Weta Digital's ground-breaking Special Projects development team is seeking Mid to Senior level Software Generalists and Mobile Developers like you, with a passion for emerging creative technologies. You will be working closely with artists, and truly pushing the limits of technology to bring new forms of entertainment to the world.
- Be a key contributor in the development of several real time projects and the technologies that drive them;
- Collaborate on multiple areas of development: game prototyping to production tools, game logic to graphics and productivity scripts to low level optimization;
- Work with cutting edge unreleased software, developing techniques and tools to create high-quality real-time content;
- Write clear, maintainable, scalable, and highly functional code;
- Work closely with artists and designers to solve problems and ensure quality between design and code;
- Be willing to be a generalist when necessary, tackling general, editor, engine, builds or tool tasks;
As a Generalist Unreal Engine Software Developer at Weta Digital, you will:
- Evaluate and recommend emerging technologies and middleware;
- Work directly with customers and escalate any issues or improvement opportunities.
As a Mobile Unreal Engine Software Developer at Weta Digital you will:
- Understand Mobile GPU/CPUs and how to optimize for them;
- Integrate new and emerging technologies into Unreal Engine;
- Focus mainly on mobile deliverables, but also be a key part of the team and turn your keen mind to other tasks as needed;
Desired Skills & Experience:
- BSc Degree in a Computer Science/ Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Several years professional experience as a developer in the Game, Film, VR or AR Industries
- Excellent software engineering skills, including the ability to design, implement, debug and optimize high quality real time software
- An excellent understanding of algorithms, data structures and 3D mathematics
- Extensive knowledge of C++, and a good knowledge in at least one of Objective-C, Swift, C# or Python
- A good general knowledge of all areas of real time interactive software development, including 3D graphics & 3D graphics APIs, physics & collisions systems, networking, audio, artificial intelligence, animation, game logic and user interfaces
- Experience using game engines such as Unreal or Unity
- Experience integrating third party middleware into Unreal or Unity. Prior shipped projects with Unreal is a plus.
- Experience with large code bases and you can work on code that you didn't write. Experience optimizing code and data to improve both memory consumption and execution speed.
- Strong programming generalist with a passion for learning
- Thrive in a fast-paced, innovative and creative environment.
- Communicate clearly, work well in teams, and be able to work smartly, quickly and efficiently in time sensitive situations. Open to mentoring, leading or guiding team members when necessary.
- Have a passion for emerging creative technologies.
Additional Mobile Skills & Experience:
- An excellent understanding of iOS SDKs and APIs, XCode and Instruments
- A good understanding of social media APIs and how to leverage them
Remote applications are welcome, however, this role will require you to align with our NZ Monday to Friday work hours and be open to relocating to Wellington, NZ once borders reopen.
Weta Digital is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate our diversity and believe in creating an environment where all our crew feel welcomed, respected, supported and appreciated.
If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you! Please apply directly here: https://careers.wetafx.co.nz/jobs/956