Skip to main content

AGDC 2003 - What did you think?

Submitted by Zaph on

It's all over for another year, just wondering what people thought of AGDC 2003 (assuming you attended)

Which were the best talks ?
What should you do differently next year ?
Did you win anything in the raffle ?
etc

Zaph [B)]

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 26/11/03 - 8:36 PM Permalink

Well I just thought I'd chip in and say that I'm incredibly bummed about not going this year...instead I had the dis-pleasure of mundane part time pizza-making over the weekend *yawn*.

Submitted by illume on Thu, 27/11/03 - 8:15 AM Permalink

Had a pretty good time. First agdc I've been to. Got bored out of my thick skull sitting at the stand showing off my game. As someone else there said; you can only walk around the hall ten times or so before you go mad. A few people seemed to like playing the game, some not. People played it more when I wasn't hanging around and I spied on them! ahha! The little man is always watching. Kind of got depressed after realising my game was the crappiest there. heh. Managed to do a couple of quick animations, fix a few bugs, and code a couple of small features whilst sitting there.

Met a few interesting people in the expo hall too. Had conversations on such topics as character animation, lighting algorithms, path finding, balancing game play, animation programs, freaky sound effects. Meeting different people was probably the highlight for me. Played all the unsigned games a number of times.

Not many females there at all. Were a couple who worked on two of the indie games, and a few at some other stands. Guess it is lucky every game company in australia has rejected me; not sure if I could stand hanging out with only males all the time.

Didn't see any talks, on that matter I was kind of bummed. Guess I could have snuck in like a couple of people did.

Had heaps of fun going out every night in melbourne. Only been there once before. Stayed accross the road from the convention center, at the all nations backpackers. $16 a night, clean enough, and cheap beer, was ok. Missed breakfast every single morning I was staying there. There were always nut cases on the trams. One guy went around asking everyone their favourite temperature. Then tried to convert them to the one true best temperature(16 apparently). Another guy got on and offered everyone some speed, and hit the tram windows occasionally.

Oh and my computer got trashed on the flight back to sydney. Damn chuckers. The front doesn't attach anymore, otherwise no obvious permanent damage.

ps, python rules mkay? Who needs c/c++, when you can code 99% of your game in python?

Have fun!

Submitted by 5 Lives Studios on Fri, 28/11/03 - 10:45 AM Permalink

[:D]

I enjoyed the whole experience. I got to box JI.

I really enjoyed the Ensamble Studio talk. Paul Steed was pretty funny.

Posted by Zaph on

It's all over for another year, just wondering what people thought of AGDC 2003 (assuming you attended)

Which were the best talks ?
What should you do differently next year ?
Did you win anything in the raffle ?
etc

Zaph [B)]

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 26/11/03 - 8:36 PM Permalink

Well I just thought I'd chip in and say that I'm incredibly bummed about not going this year...instead I had the dis-pleasure of mundane part time pizza-making over the weekend *yawn*.

Submitted by illume on Thu, 27/11/03 - 8:15 AM Permalink

Had a pretty good time. First agdc I've been to. Got bored out of my thick skull sitting at the stand showing off my game. As someone else there said; you can only walk around the hall ten times or so before you go mad. A few people seemed to like playing the game, some not. People played it more when I wasn't hanging around and I spied on them! ahha! The little man is always watching. Kind of got depressed after realising my game was the crappiest there. heh. Managed to do a couple of quick animations, fix a few bugs, and code a couple of small features whilst sitting there.

Met a few interesting people in the expo hall too. Had conversations on such topics as character animation, lighting algorithms, path finding, balancing game play, animation programs, freaky sound effects. Meeting different people was probably the highlight for me. Played all the unsigned games a number of times.

Not many females there at all. Were a couple who worked on two of the indie games, and a few at some other stands. Guess it is lucky every game company in australia has rejected me; not sure if I could stand hanging out with only males all the time.

Didn't see any talks, on that matter I was kind of bummed. Guess I could have snuck in like a couple of people did.

Had heaps of fun going out every night in melbourne. Only been there once before. Stayed accross the road from the convention center, at the all nations backpackers. $16 a night, clean enough, and cheap beer, was ok. Missed breakfast every single morning I was staying there. There were always nut cases on the trams. One guy went around asking everyone their favourite temperature. Then tried to convert them to the one true best temperature(16 apparently). Another guy got on and offered everyone some speed, and hit the tram windows occasionally.

Oh and my computer got trashed on the flight back to sydney. Damn chuckers. The front doesn't attach anymore, otherwise no obvious permanent damage.

ps, python rules mkay? Who needs c/c++, when you can code 99% of your game in python?

Have fun!

Submitted by 5 Lives Studios on Fri, 28/11/03 - 10:45 AM Permalink

[:D]

I enjoyed the whole experience. I got to box JI.

I really enjoyed the Ensamble Studio talk. Paul Steed was pretty funny.