Skip to main content

Total backflip

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

Submitted by souri on
Forum

I know you're gonna think "god damnit, I thought we all agreed on this!".. I really rallied for the car racing type mod, but upon serious reflection, I think a FPS mod would have much more of a lasting appeal in terms of gameplay, and that's what we most want in the end - people to actually play it (and to have stuff to show in our portfolio work too [:)]). I can imagine playing a racing game mod online for only a few rounds, and that's it. FPS are just more involving and require more tactics / strategy, than racing games..
My rationale for choosing a racing game was that it could be small scaled (didn't require a LOT of work), but I'm sure it can be the same for a FPS if we concentrate on a few maps and characters at first, and build upon that.. Oh, and if any of you have built vehicles, I'm sure we can still have them in the game..
One thing to note is that pretty much every man and his dog will be making a FPS team based ala counterstrike clone, but I don't think it matters.. personally, the goal is to have something to play that you made yourself..
Anyway, feel free to disagree or tell me off.. [:)] I know most of you are probably too busy to take part, but I'll certainly be doing things.. Reading up on the UT2k3 tutorials has got my imagination going. [:)]

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Tue, 29/10/02 - 8:30 PM Permalink

I think souri will agree but i think we NEEd to stop this discussion untill we make some simple decisions
So far we only know that the mod will be futuristic and thats all we know.
We have 2 "main" options raised being the hunt idead and futureistic CS style game. We have to make a decision before we start sayin things like "why don't we do this..." and "wouldn't this be cool..."
If we don't stop to consider this the mod WILL never get off the ground.
Then we can move on to things like type of setting/mood/atmosphere and other basics.
It seems people are trying to add the chrome fittings to the house before the foundation has been laid.
So lets start at the bottom and move up.
What will it be?

Bloody hell its a giant harmonica!

Submitted by boat on Wed, 30/10/02 - 3:42 AM Permalink

well what about this
just CS but with futuristic weapons
and only one play mode and thats the hunt
i guess we will need 2 races
could be aliens vs humans
or post nuke and have mutants vs the bomb shelter type

how about we start with that and thats all
then for release .2 we can add all the weapon special effects ?

Submitted by souri on Wed, 30/10/02 - 1:25 PM Permalink

quote:are we in a war torn world? technology running rampent? aliens? genetic modifications? polution causing posioning and starvation? capitalism? religion? moon colinist rebelling?

I didn't have any specific setting in mind when I said futuristic, but all those settings you've mentioned are valid to me as being futuristic. I hope that it is open enough so that whoever creates the maps will decide what they want to create (just as long as it isn't realist [:)]). I can see how sticking to a certain theme would be important if you were providing a storyline/single player experience, but in this case I don't feel it is as important. Basically, I'm not fussy.
I agree that it's a bit early to debate on intrinsic details, and that we should currently work on a goal of providing 1 CS type level, 1 hunt level, and 2 characters (which is enough for the time being for both game modes) to get things started.. I'm currently working on one model, and will do a map for the CS mode when I'm done. What would be great though is if someone can volunteer on doing scripting, or find someone who knows how to script with unreal. I'll let Meatex decide what he wants for the hunt mode, in terms of character types.

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Wed, 30/10/02 - 11:56 PM Permalink

Just to clarify...
are we setting in stone a mod, future based, with sci-fi CS AND a hunt mode?
I might look into scripting but i may not get ut2k3 for a while (unless someone gets it and i can burn it off em [8D])
Also we should look into appointed people with "official" positions so the people know who does what and who they go to to ask for say a texture or sound file.
For character types i have ideas but i am open to other ppls thoughts.
Yeah 2 characters sounds good cause we can use the "evil osama loving terrorists" as the hunters and the "counter-terrorists" as the hunted
That will be a good short - medium term oal but i know i wouldn't want to stop there. [8D]
Also there is nothing wrong with realistic, if we don't have realistic the map would suck. You can't really have like a pulsating fluro glob maze as a map (actually... [:p])
We just don't want modern realism.
Okay so now it feels like we are getting somewhere [;)]
and cause this smily looks funny [:0] i thought i would add it at the end [:D][8]

[:0]
there thats nice.
actually question: can we get the new features (ones that aren't in ut2k3 already like the hunted morphing into hunters and vise versa) using scripting or do we need to write some c++??

Submitted by boat on Thu, 31/10/02 - 2:08 AM Permalink

well im not actually sure about the scripting for UT2k3 but for unreal i dont think u could actually change any of that stuff with just scripting.
im pretty sure that to have to teams you have to c++

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Thu, 31/10/02 - 1:25 PM Permalink

Hows about this for a game type: Basically add an RTS element to CTF or just the regular game mode, this being a tactical shooter and all. Think about it, you've got to defend your base while attacking the others, build generators to run gun turrets and rocketlaunchers for defence, a vehicle factory and weaponsmith for assaulting your enemies base. You could earn cash by making kills and destroying vehicles/structures. get enough cash to upgrade your vehicles and weapons.
Just think command and conquer(no not renegade!although its multiplayers is like what I'm suggesting). I think it would certainly add a bit of originality to the tired old Tactical genre.

Lead paint: delicious but deadly!

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Thu, 31/10/02 - 9:23 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Fluffy CatFood

Hows about this for a game type: Basically add an RTS element to CTF or just the regular game mode

I thought we had decided on the 2 modes. Although your suggestion could be fun (if it was similar to like tribes 2 cause i didn't like what i played of renegade demo)
I think we could look at that after we have something.
Also unless we can get ourselves a good coder i think it will be out of our reach. So far both modes suggested implement things already in the game, so we don't have to do much more then copy and paste and maybe a few original lines here and there.
I thought we were moving on now, i believe that we have chosen the mod we are going to do. We need to go more into specifics now.

Submitted by boat on Thu, 31/10/02 - 11:28 PM Permalink

i like Fluffy CatFood's idea.
might be a bit out of reach tho.

and we could have some kind of resource to get money.
likeu have to run over and get some and run back to the base
then you could have people defending the resources.

just think it would be a cool idea
i remember once there was a fps starcraft type of mod
dont think it got finished tho
it would be a huge project.

Submitted by Adrian Moore Music on Tue, 10/12/02 - 1:01 PM Permalink

Hey guys -- stumbled onto this thread. I noticed Oni was mentioned here a few times. I was going to humbly ask if you'd considered doing a faithful port of Oni into UT2K3. One of the greatest dissapointments with Oni was, of course, its lack of multiplayer mode.

A faithful port of Oni characters, moves, and weapons (Mercury Bow, hmmmm), would give the thousands of frustrated Oni players out there a chance to try out Oni multiplayer, and would provide a really cool (imho) framework to work out specific multiplayer gametypes centered around Assault and CTF, and massive coops.

Aside from the technical scripting feat of coding comboes etc, the main challenge would be to balance out characters for gameplay, otherwise you'd have 14445 Konokoes on the battlefield. There too would be an opportunity for some creative thinking. Between Muro, the Ninjas, the furies and (perhaps) Barabas, you could have character classes, and simply change things like hair/costume color changes to differentiate players.

For my part, I'm a sound/music engineer, and would be willing to contribute.

Just a thought.

-gh

Submitted by Adrian Moore Music on Wed, 11/12/02 - 1:13 PM Permalink

Fascinating article. Thanks for the link.

Actually, my first job was working at a law firm that specialized in 1st Amendment, publishing, and intellectual property law. I would never want to embark on a project that didn't have permission from the original owners, ie Take 2. The purpose of my post was just to put some feelers out to see if anyone might be interested.

As for the "lack of creativity" involved... I should think that anyone who has played Oni for more than 5 minutes has realized the tremendous potential it has as a multiplayer game. While Oni had working LAN gameplay, TCP/IP presented several latency issues, issues which couldn't be solved in time for its release. As may know, Oni was sold to Take 2 when Bungie was bought out by Microsoft.

To be sure, the bulk of the grueling work involved porting the models would be in fact "non-creative;" same with the sounds, and textures.

Nevertheless, designing multiplayer gametypes, balancing out the game's characters and moves, and making Oni-like levels would, imho, be an incredibly creative and rewarding process, not to mention that it would have a built-in audience/PR network by the sheer fact that most Oni players never got to experience Oni multiplayer.

Cheers,

-gh

Submitted by souri on Wed, 11/12/02 - 1:39 PM Permalink

The mod is not really moving anyway at the moment - I've been pretty busy, but the idea that's discussed so far doesn't require tooo much work, I think, whereas that Oni conversion looks like it does, especially from a coding point of view - we mainly have artistic types who have shown an interest in participating.. and the purpose for this mod, I had hoped, would be so that those who contributed would have some more material to show off in their portfolios. I think porting other peoples work and design isn't a good way to show your own abilities to employers.. having said that, Oni does sound very interesting. I'm pretty keen to try it out now. [:)]
There's another article at Gamespy that is about mods and I.P copyright... http://www.3dactionplanet.com/features/editorials/foxedmods/

quote:Fox has been known to contact the mod authors and demand that production cease, that the mods website be removed, that all files from the mod be placed in Fox's ownership, with all other copies destroyed, and that the real-life names and addresses of all mod team members be sent to Fox.

ouch!

Submitted by Adrian Moore Music on Thu, 12/12/02 - 3:04 PM Permalink

Ouch -- painful story. Glad that wasn't me.

I've done a little bit of soundwork for a UT Mod that's gotten about 30,000 downloads to date. It aims to recreate the gameplay of an old Mac game that never had multiplayer, and our team leader contacted the game's copyright owner ahead of time. It's not only dumb to _not_ do that ahead of time, it's illegal. Once your work gets forwarded to legal of a big company like Fox, you're done for hehe.

As far as getting noticed by prospective employers... you're seeing fewer and bigger game titles being developped in today's market. Whereas in the 80s, you'd see a ton of titles being released because the teams were so small, the credits of today's releases read more like cinematic credits rather than game credits. Rather than having, say, 20 games come out from a company, they'll put out 5, but those will be ported to (or from) several platforms, including consoles. That in itself is becoming (or has become, depending whom you talk to) a non-negligible feature of the gaming landscape.

And yeah, you're right. It would be tons of work. :)

Cheers,

-gh

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 08/01/03 - 4:29 AM Permalink

From an outsiders perspective, I think you guys need to figure out who is going to actually make the decisions. There are plenty of suggestions, but until you guys formally decide on something, preferably in some kind of preogranised chat room meeting or something, or teleconference, then nothing is going to happen except lots of people throwing up ideas.

I also suggest that perhaps u come up with a panel of people who will decide on it and organise the ideas, rather than letting all the programmers/artists/musicians/whatever being involved in every part of the decision making process, especially with the limited communication tools provided on this forum. Having a panel that is open to consultation with these people is a far better solution than just craploads of ideas that aren't being decided upon.

Submitted by Discmage on Wed, 16/06/04 - 2:15 PM Permalink

Hopefully I read all the important things on this thread...but anyway...here's my twwo cents...with an iffy u key to boot.

I agree on not doing a car game, there are HEAPS of them out now, especially for UT2004...so I agree on that one losing appeal :) ALthough what I WOULD like to see, is a racing game based on more fantastical environs. Take Rallisport 2 for example, but make the tracks fantastical in appeal, loops and corkscrews, 'themed' tracks rather than just different locations on the globe. THink micro machines but throwing in completely out there creations. Fun parks, super dense jungle, mines, underwater racweways, space stations, differnt planets, 'altered' states ;), places where you wouldn't find racing.

I personally think futuristic FPS are a little over done too, unless you have some really cool idea in it...I think we'd really need to go way out there for creativity and get outside the ball park. One thing this industry lacks nowadays is really original ideas, and as much as I'm not saying I have the answers to GETTING original...surely there is a better option than another futuristic shooter. not saying it's a bad idea, just that it's not as out there as it COULD be.

Here are some of my ideas, take them as a grain of salt as I, too, suffer from falling to industry standards :)

A cartoon FPS...something like Mario cross with Doom 3. Cartoon enemies and guns with cute sounds. Or you actually cross cartoon AND realistic. Much like roger rabbit or Cool World :) The world is getting taken over by toons from a rift between worlds, and you have to kill all the toons to save the world!! :) You start off with realistic weapons and then you can start using ones from the toon world :) Extendable boxing glove gun anyone?? :) Anvil Painter or Piano Strike perhaps?

A fantasy FPS...like heretic. Haven't seen one of these in a while, not of note anyway. magic and wizards battling it out. You could have a lot of fun conjuring spells at each other.

Onslaught with animals, instead of vehicles. Think of a war between two amazonian tribes...each having their own beasts to ride on with weapons. This could also be portrayed as Dinotopia...with dinosaurs to be ridden on with weapons.

You could all help me with the Warhammer 40K mod I am working on! :) hehe

Sci-fantasy is a realm that hasn't really been covered much...I have a reality based on this premise in the making (so if you need concepts, I'm your man)...but you cross technology with magic and come up with some fantastic ideas. Magic powered rifles for example. I intend on making a full game of this one day, MMORPG perhaps :) But that's a while away yet I think :)

Maybe think of some really basic games...you said to keep it small and build from there. Rememebr all the the party games they have come out with like in Mario party etc. Put yourself in a first person view of some of these perhaps. I remember this cool one in a Crash bandicoot one where each play had one side of a square and had to stop a ball from getting past them by bouncing it back at the other teams...if we made small games like this, each in first person we couldrelease each one as a minimod. SOmething that is simple, fast and frantic.

Something about the body, have it like an Osmosis Jones game where you have to defeat bad germs etc. But actually make it a COOL game!

We could make a game similar to GTA in that you walk around and drive...The purpose is to get to the end of the race by whatever means, this includes getting out of the car sometimes and taking shortcuts...or ruining bits of road for other people or doing all sorts of things.

Chess :) It's for two players...and initially it is chess, but if you take a piece it takes you into a small arena and you have to fight between the two. But if you are a pawn against a queen, the queen has cooler weapons, or is faster or can move more or whatever.

um...I should probably stop there :) Sorry for rambling...I get a little carried away sometimes :)

Submitted by Discmage on Wed, 16/06/04 - 2:28 PM Permalink

Oh, on that note...I know a fair bit about UT2004 as an engine...importing characters and now vehicles. So I'm all for that engine were it ito be used.

Also, I apologise if it WAS the wrong post/time etc...One was the mod, then I read there was a complete flip and I just hit reply to whatever I was reading at the time relating to this mod. :)

I also agree with designating someone as decision makers. A mod is REALLY bad without a key figure or two to make the final decision and organise people...things don't happen if one isn't placed. Maybe we do that and then start a vote on the type of mod...I'd say we have enough ideas. We need to focus on the idea first before we can make one. Bite the bullet and see what happens.

I'm all for the real world VS toon world. Ther's enough creative outlet in THAT realm to go nuts! Anyone can do stuff for it as it covers all aspects of design sense, and as it's a toon / non real world people can make acoording to their particular tastes and skillset. It's not all out original, but it would certainly suit our little community (or big, as it were).

ANyway, enough of voting for my own ideas :) I recommend a spokesperson/ organiser. I assume Souri would be one of these?? I would probably help out, but I'm new here and probably wouldn't command the respek' that a person in that position would require. So someone who knows this place well would be good I reckon.

Geez I'm bossy aren't I! I should stop that perhaps :) I WILL shutup now :)

Submitted by Discmage on Wed, 16/06/04 - 2:31 PM Permalink

And you're going to hate me...cos I just read you HAD organised a theme...the futuristic hunt the dead thing.

I take EVERYTHING I said back...And I'll look in other forums so as to leave this one completely alone :)

Unless, of course, the dead are cartoons ;)

Submitted by souri on Wed, 16/06/04 - 2:53 PM Permalink

This thread and all the ideas in it were written 2 years ago! So I think you can really forget pretty much most of it.

I reckon toonstyle would be *great*. Not as much effort required with textures etc as you'd have with a realistic mod. Check out this [url="http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=387013"]toon style map in UT 2k4[/url]. It's incredible! I reckon with some nicely animated characters (bunnies etc?) in a map like that with an interesting game idea would be the shiznit!

Submitted by Discmage on Thu, 17/06/04 - 1:45 AM Permalink

Oh, that IS a class act! :)

Well anyway, just to fond that map was worth all the junk I wrote up...thanks for that...

It WOULD be cool to do a Real VS Toon mod though...I might have to think about that maybe :) LAong with my 4 other main projects :)

Did this thing even get CLOSE to taking off the ground?

Posted by souri on
Forum

I know you're gonna think "god damnit, I thought we all agreed on this!".. I really rallied for the car racing type mod, but upon serious reflection, I think a FPS mod would have much more of a lasting appeal in terms of gameplay, and that's what we most want in the end - people to actually play it (and to have stuff to show in our portfolio work too [:)]). I can imagine playing a racing game mod online for only a few rounds, and that's it. FPS are just more involving and require more tactics / strategy, than racing games..
My rationale for choosing a racing game was that it could be small scaled (didn't require a LOT of work), but I'm sure it can be the same for a FPS if we concentrate on a few maps and characters at first, and build upon that.. Oh, and if any of you have built vehicles, I'm sure we can still have them in the game..
One thing to note is that pretty much every man and his dog will be making a FPS team based ala counterstrike clone, but I don't think it matters.. personally, the goal is to have something to play that you made yourself..
Anyway, feel free to disagree or tell me off.. [:)] I know most of you are probably too busy to take part, but I'll certainly be doing things.. Reading up on the UT2k3 tutorials has got my imagination going. [:)]

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Tue, 29/10/02 - 8:30 PM Permalink

I think souri will agree but i think we NEEd to stop this discussion untill we make some simple decisions
So far we only know that the mod will be futuristic and thats all we know.
We have 2 "main" options raised being the hunt idead and futureistic CS style game. We have to make a decision before we start sayin things like "why don't we do this..." and "wouldn't this be cool..."
If we don't stop to consider this the mod WILL never get off the ground.
Then we can move on to things like type of setting/mood/atmosphere and other basics.
It seems people are trying to add the chrome fittings to the house before the foundation has been laid.
So lets start at the bottom and move up.
What will it be?

Submitted by boat on Wed, 30/10/02 - 3:42 AM Permalink

well what about this
just CS but with futuristic weapons
and only one play mode and thats the hunt
i guess we will need 2 races
could be aliens vs humans
or post nuke and have mutants vs the bomb shelter type

how about we start with that and thats all
then for release .2 we can add all the weapon special effects ?

Submitted by souri on Wed, 30/10/02 - 1:25 PM Permalink

quote:are we in a war torn world? technology running rampent? aliens? genetic modifications? polution causing posioning and starvation? capitalism? religion? moon colinist rebelling?

I didn't have any specific setting in mind when I said futuristic, but all those settings you've mentioned are valid to me as being futuristic. I hope that it is open enough so that whoever creates the maps will decide what they want to create (just as long as it isn't realist [:)]). I can see how sticking to a certain theme would be important if you were providing a storyline/single player experience, but in this case I don't feel it is as important. Basically, I'm not fussy.
I agree that it's a bit early to debate on intrinsic details, and that we should currently work on a goal of providing 1 CS type level, 1 hunt level, and 2 characters (which is enough for the time being for both game modes) to get things started.. I'm currently working on one model, and will do a map for the CS mode when I'm done. What would be great though is if someone can volunteer on doing scripting, or find someone who knows how to script with unreal. I'll let Meatex decide what he wants for the hunt mode, in terms of character types.

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Wed, 30/10/02 - 11:56 PM Permalink

Just to clarify...
are we setting in stone a mod, future based, with sci-fi CS AND a hunt mode?
I might look into scripting but i may not get ut2k3 for a while (unless someone gets it and i can burn it off em [8D])
Also we should look into appointed people with "official" positions so the people know who does what and who they go to to ask for say a texture or sound file.
For character types i have ideas but i am open to other ppls thoughts.
Yeah 2 characters sounds good cause we can use the "evil osama loving terrorists" as the hunters and the "counter-terrorists" as the hunted
That will be a good short - medium term oal but i know i wouldn't want to stop there. [8D]
Also there is nothing wrong with realistic, if we don't have realistic the map would suck. You can't really have like a pulsating fluro glob maze as a map (actually... [:p])
We just don't want modern realism.
Okay so now it feels like we are getting somewhere [;)]
and cause this smily looks funny [:0] i thought i would add it at the end [:D][8]

[:0]
there thats nice.
actually question: can we get the new features (ones that aren't in ut2k3 already like the hunted morphing into hunters and vise versa) using scripting or do we need to write some c++??

Submitted by boat on Thu, 31/10/02 - 2:08 AM Permalink

well im not actually sure about the scripting for UT2k3 but for unreal i dont think u could actually change any of that stuff with just scripting.
im pretty sure that to have to teams you have to c++

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Thu, 31/10/02 - 1:25 PM Permalink

Hows about this for a game type: Basically add an RTS element to CTF or just the regular game mode, this being a tactical shooter and all. Think about it, you've got to defend your base while attacking the others, build generators to run gun turrets and rocketlaunchers for defence, a vehicle factory and weaponsmith for assaulting your enemies base. You could earn cash by making kills and destroying vehicles/structures. get enough cash to upgrade your vehicles and weapons.
Just think command and conquer(no not renegade!although its multiplayers is like what I'm suggesting). I think it would certainly add a bit of originality to the tired old Tactical genre.

Lead paint: delicious but deadly!

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Thu, 31/10/02 - 9:23 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Fluffy CatFood

Hows about this for a game type: Basically add an RTS element to CTF or just the regular game mode

I thought we had decided on the 2 modes. Although your suggestion could be fun (if it was similar to like tribes 2 cause i didn't like what i played of renegade demo)
I think we could look at that after we have something.
Also unless we can get ourselves a good coder i think it will be out of our reach. So far both modes suggested implement things already in the game, so we don't have to do much more then copy and paste and maybe a few original lines here and there.
I thought we were moving on now, i believe that we have chosen the mod we are going to do. We need to go more into specifics now.

Submitted by boat on Thu, 31/10/02 - 11:28 PM Permalink

i like Fluffy CatFood's idea.
might be a bit out of reach tho.

and we could have some kind of resource to get money.
likeu have to run over and get some and run back to the base
then you could have people defending the resources.

just think it would be a cool idea
i remember once there was a fps starcraft type of mod
dont think it got finished tho
it would be a huge project.

Submitted by Adrian Moore Music on Tue, 10/12/02 - 1:01 PM Permalink

Hey guys -- stumbled onto this thread. I noticed Oni was mentioned here a few times. I was going to humbly ask if you'd considered doing a faithful port of Oni into UT2K3. One of the greatest dissapointments with Oni was, of course, its lack of multiplayer mode.

A faithful port of Oni characters, moves, and weapons (Mercury Bow, hmmmm), would give the thousands of frustrated Oni players out there a chance to try out Oni multiplayer, and would provide a really cool (imho) framework to work out specific multiplayer gametypes centered around Assault and CTF, and massive coops.

Aside from the technical scripting feat of coding comboes etc, the main challenge would be to balance out characters for gameplay, otherwise you'd have 14445 Konokoes on the battlefield. There too would be an opportunity for some creative thinking. Between Muro, the Ninjas, the furies and (perhaps) Barabas, you could have character classes, and simply change things like hair/costume color changes to differentiate players.

For my part, I'm a sound/music engineer, and would be willing to contribute.

Just a thought.

-gh

Submitted by Adrian Moore Music on Wed, 11/12/02 - 1:13 PM Permalink

Fascinating article. Thanks for the link.

Actually, my first job was working at a law firm that specialized in 1st Amendment, publishing, and intellectual property law. I would never want to embark on a project that didn't have permission from the original owners, ie Take 2. The purpose of my post was just to put some feelers out to see if anyone might be interested.

As for the "lack of creativity" involved... I should think that anyone who has played Oni for more than 5 minutes has realized the tremendous potential it has as a multiplayer game. While Oni had working LAN gameplay, TCP/IP presented several latency issues, issues which couldn't be solved in time for its release. As may know, Oni was sold to Take 2 when Bungie was bought out by Microsoft.

To be sure, the bulk of the grueling work involved porting the models would be in fact "non-creative;" same with the sounds, and textures.

Nevertheless, designing multiplayer gametypes, balancing out the game's characters and moves, and making Oni-like levels would, imho, be an incredibly creative and rewarding process, not to mention that it would have a built-in audience/PR network by the sheer fact that most Oni players never got to experience Oni multiplayer.

Cheers,

-gh

Submitted by souri on Wed, 11/12/02 - 1:39 PM Permalink

The mod is not really moving anyway at the moment - I've been pretty busy, but the idea that's discussed so far doesn't require tooo much work, I think, whereas that Oni conversion looks like it does, especially from a coding point of view - we mainly have artistic types who have shown an interest in participating.. and the purpose for this mod, I had hoped, would be so that those who contributed would have some more material to show off in their portfolios. I think porting other peoples work and design isn't a good way to show your own abilities to employers.. having said that, Oni does sound very interesting. I'm pretty keen to try it out now. [:)]
There's another article at Gamespy that is about mods and I.P copyright... http://www.3dactionplanet.com/features/editorials/foxedmods/

quote:Fox has been known to contact the mod authors and demand that production cease, that the mods website be removed, that all files from the mod be placed in Fox's ownership, with all other copies destroyed, and that the real-life names and addresses of all mod team members be sent to Fox.

ouch!

Submitted by Adrian Moore Music on Thu, 12/12/02 - 3:04 PM Permalink

Ouch -- painful story. Glad that wasn't me.

I've done a little bit of soundwork for a UT Mod that's gotten about 30,000 downloads to date. It aims to recreate the gameplay of an old Mac game that never had multiplayer, and our team leader contacted the game's copyright owner ahead of time. It's not only dumb to _not_ do that ahead of time, it's illegal. Once your work gets forwarded to legal of a big company like Fox, you're done for hehe.

As far as getting noticed by prospective employers... you're seeing fewer and bigger game titles being developped in today's market. Whereas in the 80s, you'd see a ton of titles being released because the teams were so small, the credits of today's releases read more like cinematic credits rather than game credits. Rather than having, say, 20 games come out from a company, they'll put out 5, but those will be ported to (or from) several platforms, including consoles. That in itself is becoming (or has become, depending whom you talk to) a non-negligible feature of the gaming landscape.

And yeah, you're right. It would be tons of work. :)

Cheers,

-gh

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 08/01/03 - 4:29 AM Permalink

From an outsiders perspective, I think you guys need to figure out who is going to actually make the decisions. There are plenty of suggestions, but until you guys formally decide on something, preferably in some kind of preogranised chat room meeting or something, or teleconference, then nothing is going to happen except lots of people throwing up ideas.

I also suggest that perhaps u come up with a panel of people who will decide on it and organise the ideas, rather than letting all the programmers/artists/musicians/whatever being involved in every part of the decision making process, especially with the limited communication tools provided on this forum. Having a panel that is open to consultation with these people is a far better solution than just craploads of ideas that aren't being decided upon.

Submitted by Discmage on Wed, 16/06/04 - 2:15 PM Permalink

Hopefully I read all the important things on this thread...but anyway...here's my twwo cents...with an iffy u key to boot.

I agree on not doing a car game, there are HEAPS of them out now, especially for UT2004...so I agree on that one losing appeal :) ALthough what I WOULD like to see, is a racing game based on more fantastical environs. Take Rallisport 2 for example, but make the tracks fantastical in appeal, loops and corkscrews, 'themed' tracks rather than just different locations on the globe. THink micro machines but throwing in completely out there creations. Fun parks, super dense jungle, mines, underwater racweways, space stations, differnt planets, 'altered' states ;), places where you wouldn't find racing.

I personally think futuristic FPS are a little over done too, unless you have some really cool idea in it...I think we'd really need to go way out there for creativity and get outside the ball park. One thing this industry lacks nowadays is really original ideas, and as much as I'm not saying I have the answers to GETTING original...surely there is a better option than another futuristic shooter. not saying it's a bad idea, just that it's not as out there as it COULD be.

Here are some of my ideas, take them as a grain of salt as I, too, suffer from falling to industry standards :)

A cartoon FPS...something like Mario cross with Doom 3. Cartoon enemies and guns with cute sounds. Or you actually cross cartoon AND realistic. Much like roger rabbit or Cool World :) The world is getting taken over by toons from a rift between worlds, and you have to kill all the toons to save the world!! :) You start off with realistic weapons and then you can start using ones from the toon world :) Extendable boxing glove gun anyone?? :) Anvil Painter or Piano Strike perhaps?

A fantasy FPS...like heretic. Haven't seen one of these in a while, not of note anyway. magic and wizards battling it out. You could have a lot of fun conjuring spells at each other.

Onslaught with animals, instead of vehicles. Think of a war between two amazonian tribes...each having their own beasts to ride on with weapons. This could also be portrayed as Dinotopia...with dinosaurs to be ridden on with weapons.

You could all help me with the Warhammer 40K mod I am working on! :) hehe

Sci-fantasy is a realm that hasn't really been covered much...I have a reality based on this premise in the making (so if you need concepts, I'm your man)...but you cross technology with magic and come up with some fantastic ideas. Magic powered rifles for example. I intend on making a full game of this one day, MMORPG perhaps :) But that's a while away yet I think :)

Maybe think of some really basic games...you said to keep it small and build from there. Rememebr all the the party games they have come out with like in Mario party etc. Put yourself in a first person view of some of these perhaps. I remember this cool one in a Crash bandicoot one where each play had one side of a square and had to stop a ball from getting past them by bouncing it back at the other teams...if we made small games like this, each in first person we couldrelease each one as a minimod. SOmething that is simple, fast and frantic.

Something about the body, have it like an Osmosis Jones game where you have to defeat bad germs etc. But actually make it a COOL game!

We could make a game similar to GTA in that you walk around and drive...The purpose is to get to the end of the race by whatever means, this includes getting out of the car sometimes and taking shortcuts...or ruining bits of road for other people or doing all sorts of things.

Chess :) It's for two players...and initially it is chess, but if you take a piece it takes you into a small arena and you have to fight between the two. But if you are a pawn against a queen, the queen has cooler weapons, or is faster or can move more or whatever.

um...I should probably stop there :) Sorry for rambling...I get a little carried away sometimes :)

Submitted by Discmage on Wed, 16/06/04 - 2:28 PM Permalink

Oh, on that note...I know a fair bit about UT2004 as an engine...importing characters and now vehicles. So I'm all for that engine were it ito be used.

Also, I apologise if it WAS the wrong post/time etc...One was the mod, then I read there was a complete flip and I just hit reply to whatever I was reading at the time relating to this mod. :)

I also agree with designating someone as decision makers. A mod is REALLY bad without a key figure or two to make the final decision and organise people...things don't happen if one isn't placed. Maybe we do that and then start a vote on the type of mod...I'd say we have enough ideas. We need to focus on the idea first before we can make one. Bite the bullet and see what happens.

I'm all for the real world VS toon world. Ther's enough creative outlet in THAT realm to go nuts! Anyone can do stuff for it as it covers all aspects of design sense, and as it's a toon / non real world people can make acoording to their particular tastes and skillset. It's not all out original, but it would certainly suit our little community (or big, as it were).

ANyway, enough of voting for my own ideas :) I recommend a spokesperson/ organiser. I assume Souri would be one of these?? I would probably help out, but I'm new here and probably wouldn't command the respek' that a person in that position would require. So someone who knows this place well would be good I reckon.

Geez I'm bossy aren't I! I should stop that perhaps :) I WILL shutup now :)

Submitted by Discmage on Wed, 16/06/04 - 2:31 PM Permalink

And you're going to hate me...cos I just read you HAD organised a theme...the futuristic hunt the dead thing.

I take EVERYTHING I said back...And I'll look in other forums so as to leave this one completely alone :)

Unless, of course, the dead are cartoons ;)

Submitted by souri on Wed, 16/06/04 - 2:53 PM Permalink

This thread and all the ideas in it were written 2 years ago! So I think you can really forget pretty much most of it.

I reckon toonstyle would be *great*. Not as much effort required with textures etc as you'd have with a realistic mod. Check out this [url="http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=387013"]toon style map in UT 2k4[/url]. It's incredible! I reckon with some nicely animated characters (bunnies etc?) in a map like that with an interesting game idea would be the shiznit!

Submitted by Discmage on Thu, 17/06/04 - 1:45 AM Permalink

Oh, that IS a class act! :)

Well anyway, just to fond that map was worth all the junk I wrote up...thanks for that...

It WOULD be cool to do a Real VS Toon mod though...I might have to think about that maybe :) LAong with my 4 other main projects :)

Did this thing even get CLOSE to taking off the ground?