Skip to main content

Design Document Discussion

Submitted by charcoal on
Forum

Good news everybody!
Here is the first draft of the GDD.

Give me your opinions and together we'll make this an awesome GDD to precede the awesome game!

Submitted by squashed_bug on Mon, 04/05/09 - 11:35 PM Permalink

I have been thinking about how to add Customers and Orders ...

A game is based around making burgers for a line of customers. Each customer will place an order for a Burger. Burgers are made up of a Bun gem and a random set of gem types for the filling. Possible filling gems are Beef, Cheese, Lettuce, Onion and Tomato.

The aim is to match 3 or more adjacent gems of the same type, this is known as a Chain. If the chain created is of a gem type that's needed for the customers burger, then that chain will be used, otherwise it is discarded. A discarded chain will increase the chances of Rat gems spawning. Chains of Rat gems are always added to the burger, much to the customers disgust.

When a chain of Bun gems is created the burger is complete and is served to the customer. A score for the burger is determined on how closely matched the burger served and the burger ordered are, penalties apply for Rat gems in burgers.

To go into some detail on how the game would actually play, I have created the below activity diagram:

You can download an editable version of the activity diagram from here.
You can edit it with Dia for Windows from here.

Let me know what you guys think. The scoring still needs some work. I don't like the idea of a player getting penalised by a big combo of chains if those chains aren't on the customers order.

Posted by charcoal on
Forum

Good news everybody!
Here is the first draft of the GDD.

Give me your opinions and together we'll make this an awesome GDD to precede the awesome game!

Submitted by squashed_bug on Mon, 04/05/09 - 11:35 PM Permalink

I have been thinking about how to add Customers and Orders ...

A game is based around making burgers for a line of customers. Each customer will place an order for a Burger. Burgers are made up of a Bun gem and a random set of gem types for the filling. Possible filling gems are Beef, Cheese, Lettuce, Onion and Tomato.

The aim is to match 3 or more adjacent gems of the same type, this is known as a Chain. If the chain created is of a gem type that's needed for the customers burger, then that chain will be used, otherwise it is discarded. A discarded chain will increase the chances of Rat gems spawning. Chains of Rat gems are always added to the burger, much to the customers disgust.

When a chain of Bun gems is created the burger is complete and is served to the customer. A score for the burger is determined on how closely matched the burger served and the burger ordered are, penalties apply for Rat gems in burgers.

To go into some detail on how the game would actually play, I have created the below activity diagram:

You can download an editable version of the activity diagram from here.
You can edit it with Dia for Windows from here.

Let me know what you guys think. The scoring still needs some work. I don't like the idea of a player getting penalised by a big combo of chains if those chains aren't on the customers order.