Buy Somewhere is a Sydney-based games and technology studio working on its first mobile title, a genre-defining location-based game. To support this game, we're building market-leading world generation systems.
These are big goals, and our talented team needs a fast and talented 3D Animator to help us bring life to our cities through animated props and interesting characters.
Do you love finding ways to apply the classic principles of animation to 3D rigged characters and props? Do you find yourself staring at the way things move in the physical world and wondering how you can recreate that in 3D? Then you may be the animator for us!
We're looking for a 3D Animator with STRONG character animation skills and a passion for creating dynamic and evocative animations. Maya experience is required. The ideal animator would be comfortable working fast under tight deadlines and can face the excitement and intensity of game production with humour and a desire to find interesting solutions to all the weird problems that can come up later in production.
As a 3D Animator on our team, you will:
- - Work with the art team to find creative solutions to technical challenges
- Follow the art direction approved by design and production
- Create animations within the constraints required by a procedural generation engine (don't worry we can teach you how to do this if you've never done it before!)
- Animate characters with a variety of looped animations (ex: walk, run, attack, flee, defeat, win, etc)
- Assist in creating production stills and videos for promotion of the game
- Undertake a professional development pathway and share knowledge gained with the rest of the art team
We often wear many hats on these projects! Potential responsibilities also include:
- - Modelling and texturing
- Creation and rendering of VFX to sprite sheets
- Camera animation and post processing
We seek someone who has:
- - Demonstrable understanding of the 12 principals of animation
- Demonstrable understanding of the physics
- Demonstrable understanding of mise en scene, personality and drama
- Experience animating characters in Maya
- Experience importing animated characters into a game engine
- Experience in a rapid production pipeline like games, television or film
- A great attitude and a sense of humour
- Understanding of prioritisation and sequencing of tasks on a games project
- Problem-solving and decision-making ability
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- - You've implemented content in Unity and done some gameplay scripting around animation triggers.
- You're as comfortable animating characters as you are VFX.
- You love comic book action.
- You’ve worked in free-to-play and/or mobile development before.
- You know Confluence and Jira.
- - A place on a fully-funded, collaborative team
- Pay based on experience
- A chance to develop a game from start to years into live service
- An opportunity to grow into more responsibilities as the team expands.
- Relocation support. While Sydney-based applicants are preferred, we are open to applicants Australia-wide. You must be authorized to work in Australia as a citizen, permanent resident or current holder of a 457 visa.
Do you see yourself in this?
We’d love to get your resume at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a list of your published projects and any relevant links.
APPLICATIONS REQUIRE A DEMO REEL. Applications will only be considered if submitted WITH a video portfolio/reel demonstrating the work you've done.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.