, unwraped it and now I'm texturing it. It's still early day's yet, and I don't want to rush the texture, but if anyone has any comments on the work so far please let me know.

I think when I finish I'll try getting him into UT 2004
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/415_Brunt_FaceL.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Falco/20056300120_Brunt_Front_Ba…]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/415_Brunt_Face_TextureL.jpg[/img]

Submitted by denz on Fri, 01/07/05 - 3:22 AM Permalink

looking cool. like the face, has lota character to it

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Fri, 01/07/05 - 6:29 AM Permalink

Yeah cool texturing, but it looks like an excessive amount of dodge and burn to me :/

Submitted by Lechy on Fri, 01/07/05 - 6:37 AM Permalink

Aye, perhaps a different colour in the shadows will make it look more natural.

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 01/07/05 - 8:33 AM Permalink

May help somewhat, but here's a crash course on skin tones, taken from my notes:

Skin tones are an art in and of themselves - General rule of thumb when it comes to skin tones is that it's the complete opposite to most every other material in colour temperatures; skin is cooler in its bright/high ranges, warmer in its low/dark ranges.

Saturation ramps off in a bell curve from the transmissive properties that the translucent layers of flesh fat and tissue give. It has a high falloff range for this, so thick and thin areas are very different in comparison.

Since skin itself is extremely thin and see through, most of the time you're looking at the structure underneath; because of this there are many local points of interest where the underlying structure gives different visible results - the "puffy" look of the eyes, the softer look of the cartledge of the nose, the redder areas of extremities where blood is circulated more flush and closer to the surface, the stripping of sinew etc.

Generally, highlights are cooler and secondary highlighting occurs from extreme glancing angles from the reflective properties of the oiliness.

I'll probably be compiling these pretty soon with pics to illustrate the points, but for now I hope at least some of it made sense and helps you out.

Submitted by Falco on Fri, 01/07/05 - 8:12 PM Permalink

Thanks for all the advise every one, I cant wait to see those pics Joel, they would help out alot.

I was tryin to give a slightly cartoonish feel to him because I had given up trying to get a perfect skin tone for him, so I went over the top with the shadowing of his face to make look more over the top. He does have alot of obvious problems that I found hard to correct because I could not find any reference pics of the face I wanted. I even took many photos of my own face but the lighting wasn't good and when I painted it onto the model it looked all wrong.

If any one knows of websites with pictures of peoples faces are please let me know because I do my best work with realy good reference art. thanx

ps. thems my lips [:)]

Submitted by AntsZ on Fri, 01/07/05 - 9:14 PM Permalink

he reminds me of gun jack from tekken, cool looking model dude, keep it up

Submitted by Lechy on Fri, 01/07/05 - 9:36 PM Permalink

Great stuff Joel, a tut would be real handy.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 09/07/05 - 4:24 AM Permalink

wouldnt mind a pair :D only crit is that ring is allmost white and really stands out against the other greys (not nesacarily a completely awfull thing, especially if your going for over the top but still probably too much because when it gets too white, it stops looking like metal), id suggest toning it down a bit.

Posted by Falco on

I found a wire frame pic of a model done buy James Brian Jones (aka)BoBo the seal, and found that multiple people had had a go at texturing it. I wanted to have a go at it as well so I made the model from the pic, unwraped it and now I'm texturing it. It's still early day's yet, and I don't want to rush the texture, but if anyone has any comments on the work so far please let me know.

I think when I finish I'll try getting him into UT 2004
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/415_Brunt_FaceL.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Falco/20056300120_Brunt_Front_Ba…]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/415_Brunt_Face_TextureL.jpg[/img]

Submitted by denz on Fri, 01/07/05 - 3:22 AM Permalink

looking cool. like the face, has lota character to it

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Fri, 01/07/05 - 6:29 AM Permalink

Yeah cool texturing, but it looks like an excessive amount of dodge and burn to me :/

Submitted by Lechy on Fri, 01/07/05 - 6:37 AM Permalink

Aye, perhaps a different colour in the shadows will make it look more natural.

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 01/07/05 - 8:33 AM Permalink

May help somewhat, but here's a crash course on skin tones, taken from my notes:

Skin tones are an art in and of themselves - General rule of thumb when it comes to skin tones is that it's the complete opposite to most every other material in colour temperatures; skin is cooler in its bright/high ranges, warmer in its low/dark ranges.

Saturation ramps off in a bell curve from the transmissive properties that the translucent layers of flesh fat and tissue give. It has a high falloff range for this, so thick and thin areas are very different in comparison.

Since skin itself is extremely thin and see through, most of the time you're looking at the structure underneath; because of this there are many local points of interest where the underlying structure gives different visible results - the "puffy" look of the eyes, the softer look of the cartledge of the nose, the redder areas of extremities where blood is circulated more flush and closer to the surface, the stripping of sinew etc.

Generally, highlights are cooler and secondary highlighting occurs from extreme glancing angles from the reflective properties of the oiliness.

I'll probably be compiling these pretty soon with pics to illustrate the points, but for now I hope at least some of it made sense and helps you out.

Submitted by Falco on Fri, 01/07/05 - 8:12 PM Permalink

Thanks for all the advise every one, I cant wait to see those pics Joel, they would help out alot.

I was tryin to give a slightly cartoonish feel to him because I had given up trying to get a perfect skin tone for him, so I went over the top with the shadowing of his face to make look more over the top. He does have alot of obvious problems that I found hard to correct because I could not find any reference pics of the face I wanted. I even took many photos of my own face but the lighting wasn't good and when I painted it onto the model it looked all wrong.

If any one knows of websites with pictures of peoples faces are please let me know because I do my best work with realy good reference art. thanx

ps. thems my lips [:)]

Submitted by AntsZ on Fri, 01/07/05 - 9:14 PM Permalink

he reminds me of gun jack from tekken, cool looking model dude, keep it up

Submitted by Lechy on Fri, 01/07/05 - 9:36 PM Permalink

Great stuff Joel, a tut would be real handy.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 09/07/05 - 4:24 AM Permalink

wouldnt mind a pair :D only crit is that ring is allmost white and really stands out against the other greys (not nesacarily a completely awfull thing, especially if your going for over the top but still probably too much because when it gets too white, it stops looking like metal), id suggest toning it down a bit.