Skip to main content

Hardware Problem

Submitted by bullet21 on
Forum

Ok i've got a few problems and i'm hoping someone here can help.
I've got an IBM netvista. I have no idea what motherboard i have ( I would like to find out). I have a P4 1.5 Ghz processor, have no idea what kind of FSB i have (Would like to find out).

Recently i had 2 x 512 PC 133 sticks added to my 128 pc133. Some times the computer freezes and takes you to a blue screen which says that windows shut down to prevent damage to the system and it also has a timer or something saying dumping physical memory or something. I don't think it's faulty ram because i have tried new ones. the 128 is single sided and the other two are double sided though i don't think this matters seeing as they ar both 133. can someone attempt to help me with all these issues.

oh and i am thinking of buying a new motherboard. (I have a low budget of 180) i want it to be able to have a P4 800 FSB processor and don't want to have to buy new memory (I just upgrade my memory it is PC133). Can you tell me a good board.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 02/01/04 - 9:33 AM Permalink

First thing I suggest is posting this on a tech support forum. The ones at pcpowerplay.com helped when I was having troubles.
It's recommended you work out your mother board first.. It'll be written on the board.. so open your case and have a look.. Write it down and slap it into google..

Sounds like dodgy ram though..

Second. Did you take out the ram? If it's still crashing, you should be able to rule it out.. If you remove the ram, and the crashes stop happening, problem solved.

If thats not your problem, it may be caused by a number of things.. Temperature stands out as a possibility, they can cause blue screens of death. It could also be a majorly rooted file causing you problems. That about exhausted my knowledge of computers.

http://www.eyo.com.au/
Prices.. This is where I buy my crap from.. They're slightly more expensive then say, computer fairs and classifieds, but they are backed up with warranty.. Either way, it'll give you an estimate of what you can afford.

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 02/01/04 - 2:17 PM Permalink

First thing I'd check would be the motherboard manual, to make sure that you're inserting the RAM into the correct slots on the motherboard, the motherboards are usually picky about what RAM can go where, and what combinations you are allowed to have. Although if your computer starts it shouldn't be a problem.

I kinda had this problem with another computer recently, and I would recommend getting a memory debugger program, memtest x86 or something like that. A friend of mine got it and I have a copy burnt onto CD that I use for testing machines.

Also if you want to upgrade your computer and you only have PC133 RAM - not DDR333 (PC2700) or DDR266 (PC2100) then you won't be able to, new motherboards - especially Pentium 4 and Athlon XP boards require DDR266+ RAM, so you kinda made a mistake upgrading the RAM right now. Actually I don't think I know *any* Pentium 4 800FSB motherboards that use PC133 RAM, and if they did the system would be downright dog slow too!

Posted by bullet21 on
Forum

Ok i've got a few problems and i'm hoping someone here can help.
I've got an IBM netvista. I have no idea what motherboard i have ( I would like to find out). I have a P4 1.5 Ghz processor, have no idea what kind of FSB i have (Would like to find out).

Recently i had 2 x 512 PC 133 sticks added to my 128 pc133. Some times the computer freezes and takes you to a blue screen which says that windows shut down to prevent damage to the system and it also has a timer or something saying dumping physical memory or something. I don't think it's faulty ram because i have tried new ones. the 128 is single sided and the other two are double sided though i don't think this matters seeing as they ar both 133. can someone attempt to help me with all these issues.

oh and i am thinking of buying a new motherboard. (I have a low budget of 180) i want it to be able to have a P4 800 FSB processor and don't want to have to buy new memory (I just upgrade my memory it is PC133). Can you tell me a good board.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 02/01/04 - 9:33 AM Permalink

First thing I suggest is posting this on a tech support forum. The ones at pcpowerplay.com helped when I was having troubles.
It's recommended you work out your mother board first.. It'll be written on the board.. so open your case and have a look.. Write it down and slap it into google..

Sounds like dodgy ram though..

Second. Did you take out the ram? If it's still crashing, you should be able to rule it out.. If you remove the ram, and the crashes stop happening, problem solved.

If thats not your problem, it may be caused by a number of things.. Temperature stands out as a possibility, they can cause blue screens of death. It could also be a majorly rooted file causing you problems. That about exhausted my knowledge of computers.

http://www.eyo.com.au/
Prices.. This is where I buy my crap from.. They're slightly more expensive then say, computer fairs and classifieds, but they are backed up with warranty.. Either way, it'll give you an estimate of what you can afford.

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 02/01/04 - 2:17 PM Permalink

First thing I'd check would be the motherboard manual, to make sure that you're inserting the RAM into the correct slots on the motherboard, the motherboards are usually picky about what RAM can go where, and what combinations you are allowed to have. Although if your computer starts it shouldn't be a problem.

I kinda had this problem with another computer recently, and I would recommend getting a memory debugger program, memtest x86 or something like that. A friend of mine got it and I have a copy burnt onto CD that I use for testing machines.

Also if you want to upgrade your computer and you only have PC133 RAM - not DDR333 (PC2700) or DDR266 (PC2100) then you won't be able to, new motherboards - especially Pentium 4 and Athlon XP boards require DDR266+ RAM, so you kinda made a mistake upgrading the RAM right now. Actually I don't think I know *any* Pentium 4 800FSB motherboards that use PC133 RAM, and if they did the system would be downright dog slow too!